Thursday, July 24, 2014Partly Cloudy 22°C

What should the TTC do to improve its Rocket trains?

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 5, 2012

toronto subway rocketToronto's new Rocket subway trains have a design flaw: if the doors fail to close three times in a row, an automatic shutoff kicks in and the cars need to be taken out of service be reset. This, as you might expect, is a bit of an inconvenience during rush-hour on the jam-packed subway. As a result, the trains are currently running on time 92.7 per cent of the time, well below the TTC's 96 per cent target.

The doors are wired together so the train can't leave until each one is sealed. This safety feature is noticeable in the two-second delay at the platform after the train stops. If the safety is repeatedly activated, it seems the train assumes a fault and automatically shuts down.

toronto subway rocketTTC CEO Andy Byford called the issue "unacceptable" and will meet with Bombardier reps Friday to find a fix for the 27 trains presently in service on the Yonge-University-Spadina line and discuss changes to the remaining 70 "trainsets" under construction in Thunder Bay.

The two groups will also discuss adding extra handles to the interior of the train and building covers for the driver intercom, which, apparently, is too easily knocked by wayward arms. What other changes should the TTC discuss with Bombardier? Are there any minor issues you would like to see rectified?

Personally, and this is just me, I would like the train's robotic voice improved to sound a little more human. Right now it says "please stand clear of doors" and "the next station is interchange station." A "the" and "an" wouldn't go amiss in those sentences. It's not as important as fixing in the doors but, you know, while they're at it... Oh, and could they dim the lights just a little? Some people are trying to get some sleep.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Photo: "Toronto Transit Commission 5416" by apta_2050, "Long Train" by Stephen Gardiner in the blogTO Flickr pool.

Elvis / December 5, 2012 at 11:09 am
There's the part of the train at the very front and very back where there are zero handles/poles to hold on to because of the wheelchair spot and a giant ventilation system above. I hope they fix that.
Hamish Grant / December 5, 2012 at 11:09 am
Bombardier's already said that this is a simple sensor programming issue, easy to fix.
Scott / December 5, 2012 at 11:13 am
I completely agree with changing the voice. Who wrote the script for that thing? The designers should spend a weekend riding around the NYC subway to get a sense of what the announcements should sound like--natural and human.
Stanley / December 5, 2012 at 11:16 am
First world problems...stop complaining.
Poopdawg / December 5, 2012 at 11:18 am
Bar car.
km / December 5, 2012 at 11:25 am
The problems with the doors go beyond the sensors. The timing for the chime is wrong. The doors start closing before the chime is over, and then by the time the voice says "Please stand clear of doors", the doors are already closed, so it's completely pointless.
Alex / December 5, 2012 at 11:26 am
Massage seats.
Nixon / December 5, 2012 at 11:32 am
The lights are way too bright. I feel like I need sunglasses.
Simon Tarses / December 5, 2012 at 11:35 am
They'll fix it, but will Torontonians and readers of Blog To ever stop bitching about the TTC? My best bet, based on what I've seen, is no.
Joe / December 5, 2012 at 11:35 am
Totally agree with the voice!
"Please stand clear of doors"? WTF? who programmed that shit?
Talk about poor grammar. But, I am not surprised at all. Just another example how the TTC is totally incompetent.
Todd / December 5, 2012 at 11:38 am
Needs more handles in the center of the car near the ventilation system. It boasts about increased standing capacity, but it's not nearly as comfortable as with the old cars. When packed and unfortunately stuck in that part of the car, I have to palm the ceiling.
cultureshot / December 5, 2012 at 11:46 am
- the lights are CRAZY bright
- the doors take too long to open, chime is off
- the pull-down handles squeak/creak when pulled down
- no convenient handles when standing under ventilation system
- new TTC map design is ugly and unintuitive

That's about it!
Devon / December 5, 2012 at 11:51 am
The fact that the intercom says "Please stand clear of doors" when the doors are already shut.
lizzle / December 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm
The bright lights are f*@#!ckin' fantastic!

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE WHERE EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE THE GAP!

ok, maybe it isn't perfect, but it isn't like those old @$$ cars that used to be on the Bloor line that were like stepping in to faded snapshots. So dark! So dark that you couldn't see the creepy dude skulking the shadows who was thinking about robbing/murdering/raping you, or whatever.

What I am trying to say, is better too bright than too dark, we just need to let these go for a while and eventually the TTC will forget to change a few light bulbs and the whole thing will be nice and dim for you guys.

