Monday, July 28, 2014Mostly Cloudy 20°C

Rob Ford threatens Toronto Star reporter outside home

Posted by Derek Flack / May 3, 2012

Rob Ford Daniel Dale StarYou've probably heard the news already — that the police were once again called to the mayor's house last evening, this time after an altercation of some kind with Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale who was working on a story that brought him in close proximity to the Ford home in Etobicoke. Depending on whose account of the evening's events you believe, altercation might not even be the correct word. What sounds most likely is that Ford completely lost control and threatened a reporter who was merely doing his job.

Dale's account of the events is both precise and chilling, and given that another witness has corroborated the claim that he never set foot on the mayor's property, I'm not sure how anyone with basic intellectual abilities could think that Ford's response was justified. Here's how Dale describes the encounter:

"At some point, perhaps 10 or 15 seconds into the encounter, he cocked his fist near his head and began charging at me at a full run. I began pleading with him, as loud as I could, with my hands up, for him to stop. I yelled, at the top of my lungs, something like, "Mayor Ford, I'm writing about the land! I'm just looking at the land! You're trying to buy the TRCA land!" Instinctually, I also reached into my pocket to grab my dead phone. I then fiddled with my voice recorder, trying fruitlessly to turn it on so that I would have a recording of any physical violence."

Ford's take on the event goes like this: "I ran around and I caught him. He just went nuts; he dropped his cellphone; he dropped his tape recorder. I said, 'What are you doing here?' He started screaming, 'Help! Help! ...Help! Help! Help!' I think he thought he was going to die but I didnĀ¹t touch him... I'm not going to tolerate people taking pictures of my kids and my family in my backyard" (via the Toronto Sun).

Is that some tough guy pride I detect? Tough to tell, but that last sentence is problematic on a number of accounts — not the least of which because Dale wasn't in his backyard. In an interview with CP24 following the incident the mayor alternated between claiming that the reporter was in his backyard and standing on cinder blocks looking over the fence.

When news of the incident started to spread at around 10:00 p.m. (NewsTalk1010 interestingly had some coverage just before 9:30 p.m.), Twitter erupted with reaction despite the relatively late hour. If somebody puts together a word cloud that sums up all the tweets, we're bound to see "shitshow" and "crazy" in some pretty big fonts. I've rounded up some of the reaction below. Pay close attention to tweets from the Sun media folks (Sue-Ann Levy, Ezra Levant, and Joe Warmington), whose grip on reality has finally deserted them altogether.

More to come tomorrow

Original photo by BruceK in the blogTO Flickr pool

Greg / May 3, 2012 at 01:23 am
Fact: the Star reporter was spying.

Fact: Rob Ford just has to suck it up if there was no actual trespassing.
Frank / May 3, 2012 at 01:32 am
This is stalking plain and simple.
ANON replying to a comment from Frank / May 3, 2012 at 01:33 am
You're kidding right? THIS IS WHAT REPORTERS ARE PAID TO DO.
v79 / May 3, 2012 at 01:39 am
Whether he stepped on to Ford's property or not has nothing to do with it. He was sneaking around a wooded area at an odd time of night taking pictures of the back of his home, supposedly working on a story that was already published. Could this and should this not have been done in the day time and before the piece went to print, not at 8 PM at night? The Star has a history of stalking him and other prominent people outside their homes (and even remote cottages far away from the city). They seem to think they're the new TMZ. It's deplorable "journalism". All this incident does is prove Ford should be allowed to acquire the essentially unused land to increase his safety and privacy. The fact that the Star thought this story even deserved to be covered shows how sad and desperate they are.
lol / May 3, 2012 at 01:53 am
so this reporter ran and cried like a little girl.... what a wimp
v80 replying to a comment from v79 / May 3, 2012 at 02:12 am
But it does matter. It may have been a dumb idea for Dale to pay his little evening visit, but Ford somehow hasn't learned that as an elected official his first response can't be to go to DEFCON 1. He would know who Dale is. He would also know there's no need to feel a threat. This is rage, guys. Plain and simple. There's a reason why this type of controversy follows Ford around. He lacks patience, tact, and common sense.
oph replying to a comment from lol / May 3, 2012 at 02:15 am
If a man of Mayor Ford's girth was running after me, I would have probably done the same.
Sam Smith replying to a comment from v80 / May 3, 2012 at 02:56 am
This has nothing to do with rage v80. Anyone that confronted someone in the evening snooping around behind their home would/SHOULD do the same thing. I don't blame Ford and the Star failed cause this is only gonna make him look like the victim which will get him sympathy from the public. The last thing the Star wants I'm sure.
Miroslav Glavic / May 3, 2012 at 03:06 am
Wow, biased article from a left wing contributor (Author of this article).

Were you there Derek? NO.

To Anon: Sue-Ann Levy covered David Miller...she never set foot in his home or near it from a wodded area at evening.

Any reporter with INTEGRITY would give a call to the Mayor.

Most main stream media that cover City Hall have George Christopoulos' cell phone number (Mayor's media person). Some even have Mayor's Cell Phone. Daniel should of called the Mayor and tell him he wants to look around. It is called integrity.
v79 / May 3, 2012 at 04:20 am
I'm sorry I got so worked up. I have a lot of problems with erectile dysfunction and it makes me want to fight people on the internet, even though I've never had a girlfriend anyway. Such is life. I support Rob Ford because I hate the gays.
Spatzle / May 3, 2012 at 06:55 am
Ford should have drilled the wimpy little prick.
David / May 3, 2012 at 07:00 am
It doesn't matter if Dale wasn't technically on Ford's property. He was standing on cinder blocks right behind Ford's fence with the camera pointed towards Ford's house. I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want someone peering over my backyard and taking pictures at night time. For a journalistic institution like the Star it was just inappropriate for someone to be lurking behind Ford's house at night time taking pictures like that. No doubt about that one.
Baseballbat / May 3, 2012 at 07:23 am
Lucky it was not me, i would of came out with a baseball bat and chase that little pr!ck away.
Rob / May 3, 2012 at 07:32 am
God, the Star is such a dirty little leftist rag...just didn't think it was also a tabloid
everyone_loses_here / May 3, 2012 at 07:33 am

Lines like this make me think that BlogTO should stick to restaurant reviews.
no / May 3, 2012 at 07:36 am
10 pm? hanging around the mayor's house? Taking photos over the fence?

