Saturday, August 2, 2014Partly Cloudy 19°C

New in Toronto real estate: Minto 30 Roe Condos

Posted by Robyn Urback / February 7, 2013

minto 30 roeMinto 30 Roe is yet another new condo set to arrive at Yonge and Eglinton. Planned for just north of the giant E Condo duo, this building will be slightly more modest, slightly more conventional, and a lot better priced. Rising 34 floors with close to 400 units in total, this condo might have a solid framework, but if you're looking for luxury, better prepare to upgrade. Here is a closer look at Minto 30 Roe.

minto 30 roe condo torontoSPECS

Address: 30 Roehampton Ave.

Floors: 34

Total number of units: 397

Types of units: One bedroom, one-plus-den, two bedroom, two-plus-den, townhomes

Unit sizes (in square feet): 503-920

Ceiling heights: 9' (from unfinished floor to unfinished ceiling)

Prices from: Low $300,000's

Parking: Starting from $46,000 (for select suites, plus maintenance fee)

Locker: $4,500 (plus maintenance fee)

Maintenance fees: $0.54

Developer: Minto

Architect: Rudy Wallman Architects Inc.

Interior Design: II by IV Design

Amenities: Outdoor terrace, party room, gym, media room

Expected occupancy: Spring 2015

minto 30 roe condo torontoTHE GOOD

According to developers, 30 reasons to love Minto 30 Roe include "No.2: A low fat, no foam latte on every corner," and "No.8: It's not just a condominium, it's a lifestyle." Boo. I'm on to you, nutritionist copywriters. While there are very many real reasons to extol this project, its virtues should be capped before we start digressing to foamless lattes. The location, for one, is an obvious boon, steps away from the subway and right at the heart of action at Yonge and Eglinton.

While the area still begs for an alternative to the Metro at the Yonge Eglinton Centre (as well as respite from Saturday night 905 kids heading "downtown"), the neighbourhood does have plenty of options for eating, shopping, drinking, and primping. And though I may be belittling myself to say so, the hot dog stand on the southwest corner has some of the best street meat around. That's a reason to buy a $400,000 condo, right?

minto 30 roe condo torontoPerhaps a better reason is the fact that many of the layouts are actually quite practical, some with built-in breakfast bars, fair-sized balconies, and ample closet space. My pick for a starter investment would be the one-bed, one-bath Bayview layout (588 s.f.), which is laid out with a fairly spacious living and dining area, a walk in closet, and a (sort of pitiful) 57-square-foot balcony.

Starting at $358,900, it's not exactly a steal, but I've seen much worse options in much poorer locations for a lot more than $610 per square foot. And yes, apparently my standards have taken a beating.

minto 30 roe condo torontoTHE BAD

This is one where you clearly need to read the fine print. Those "soaring" 9-foot ceilings are from the unfinished floor to the unfinished ceiling. Parking spots are priced from $46,000. And blink and you'll miss the part where it says that those who own parking spaces and lockers will be subject to additional monthly fees. What happened to this all being about the lifestyle, Minto?

minto 30 roe condo torontoThe finishes, too, leave much to be desired. Laminate floors, awful stipple ceiling (people still use that?), and 24" appliances are just some of the features, which granted, aren't terrible on their own, but combined and for that price aren't exactly winning points. And considering Minto 30 Roe is just one of a handful of new condo projects in the area, its cheaper finishes might not necessarily stand up to the competition.

THE VERDICT

If I leave the ceiling unfinished, can I count on the extra height?

minto 30 roe condo torontoWhat do you think? Would you live here? Add your comments to the thread below.

Read other posts in this series via our Toronto Condos and Lofts Pinterest board

jameson / February 7, 2013 at 09:06 am
You make some very good points on this review, definitely paying for the cachet of the area (which I don't think exists at all...). But if you're going to make a generalization regarding, "one of few developments," and the advantage of shopping around for a potential better deal, maybe you should actually look into other projects and see if this better deal actually exists rather than falsely claiming it does.

Ron / February 7, 2013 at 09:39 am
I would agree. Minto is not advertising luxury living.
9 foot ceilings are standard in the condo market, anything higher would be considered luxury product and would increase the cost $60-80 psf.
The reason I wouldn't buy in this area is the traffic congestion is out of control. There are over 3000 new condo units planned for this area in the next 3-4 years. There are no new schools, new parks, or public parking (in fact, public parking is being eliminated with new condos) planned for this area..
Mikey / February 7, 2013 at 10:15 am
~$606/sqft?

Is: Overpriced box for Asian investors.
Is Not: Adequate living quarters for young professionals.
Bubba / February 7, 2013 at 10:28 am
looks like yonge and egg will look like yonge and shepp, just a massive ugly wind tunnel
Anna / February 7, 2013 at 11:20 am
I wonder how dated that lobby and gym are going to look in 10 years.
Alex / February 7, 2013 at 11:20 am
One of the first condo projects I would actually consider buying. The kitchens look pretty well laid out, the price is good for the location, and I love the area. Would definitely need to look at the floor plans though first. Plus no pool to drive up maintenance fees! They have just the right number of amenities to make things more convenient without costing a ton of money maintenance fees. Stucco ceilings sucks though, I wonder if there is a way to remove that?