Also, as a seasoned subway rider I appreciate 2 things about the short inhuman messages of the new subway trains:

1) THEY ARE SHORT: no unnecessary piffle about "The next station is Bloor station, please and thank you good sir!, please watch your step....etc etc" JUST THE INFORMATION WE NEED. If I had my way that robotic lady would just say "BLOOR"; we need less commentary, not more!

2)THEY ARE INHUMAN: The one thing that I need on the subway in the morning is LESS HUMAN CONTACT. squashed into oblivion by the sea of unwashed humanity slogging their way to work, I would much prefer to have a cold impersonal voice tell me things. I don't need more human contact, I've just been accidentally groped my six of seven people, I need a break!

LASTLY:
squeaky pull down handles? some of these issues really will just take care of them selves.
Cliff S / December 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm
How about fixing the automated station maps? Only in the TTC/bombardier world is red considered ahead and green is behind.

Was it too hard to use the conventional green=go(forward), red=stop that we have all used for eons?
Liberty Villain replying to a comment from lizzle / December 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm
Amen.
Johnny Tronno / December 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm
Brass poles. You know what I mean.
SousedBergin replying to a comment from Poopdawg / December 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Seconded. TTC solves budget gap, no fare increases on the backs of boozy train riders. Love it, I'm drinking anyways on the train might as well.
skeeter / December 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm
I don't like the cameras on the train. How am I supposed to masturbate knowing some dude at headquarters is watching me?!? Turn off!
JLL / December 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm
I LOVE the fact that the voice is robotic, inhuman- and perfectly clear. I don't need it to sound like a "real boy," Geppetto- I want it to tell me the next stop. You need the personal touch? Get a cab.

As one of the many people who ride the subway and like to read, I LOVE the bright lights.

The door thing should be fixed, but I still like these WAY better than the old ones, which felt cramped, and dingy and had those stupid plastic straps which helped support exactly nobody, as you used said plastic strap to swing directly into the shoulder of the person next to you.

They do need some holders around the ventilation system as the only thing keeping you from a faceplant is that you are standing next to someone and playing human dominoes is not that awesome on the way to work.
Chris on Bay St / December 5, 2012 at 01:19 pm
Eliminate the wheelchair/handicap areas. Doesn't the TTC already have Wheel Trans door to door service for those customers??
Unwashed Commuting Molester With Loud Music Playing Through Headphones replying to a comment from lizzle / December 5, 2012 at 01:20 pm
One of those gropes wasn't accidental, sweetheart ;)
Steve / December 5, 2012 at 02:15 pm
LOVE the bright lights. Reading is much easier.
the lemur replying to a comment from Joe / December 5, 2012 at 02:47 pm
It's not poor grammar. If you leave out the definite article, the implication is that you should stand clear of all the doors. I think the announcements are being redone with real voices anyway, so we won't have to hear the voice of a computer that thinks Summerhill is two words.

Everything else is fine, including the lights. The pulldown handles just need some Jig-A-Loo.
Ford4ever / December 5, 2012 at 03:25 pm
The blinky electronic subway map was perhaps the biggest let-down. It really only makes sense to those who already know exactly where they are.

I'm also not a fan of the two-second delay for door opening. I like subway doors that begin opening the very second the train stops. The delay always makes me think the train is a beta version and that the real trains are coming soon.

Todd / December 5, 2012 at 03:39 pm
I really, really, really hate "interchange station". No Toronto native I know refers to St. George, Kennedy, Sheppard, and Bloor as "interchange stations". Just do as they do in NYC, announce the upcoming station and if there's transfer options, announce them. No need to confuse the uninitiated.
Rob K replying to a comment from Todd / December 5, 2012 at 03:47 pm
Yeah, I never understood that either. Makes perfect sense.
McFonty / December 5, 2012 at 03:48 pm
Please change the god-awful font displayed on the front of the Rocket to a more suitable sans-serif one that also visually aligns with the famous TTC font that is employed throughout the subway platforms.

The pretentious aesthete in me can't bear the sight of it!
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from lizzle / December 5, 2012 at 03:50 pm
THIS.