Reporter= giant a-hole

Next.
v80 replying to a comment from no / May 3, 2012 at 07:41 am
It was 7:30 p.m. in near full daylight. You could at least read the reporter's account.
Fred / May 3, 2012 at 07:42 am
Ford should have stuffed those cinder blocks up his chocolate love tunnel.
Franco / May 3, 2012 at 07:43 am
The reporter should have known better, but Ford is not coping with stress well, and he continues to be an embarrassment. He has quite a temper, and I'm not comfortable with that.
Dan / May 3, 2012 at 07:45 am
Rob Ford had temper issues but there was a reporter at or near his home. I would be pissed off too. Its not cool when paparazzi do it and it isn't cool when Toronto Star reporters do either.
Derek replying to a comment from Miroslav Glavic / May 3, 2012 at 07:51 am
It's hard to take your comment seriously given the fact that pretty much everyone with a passing interest in this mayoralty knows that Ford and his team have blacklisted the Toronto Star. This is anything but a secret. Calling Christopoulos' would have been about as effective as sticking around when the mayor confronted him.
Sam Smith replying to a comment from v80 / May 3, 2012 at 07:53 am
Shut up v80. You're grasping for any excuse to justify this stupid reporter now. It figures you ignored my previous response to you since you obviously CAN'T refute it. 7:30 does NOT excuse it!!! It's still non business hrs and in the evening. Most people would've been pissed in Ford's shoes for good reason. Step aside cause you're done like toast here. The Star missed up. The public will side with Ford on this and you can go cry about THAT!
Reggae replying to a comment from David / May 3, 2012 at 07:54 am
Bear in mind that according to the Toronto Star, Dale was never closer that 10 metres from Ford's property.
Franco replying to a comment from Dan / May 3, 2012 at 07:57 am
No he has temper issues, still. The reporter was on public property, and his actions did not warrant Ford's reaction. There is such a thing as a civil discussion. Ford could have politely asked Daniel what he was doing, instead of charging him like a bull. But again, that's what a mature person would do. Our mayor consistently behaves like a child.
Franco replying to a comment from Sam Smith / May 3, 2012 at 08:01 am
That was simply funny to read. Sounds like you've taken a few lessons on how to handle conflict from the Ford brothers. v80 simply corrected your error. Behave appropriately, apologize and make your point free of name-calling.
anucie / May 3, 2012 at 08:03 am
Maybe the reporter was just hungry and visited knowing that there would be many half-gnawed chicken bones over that fence.
That Guy / May 3, 2012 at 08:18 am
BlogTO hits a new low.

Derek / May 3, 2012 at 08:22 am
For what it's worth, yesterday's sunset fell at 8:22 p.m. Dale claims that he was approached at around 7:50 p.m. So the lurking around at night talk is misplaced.
Andrew / May 3, 2012 at 08:28 am

Well, judging from these comments, it looks like BlogTO's right.
hot / May 3, 2012 at 08:28 am
Where can I order a Rob Ford snuggie? I want to define my moobs too.
Runt / May 3, 2012 at 08:31 am
"I had him cornered ... he was like a cornered rat and he didn't know which way to go."

- Ladies and gentleman, his excellence Rob Ford on AM640 moments ago.
BM / May 3, 2012 at 08:31 am
Sounds to me like Rob Ford is the giant baby/bully in this scenario. It's so embarrassing that our mayor handles things in the manner he does, on one hand playing the victim and calling police, but also acting like a bully and threatening someone in the media. Handling media - whether it's Marg Delahunty poking fun, or a Toronto Star reporter poking into a possibly conflict of interest story - is part of the job, Mayor FORD! Learn how to deal with it appropriately or do us all a favour and resign before the public gets sick of this display and impeaches you.
acb87 / May 3, 2012 at 08:38 am
this is the 1st time i fully agree withe the mayor. the report was in the wrong. why sneak around in the middle of the night and trespass on the mayors and hes neighbours proprieties. the star attacks on the mayors are like fox news attacks on obama
Brian replying to a comment from Derek / May 3, 2012 at 08:40 am
I think the more important consideration here, aside from last night's conflict, is the newsworthiness of the original story itself.

Sure, the Mayor's act making an arms length request to TRCA to buy a piece of land is newsworthy, but is it necessary to spin the story into questioning whether or not the mayor needs a new fence or whether or not they need the extra land? That's their own personal business! - I'm sure there are more newsworthy urban affairs issues to be covered in the city than whether or not the mayor wants to build a new fence around his house. Cover the transaction, but what the mayor does afterwards with the land that's lawworthy isn't news - that's personal.

I don't understand why, in an era of Google Maps and TOMaps marking property boundaries, Daniel felt it was actually necessary to go see where an unnewsworthy fence doesn't exist currently. Surely he should have known he was going into dangerous territory - of course, perhaps he had other objectives.

The strip of land between sidewalks and the road is public property too - if someone was standing there peering into your home, that's still creepy, is it not?
Gordon / May 3, 2012 at 08:41 am
Hard to imagine Ford acting all confrontational like this with a reporter. Oh wait... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EpSdyB0zY
Xavier / May 3, 2012 at 08:43 am
Shouldn't the title be be "Rob Ford confronts stalker outside his home"?
rogue.exe / May 3, 2012 at 08:46 am
Both sides were unprofessional in this case. But Rob really needs to get his keel fixed.

Anton / May 3, 2012 at 08:49 am
Wow, talk about biased reporting. I'm officially done with BlogTO and am taking note of anyone who advertises here and am done with them too. No integrity left.
Mike / May 3, 2012 at 08:58 am
I'm confused. Rob Ford says he didn't threaten Daniel Dale, but Dale says he was threatened. These are differing accounts, yet blogTO concludes that Dale was, in fact, threatened.

Where's the "allegedly" part in your headline, Derek?

I'm no fan of the mayor, but good God, where is the attempt at some kind of objectivity here? I wasn't there and you weren't there, Derek.

Really / May 3, 2012 at 09:01 am
Throw this fucking idiot out of office and send him packing along with his idiot brother, doug
Over Fordy / May 3, 2012 at 09:06 am
Mayor Ford will eventually change his story such that as part of his weight loss routine, he was merely jogging in the park behind his house and as he coincidentally encountered Mr. Dale, he stumbled on a tree root which is why he yelled and put his fist up to break the potential fall. Poor man. All he wanted was to quietly expand Ford Nation a few feet into a public park.
Derek replying to a comment from Mike / May 3, 2012 at 09:11 am
Are you kidding? Ford has said he didn't actually touch Dale, but he's all but touted that he threatened him.

Here are some choice quotations attributed to Ford (one of which appears above) regarding the situation:

"I had him cornered...he was like a cornered rat and he didn't know which way to go."

"I don't need security to take care of the Toronto Star."

"Nobody, but nobody is going to come here and try to intimidate my family."
Mattie / May 3, 2012 at 09:15 am
Does the Mayor have the 911 on speed dial?

Sammie / May 3, 2012 at 09:17 am
Not sure where you're getting your info from, but I think everyone knows that Ford aimed to be threatening, the debate surrounds whether it was justified. In case anyone's wondering, from a purely legal standpoint, it wasn't.
James / May 3, 2012 at 09:21 am
I'm not sure how anyone with a functioning brain could believe the reporter. Are you begging for a job at the Star, Derek?
Ratpick replying to a comment from Anton / May 3, 2012 at 09:22 am
"I'm officially done with BlogTO and am taking note of anyone who advertises here and am done with them too."

Right now I see an ad for a Ford F150 pickup. No more Ford pickups for you!
Bob / May 3, 2012 at 09:24 am
The reporter is a coward and a snivelling jackass. The Toronto Star stalks the mayor and his family and like good lickspittles Derek Flack and blogto repeat their rediculous claims. This is why you write for a blog and not a newspaper Derek. You are a talentless hack. If the guy was doing nothing wrong why did he cry and piss like a coward? He was stalking the mayor and got caught. Plain and simple.
Will replying to a comment from That Guy / May 3, 2012 at 09:27 am
I like their dedication to objective journalism... lol
Ratpick / May 3, 2012 at 09:31 am
The reporter had every right to be there and check out the slice of public land.

