Thursday, October 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C

Metropolitan Hotel sold, Lai Wah Heen fate uncertain

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 28, 2013

metropolitan hotel lai wah heenDoes this mean the end of some of the most delicious dim sum in downtown Toronto? Maybe. (How's that for a satisfying answer?)

Metropolitan Hotels has completed the sale of its Metropolitan Toronto Hotel to Bayview Hospitality Group, an exchange that will include Lai Wah Heen and Hemispheres Restaurant and Bistro. According to management at Lai Wah Heen, the restaurant has received a directive to shut down operations by February 15, though whether the restaurant will reopen under the new management still remains unclear.

As for the hotel itself, all guest suites and many common areas will undergo a bit of a facelift, though hopefully the Waygu beef dumplings will remain unaffected.

Lai wah wah wah / January 28, 2013 at 05:13 pm
The new management is saying it should stay open:

Michael Maschio, producer ABC / January 29, 2013 at 01:34 am
Since arriving in Toronto in the mid-90's I have dined at Lai Wah Heen minimally once a week, and often many more times. I have hosted countless crew wrap lunches, cast introductory lunches and just simple getaways for my staff. The possibility that this amazing dim-sum restaurant may close is not only heartbreak, but a narrow minded and clearly uneducated idea. The caliber of clientele this eatery draws raises the bar of this hotel and without it they will see a clear decline in guests and the caliber of said guests.

What a terrible shame to stupidly attempt to fix what isn't broken.

Michael J. Maschio
producer
ABC / Disney TV
Lovin' it / January 29, 2013 at 03:48 am
Lai Wah Heen is the best Chinese restaurant I have been to outside of China.
Moi / January 29, 2013 at 11:18 am
Who cares what you do and who you are? RE: M.J. Maschio
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PS..they are still posting for restaurant staff as of today
JoeBlo / January 29, 2013 at 02:20 pm
@Moi

I'm not making judgments on whether status is important, but...

the opinions of high-spending, frequent-corporate customers like MJ Maschio (who I assume recognizes the goodness of Haute-Cantonese fare as exemplified by LaiWahHeen) are what keeps these awesome joints in business.

If Moi and JoeBlo went on TV to lobby they keep LWH open, who are we? If MJ Maschio or George Clooney did the same, I think people would listen a whole lot more. (Unles, Moi, you're actually a big-shot in hiding)

Money still talks in this world. You can eat solid $1.50 dim sum at Kim Moon or slightly higher-class at Rol San, but being Cantonese and well-eaten, I assure you, it ain't no LaiWahHeen.
Rob / January 29, 2013 at 02:49 pm
Since this is Toronto, I can't wait for a Boston Pizza to open in its place.
wholefoods / February 2, 2013 at 01:10 am
What a colossal loss!!

I am a busy professional (8 years on Bay Street) and I do take outs from Lai Wah Heen at least twice every week unless I am traveling on business.

I concur with the other comments - Lai Wah Heen is by far among the very very best Chinese restaurants in the whole world. Sadly only those who travel frequently and far will know the difference from $1.50 dim sum you can have anywhere in TO...

If they do go - any plans for the chef / staff to open a new place??