Most of the people here complaining about the new trains need to either live in some other city, or stop taking public transit in Toronto altogether. It's as if EVERYTHING is somehow magnified to 11 for these people simply because of the way the train is.
McFonty's Concience replying to a comment from McFonty / December 5, 2012 at 03:55 pm
Why don't you leave Toronto to teach poor children in the Third World? That would put your bitching about TTC font in perspective, you whinny bratty moron.
McFonty's Conscience / December 5, 2012 at 04:07 pm
I don't know what it is, but my concience is an idiot.
First World Problems replying to a comment from Stanley / December 5, 2012 at 04:12 pm
STANLEY, STOP STEALKING MY SHTICK.
Annex Guy / December 5, 2012 at 04:12 pm
They need to add something to hold onto on that giant ventilation unit. Right now your either push on the ceiling, stick your fingers in the grille, or just try your best to surf!
Bub / December 5, 2012 at 04:21 pm
A clock would be great. You can show the time on both the LEDs and the LCD screens.
Also, the announcements get really loud sometimes, like they're double tracked.
The trains smell like tuna for some reason.
"This is Sheppard Station, Transfer to the Sheppard Subway line"
You know what, while we're at it, "If you see something, say something"
Ford4ever replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 5, 2012 at 04:53 pm
The post asks "what should the TTC do to improve its Rocket trains?"

So why are you surprised that people are coming up with gripes?

There's nothing wrong with pointing out how something can be improved. Hell, it's necessary. The TTC's (and Bombardier's) offering will be stronger if suggestions like these are listened to.

I see that as a good thing.

Me / December 5, 2012 at 05:24 pm
Reading the comments of all the self-entitled whiners that live in T.O., I'm just glad I don't take the TTC with you lot.
iSkyscraper replying to a comment from Scott / December 5, 2012 at 06:40 pm
Take it from someone who spends two hours a day on the NYC subway, you don't want the announcements used here. The remaining human announcements (about half the trains) are missing, or garbled, or blaring, or use lingo from the 1940s (no one knows what the "IRT" is in 2012). They add character, but are often not helpful.

The automated announcements are better - they recorded voices from Bloomberg Radio who cleary say "The next stop is 34th Street Penn Station. Change here for the 1,2,3,C and E trains. Change here for the Long Island Rail Road" and so on. But they are also kind of blah. Honestly I liked the announcements on the previous Toronto subway trains -- "The next stop is Bloor. Bloor Station." Simple, human, but to the point.

As for door chimes, it's a function of relative civility. In Toronto, you had the whistles, and then the chimes; both started about five seconds before the doors would close. Very polite. They tried that in New York, but since people here ride the subways like crazed animals it had the effect of saying "The doors will close in five seconds. Why don't you run like hell and jam your foot in the door and hold the entire train for your slow-moving friends." So instead they only sound the chime here AS THE DOOR IS ALREADY CLOSING. Instead of "doors are closing momentarily, please stand back" they are effectively saying "get the fuck out of the way because the doors are trying to close, asshole". It's a bit harsh but I understand where they are coming from. Maybe civility in Toronto has declined to the point where they needed to place the chime closer to the closing action.

Door closing itself is a science you could probably take a graduate course in. Part mechanics, part psychology, part crowd behaviour. You want to scare the shit out of people to think that the door is going to chop their fucking arm off and hurt like hell, but you can't actually do that. (I dream of auto-electrocution doors. Pity.) There has to be an air of solidity to the act but also the feather touch of a liability lawyer. On older trains in New York, the doors are flimsy and weak and people feel like they are free to jam them at will. I've been on trains many times where it took 7, 8 tries to get the doors closed. (A limit of 3 is stupid.) The newer NYC train doors have a sort of snickering sound to them that seems to mean business, and people seem much more reluctant to stick a body part in there. I haven't been on the new Toronto trains enough to understand where they lie on the paper mache-guillotine spectrum but they should be as serious-looking and fast-moving as possible.

On the whole though, be happy you have those interconnected trains up in Toronto. We wish we had those here but instead have to suffer trapped in a single car (for up to 8 minutes between stations) prey to bodily liquids on the floor, foul odors, breakdancing acts, peddlers, begging, whatever. Toronto's streets are dirtier than New York's these days but the subways remain much cleaner.
Jose replying to a comment from Stanley / December 5, 2012 at 07:10 pm
Agreed.
Babby / December 5, 2012 at 08:03 pm
There should be drink carts, like on airplanes.
Armita / December 5, 2012 at 08:18 pm
Really?...maybe, because its the 21st century and to we are still evolving as human beings! Lets not be an idiot here and answer the obvious! Lets not expand more routs because standing out in-25 is on my everyday to-do list! not to forget that its the only tool that takes one from point A-B the fastest, cheapest and most efficiently! Question me again and I will Elaborate more in detail!