That said, he does sound like a bit of a wuss. And you'd have to be nuts to go anywhere near Ford without a GoPro strapped to your head -- both to record your own actions and His Worship's inevitable uncorking.
belvedere / May 3, 2012 at 09:34 am
hahahahaha. what a pathetic piece of work this so-called toronto star reporter is. he wet himself!! hahahaha. he was no doubt whacking his tack in the woods too. robbie should have clobbered him.
auditorydamage / May 3, 2012 at 09:37 am
Given Ford's prior reactions to parody reporters, his documented public behaviour, and his spectacularly acrimonious relationship with the Star, it's not impossible that he overreacted to a reporter getting additional information for a later report on the same subject - namely, why the mayor wants more land for a security fence (that can't be built on his existing property, apparently? Haven't read the Star story, wouldn't have cared until this incident; have avoided reading the Star since that horrible parenting story that twisted into that "genderless baby!" moral panic - if I wanted to read Sun-worthy material I'd read the Sun). Active journalists generally don't do 9-to-5 work.

A simple "hey, who are you and what are you doing?" would have sufficed. Even Ford's version indicates a short temper that went off and came perilously close to assault.
Stephanie replying to a comment from ddt / May 3, 2012 at 09:38 am
Actually, ddt, it is quite perfectly legal to stand in a park and point a camera (or phone camera, in this case) at someone's publicly visible property or at people in public, including children. It's not so okay to push people around for taking photographs they're permitted by law to take.
Drmktchr replying to a comment from Derek / May 3, 2012 at 09:41 am
Sounds to me like the Reporter was being intimidated By Major Ford, again a situation blew out of proportion by the media to sell more papers. More like the Young and Restless on TV to me. Lets face it public employees are being photograghed from the TTC to the Mayors office, privacy laws broken again.
Franco replying to a comment from Bob / May 3, 2012 at 09:42 am
However you want to insult the journalist, and I'm sceptical that he's as innocent as The Star claims, Ford's reaction was short-tempered, and his behaviour was inappropriate. That's the main point throughout all of this, and his attitude should not be applauded, as it is immature of a grown man, who has been given the job to lead a city, to behave in such a fashion.
Franco / May 3, 2012 at 09:46 am
Also, does anyone know of a Toronto mayor in recent history, who behaved in such an irrational manner? How many times has Ford called the police to his home? How much money has this cost the taxpayers when he has never been seriously threatened during any of these occasions? Ford should be embarrassed by this behaviour, not proud of it.
Hailey / May 3, 2012 at 09:53 am
Is it that time already? I thought Ford's monthly call to the police wasn't due for another week or two.
Make Ur Thighs Like Buttah / May 3, 2012 at 09:54 am
I always thought that after a certain number of 911 calls, you had to start paying for fire and police services to show up at your home. Has Rob Ford crossed that threshold and is he paying up, or does he get an Employee discount?

ddt replying to a comment from Stephanie / May 3, 2012 at 09:57 am
Actually sugar it's not ok...that's why when you have children's wading pools at places like carlaw park , neighborhood volunteers monitoring the kids will ask you what you're doing if you take pictures of your own damned kids...somewhere after the grunge entitled generation took roots there came a sense of entitlement , that one can do whatever they please where ever they please since they're a free citizen and and have a peculiar passive aggressive sense of themselves versus the rest of the world...I don't know where abouts you live...but in alot of areas it's not cool for snivelling little puss's to take pics of your house( and in case you're not catching on to this one...windows in your house..ya know the little peeping tom thingy?)...
the lemur / May 3, 2012 at 09:59 am
Not night time, not private property, not stalking. Dale explained himself, Ford threatened assault. Ford needs to get a grip.
Franco replying to a comment from ddt / May 3, 2012 at 10:01 am
Was that a serious response, or a joke? I can't tell. I see people taking photos of homes all the time, we live in a free society it's allowed. I love to photograph this city as a hobby, but according to your logic I think I'm entitles as a result of my generation. Not a strong argument, but you're free to think it. You're free to think anything, even when you're wrong.
Morga / May 3, 2012 at 10:05 am
I dislike Rob Ford, but the Toronto Star I HATE. If the reporter didn't think he was doing anything wrong, how come he ran away???
I'm sorry but you people making excuses for the reporter need to give your left winged head a shake. Your bias has gone beyond logic. Rob Ford deserves the rath of the left, but only when he leaves his home. The man's home is off limits, especially after dark.
ddt replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 10:08 am
You know that 250lb construction worker neighbor with the cute daughters ?...go and snap a few shots in front of their home as they're out washin' the ole f150 and see what happens....we'll see who thinks who's free to do anything they like...
Franca replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
In recent Memory, I would say former Mayor Mel Lastman drew a couple similarities at most, but that's besides the point. I am by no means a Ford supporter, however, he has the right to a private life. Regardless if the man was on his property or not, day or night, the journalist's actions created an unease for the mayor's and his family at home, not at city hall or in a public environment. Lastly, it's hard to say what one has to "act" like just because it "comes with the job". Until you put yourself in Ford's shoes save the etiquette lesson.
pffft replying to a comment from ddt / May 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
children = Fence?
LoonyToon replying to a comment from Morga / May 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
Hilarious, since when is a public land BEHIND his home private property? Get off the crack, lady.
Jamie replying to a comment from Morga / May 3, 2012 at 10:10 am
First, it wasn't after dark. I'd suggest re-reading the story, because it all happened before sunset.

Secondly, he ran away because Ford was charging at him. I'd suggest re-reading the story, because he even talks about cornering him.
Franco replying to a comment from ddt / May 3, 2012 at 10:11 am
Haha. Now I know you're joking. No matter how you slice it dude, the best way to solve problems is through rational discourse, not bullying childish antics. Ford's behaviour demonstrates how he is not a leader. Maybe a 9-year-old can behave that way, but not a city mayor.
That Guy / May 3, 2012 at 10:12 am
The privacy commissioner of canada would argue otherwise. ie: google street view case. Its not a cut and dry situation in regards privacy and photography.
auditorydamage / May 3, 2012 at 10:12 am
Well, now there's a claim of security camera footage showing Dale's head "bobbing" over the fence.

If Dale actually did breach the property line and looked over the fence, that's going too far, and he and the Star should apologize. Until visual evidence is presented, that remains an "if" - I'm not inclined to take the mayor or his brother at their word given their prior public fabrications and uncorroborated claims.
Franco replying to a comment from Morga / May 3, 2012 at 10:13 am
He ran away because a 300 lbs man full of rage came charging at him. The reporter was on public property researching a story. That is what journalists do. I've never known a mayor who calls the police to his house as many times as Ford has. When his wife calls the police on him, that's when he says the topic is off limits. He clearly has a rage problem.
ddt replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 10:14 am
Wink...
This guy replying to a comment from That Guy / May 3, 2012 at 10:17 am
agreed
Franco replying to a comment from Franca / May 3, 2012 at 10:20 am
It's not an etiquette lesson, it's common sense. His privacy was not in jeopardy. When you become a politician and want the power to lead citizens, you must acknowledge that you'll be under more scrutiny than the average person. That's the way it goes, and the media, although not always acting with the best intentions, has a right to ensure that our leaders behave in a manner that is exemplary. That's my opinion, and I think that Ford's attitude in this manner is indicative of his poor character.
Mr Kanyo / May 3, 2012 at 10:22 am
So Rob still has the phone Mr Dale was using to take the pictures? Seems like we can clear some of this up by examining the pictures on the phone to see if any were of the house or back yard.

