Thursday, April 24, 2014Mostly Cloudy 9°C

Toronto of the 1960s

Posted by Derek Flack / August 15, 2010

ttc 1960sGiven that Mad Men -- and its yellow-tinged look at 1960s New York -- remains all the rage, I thought it might be fun to take a photographic tour of the Toronto of the 1960s. Well before my time, it's fascinating to see just how undeveloped the city was prior to the 1970s. Although the Viljo Revell-designed (new) City Hall was completed in 1965, many iconic features of Toronto's current landscape had yet to be built.

Particularly obvious is the lack of the CN Tower (completed 1976), but the photos below also reveal a skyline that's yet to feature First Canadian Place (completed 1975), Commerce Court West (completed 1972) and Scotia Plaza (completed 1988). In fact, in the early 1960s, Toronto looks a lot more like Buffalo than the city most of us know and (maybe) love.

Notably present -- and much more dominant on the skyline -- is the Mies van der Rohe-designed Toronto-Dominion Centre. And, not to be forgotten, the seemingly ever-present Royal York Hotel seems to loom much larger back then.

On a somewhat cliche level, the 1960s in Toronto was a time in which the subways were red, the Leafs were Stanley Cup Winners, Nathan Phillips was still mayor (at the very beginning of the decade) and Yorkville was a hippie hub.

Decidedly less cool than New York, but captivating nonetheless.

1963 (Buffalo-esque skyline)
toronto skyline 1963

Royal York 1963
royal york hotel 1963

View from the observation deck of City Hall 1966
toronto 1960s

Nathan Phillips Square looking south 1966
nathan phillips square historical

Bay and Wellington ca. 1966
20100814-baywellington.jpg

Gerrard Street ca. 1966
yorkville 1960s

Skyline 1967
toronto skyline 1967

Skyline 1967 (different angle)
toronto skyline 1967

Bathurst and Sheppard 1960s (year not specified)
toronto 1960s

View from Cliffside Drive in Scarborough 1961
scarborough 1960s

1967 Stanley Cup Champions
1967 Toronto Maple Leafs

Photo Credits (in order): petespix75, National Geographic, Old Time Trains, kurtkomit (x2), Toronto History/Toronto Archives (x2), Toronto Archives, pjs_deceased, Toronto Maple Leafs.

marky / August 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm
Very cool. Thanks!
John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm
somewhere between 1963 and 1967 another tower East of Royal York was built before TD towers, slightly shorter, and much more classic looking. Was that original Royal Tower before the Gold ones?
wowza / August 15, 2010 at 12:39 pm
everything was better back then. look at bay & wellington!
W. K. Lis / August 15, 2010 at 01:05 pm
Maps of Toronto or Ontario and air for your tires were free at gasoline stations. Pay for water bottles? Why, when water fountains was available and free in all city parks (hard to find water fountains today).
Bonk / August 15, 2010 at 01:07 pm
I love this stuff. Keep it coming!
James / August 15, 2010 at 01:08 pm
Where is that photo of the old streetcar loop set? Its vexing me. Thanks for the answer!
Chris Luckhardt / August 15, 2010 at 01:13 pm
Awesome series! Compare and contrast with some shots from a recent mega-photowalk I did last weekend. Quite a difference!

John Richardson / August 15, 2010 at 01:58 pm
It's the Humber streetcar loop
Adam Sobolak / August 15, 2010 at 02:00 pm
Streetcars are at Humber Loop (the IGA sign atop the Oshawa Distributors/Ontario Food Terminal admin building, where Sobeys stands today)
larryking / August 15, 2010 at 02:35 pm
does anyone know the story of why the city decided to extend the harbour by dumping landfill into the water and, in effect, creating more land? i can't seem to find a whole lot of information about it online. perhaps an article could be written about this topic.
Miriam / August 15, 2010 at 03:06 pm
I miss shopping at IGA!
Dave / August 15, 2010 at 03:23 pm
Yorkville looks exactly like Kensington Market... I wonder now if Kensington will look like Yorkville (circa 2010) in 2054.
Petit Oiseau / August 15, 2010 at 03:55 pm
well done. thanks for the photos.
David Toronto replying to a comment from larryking / August 15, 2010 at 03:58 pm
The reason for the extending of the shoreline south was because the harbour was very shallow. It was shaped more like a saucer and one had to go out quite a distance to have
any depth for ships. If you can find an old map of the harbour, you'll notice the piers are very long because of the shallowness of the harbour.

