Wednesday, April 23, 2014Mostly Cloudy 3°C

Ikea Monkey goes viral in Toronto

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 10, 2012

ikea monkeySometimes I'll have a good idea of what's on the agenda for the next day, and then a monkey dressed in a tiny shearling coat escapes from a car outside a Toronto IKEA and everything goes bananas.

The facts right know are as follows: Sunday afternoon in a chilly parking lot near Leslie and the 401, bemused shoppers spotted a nattily dressed primate running amongst cars. After a brief chase, security guards cornered the jacketed simian until Animal Services arrived. According to the Star, a rep from the North York division said the animal was in shock but has "calmed down now that we've been feeding it some grapes."

The owner of the rhesus macaque turned himself in around 5 pm and will likely face a fine and the loss of his animal to a sanctuary. Keeping certain exotic animals, particularly ones smart enough to open a cage door from the inside, is forbidden in Toronto.

According to by-law No. 28-1999, it's illegal to keep any "non-human primate" in Toronto. Hybrid wolf dogs, sloths, tigers, hyaenas, kangaroos, badgers, elephants, alligators, emus, and "screamers," whatever they are, are just a selection of the animals the city doesn't want outside of its zoos. Australian sugar gliders - by the way - are totally fine.

Here's the best of #ikeamonkey on Twitter.

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Photo by "dzd_lisa" on Instagram.

Ronnyjoejimbob / December 10, 2012 at 09:15 am
Can somebody say Hangover II ?
Franco / December 10, 2012 at 09:27 am
I think they should return the monkey to its owner and fine him. the monkey appeared well cared for and they shouldn't stress him out anymore than he already has been.
nom / December 10, 2012 at 09:39 am
Oh. Great. Thanks. Now the city is going to be overrun by the young-and-in-the-know toting Australian sugar gliders. I can't wait to hear Metro Morning's coverage of the phenomenon.
theoadorno / December 10, 2012 at 09:48 am
Ikea Monkey awarded as Dlisted's 'hot slut of the day'!

Jer / December 10, 2012 at 09:50 am
Hmm, any other cities near by that allow monkey's? I am sure the owner is going to be very sad about this but I understand the "rules are the rules" argument...
Franco is a fucktard replying to a comment from Franco / December 10, 2012 at 10:09 am
Franco, you are a fucktard. The monkey appeared well cared for? It's great to know that you can assess the health of an exotic primate on sight alone. Fuck you, asshole.
What a Smart Person Does replying to a comment from Franco is a fucktard / December 10, 2012 at 10:21 am
A smart person shoots down an argument.

An irrational idiot with a hidden (not really) bias attacks the poster.
chrisjemery / December 10, 2012 at 10:35 am
Will someone just please pray for mojo?

Franco replying to a comment from Franco is a fucktard / December 10, 2012 at 11:05 am
Thank you for writing such an inflammatory and rude statement to me. You can hide behind the anonymity of the Internet and pretend that you have an idea who I am. I will choose to be more respectful to strangers who have differing opinions than me. I hope you have a nice day.
asfasdg replying to a comment from Franco / December 10, 2012 at 11:06 am
why so much hatred on this blog? francos comment was actually quite thoughtful...
jd / December 10, 2012 at 11:12 am
My personal fav so far...

Franco replying to a comment from asfasdg / December 10, 2012 at 11:16 am
Thanks for understanding. Based on the fact that the monkey was dressed, and in diapers made it evident to me that the owner cared about his comfort, especially in cold temperatures. It appears that when he returned to his car and found that the monkey was no longer there he tried his best to locate the animal and immediately turned himself in to authorities. That says to me that he cared enough and wanted the monkey safe. There didn't appear to be any abuse, or neglect. That's why I believe they should be reunited. There is no need for anyone swear or belittle me because I hold this opinion. My motivation is to ensure that the monkey is safe and stress free.
Franco is a fucktard replying to a comment from Franco / December 10, 2012 at 11:46 am
Rhesus monkeys require special care. They are also social creatures. If the owner cared about the animal, it would be in a place where it could receive the specialized care it needs and be with other monkeys.