I suspect this won't happen for the same reason that Rob never released the 911 tapes after Mary Walsh's "assault" on him...because he's a lying sack of bloated testicles.
BM / May 3, 2012 at 10:22 am
Cue the effing right-wing nutjobs to come out defending Ford and his irrational behaviour and start name-calling a reporter for not sticking around to take a beating from our bully mayor. The reporter clearly identified his purpose for being on city-owned public land. The nutjobs can twist it any way they want, but the reporter was not 'stalking' or harassing Ford. The mayor has no right threatening someone with physical harm. He is an embarrassment to this city.
Antony / May 3, 2012 at 10:33 am
It's kind of sad that so many comments are either:

1) It happened in pitch dark, on Rob Ford's property!
2) Somebody looks over my fence, I'm gonna kill that sonofa
3) The reporter should have known that the Mayor of Canada's largest city has the anger management of a berzerker.
yeah right / May 3, 2012 at 10:34 am
Ford was just now on CP24 giving the camera crew a tour. Apparently the courageous award-winning journalist was taking pictures on the wrong side of the property, nowhere near the land in question.

jeff replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 10:35 am
So if this was Sun news TV peeking over mayor millers fence at 8pm, you would be ok with that, right? LOL Like someone else said, give your leftwing head a shake. Yes the man has anger issues, many people do. Does that mean the media should poke the bear when he is at home with his kids?? You clearly hate Ford so much that you can't see straight. Lets be real, he may not have been his property, but its like your sibling putting a hand in front of your face and saying "im not touching you, I'm not touching you". Time to grow up and agree, what the star reporter did was not ok. Ford may have overreacted, but one person in this story was sitting at home minding his business,the other was sneaking around in the bush behind the mayors house and you give the benefit of the doubt to the guy sneaking around taking pictures????? Your Bias is sickening.
Franco replying to a comment from Antony / May 3, 2012 at 10:36 am
I agree it's very sad, but often to make their cases, small-minded people resort to extremely simple black and white arguments. They're just telling it like it is 'cause they're so real and you can't handle it!
jack / May 3, 2012 at 10:40 am
Cue the left-wing nutjobs who will defend any action directed against the mayor. The fact is the guy was snooping around the mayor's property, looking in the guy's backyard, taking pictures and acting like a stalker. But since the person targeted is the mayor this kind of stalkerish activity is fine. Let's see someone snoop around Adam Vaughan's place or Joe Mhivic's property and stalk them. Watch the story change then.
john replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 10:41 am
Wow, what a hypocrite you are. Have you read any of your black and white statements? Speaking of small minded.....
Joe Scratch / May 3, 2012 at 10:42 am
Does anyone know where Dan Dale lives? I feel like taking some pictures tonight.
Franco replying to a comment from jeff / May 3, 2012 at 10:42 am
I don't hate anyone, and I'm not biased about the situation, I'm looking at it pragmatically. No one, especially our mayor should react with such aggression. How about you be real, and rather than insulting me, raise the conversation and fully grasp the severity of what it means for Toronto to have a mayor who has anger issues. The argument you provide is that "many people do." Does that make it right? Is that justification for treating people with hostility? Ford has demonstrated consistently that he cannot play well with others, and treats those who disagree with him terribly, even going so far as to get them fired. I am grown up and I am not defending what the reporter did. I am merely holding my mayor to the high standards that his office should represent. All adults should behave with civility, including those in positions of power.

Franco replying to a comment from john / May 3, 2012 at 10:45 am
If you mean that respecting people, even those who disagree with you, represents a black and white view of the world, then yes, I suppose you're correct, I'm a hypocrite.
Reality Check replying to a comment from jeff / May 3, 2012 at 10:51 am
"Your Bias is sickening."

Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black! If Mayor Miller reacted the same way (if you can imagine that) to a Toronto Sun reporter - on public property, well before sunset - I doubt any of the right-wing commenters here would be defending Miller. The hypocrisy is truly mind-boggling!
Franco replying to a comment from Reality Check / May 3, 2012 at 10:54 am
I find those type of comments funny, but thank you for replying in defence. When people resort to name-calling and cursing, I adhere to the philosophy that they never had a solid argument to begin with.
yeah right / May 3, 2012 at 10:55 am
So, he was on the wrong side of the property taking pictures at dusk with dying/dead cell phone and recording equipment that was too difficult to turn on with his trembling hands. Award-winning journalist.
blogah replying to a comment from everyone_loses_here / May 3, 2012 at 10:58 am
" "I'm not sure how anyone with basic intellectual abilities could think that Ford's response was justified."

Lines like this make me think that BlogTO should stick to restaurant reviews."

I agree.

I do not approve of most of what Rob Ford does or says or stands for, however, this article is so blatantly biased. The story speaks for itself. Rob Ford's actions, daily, speak for themselves. This is an embarrassing discussion and an embarrassing article.
Franco replying to a comment from jack / May 3, 2012 at 11:00 am
Hi Jack, if indeed the reporter was stalking, then yes, I agree, it is wrong. However, the main point is not the actions of the reporter, which at this point are questionable, but the reaction from the man who holds the highest office in the city. Personally, his behaviour does not demonstrate the actions of a true leader, and he's boasting about his childish reactions as opposed to being embarrassed by them. The man was not on his property, he was not trying to break into his house. A civil conversation would have sufficed, but the mayor once again overreacted and became hysterical. This is not the behaviour any of us should expect from our mayor.
Jeff replying to a comment from Reality Check / May 3, 2012 at 11:04 am
not my hypocrisy, I can't stand the Sun, or most of the right. But I can see the left has gone too far in this case defending something that doesn't deserve to be defended.
Jeff replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 11:06 am
where do you think I intended to insult you?
Jeff replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 11:12 am
"All adults should behave with civility, including those in positions of power." - agreed in most cases ,but when it comes to protecting my home, civility goes out the window. I doubt the reporter had a big hat on that said "Toronto Star Reporter". Do you understand this man has received serious death threats? If I see someone snooping at my house, I want them to fear me. I'm not thinking "Well they are snooping where they shouldn't and could be dangerous , but I should probably go out there and be civil to him."
Franco replying to a comment from Jeff / May 3, 2012 at 11:14 am
Hyperbole like "Time to grow up" and "Your Bias is sickening" is insulting, considering that I've stated over and over again that my position is not to defend the reporter but to highlight Ford's unwarranted, immature behaviour in moments of conflict. My problem is not with you, but I believe in raising the value of discussion not resorting to comments that degrade it. Since when does an opinion become bias?
Elizabeth replying to a comment from Xavier / May 3, 2012 at 11:14 am
Not a stalker! A REPORTER!! (and a small, bespectacled one at that...)

This mayor is a joke. He should be charged every time he calls 911 when in fact there is NO EMERGENCY. He knows who Dale is. I wish we could get rid of this guy. It is so embarrassing to have him as an elected official. Ridiculous.
Elizabeth replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 11:15 am
Well put, Franco.
Franco replying to a comment from Jeff / May 3, 2012 at 11:17 am
Okay Jeff sure you win. You know what, the next time someone questionably steps on your property, scream, shout, yell, behave however you please without remorse. Hell, beat them up if you choose, and all the while show your children that this is how you handle conflict. Yes, you're right, I'm wrong, long live Ford.
gorf / May 3, 2012 at 11:23 am
It had to be done:

gorf / May 3, 2012 at 11:25 am
I live in a place where every single passerby can see directly into my apartment from the north side of Queen Street. If I were to follow our fine mayor's example I would be calling the police 50+ times a day.
auditorydamage / May 3, 2012 at 11:30 am
So, I broke down and found the Star article, then brought up the area on Google Street View and Maps set to satellite view.