Pushing the shoreline south helped to deepen the harbour to the depth of around 9 metres. That would be enough for
the ships that would arrive in later decades through the St. Lawrence Seaway system.

I hope this answers your question.
David Toronto replying to a comment from John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 04:10 pm
@John Ross Harvey

I'm trying to make sense of your question. Can you please
rewrite and pinpoint the "tower's" location? From the sound of it I gather you mean the Bank of Commerce at 25 King St. W., since it was the only other prominent building on postcards of the skyline until the early '60s.
There was also the Toronto Star building on King St. W. and it was fairly prominent on the skyline at 20 storeys.

If these aren't what you're talking about then try to re-phrase so I can better understand in order to reply.
larryking replying to a comment from David Toronto / August 15, 2010 at 04:19 pm
thanks for the reply!
Simon / August 15, 2010 at 04:27 pm
Weird, I didn't know there were Steinberg's in Toronto.
Jennifer replying to a comment from James / August 15, 2010 at 04:58 pm
It's the humber loop (west lakeshore and gardiner).
bm replying to a comment from larryking / August 15, 2010 at 05:07 pm
i think they it create more land.
John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 05:31 pm
David Toronto : It's not seen in Buffaloesque at top, is to right of Royal York fir 1963 and next tallest to TD in the 1967 shot. Does that help?
David Toronto replying to a comment from John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 05:43 pm
I believe it may be the Toronto Star building.
Keith / August 15, 2010 at 05:44 pm
I don't think that is Yorkville pictured above. It looks like the area around Bay & Gerrard that was very hip in the 60's and actually pre-dated Yorkville.
John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 06:02 pm
It's probably on King because its not the current Star Building on Queen's Quay.

As for Humber Loop comments yes, the connection to Brown's Line is there.
David Toronto replying to a comment from Keith / August 15, 2010 at 06:13 pm
I believe it's in the Gerrard St. Village and
looks to be Walton Street, perhaps. Most of
Walton Street vanished when the southern
extension of the Chelsea was built.

That's quite the honking huge Mercury in
the photo.
David Toronto replying to a comment from John Ross Harvey / August 15, 2010 at 06:19 pm
The former Toronto Star building was on King
Street West. It was demolished in the 1970s
for the building of First Canadian Place.
I remember watching the linotype machines
being hauled out by crane from the 4th or
5th floor during the Star's move to #1 Yonge.
gadfly / August 15, 2010 at 06:53 pm
I would respectfully submit that the photo of Steinberg's is from 1959 or (at the latest) 1960. Coincidence or not, but in the foreground is a 1958 and a 1959 Pontiac. None of the cars in the background are newer than those two.
Great pics. I remember my dad taking us to see the CN Tower stub. I only wish we had brought a camera. I do have photos taken from the island with the roof of First Canadian Place still under construction. (Deja vu! It's under construction again!) But those photos were taken with my crappy Kodak Instamatac 110.
Linda / August 15, 2010 at 09:08 pm
WOW!!! Thanks so much for these photos. I love Toronto and seeing these old photos was really nice.
Marc / August 16, 2010 at 01:44 am
Beautiful! Toronto (and Canada) before the days of mismanagement, agenda, PC disease, rapid sprawl, rape of outside land, greed, and lack of common sense.
Marilou Hall / August 16, 2010 at 01:45 am
I believe that a lot of the fill for the harbour came from the excavation of the Yonge Street subway.
David Toronto replying to a comment from Marilou Hall / August 16, 2010 at 02:09 am
The harbour fill did not come from the 1949-1953 subway construction; it had already been filled in.
It is possible that further extensions to the subway contributed to the Leslie Street spit. The waterfront south of The Esplanade was a product of the 1920s.
----

The excavating of the Montreal Metro was what built the
Expo '67 islands.
Jaclyn / August 16, 2010 at 08:50 am
Beautiful.
Josh / August 16, 2010 at 09:23 am
Love these shots