I don't understand what 24" appliances are (is that the diagonal length of the stove or something?), but they look fine. I don't get what you mean by 905 kids heading downtown, unless you mean they are coming here as downtown, since 905ers take the GO Train. I've never seen a huge number of kids walking around at night here though, did you just make that up?
Rick replying to a comment from Alex / February 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm
And here my Friends is an example of the douche-baggery that would even consider living in this overpriced glass and concrete shoe-box.

I really hate this area - no soul, and an influx of transient asshats come to this area Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays for a reason that I will never understand.

Have fun living within a glass wind tunnel, with crazy ass trafic, and trying to make friends with the other self conscience douche's that inhabit here.
Robert replying to a comment from Rick / February 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm
I am sure those that will live there are happy you will not be calling this area home. Good luck wherever you find peace to hang your hat.
Rob replying to a comment from Rick / February 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm
I live here because I like the convenience. Twenty minutes to work, all amenities close by.

You're dead on about everything else though and the area will further decline on the character side of things.
EC / February 7, 2013 at 01:46 pm
I need to GTFO of Y&E. So sick of the crowds. Yeah sure the Metro and LCBO are a few steps away from me, but inside those stores, it is mayhem and it takes me just as long to pay for my items as it would if I had got into my car and drove to Leaside.
Alex replying to a comment from Rick / February 7, 2013 at 02:28 pm
Haha, talk about the kettle calling the pot black. Unless you're just trolling, in that case ignore this response.

I live in the area already, what are you talking about an influx of transients on thursdays, fridays, and saturdays? There are lots of bars and the movie theatre so obviously people come to hang out, how anti-social are you that you hate other people that much? As someone who grew up in the suburbs I'm very glad lots of people hang around here at night, because it's a lot safer and less creepy than deserted streets.

If you don't like traffic maybe you should move to the country? Seriously, what is the point of living on a transit hub if you don't use it? I never understand people complaining about traffic in a city, that's just part of living in a vibrant city.

Again, tall buildings cause wind, so yes, any real city will have wind tunnels. Sounds like your issue is just with city living? Maybe you should just move to the suburbs. Lots of room to drive there, and nobody goes anywhere on any night except for douchey house parties and loitering in parking lots. Sounds like your kind of time.
Jakob / February 7, 2013 at 02:55 pm
According to an urban-development-buff friend of mine, the Madison condo on the South side of Eglinton East will host a Loblaws. Given that the Madison is going into construction already, maybe Metro is going to get some weight off their shoulders.

Or, you know, they could just assign enough cashiers to their checkouts. The real reason that Metro is so crowded seems to be that, probably due to the lack of alternatives, it doesn't pay off for them financially to staff their store adequately.
tommy replying to a comment from Alex / February 7, 2013 at 06:18 pm
I know it might be hard to understand, it's kind of a Toronto thing to hate on people from the suburbs, but there's a certain kind of person who moves to Yonge and Eglinton that drives native Torontoians crazy. It's a subtle subconscious thing - like gaydar - that 416ers can pick up on 905ers. I'd describe it as not appreciating the intrinsic value of an older, established neighbourhood, which a person who grew up in a slapdash suburb probably wouldn't really get. Plastering over North Toronto with condos is urban sprawl part 2; the Walmart solution, easily digested and thrown away. Density is surely the way to go, but soon the area will be nothing but chain restaurants and stores, all peddling the same slop, closing at 8, with all the character and variety of a SmartCentre(tm). You can't blame the natives for feeling bitter about the culture change pushed on them by developers and out-of-towners.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from tommy / February 7, 2013 at 07:42 pm
And I don't; that's why I've often said that these places should be built further north and east of Yonge and Eglington. There must be plots of land on York Mills, Finch or on Sheppard that can accommodate these condos (in fact, a condo's being built across from the Ikea on Sheppard Avenue.) So I ask again, why can't these condo developments be built in the suburbanized parts of Toronto?
seanm replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / February 7, 2013 at 11:07 pm
Condos are built in pre-established neighbourhoods because people demand it. They're attracted to the already established retail, restaurant and nightlife scenes of certain areas, leading developers to build condos that will get snapped up.

There's a market for condos in less urbanized areas as well, and many projects are in development, but the builders can't charge as much PSF leading them to focus on "goldmine" locations with a lot of hype (Y+E, St Clair, or any of the rapidly gentrifying downtown neighbourhoods to the east and west of downtown).
simplyamazing replying to a comment from Rick / February 7, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Asshats? That is my new go-to word. Thanks!
Aaron / February 7, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Generic, shitbox condo #478. Best we can hope for is that glass doesn't fall.

Next...
Rob replying to a comment from tommy / February 8, 2013 at 09:50 am
Excellent post. You hit the nail on the head.
tzv / February 8, 2013 at 10:51 am
I would like someone to explain to me what is the neighbourhood that a self respecting 416 person should live in and what type of housing unit would not be looked down upon. In return I will tell you how much a place like that would cost and estimate the percentage of population that can afford it.
Pasquale Belfrutto / February 26, 2013 at 03:31 pm
Wow thanks for the updates
1% Guys / June 24, 2013 at 03:25 pm
I agree with some of the comments here. It does seem like it's worth looking into but I would like to see other developments going on to see if this stacks up. Nonetheless, great read and looking forward to the development in that area.