The property isn't particularly large, parkland wraps around two sides of the property, and the existing fence doesn't seem very tall - 2 metres, maybe a bit more. The proposed new property line abuts an existing park building. It looks like Dale would have had no more than 10 metres' distance from the back fence at any point he was back there. In fact, Ford's line about "cornering" Dale suddenly makes sense, now that I see the spot where the neighbouring property extends beyond the back of the Fords', creating a spot where Ford could actually trap him if the neighbours also have a fence. Given the lack of space back there, and the potential for cornering, I could easily see Dale panicking if Ford did approach as aggressively as claimed.

At the moment, I have the following thoughts in my head:

1) The story doesn't look like much of anything, Ford's claim to require better security aside; if that were the main concern, increasing the height of the existing fence and doing something about that very penetrable chain-link fence at the front may do more than buying that chunk of land. The east side is still completely exposed parkland, albeit more easily visible from the road. Maybe he just wants a bigger backyard and didn't think that would fly with TRCA; whatever, that's their problem to hammer out.

2) Ford overreacted. Given the relatively small area, he could easily have approached and asked what was going on. I know he and the Star are at war, but this is ridiculous. Show some maturity, FFS.

3) I'm guessing Dale got a tip to the proposed purchase, based the initial story on some phone interviews and a map of the area, and after initial publication decided to take a look at the actual plot of land in question. He could have called and asked Ford or his staff about it, except Ford has very publicly refused to deal with Star staff, so one obvious way this could have been avoided was highly unlikely to take place at all.

4) The story seems mostly dumb, the press have a right to investigate the activities of public officials, and as long as Dale wasn't explicitly sticking himself or cameras across the property line, or otherwise trying to capture images beyond the scope of the story he was investigating, Ford has no defence for his actions. As I posted earlier, if Dale was breaching the line or trying to capture images unrelated to the story about the proposed property expansion, he and the Star need to apologize.

5) Ford and the Star really need to declare an armistice. Short-fused, grudge-holding buffoonery and gotcha journalism are not helping anyone.
James replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 11:32 am
How about we have our reporters stop stalking people at their homes? Being employed as a reporter isn't some free pass to stalk, trespass and basically harrass others.
yeah right / May 3, 2012 at 11:35 am
"When I reached the park’s parking lot, a fair distance away, I approached two young men who were sitting in a car, asking them to use their phone. The mayor, looking in our direction, continued to shout, and I ran to my car and drove away."

He was a "fair distance away" and yet he ran, not walked, he RAN to his car? LOL!
Franco replying to a comment from James / May 3, 2012 at 11:36 am
There was no stalking involved. He's the mayor, a reporter was researching a story and a claim made by the mayor, he was never on Ford's property. What I wish is that people would get their facts straight and have informed opinions. Like I wrote earlier, when you become mayor and want the privilege to have power over citizens, claims you make will be investigated by the media. Ford overreacted, and he is the one who has made this story bigger than it had to be. Again, this was not stalking, anyone who has been a victim of stalking would tell you that. A reporter doing his job.
Robrert / May 3, 2012 at 11:46 am
So, is this normal for newspapers to send reporters to the mayors home to check stuff out?

Did this happen with Mel Lastman or David MIller? I'm guessing probably not.

Maybe I'm the only one, but it feels like the Toronto Star tries to provoke Ford into something and then makes it an incredibly huge deal. People are aware that there goal is only to sell ad space by selling newspapers/page views right?

I'm not sure what I'd do if someone stood behind or beside my house on public ground watching my home, but I know I definitely wouldn't like it, and most likely not tolerate it.
James replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 11:55 am
The fact is the star is stalking the mayor. They send reporters 200 miles away to stalk him in Muskoka, they send reporters to his home at all hours of the day to 'take photographs' (if you believe that's what the guy was there for I have a great deal for you on ocean front property in Saskatchewan) and they generally harrass the mayor in an effort to goad him into doing something that will make him look bad. This is simple stalking and harrassment. If it was happening to any liberal member of council you'd be against it. Since it is the mayor you feel it is fair game.
Franco replying to a comment from Robrert / May 3, 2012 at 11:56 am
This type of thing happens to every public figure yes. It probably happened to Lastman and Miller, only they didn't react the way Ford did, which is the real story here, not a journalist researching a story. By the way, the reporter was on public property.
Franco replying to a comment from James / May 3, 2012 at 11:58 am
Oy, sure, The Star is stalking the mayor unfairly. Yes. I'm assuming this is your theory on every public figure and politician whom the media reports on. That means Obama is stalked, as is Harper. The NYC mayor is stalked. Everyone is stalked if there is a reporter verifying a claim that the politician has made, especially a politician who has a history of lying to his/her citizens. Okay, very sound logic.
Franco replying to a comment from James / May 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm
I also love how you consider it a 'fact' when it's a dubious one at that.
Iyaz A / May 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Honestly, the best PR the mayor could have done is invite him in and talk to him one-on-one.

Instead he kept insisting (to an extent where I stopped believing him), that he didn't hit the reporter. Yet he seemed to admit to taking his phone.
mug replying to a comment from Robrert / May 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm
to be exact the toronto sun pointed a camera into Miller's house windows at earth hour (which is at night)
Joe Scratch replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm
Just like this article states that Rob Ford threatened a reporter as a fact.

Franco replying to a comment from Joe Scratch / May 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Well Joe, I can only continue to maintain that our mayor reacted badly, and it represents poor leadership. Even now as he defends himself on radio and television he demonstrates poor critical thinking skills, as well as empathy. However you look at it, a reporter was assigned to a story and sent to the public park in question to research the mayor's claims. What Ford did, was irresponsible of any adult, but for a mayor, even more so. The fact that he threatened the reporter has been corroborated by both Ford and Daniel. But if you're more concerned with being right, than having a mayor who upholds the qualities we should all ask of our public leaders, then you have it, you're right.
Franco replying to a comment from Joe Scratch / May 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm
Ford quote: "Every single person said I should have just cooked the guy." How manly! He should have cooked the guy for obeying the law. Yes, perfect sense.
Lori replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm
@ Franco,

How many mayors get stalked outside their own private residences as much as Ford has? Argue what you want about his temper but the Star and CBC really don't need to be anywhere near Ford's neighborhood, yet there they are...trying to provoke him to doing something that will garner ratings. Public official or not, you don't need to do this.
Mike replying to a comment from Derek / May 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm
So what did he threaten him with, Derek?

I saw the quotes that you used and I still don't see a specific threat. Did he threaten violence? Did he threaten to sue him? What did he threaten him with?