#emo-winters?
evan / December 5, 2012 at 08:36 pm
Beep Be(doors start closing)ep Beep (doors are closed) "please stand clear of doors" (when doors SHOULD start closing)

Seen a lot of people caught thinking the doors would close at the logical time, not 4 seconds early.
Lucas / December 5, 2012 at 08:48 pm
They should make a park inside each and every train, like an oasis. Maybe a zoo creature in each subway station. brass poles and i like the idea of of making doors bigger. I mean its funny watching my large friends trying to fit through the doors.
Me replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / December 5, 2012 at 08:52 pm
There is NO civility on the TTC. It's where one sees Torontonians at their absolute worse. From the attitude one sees there, I see a very close alignment with the attitude one sees from BlogTO readers.
W. K. Lis replying to a comment from Nixon / December 5, 2012 at 09:11 pm
Those folks who complain that the lights are too bright forget that the trains are new, the lamps are new, the bulbs are new. No dust on them. Give it time, the dust from the subway tunnels, polluted air, and dirt from people will very slowly accumulate to dim the lights.

Hmmm. That reminds me. Should clean the ceiling lights in the rec room.
Steve / December 5, 2012 at 09:21 pm
I heard somewhere that the subways will soon have cell phone reception, so I guess an improvement to the rocket train would be to install cell phone signal blockers, as if we don't already hear enough of people's insipid cell phone conversations on the buses and streetcars.
Pants / December 5, 2012 at 09:22 pm
More poles down the centre! There is nothing to hold onto on those trains. I cringe whenever I see one coming into the station. I'm 5'2" and can't reach the ceiling handles. And the lady telling me the doors are closing, after they've closed, at every stop...I hate that lady. And the seats kill my back for some reason, but it appears I'm the only one - so that's good. Just give me a pole, I don't mind standing.
J replying to a comment from McFonty / December 5, 2012 at 09:22 pm
Right? I couldn't agree more!
Jo / December 5, 2012 at 09:22 pm
I'm surprised no one has complained about the volume of the "beeps" and announcements in the trains. Sometimes they are so loud that they hurt my ears. The volume also seems to be inconsistent between stops.
Addie replying to a comment from Chris on Bay St / December 5, 2012 at 09:23 pm
Oh yeah, that's completely fair. Don't you already have buses and streetcars? Exactly - you don't even need a subway! Shut 'er down. All of this is useless! Chris on Bay St said so!
Brenna / December 5, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Honestly I love the TTC and the new trains the way they are. To me there is nothing wrong with it and people need to learn to live with things the way they are. That is life, not everything goes your way. To keep up the good work TTC!!
Tommy replying to a comment from Jo / December 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm
YES!!! The volume is WAY to high, and directed INTO the subway! It's not the people INSIDE the subway that need to hear the chime, it's the people OUTSIDE the subway. It seems like Bombardier forgot to put speakers/chimes on the outside of the cars, and to compensate, crank the interior speaker's volume.
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One / December 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm
I would appreciate a borg regeneration alcove on one of the cars.
Markus / December 6, 2012 at 06:16 am
First things they should do to improve it is privatize the system and get rid of the dam unions!
Dingleberry Jones replying to a comment from lizzle / December 6, 2012 at 09:34 am
That was like a breath of fresh air in the toxic wasteland of internet commentary. Thanks for making my morning slightly less miserable.
Chris on Bay St replying to a comment from Addie / December 6, 2012 at 10:40 am
I read somewhere that wheelchair users are less than 0.5% of the population. They already have a heavily-subsidized private chauffeur service. Enough.
mc / December 6, 2012 at 10:42 am
Less beige :/ Turn down the lights a couple clicks and the volume down like 3db.
the lemur replying to a comment from Chris on Bay St / December 6, 2012 at 11:43 am
That's not what Wheel-Trans is for. With the introduction of the new streetcars, all TTC vehicles will be accessible to wheelchair users and others in terms of getting on and off. The additional space on the new subway cars is not just for wheelchair users but to enable higher passenger loads overall.
Aaron replying to a comment from Chris on Bay St / December 6, 2012 at 12:11 pm
@Chris on Bay St

They're less "private chauffeurs" as they are super-late-if-at-all services that people with disabilities must set up the day before their travel.

While it is (heavily?) subsidized, it doesn't work for the entire group who need it. It's nice to know that the subway is more often on time, and I'm glad that people in wheelchairs can access our subway.