The Stanley Cup in the last photo looks superimposed!
Rico replying to a comment from James / August 16, 2010 at 10:07 am
James, I am thinking St. Clair West just west of Keele. The Stockyards used to be there.
Rico replying to a comment from James / August 16, 2010 at 10:08 am
It seems others have stated it's the Humber Loop. I am not familiar with that area.
Rita Vindedzis / August 16, 2010 at 10:26 am
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. We lived on Ontario St. (Bloor and Sherbourne)until 1964 when my parents bought in to a new subdivision at Leslie and Cummer. This is the Toronto I remember as a child. I remember a class trip to the new city hall-it seemed so tall back then. We had Steinbergs and Safeway up in the new burbs and I remember the first McDonalds was up at Bathurst and Sheppard but that was later in the 70's.
Ken replying to a comment from James / August 16, 2010 at 10:35 am
Looks like the Humber Loop between Lake Shore and Queensway just east of Parklawn
Norm / August 16, 2010 at 11:36 am
David Toronto is quite correct about the "Yorkville" picture, it is the South side of Gerrard St. W. of Bay to Elizabeth St. The white low bldg on the right side is the back door to Mary John's restaurant that was a landmark for years even after in the new bldg. at that corner. I lived on the N. side at 92 and 94 Gerrard W. in 1959 to 1962. (The story is that Hemingway lived in one of the houses when he worked briefly at the Star) The area became known as our Greenich Village and had so many early "coffee houses" (Jack & Jill), art galleries (Jack Pollock), book stores (French & Nordic), photographers (at least 3), antique stores (Serendipidy), etc. In early May we had a street festival which I can tell you in boring early '60's Toronto was something exciting and unusual (very avant-guarde). This whole excitement preceded by a few years the "Yorkville" happening and was very much a community affair. Things began to move up the street with the success of the Bohemian Embassy and places like the Riverboat and the Myna Bird on Yorkville. It was a pretty heady time to be in your '20's and fancy-free.
Derek replying to a comment from Norm / August 16, 2010 at 11:49 am
I didn't really think that picture looked like Yorkville, but the source from which I posted the photo had it labeled as such. Given that this source is the Toronto Archives Flickr page, a corrective comment should probably also be placed there. As far as this post goes, I've been convinced it's Gerrard, so I'm going to alter my heading.
Larry Rossignol replying to a comment from Simon / August 16, 2010 at 02:49 pm
With respect the comment about Steinberg's. Yes, they were around till about the early seventies ( I am guessing ) and then they all switched to Miracle Mart.

I remember when Gerrard Street was "the village" and the centre of bohemia in the late fifties and early sixties before Yorkville took ascendency as the home of the counter culture (until the moneyed boutiques and art galleries took over).
jack criger replying to a comment from James / August 17, 2010 at 10:30 am
street car loop looks like the end of the Queen Street West, actually on the south side of The Queensway, just west of the South Kingsway. The Queen Street car ran west along Queen and The Queensway, and you could change cars at this loop to take another Westbound street car further west, along the Lakeshore, to Mimico and New Toronto. The loop is still there, although recently the building was replaced.
At least, that is what the photo looks like to me.
Vlad / August 17, 2010 at 10:48 pm
Well, street cars are still the same...
JDCSCOTT / August 18, 2010 at 02:34 am
Please stop comparing TO to NY, please stop being so insecure. I'm from out of town and it's embarrassing to read things like this!

'Toronto looks a lot more like Buffalo than the city most of us know and (maybe) love.'

'Decidedly less cool than New York, but captivating nonetheless.'

Great pics though!
Marc replying to a comment from JDCSCOTT / August 18, 2010 at 11:17 am
True. The reason there are those who still compare/put in the same context Toronto with New York, or look at NYC as an example, is because in the past Toronto had so much promise that it was projected to possibly reach the NYC (NYC when in good days) level in the future. Time passed and Toronto was left behind and squandered all of its opportunities for progress, mostly thanks to city hall and even the federal government.