If this headline and article were any more biased and slanted, it would fall over.
Your hypocrisy is showing replying to a comment from Miroslav Glavic / May 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Wow, biased comment from a right wing commenter.
Greg / May 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm
What a loser this reporter is. Rob Ford himself said it best: "You may not agree with my politics, don't start taking pictures of my family"

There is no reason for this "reporter" to be snooping around near the mayors house, especially at night. I wish Ford had of knocked him out.
Franco replying to a comment from Lori / May 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm
Lori please tell me this is a joke. Dale was assigned by The Star to cover the TRCA land sale. Because of these reasons, it makes sense he would visit this public property to flesh out his story on this subject. He can be in any neighbourhood he wants to be in to get his story. Ford is mayor, and as I've written countless times, if he makes claims, they will be investigated to ensure he is accountable for them. That is what being a mayor is all about. Stalking? Really? This is your definition of stalking? Please remove the hyperbole and focus on critical thinking to form your argument. We have to be dedicated to transparency in our governments. That's what democracy is all about. This is not a dictatorship, where we tell journalists what they can and cannot do. Daniel was within his right and the law to do what he did. The mayor behaved like a child, and instead of taking responsibility for his actions, continues to play the victim. That is the point.

So yes, public officials need to be held to a higher standard if they want to have power over their citizens.
Derek replying to a comment from Mike / May 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm
This bores me. If you don't think Rob Ford's own account of things sounds threatening, that's your prerogative.

As for all these outraged claims of bias, I wasn't going for a neutral account here. Have you ever read this site before? Our editorial convention is to inject our opinion into things. That's what we do. You're free to disagree with what's put forward — or to skip it all together — but it's probably a good idea to check your readerly expectations before getting all hot and bothered.

Lori replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Allegedly obeying the law you mean? This is all hearsay.

Now...even if he was obeying the law...does it still make it right? Laws and ethics are sometimes completely in opposition and just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you ought to.

People in the media lack empathy. You never think for a second how you would react if you were in someone else's shoes. Let's just camp outside your property but as long as we're on public property I guess it's ok to spy on you and your family and take pictures of you in your private time.

Douchbag got exactly what was coming to him...I would have done worse to him.
Lori replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm
You want to cover the sale...do it during the daytime. Spare me BS. No need to be standing on cinder blocks all in secret.
Franco replying to a comment from Lori / May 3, 2012 at 01:01 pm
There is no hearsay Lori, even Ford has stated that the man was never on his property. Is this really the worst thing that could have happened to Ford? Really? It's not okay to "spy" on me or my family, because I am not a public figure elected by Torontonians to make decisions in their best interest. If I want to expand my land onto public property, that warrants an investigation by journalists, and being a public figure, I would understand that. However, speaking about hearsay, in this case, no one was taking pictures of Ford and his family, and no one is defending spying! That again, is hyperbole. Calling the reporter names is more a reflection on your character than his. We should all aspire to a little more grace. Is this how you would teach your children to react to conflict? Screaming. Hollering. Yelling. Intimidating. Threatening physical violence? If it is, well, I question if there isn't a healthier, more rational alternative.
Franco replying to a comment from Lori / May 3, 2012 at 01:02 pm
Are you a reporter? Often stories are assigned at odd hours. Journalists do not work 9 to 5 hours like the rest of us.
Joe Scratch replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 01:04 pm
Franco where do you live? Are there any adjoining public areas that I am free to take pictures from? I have some free time around 7:30 tonight.

JF / May 3, 2012 at 01:13 pm
Jesus Christ, Derek. You clearly shouldn't be the staff person writing about anything Rob Ford. Can we just try to report on whatever the story is without getting your overtly biased 2-cents in? It makes BlogTO seem like it's run by whiney adolescents.

Franco replying to a comment from Joe Scratch / May 3, 2012 at 01:14 pm
Well Joe, you're simply proving my point. Thanks.
Joe Scratch replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 01:20 pm
So you would have no problem with posting your address then?
Lori / May 3, 2012 at 01:21 pm
No you are wrong. Public official or not, he is still a person and has a family and all. What he does in and around his own home is no one else's business. He never asked for douchebags like dale to be looking around like he was. If Dale was really minding his own business and not snooping on Ford, maybe Ford and his neighbors wouldn't have been alarmed to Dale's presence. Clearly what Dale was up to was suspicious.
Franco replying to a comment from Joe Scratch / May 3, 2012 at 01:22 pm
I'm really curious, how does that logically make sense to you? I have most definitely not written anonymously today and my name links to my blog where my identity is completely transparent. Click on it, 411 me and come over.
Hi! replying to a comment from gorf / May 3, 2012 at 01:23 pm
I totally saw you shaggin' your lass yesterday.
Franco replying to a comment from Lori / May 3, 2012 at 01:26 pm
Okay Lori you're right. I maintain though that I wish our mayor had behaved in a more civil, mature manner, but he consistently disappoints.
Johnny Tronno / May 3, 2012 at 01:28 pm
See what happens when you send a reporter to do a photographer's job!?
Lori / May 3, 2012 at 01:29 pm
Try this kind of crap outside the residence of Stephen Harper or Barack Obama and you would be taken down so in an instant and they would be fully justified. Those guys are public officials too...but it's not okay to sneak around them like that. So no...simply being a public figure doesn't give a right to go to their homes when you are not expected or invited.
Joe Scratch replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 01:47 pm
Not that I actually care about looking you up, my point is that you should feel some empathy for Rob Ford, and that you would at least not like it if someone was snooping around your property in the same circumstances. In fact, I suspect most people would probably react much more harshly then Ford did.
jen replying to a comment from auditorydamage / May 3, 2012 at 01:48 pm
This. 1000 times this. Best post I've read all day.
Rob Graham / May 3, 2012 at 02:13 pm
Perhaps the bigger story here is a sitting politician trying to purchase public land. Am I the only person who thinks this screams CONFLICT OF INTEREST!

And as far as I know, whether it's tasteful or not, there is no law against taking pictures of anything while on public land. My neighbours can see into my house and yard... should I have them charged if they look??!!
gorf replying to a comment from Hi! / May 3, 2012 at 02:15 pm
Did you take any pics? If so, please share.
Rob Graham replying to a comment from Lori / May 3, 2012 at 02:17 pm
Actually you CAN take pictures of the white house and 24 Sussex Drive while standing on public property. You can drive past Steven Harper's residence and gawk all you like (been there/done that) and nobody will bother you. It's within Rob Ford's rights to ask what the person on public land is doing. It's also within that person's rights not to tell him.
Rob Graham replying to a comment from Greg / May 3, 2012 at 02:21 pm
It was not dark, it was just afer 7 p.m. (If it was dark, how would the neighbour have seen him). And if Rob Ford had done anything more, he'd be charged with assault. If you can't stand the heat (i.e. being a very public and controversial figure) then stay out of the kitchen. If someone wants to take pictures of Rob Ford's fence/house/yard/whatever they have every right to as long as they're doing it on public property. Hell, Google has taken pictures of practically every house in North America!
gorf replying to a comment from Rob Graham / May 3, 2012 at 02:27 pm
I'd like to see Rob take on a Google Street View van. That would at least be a fair fight.
BitMedler / May 3, 2012 at 02:29 pm
It's shocking to me how quickly common sense, critical thought and context go right out the window the moment Rob Ford is mentioned.

I'd love to hear how the people who feel this is stalking define the word. Wikipedia has:

"…unwanted and obsessive attention by an individual or group to another person. Stalking behaviors are related to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person and/or monitoring them."

From the mayors own account of the incident, intimidation was never a factor - or at least he's to "manly" to admit it. I can possibly see harassment being brought into play, but only if you remove the context of the situation - i.e. the fact that the journalist who is known to the mayor was investigating conflicting claims about the state of the land in question. That said, stalking is still inappropriate by definition as it has to do with "unwanted or obsessive attention". Daniel Dale was not popping up on his lawn - or anywhere outside of city business as far as has been reported - on a regular basis. Unwanted falls out the window when you're an intentionally controversial political figure having been publicly elected and applying to annex public property. You must see how that makes the original story of interest to the city residents.