In fact, I challenge you to try WheelTrans (if you can get a pass) for one week.
mezimeen / December 6, 2012 at 02:08 pm
This is a comment in general for all the TTC - CHANGE THE VOICE
Its horrible, in human, and cold. Did they actually seek out this annoying human to voice everything thinking it would make people happy or be more attentive? It's just awful. Replace that voice with something less harsh and less nasally and the TTC could be just a bit better.
Fred Houston / December 6, 2012 at 03:04 pm
They've managed to produce the iconic TTC warning tones, that indicate the doors are closing, from the speakers in the ceilings inside the cars, instead of from the exteriors like the old cars. I don't need a warning the doors are closing when I'm sitting inside the car; but rather when I'm midway down the stairs, hear the tones that the doors are about to close and know I don't need to leap frog any further.
What used to be beautifully gentle, soft tones that resonated on the platform have been turned into horribly loud, intrusive, annoying and at times painful auditory assaults at each station on my trip, especially if I'm standing with my head nearer the ceiling of the car.
I don't think the engineers with the big brains at Bombardier have ever ridden a subway.

The drop down handles are also frightening for anyone over 6' tall who wants to avoid a head injury.
ham / December 6, 2012 at 04:08 pm
French language announcements in addition to the English, it wouldn't kill everyone to take a shot at bilingualism
Right replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 8, 2012 at 05:25 pm
Says the idiot who has to post on every single TTC story on here and Torontoist and bitch about people who have complaints. What a hypocrite.
Rob replying to a comment from ham / December 9, 2012 at 11:56 am
Please, no! Bilingualism would not be a good idea on the TTC. Let's give francophones some credit. I know that if I heard "englishwords Summerhill englishwords", I'd presume that we are approaching Summerhill.
Having the announcements go "The next station is Summerhill, Summerhill Station. La gare prochaine est Summerhill, gare Summerhill." Would be unnecessary and take way too much time.
Ben Smith / December 9, 2012 at 04:01 pm
One thing I would like changed is more comfortable seating. Doesn't have to be like a coach bus, but many regional transit authorities have redesigned the seating on their buses to be much more attractive - very similar to what the new streetcars will have, actually. Meanwhile the subway seats are basically carpeted (not even padded) wood.

Hell, if it would cost too much, just use plastic. Montreal's subway seats are more comfortable, and those are just plastic - no padding or covering whatsoever.

And while not a deal breaker, I do wish the handlebars were more solid like the ones in the T1 trains.
Me / December 9, 2012 at 05:21 pm
BOOFUCKINGHOO! Entitlement continues...
Ghost of Can-Car / December 9, 2012 at 10:53 pm
What should the TTC do to improve its Rocket trains?

A high power oxy-acetylene torch would improve them. Get rid of this un-rapid transit over-priced, over-hyped junk. Too much gadgetry and high-tech state-of-the-art crap that keeps the trains from actually running.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Right / December 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm
You and others are doing a lot of whining about the TTC, blowing up EVERY LITTLE PROBLEM into a big one, so you shouldn't even be talking. The trains were built this way for maximum safety (and comfort) including much-criticized (by one reader) electronic sign/announcements about which side to get off the train with-and people are STILL complaining and bitching like little whiny babies who need a diaper change? What the frack can the TTC do to please you people?

As for me, half of what happens on the TTC, I put up with knowing the difficulties in running a transit system, and also knowing how hard it is to run streetcars down busy streets with the tons of traffic that course down the streets of downtown Toronto. The ONLY problem I'll be having (and a lot of other people will be having as well) is with the future payment schemes, but I'll guess I'll have to adjust to that, too.
Ben Smith replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 10, 2012 at 02:28 pm
You know, the only people who are making a big scene are people like you. I don't believe anyone here has said that the new trains are terrible. This post was asking what could be done to make them better, and people are adding their input.

Many transit systems, many of which used to look up to the TTC, have implemented many of the suggestions mentioned into their subway cars. People here are just pointing out some of their features that they would like to see on new trains.

I think the new trains are fantastic, and have exceeded expectations in their quality and design. That said, they aren't perfect and there are some things which could be adjusted.

If you think they are perfect, then good for you. Simply say so and leave it at that, don't insult or complain that others have different viewpoints than you.