Toronto today should really be put in the same context as Boston or Chicago. Not only in level, development level and population, but also the type of setting geographically. But even then, Toronto lags behind them.
Chris Luckhardt replying to a comment from JDCSCOTT / August 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm
Toronto gets compared to New York for good reason; Yonge-Dundas Square is modeled after Times Square.
Marc replying to a comment from Chris Luckhardt / August 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm
True, but the Yonge-Dundas square is too recent. My previous post was about Toronto in the past having so much promise to be like a peak-NYC, which is why there became the comparisons. We're talking decades back, almost half a century is when it started.
nice / August 18, 2010 at 01:24 pm
Nice pics! I love these old photos but don't like the way it makes me feel about 2010 Toronto. Toronto looks like it used to be a nice, live-able city. Also, isn't it weird to see so much open space and lack of crowds and traffic? I think so.
Bruce Mowat / August 19, 2010 at 12:20 am
If that shot of Gerrard was at/near Bay St., one of the houses was the birthplace of my paternal grandfather, Bruce Howard Mowat
Bruce Mowat / August 19, 2010 at 12:21 am
If that shot of Gerrard Street is accurate, one of those houses was the birthplace of Bruce Howard Mowat, my paternal grandfarher & name sake
Michael / August 20, 2010 at 03:10 pm
Way back in the early 70's, David Crombie, (a.k.a. our Tiny Perfect Little Mayor), decreed that no buildings were to be built that were over 45 feet in the downtown core.

Oh well.

Nice to see pictures of the city of my youth, when everyone was polite and spoke english.
Joe Chisholm / September 4, 2010 at 02:08 pm
My parents met at Ryerson in the late 50's. I was born in Toronto in 1960. It's amazing how new-age City Hall seemed then - maybe even space-age. No BMO or CN Tower or some of the New Scotia Tower and the absence of some of the other expected sites in a current day Toronto skyscape are one thing but seeing two young people floating on air-mattresses in Toronto harbour really paint a picture of a time that young people must have felt that that anything the wanted they could achieve and the future was full of awe and mystery. Innocent times indeed.
warmflash / September 25, 2010 at 10:53 am
So many beautiful buildings. You can thank Toronto's worst mayor, Nathan Phillips for green lighting the destruction of our city. So many great things ended with him.
Janet / September 29, 2010 at 11:55 am
If you were there, would you want to remember it?
Janet / September 29, 2010 at 11:56 am
If you were there, how could you possibly remember it?
Mark Satterthwaite / December 14, 2010 at 04:06 pm
I recently received a circulating email containing a series of photographs of Scarborough dating back to the fifties and beyond. Since I arrived in Scarborough as a British immigrant in 1952, I am familiar with many of these sites, many of which are no longer part of the landscape. I can't post them here, unfortunately, but anyone who wishes to see them can just let me know and I'll pass them on.
Lloyd replying to a comment from James / January 7, 2011 at 04:55 am
Streetcar loop is across from the Humber WWTP on the Queensway.
Ian replying to a comment from James / January 7, 2011 at 07:15 am
It's near the Ontario Food terminal past the Humber river on the Queensway.
wayne harris / January 10, 2011 at 10:03 am
My memory of the streetcar loop was that it was called the Long Branch loop.
Reg replying to a comment from James / January 12, 2011 at 04:46 pm
I believe this the end of the line for the Queen St. Cars and the Mimico Long Branch Cars. Just west of Roncesvaile (spelling not correct) & St Josephs hospital
jim replying to a comment from Janet / January 16, 2011 at 02:48 pm
Janet, CBC?
Josie / January 18, 2011 at 01:37 pm
RE View from Cliffside Drive in Scarborough 1961
The street in in the photo is Birchlawn Avenue, looking south towards Fishleigh Drive. Lived there for 10 years. Hasn't changed much!
Jack Stiles / January 20, 2011 at 08:22 pm
These photos bring a lot of memories back for my wife and myself and here are a few we remember.
We watched the Yonge St Subway being built in the late 40's early 50's as my wife worked on Toronto St.
Steinbergs, first store was in Crang Plaza NW corner of Jane and Wilson Ave. A Chain from the USA called Grand Union opened a supermarket there in the mid 50's and Steinbergs took over all their stores in the late 50's. Miracle Mart, owned by Steinbergs opened the store in Crang Plaza in the early 60's.
The "old"Bank of Commerce building,25 King St E was built in 1930 and my father Charles Stiles cut a lot of the stone for the building. For many years, it was the tallest building in the British Empire.
My wife and I were raised in the Earlscourt District of Toronto, both born in 1932, married in 1953. We moved from Toronto for business reasons over 40 years ago but return for a couple of weeks each year for a couple of weeks.
We also travel internationally and still find Toronto one of the most vibrant cities of the world
Lesley O / January 22, 2011 at 02:16 am
Great to see these; I was at the Ontario College of Art (& Design) 60 through 64 and also lived in TO in the late 40s and late 60s-early 70s. This whole series of shots is great. I still love the city, although we have lived in Alberta for over 30 years now -- and we are back regularly to visit friends and family.
Janet Cormier / January 25, 2011 at 10:55 am
Mark Satterthwaite