Even Ford is only arguing - and contradictorily I might add - that he was "in his yard" or "peering into his yard" and attempting to take pictures of his "wife and kids". And with that, we're only left with possibly bad judgement on the reporters side (time of day/proximity) and the mayors (charging with cocked fist). And if those are the facts, the mayor is the only one looking at possible charges unless he can prove Dale was IN his backyard, TAKING pictures of his family (and I wonder to what end that would be anyway?) as he would have had to have done in the past.

It's also a little sad that so many people in this city can't remain open about facts and instead align with a "party", ideology or newspaper.
Lori replying to a comment from Rob Graham / May 3, 2012 at 02:43 pm
But how far can you get at Sussex before someone stops you? Close enough that people are alerted and in fact suspicious that you are up to no good? That's really the point here. I'm sure the Fords do not hassle joggers and random passers-by that come and go past their house. Something really strange must have prompted Ford and neighbors to take notice. That's already too close. If you're that close on Sussex or Pennsylvania Ave. you might already be arrested or have been approached by someone and told to leave.

And I'm sure Ford could have been more civil but the Star reporter didn't also need to be where he was and he also didn't have to report on the incident as if someone inflicted some sort of injustice on him. He got yelled at and chased away...which is what any reasonable homeowner and family man would have done. If Ford brought out a shot gun and let out a few shells, I might be concerned but thats not what happened. And its hard to be civil when Ford has received death threats, had other members of the media confronting him on his driveway and even photographing him getting food...do I blame him for his approach? No. In his position, I'm probably a bit testy too...and so would most of you.
auditorydamage / May 3, 2012 at 02:52 pm
So, on the one hand, the Fords won't release their security videos of the incident, and the version Doug put forth to a NatPost reporter doesn't entirely sound like Dale was hanging over the fence snapping shots of Ford's kids. Although it's not exactly a solid data point, the Sun hasn't posted photos from the BlackBerry, so at minimum the phone wasn't hooked up to a computer or charged between the time Dale dropped it and the time police took possession of it. I'm sure the Sun could have easily found a mini-USB cord if they'd wanted to scoop the Star on their reporter's own photos and thought there was something worth publishing, though timing may have prevented that from happening.

OTOH... the Star appears to have pulled their original graphic of the proposed property purchase, and Ford is saying the piece he wants is beside, not behind, the house. The Star needs to post whatever Dale was sent by TRCA. Ford's security story still doesn't pass the smell test (dude, if you want a bigger yard, just say so), and it's actually weakened by saying the land purchase is beside the house, which is highly visible from the road and other houses, than behind the house, which is between properties and a park building.

What a stupid shitshow.
Lori replying to a comment from Rob Graham / May 3, 2012 at 02:52 pm
And as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with buying public land if the money is from your own pocket and you are doing it through the proper channels. From what I have read on this...Ford is not doing anything illegal. What he chooses to do with the space if he does buy it is no one else's concern.

Adam H. replying to a comment from jeff / May 3, 2012 at 02:59 pm
Remember when the Sun was taking photos of David Miller's windows so they could count his interior lights?

Remember how many stories there were about what a violation it was, and comments about how Miller should have assaulted the photographer, and how the police were called in?

Oh, wait. No, you don't remember any of that, because NONE OF IT HAPPENED.
Mark replying to a comment from Adam H. / May 3, 2012 at 03:02 pm
That photographer was on a city street clearly in public. Not stalking around the mayor's backyard. There is a difference.
Antony replying to a comment from Mark / May 3, 2012 at 03:47 pm
Daniel Dale was in a city park, which though not clear to Mark, is public.
James / May 3, 2012 at 03:49 pm
It's comical how each time Ford pulls some stunt like this he hides behind his family. It's also hilarious how his supporters eat it up. He's an over-reactive jackass with anger management issues and an inflated sense of entitlement. It's also hilarious how each time he has evidence supporting his side of the story but refuses to release it to the public. Fact is he has demonstrated a pattern of behaviour. He's a boorish, obnoxious, angry, petulantly bellicose liar. To see how his supporters bend over backwards to spin things, check out the I Hate the War on rob Ford facebook page. It's a hilarious little circle-jerk of Ford supporters.
Mr Kanyo / May 3, 2012 at 03:51 pm
Ford was wearing his own campaign t-shirt?

Tacky!

That's like a band wearing their own merch.
Mr Kanyo / May 3, 2012 at 04:13 pm
Does anyone else see the uncanny resemblance of the Ford family to the O'Doyles from Billy Madison?

TEAM FORD RULES!!!
Derek / May 3, 2012 at 04:21 pm
A good post by the Grid's Edward Keenan on the incident:

mark replying to a comment from Antony / May 3, 2012 at 04:25 pm
Dale was snooping in the Mayor's backyard. What was with the cinderblocks. What isn't clear is Dale's explanation about trying to take pictures with a dead phone. Shouldn't his incompetance be of concern to his employer?
I / May 3, 2012 at 04:40 pm
I think the obvious thing to note is that the images taken with a Blackberry Camera are almost always shit and that there's no way that whatever he'd be taking would be worth printing in the newspaper anyway.

James / May 3, 2012 at 04:42 pm
So far he's lied about:

Marijuana bust
DUI
It was dark and is daughter was with him when CBC showed up in his driveway
Verbally abusing people at a Leafs game
Dale was in his backyard and it was dark

JGHfx replying to a comment from I / May 3, 2012 at 04:42 pm
Disagree... certainly my old Curve took shitty pictures, but my Torch actually takes fairly nice pictures and has higher resolution than my old digital camera.
yeah right / May 3, 2012 at 04:44 pm

The unions got Ford elected, the hate-fevered lefties in the media will get him re-elected.
You forgot replying to a comment from James / May 3, 2012 at 04:53 pm
the middle finger?
Jeff replying to a comment from Derek / May 3, 2012 at 05:27 pm
Really Derek, THE GRID?? The Grid which is a division of The Toronto Star? Nice try trying to validate your own take on the situation.
Sam Smith replying to a comment from Franco / May 3, 2012 at 05:54 pm
I don't owe v80, an apology Franco. You both are dead wrong on this and from the looks of your posts also pulling any excuse out of your butt to protect this wussy reporter. I'm not surprised you don't mention the cinder blocks he was standing on to look over his fence. I also just listened to the idiot's interview. He speaks like a wuss as well. Every sentence starts or ends with "Umm.." He sounds like he's not sure of himself cause it's obvious he's lying.

Step off Franco.
Adam H. replying to a comment from Sam Smith / May 3, 2012 at 06:13 pm
Uh, Sam? Yeah, here's the thing.

Do you have any proof, any evidence, anything at all, that shows that Dale was standing on anything at all and looking over Ford's fence?
James P / May 3, 2012 at 06:28 pm
Let me see if I have this right:

Marge (Warrior Princess) (AKA Mary Walsh), who has done skits with...oh, say, like several canadian Prime Ministes, Mr Buchard, Joe Clark, Ralph Klein, Don Cherry...

is a threat to Rob Ford HOW?