If you can't see the middle ground between accepting something as perfect and something completely awful with no redeeming qualities, then you may need to seek out professional help.
Will / December 10, 2012 at 06:32 pm
Two thing are neccessary to me: adopt perimeter seating on the train and move to one person operation.
koda / December 10, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Replace the air "springs" with steel.
Add speakers to the outside to alert of door closings.
Use more then one line of the three line display matrix.
Seating like the H4 trains.
That voice needs to go. The voice on the old trains was nicer, but for a real treat get Patrick Stewart or something :)
They aren't as rickety as the T1 trains, but it still feels like a Buick only bouncier. The H5 trains are the most reliable, simple and elegant trains (mechanically) I wish they would have referbished them instead of buying more garbage from bombardier.
Michael / December 12, 2012 at 09:18 am
Both the voice and realistic language of the announcements can be improved including returning the word "the" back into English and dropping the grandioise "interchange station" (a word many newcomers and visitors would not even understand) with a "transfer for her for x line.

Would also try to make future cars linear retractable seating to reflect the fact that the capacity will be increasinly inadequate for seated passengers at rush hour thus if we are going to stand we should build the capacity to do so (like Tokyo has this) instead of making people wait a half dozen cars to get on (unlike Tokyo).

Finally (and I appreciate that this is probably a system issue rather than a car issue). TTC needs to do whateer is needed to have cars stop in the same place each time.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Ben Smith / December 12, 2012 at 12:42 pm
I can 'see' it perfectly, unlike most people here who bitch about the TTC ALL of the time and compare it to other systems that likely have the same problems, or are deficient in other ways (Paris's subways shut down at 12 midnight, as do Montreal's, both [probably in the case of Paris] have no air conditioning, New York's subway has the problems mentioned by i Skyscraper, etc.)-no system is completely perfect at all, but the way people here on this blog act, it's as if the TTC is a complete disaster and can't ever function. This pisses ME off, and makes ME angry, especially when half of the people here bitch about any tax increase needed to make the TTC run smoothly, buy new vehicles/equipment, or build new lines, and yet are willing to vote in politicians who are willing to defund it without a single thought. If that makes me sound like I need professional help, well, I guess that I'm guilty as charged. Again, at least I don't vote for people who will make it worse.

I don't deny that the TTC has problems that need to be improved, but what I don't agree is how bad they are. I think that the people who complain forget the old maxim about 'the grass being greener' and that they should go to anyplace poorer than Canada and see how REALLY bad the public transit is there (Nairobi being one of the places I've read about): I don't think that they'll be bitching about the TTC ever again. Heck, they should travel to New York for a week, and check it out, I'll bet it's the same result.
Alex replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 12, 2012 at 01:29 pm
To everyone complaining about us "complaining" about the new cars on a post specifically asking for how to improve the new subway cars, I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I always wondered why they needed to bother with the Grade 10 literacy test, since anyone who passed grade 9 English is obviously literate, and then I see stuff like this...
skube / December 20, 2012 at 05:00 pm
The lights used to be behind the ads making the interior appear dimmer and the ads brighter, with more life. I'm surprised the advertisers haven't complained about the new light positioning. I assume the overall brightness helps with the cameras though.

The map LEDs seem silly to be in green and red. I wonder if colour-blind users have an issue discerning the difference? I would have thought simply having the LED on for stations yet to come and off for those not being serviced would have sufficed.
Lynn / January 13, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Please do something about those squeaky red ceiling handles running down the middle of the car!! Give them some OIL !! I was standing next to guy last month who kept moving the handle, and my ears were in severe pain. Imagine fingernails on a blackboard x 10 !!
SR / June 12, 2013 at 05:20 pm
The announcements on the new trains are way too loud. They are hurtful to ears. No need for those annoying chimes inside the cars. We are already in aren't we? There are too many speakers, nowhere to hide from those idiotic announcements that keep going and going. Why don't they just turn off speakers in one half of each car.
h / June 14, 2013 at 12:10 am
The sound coming out of those intercoms actually hurt NY ears when the train starts and stops. Even the announcements like the next stop kills my ears, they actually hurt. I wouldn't be surprised to see the TTC get sued by someone those noises are above safe levels
frank replying to a comment from Steve / September 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm
why dont you use an ipad or your phone they have lights... books are going out of style soon...
Matt replying to a comment from frank / September 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm
Sad really that most people can no longer read.
Curt / October 18, 2013 at 01:00 pm
They need to make the fan on the roof a bit quieter. It's too hard to hear somebody talking or listening to music when the doors are open while riding or while getting on.