My husband was born and raised is Scarborough and we would love to see the pictures you have of that area. We would enjoy seeing them if you could email them to my email address of dieppenb1947@yahoo.ca

Thanks Mark
Ian / January 27, 2011 at 09:37 am
Thanks soooo much for the memories
Bert / February 4, 2011 at 05:24 pm
I lived on centre island when my father was overseas in ww1
that pic of the milkman brought back memmories.I used to walk with him on his deliveries but I also remember him having a truck in the summer.
Does anyone have any pics of the old tugboats they used to make the crossing to the city in winter?
Bill M replying to a comment from David Toronto / February 6, 2011 at 04:09 am
And the Studebaker in front of it - classics - wonder where they are now?? Scrap heap, hope not.
The later photo shows a '58 Pontiac and a '59 or '6o Oldsmobile in the parking lot.

Love those old RED ROCKETS.
Dan S replying to a comment from Josie / February 10, 2011 at 02:05 pm
Excellant pics, thank you.
I grew up on fishleigh and remember playing road hockey at the corner of Birchlawn and Fishleigh, I think the house was owned by the Barwells? Anyhow would anyone have a source for class pictures from 1965-1971 from Cliffside PS?

Regards
Dan
Angus McIntyre / February 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm
If you go back 50 years ago and you were Italian or Portuguese your 'phone number started with LEnnox, the Beach(es) was OXford, your downtown office was EMpire, if you were way out in Port Credit it was CRescent, and long distance to boot, but the really prestige numbers started with WAlnut (Rosedale). Other city exchanges were HUdson, ROger, UNiversity, HOward. CLifford, CHerry and BAldwyn. You could not take your number with you if you moved out of the exchange, and many people shared party lines. How would today's generation adjust to all that?

