Thursday, July 31, 2014Mostly Cloudy 18°C

Condo of the Week: 189 Queen St. East

Posted by Robyn Urback / February 13, 2013

189 queen st eastHey look, a condo for less than $500,000! Line up, workers. One of 11 lofts in the Boiler Factory on Queen East, this condo is steps from the streetcar, steps from Moss Park, and a brief walk away from the Queen subway station. A good thing, too, since parking is not included. Channel your inner Mimi Marquez and check out this condo of the week.

SPECS:

Monthly Maintenance: $330.19
Taxes: $2,617
Building Amenities: Enter phone security system

toronto boiler factory condoNOTABLE FEATURES:

• Private 235 square foot rooftop terrace
  • Office space
  • Viking professional series gas range and hood
  • Bosch dishwasher
  • Three islands
  • Original wood posts
  • Exposed brick
  • Across from Moss Park
  • Window coverings and light fixtures included
  • Laminate floors

189 queen st east toronto condoGOOD FOR:

Moss Park chess players, streetcar advocates, and nude sunbathers. Good for people who actually enjoy cooking at home and/or die-hard Rent fans.

189 queen st east toronto condoMOVE ON IF:

You're afraid of sound issues concerning loft living, uncovered light bulbs, or Moss Park. You think you should get at least two bedrooms for close to half a million dollars, or a parking space, or a locker. Negotiations should include that popcorn machine.

Additional photos:toronto boiler factory condo189 queen st easttoronto boiler factory condotoronto boiler factory condotoronto boiler factory condotoronto boiler factory condoMore info at torontolofts.ca

If you had the dough, would you buy this home? Let us know where you stand in the comments below.

JT / February 13, 2013 at 08:41 am
Moss Park = No thanks
Besides the professional series range and quality dishwasher, all the materials and finishing in this loft is sub-par.
Just as a heads up for others, i have a few friends who live in lofts with exposed brick (and converted buildings). Their hydro costs are ridiculous and it's always cold in the winter and hotter in the summer. For one of my friend's roughly 750sq ft loft, his hydro cost is roughly $100 a month and he doesn't cook often.
Rob replying to a comment from JT / February 13, 2013 at 08:59 am
But it just looks so cool! Another downside, apparently "hard" lofts (the lingo for those in the biz) are notorious for sound transmission.
gfeorge / February 13, 2013 at 09:14 am
I love te exterior of the building. But that's about it.
Poss Mark replying to a comment from JT / February 13, 2013 at 09:52 am
To comment on the subpar finishings is one thing, but Moss Park is a vibrant growing downtown neighbourhood, dink.
mezimeen / February 13, 2013 at 10:04 am
I worked around the corner from here and this area is totak sketch after working hours. If I was in the office late, there would always be something sketch going down, not to mention the only people you see east of Church are pretty unsavory.
Nice place though.
realtalk / February 13, 2013 at 10:06 am
This one is really cool but I hate the location BLAH.
Emil Green replying to a comment from realtalk / February 13, 2013 at 10:14 am
Yeah, it's so far from Ossington.
NotQuite replying to a comment from JT / February 13, 2013 at 10:32 am
The hydro costs are not bad at all.
I live in a loft, facing west. So i know all about the temperature fluctuations.

However, heres the thing.
In the summer, yes you do need to use your A/C frequently. But come winter, you never have to use your heat. My place stays between 70-74 all winter just from the sun.

So my hydro costs from about Nov-May are very, very low. January was only $43.77, and that's with cooking. So with higher costs in the summer (ranging from 75-100) the price of my hydro for the year evens out.
Rob replying to a comment from Poss Mark / February 13, 2013 at 10:32 am
Keep drinking the Kool Aid, brah. Moss Park IS vibrant alright. Just not necessarily good vibrations (she's giving me excitations...)
Marie / February 13, 2013 at 10:36 am
I usually love exposed brick work, but dear god, that's hideous.
Rob / February 13, 2013 at 10:59 am
Moss Park is an OK area.

You folks just need to learn how to deal with "undesirables". Lots of transplants with fancy resumes and nil in terms of street smarts.
t / February 13, 2013 at 11:20 am
Moss Park is like ground zero for the zombie apocolypse.

It's one of the few areas, as a native Torontonian, that I'm afraid to walk around in.
Tanya / February 13, 2013 at 11:55 am
I like it. The kitchen is cool, the bedroom exists, and a private rooftop is sweet. I work in the area, and Moss Park Discount is pretty scary, but Schnitzel Queen makes up for it.
P / February 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm
You have good reason to be afraid, i spend a lot of time at the rink at Moss Park. I once saw someone walking by minding his own business pretty much get harrassed and assaulted (bear hug and thrown to the side). It is the one place in toronto that reminds me of hastings in Vancouver (although to a much smaller degree)
Rob / February 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm
There is no area in the downtown core that's "scary". Just some that you shouldn't walk around in while squawking on an iPhone.

This isn't Chicago where more people get robbed on the subway in one day than in the whole of Toronto. Stop this. Seriously.
lol / February 13, 2013 at 01:03 pm
blog is filled with pussies
Rick / February 13, 2013 at 04:09 pm
Nice little pad, too bad it's right in the heart of this dirt hole. Homeless shelters, low-income housing, a bum-gangbang & crack slangin' zone right across the street from your house... Why would anyone want to live here??? Even during daylight hours the park is filled with homeless riff-raff up to no good, I wish they could somehow corral them up and ship them back to areas such as; Hamilton, Oshawa, Barrie and Ajax.
Rafa replying to a comment from Rick / February 13, 2013 at 04:33 pm
I'm debating whether this was sincere or your attempt at trolling. Either way, I chuckled...and agree.
Craig replying to a comment from Rob / February 13, 2013 at 04:34 pm
$100/mo. for hydro isn't that unreasonable. Remember you're heating/cooling the VOLUME of space, not the square footage. A loft's 12 or 13 foot ceilings create nearly 50% more volume than a typical condo which has 8.5 foot ceilings.
Craig / February 13, 2013 at 04:36 pm
Oh and laminate (i.e. PLASTIC) flooring, in a loft? Blech. Rip that crap out!
Alex replying to a comment from P / February 13, 2013 at 05:27 pm
I probably spend about 5 hours a week in that park, more in the summer. I rarely see anyone except dogs and their owners.
realtalk replying to a comment from Emil Green / February 13, 2013 at 06:31 pm
I don't know if you are being sarcastic by insinuating I am some hipster douche bag but sorry for not wanting to live around crackheads.

Where do you live?
stopitman / February 13, 2013 at 07:54 pm
I think they have too much stainless steel... it looks like it'd be somewhere a serial killer would dismember their victims.

Other than that, it's not too bad.
tk / February 13, 2013 at 08:22 pm
half a mil. for this place>? Seriously?
Profane / February 15, 2013 at 07:55 am
That's a really nice loft with your own private outdoor area too! It looks closer to Church St. than Sherbourne which is the corner of the park everyone is worried about.
Alan / February 15, 2013 at 11:32 pm
Based on the location and finishes I'd say 400g's tops. I still would never live there even if it was 200g's, that block is just gross.
apartment Movers Orlando / April 11, 2013 at 12:00 am
Thanks for another informative blog. The place
else may I get that type of information written in such an
ideal method? I have a venture that I'm just now running on, and I've
been on the glance out for such info.