----
Now, it might be 7 PM that the star's reporter is out wandering, rather than being in the office, to take some photos of a piece of land that apparently it is hard to ID from the map as to which chunk outside of Mr Ford's house he wishes to purchase...and he is now a threat to Mr Ford?

Even if he was standing out back, on a pile of cinder blocks, with a 2400mm tele lens, that would be considered "acceptable" by some newspapers, like say, anything owned by Rupert Murdock. The law is clear on that- there is no expectation of privacy from a photo taken on public ground to within someone elses private ground. If Mr Ford wants privacy, then he should quit and find another vocation. He has taken on a role as a public figure, and that comes with some costs with it, namely that he cannot expect the same degree of annanimity as a non-public figure would have. He is a fool, and a great laughing stock for the rest of Canada to point at.

Certainly, in the same vein as going to KFC when he has professed to wanting to loose weight-how is that any different than the reporting of various public figures who have professed a great desire to loose weight and then are seen wolfing back a 12`cheesecake ? If you make your life into a spectical, then how else do you think people are going to treat you?

James
Easy E / May 3, 2012 at 06:32 pm
You show up at my crib and I got a sawed off.
Jim replying to a comment from Derek / May 3, 2012 at 06:34 pm
You took basic in high school right? Filler up
Jay / May 3, 2012 at 07:54 pm
The usual biased blog by BlogTO. Notice I will not say reporting

The reporter broke the law when he used the cinder blocks to gain a better view into the Mayor's property. Ask any private investigator and they will tell you the same thing. Now we have the reporter lying about the cinder blocks. How do we know this? Because the neighbour who works in his garden every day confirmed those blocks were not there before the reporter showed up.

This action by the Star is nothing shirt of disgusting.

Typical left. Cry your rights have been violated at the slightest police action yet give this guy a pass when it suits your agenda or political view. Two faced hypocrites.
Ice Cube replying to a comment from Easy E / May 3, 2012 at 08:07 pm
Squeeze the trigger and bodies are hauled off?
james / May 3, 2012 at 08:23 pm
Jay, typical right. Repeat bullshit often enough and it becomes fact. So his elderly neighbour doesnt recall seeing cinder blocks before? Does that mean he was in the same place as the reporter? He's lucky to be alive. Ford may have thought he was an intruder. Honestly, you people are sickening. Contorting yourselves to support this jackass. Was the reporter assigned to a story involving the property? As part of that assignment would it be plausible he was actually on the property? Or is it more likely he decided to go to Ford's house, peer into his house and take pictures of him and his family? For what end? What story would could that possibly be? You people are idiots. Your little right-wing victim mythology is pathetic.
james / May 3, 2012 at 08:32 pm
Yeah Jay, you're right. It's more likely that the reporter was standing on cinder blocks peering into the ford family home and taking pictures of the mayor apparently helping his child do homework. Because that would be a great story. There is no way in hell he was actually on the public property that pertains to the story he is working on and has written about in the past. It makes perfect sense. The right's little victim mythology is pathetic.
Sam Smith replying to a comment from Adam H. / May 3, 2012 at 09:14 pm
Adam H. do you have any proof that he wasn't?. Oh that's right. You wanna simply take the wussy reporter's side of the story like a good sheeple right?

Thought so. I'd bet you work for the Star or The Grid.
Adam H. replying to a comment from Sam Smith / May 3, 2012 at 09:16 pm
You don't have any evidence, then.

That's all you had to say. Your pissy little insult was just turd-icing on the shitcake that you've brought to the comments.
seriously? / May 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm
this is a none issue. its completely ridiculous. both sides. typical bs distractions. there are way more important things to spend your energy on.
seriously? / May 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm
*non-issue
Piggy Wiggly / May 3, 2012 at 11:32 pm
I WANT TO BE MAYOR BUT I DON'T WANT ALL THE ATTENTION IT BRINGS HURRDURR

As everybody knows, throwing a winny ass tantrum is certainly the best way to deal with any matter.
daniel / May 4, 2012 at 01:24 am
Why is ford buying property newsworthy anyway? Seems like the people justifying the reporter are not property owners. If there is someone near my house they better have a good fvcken reason for being thrre or they will feel the sharp blow of an asp across their kneecaps
Breaking News Alert / May 4, 2012 at 04:50 am
This just in. Rob Ford is a whiny baby. He calls 911 if he gets a papercut.
the lemur replying to a comment from daniel / May 4, 2012 at 09:48 am
It's newsworthy because people don't usually buy public property, because Ford is doing this as a private citizen, not in his capacity as mayor, and because it seems like he could just build a fence on his own property if he wanted a fence.

People who are near your house but on public property don't have to justify being near your house and you generally don't have cause to threaten them with assault for being there.

'they will feel the sharp blow of an asp across their kneecaps'

You got a licence for that snake?
awsds / May 4, 2012 at 10:25 am
if you believe this reporter i go a bridge in Brooklyn id like to sell you
james / May 4, 2012 at 10:38 am
If you believe this mayor, who has demonstrated a pattern of behaviour wheerein he lies, fabricates, denies, exaggerates and plays the victim card than you're being foolish and naive.

Seriously, are you willfully forgetting that he has absolutely lied in the past in similar circumstances?
awsds / May 4, 2012 at 10:52 am
i am an idiot
iSkyscraper / May 4, 2012 at 01:57 pm
Has anyone pointed out the idiocy of selling public land to Ford for "security" purposes, which are obviously related to being Mayor, when he will not be mayor much longer? What's going to happen in 2014, he gives the land back? This is not a smart precedent.
Sam Smith replying to a comment from Adam H. / May 5, 2012 at 12:10 am
" You don't have any evidence, then."

I'm STILL waiting for evidence from YOU shithead since the onus is on YOU!!!! Nice dodge you pulled there.
Zipper / May 5, 2012 at 10:02 am
BlogTO this is a low for your pseudo-journalism.
Dale you wimpy a$$ed shit, if you were a real journalist you would have been able to stand your ground, especially if your story was true.
Adam H. replying to a comment from Sam Smith / May 6, 2012 at 02:07 am
And how is the onus on me, turd-baker?
mark replying to a comment from Adam H. / May 6, 2012 at 06:14 pm
You automatically believe the reporter who pissed himself in fear at the sight of a public official. You are a loser who supports the dumb and cowardly. The onus is on you to prove the mayor did anything wrong. Instead he simply protected his family. A funny concept for you I know. Much easier to piss your pants and wait for an adult to come take care of you.
james / May 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Mark, when was his family in danger? You're just making things up to blindly defend your fearless leader. It's pathetic that the Ford bootlickers have to compromise themselves to justify Ford's behaviour. Typicaly though the right continues to repeat lies until they become fact. Sick.
kk / May 7, 2012 at 01:25 pm
Lots of angry right wing nut-bars posting here. They need to be de-amalgamated from Toronto so that they can elect whatever shitty mayor they want, and the real Torontonians can elect someone who isn't a colossal embarrassment like Rob Ford. You couldn't have elected a more un-cosmopolitan person.

And obviously Rob Ford is a hot-head who acted stupidly when there was no real threat and when a reporter was on public land and not private property. There is also no evidence that pictures were taken of Ford's private property.
v79 hater replying to a comment from v79 / December 12, 2013 at 06:08 pm
v79, its dirtbags like you that should be eliminated from this planet. You admit that you are a loser. And indeed you are. You should consider killing yourself.