This animal was probably stolen from its mother in the wild. Nobody who cares for an animal would do that.
Skye / December 10, 2012 at 11:50 am
Forget the fact that it's a monkey: anyone selfish enough to leave an animal a car, in winter temperatures, for the duration of a shopping trip to Ikea, is unfit to own an animal, exotic or otherwise.
Franco replying to a comment from Franco is a fucktard / December 10, 2012 at 11:54 am
So based on this view you thought it was appropriate to write a mean-spirited comment to me with a rather spiteful username? I encourage you to use your real name and to allow for a real discussion about this topic, instead of choosing immature tactics to support your point. I do not hide behind the anonymity of the Interent because I choose to be held responsible for my actions, so if you prefer you can click on my name and email me. I would be interested to know if you have the courage to reveal yourself and apologize for your behaviour. I happen to agree with what you're saying, and I care very much for animal welfare, though you wouldn't know that because you didn't take the time to understand my position, you just insulted me.
Rmund / December 10, 2012 at 11:55 am
Proving yet again that Toronto is the best city in Canada: we have an Ikea Monkey!

Who wants a banana? I'm buying!

Jaclyn (FS Local) / December 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm
The power of social media never seizes to amaze me. In 24 hours this IKEA monkey has already got over 2000 twitter followers,endless tweets about it,and even hilarious memes. New IKEA mascot in the works?
sleer replying to a comment from asfasdg / December 10, 2012 at 01:00 pm
Uh, not really. Sorry Franco but you don't seem like the sharpest crayon in the box.

Franco replying to a comment from sleer / December 10, 2012 at 01:28 pm
Thank you Sleer. I'm glad you really know me. It must make you feel superior to provide a link to information I was already aware of, and by implying that I'm stupid.
rebecca replying to a comment from Rmund / December 10, 2012 at 01:36 pm
yessssssssss thank you.
rebecca replying to a comment from Rmund / December 10, 2012 at 01:39 pm
IKEA ..." new children's line for all you little MONKIES " .....
Alex / December 10, 2012 at 02:21 pm
How come the owner didn't get charged for cruelty to animals? I thought that's what they normally charge people with when they leave an animal alone in a locked car in extreme temperatures. Guess that's why the owner dressed it up like Bane, so it would get no sympathy. Though after 1 week I bet that monkey will be running the animal shelter/sanctuary it gets sent to. Then the monkey revolution begins...
Big Fuckin Mega Boat replying to a comment from Alex / December 10, 2012 at 03:38 pm
We all knew the end was coming this month, but not even the Mayan's could have predicted our demise would be world domination by rhesus monkey. Strange times we live in indeed.
Franco is a fucktard replying to a comment from Franco / December 10, 2012 at 04:27 pm
Get a life, fucktard. Being called out on being stupid is NOT cyber bullying.

There's nothing about your "position" to understand. You are a fucking idiot who thinks looking at a few photos qualifies you to say "The monkey looks well cared for, return him to his owner."

Asshole
steve / December 10, 2012 at 04:43 pm
Franco replying to a comment from Franco is a fucktard / December 10, 2012 at 05:19 pm
You must be a sad person. I pity you. I really do. You choose hate. I'll choose light. Thanks, hope your quick anger was a good trip.
Franco is a fucktard replying to a comment from Franco / December 11, 2012 at 01:24 pm
You choose light? Really? Fuck, you are a fucking airhead.
Affe / December 11, 2012 at 05:47 pm
This tiny, well dressed monkey is really cute. But why leaving such an animal alone within a car while shopping? Only a complete moron would do this. Maybe the owner looked like this, can anyone confirm? http://www.mask-shop.com/images/monkey_face_mask.jpg

Click Here for more / February 15, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.