Angus.
Lynn Iacobelli / February 20, 2011 at 09:03 am
Thanks for the memories! I came from the UK in 1966, worked at Westeel-Roscoe, where I met and married my husband (Italian decent/parents came in the 1930's). The city was so clean and safe, I would walk from Church/Dundas to Fran's Rest at Younge/College alone or with the girls from Mary Glen Residence and all we had to deal with was whistles or the occasional comment but other than that the city was safe and clean. Could we say that today?
Margaret Foreman / February 25, 2011 at 12:51 am
Thank you for the memories, I also came from the UK in 1966,we use to be in Toronto alot, it was so clean, no ugly bill boards lit up, people were so friendly and not to much traffic wonderful shops great places to eat, my husband worked on Front street, we would walk up to Eaton's in those days you could walk anywhere day or night , Loved Fran's for a late dessert and coffee. I am so glad that I was able to see those times, because now I do not care for what Toronto has become. To dirty, and not to safe, and no really good shops anymore.
Ted M. / March 5, 2011 at 10:35 am
I moved to Toronto in the Spring of 1966 and worked on the Toronto Dominion towers as a sheet metal apprentice. Had to register with Sheet Metal Worker's Union Local 30 which was locted above Fran's restaurant (or possibly the building right next door), but remember had to go up in a little elevator that still had an elderly gentleman operating it. Got married in 1968 and first basement apartment was on Alexis Avenue at Bathurst and Sheppard......remember first shopping trip as a newlywed at tht Steiberg's store where we always shpped. Had forgot all about that...great memory.
p letheren replying to a comment from Dan S / March 20, 2011 at 10:08 pm
Dan, my Mom, Chris Shaw was the public school secretary at Cliffside P.S at that time and I might have a staff picture but not a classroom photo.
George / June 4, 2011 at 06:40 pm
I came to Toronto in 1966 from Sao Paulo Brasil where you can
get a drink in any time of day or night Toronto at that time
was almost a dry city, but it was clean and safe in 67 Maple leafs won the Stanley cup with Tim Horton standing in the second row, now we have Tim Horton's restaurants all over the city and Stanley cup forget about it, Torontonians are happy with anything on the skates we do not care if the Maple Leafs are getting in the play-off's or not just do not take the team away like Atlanta just lost there team.
lb / July 14, 2011 at 11:22 pm
of course no description or 60s Toronto would be complete without the self depricating comparison to new york and buffalo. how sadly Canadian.
Fantomex replying to a comment from lb / July 25, 2011 at 05:47 pm
Or the comparing Toronto today with Toronto yesterday and saying that it lacks something.
Craig Tomlins / July 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm
What David Flack refers to as a very Buffalo-esque skyline strikes me as a very Toronto-esque skyline. I know Toronto circa 1960's much better than I know Toronto today (only a short time later). Inasmuch as David Flack says the 60's are much before his time shows that he can't be very old at all.
I loved the Toronto of the 60's those scant few years ago.
But all in all it's a good presentation.
koolgreen replying to a comment from Ken / September 4, 2011 at 08:48 pm
its at roncesvale
John Wallace replying to a comment from Angus McIntyre / October 4, 2011 at 09:35 pm
Before the ROger exchange was JUnction. I believe that it was named for the Junction area at Annette/Dundas/Dupont streets.
We had a wall-mounted telephone in a phone booth-sized room on the main hall. Our number went from JU to RO9 in the 50s.
Karin replying to a comment from Simon / November 6, 2011 at 01:34 pm
Steinberg was owned by the Montreal Steinberg family. It then became Miracle Mart and eventually Food Basics.(Toronto)
Bruce L replying to a comment from larryking / November 13, 2011 at 02:05 pm
I remember in the late 60's 70's the build up for Ontario Place was built on landfill
sven sundqvist / December 28, 2011 at 03:02 am
I lived in Toronto 1967-72 and it brings me back, all these photos! Great/Sven
diana felske / January 16, 2012 at 04:03 pm
loved the pictures it sure brings back memories.I was a teen then and we had a lot of fun.
Gini replying to a comment from Simon / January 17, 2012 at 05:21 pm
There was a Steinberg's at Jane and Wilson on the northside in Crang Plaza.
Roy / January 17, 2012 at 06:39 pm
Wow. Mary John's restaurant on Garrard Sreet! Haven't seen it in more than 40 years. I do not know when it first opened but it must have been in the 1930s. It survived into the 1980s. In 1967 dinner was $1.00 and pie for dessert was an extra 25 cents. That was ridiculously cheap even then. The elderly German waitresses were always cross (Tired of putting up with young people like me, no doubt). And the real posters by Cassandre on the walls, varnished over dozens of times. A Toronto institution that everyone of a certain age remembers.
Gene replying to a comment from David Toronto / January 31, 2012 at 03:20 am
David, that is definitely the north side of Gerrard St just west of Bay St. My brother had an art studio in that Blue building. It was the village long before Yorkville Ave.
lester pretty replying to a comment from James / February 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm
the streetcar photo was at the humber loop
lester replying to a comment from wayne harris / February 2, 2012 at 01:05 pm
the longbranch loop was at the western end of the line.
David C / February 15, 2012 at 05:00 pm
Wow, some great pitcures. Brings back a lot of memories.
Is that the Sutton Restaurant on Bay St. in one of those photos and didn't they have an all you can eat buffet?
Margaret Hillier replying to a comment from James / March 4, 2012 at 07:21 pm

Looks like the streetcar loop in Long Branch and if so it is still there.
Liz / April 14, 2012 at 02:49 pm
That streetcar loop is definitely the Humber Loop. I used to take it every day from Mimico when I worked at the Attorney General's office at Queen & University (which is now the ballet center) from 1964 to l966.
Marie Nolan / May 3, 2012 at 02:09 pm
What was the name of the city's annual event that took place in June throughout Toronto where all the ethnic centre's would have an openhouse with their cultural foods and entertainment? You could purchase a passport and be transported throughout the city to the participating centres. Does this event still happen?
Marie Nolan / May 19, 2012 at 07:23 pm
The Caravan that right - I remember having so awesome times. It's too bad they haven't carried on. Thank you so much Ellen!!
Ed mathany replying to a comment from marky / May 22, 2012 at 07:56 pm
Does anyone know the name of the restaurant at the SW corner of Front St and Yonge durigthe1960's?
koolgreen / July 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm
who's got more????
Roy / July 15, 2012 at 07:42 pm
I do not think Toronto compares favorably with New York or even Chicago, which is quite a bit bigger and older. Toronto is like Boston but without all the old buildings or maybe like Dallas but with lesser cultural offerings.
Toronto is right in the Mid West and if you doubt it, drive a few miles down to London, Ontario and check out all the old women with blue hair. They are the true Ontario denizens.
eric / August 4, 2012 at 01:48 pm
Inbetween 1960-1965 i took some cine from the observation balcony on the top of the Imperial Bank of Commerce on King Street which was 32 storys high and the tallest building in Toronto at that time.
roman / August 14, 2012 at 09:06 pm
Anybody remember Frank Sterba or his wife Maria Veronocia Stupka. Where they lived? Grandson- Roman Cech . Thank you.
Thomas O / September 28, 2012 at 07:54 pm
I note the Cork Room Tavern and wondering if anyone knows the name of the street where it was located. Possibly King St. ???
John W. / December 20, 2012 at 11:12 am
Yes, the Bank of Commerce Building was the tallest in Toronto for many years before the T-D Tower complex. Nice to see the Leaf photo. Was at the game, certainly would not have envisionned going 45 years (and no doubt more to come) without winning another cup as the victory in 1967 was the fourth of that decade.Given that it was a decidely older crowd, I would gather that there may be fewer than 1,000 people left who actually saw the Leafs win the cup.
Mike Scott replying to a comment from Mark Satterthwaite / January 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Hi Mark,

I grew up in Scarborough near Highland Creek and Kingston Road in the fifties and would love to see your photos from the circulating email you referred to in your post...thank you...Mike
sven sundqvist / February 6, 2013 at 09:02 am
If I will send som pictures from 1968,where to ?
Mavis replying to a comment from David Toronto / March 15, 2013 at 04:58 pm
Reply to David and Keith

It was the Village on Gerrard St. The Village in the early 1960s ran from Elizabeth St. Along the north and south side of Gerrard St. from Bay to Yonge St. there were Coffee Houses where the Flower Children gathered and the 'Beatniks' wearing black turtle-neck sweaters and berets gathered. There were art and craft shops along the north side of Gerrard St between Elizabeth & Bay with 'The Blue Easel' and 'Unicorn' that began there.
Mavis replying to a comment from Gene / March 15, 2013 at 05:41 pm
That photo is of the south side of Gerrard. The Village was on Gerrard in the early 60s - between Elizabeth & Bay Sts.

The 'Blue Easel Studio' was on the north side of Gerrard, between Elizabeth & LaPlante St. with the 'Unicorn' next to it. The Unicorn then moved across Bay St. to the south side of Gerrard near the car wash.
Bonnie / March 27, 2013 at 07:49 pm
Hello:
In 1960 I worked in Toronto at the Bell (Bell Telephone Company of Canada Ltd)and on Long Distance. A call came in from a famous Hotel at the time and I can't remember the name, but I think it was something like the Red Steer of something similar. Does anyone remember a similar name? I might have it wrong but hoping someone knows.
Christine Straling [nee Travis / April 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm
I'm originally from Toronto,live at 125 Logan Avenue, Eastern Avenue and Logan.

My grandmother's home where my parents and I lived was across from the Brown's Bread Horse Stables. As a little girl I spent many hours watching the Blacksmiths shoe the Horses, until my Grandmother saw me and told me too stay away from those dirty old men...ha they were probably only in their twenties?
My Mother and Father bought a home in Scarborough, 21 Marta Avenue Birchmount and Danforth Road area.
I attended J.G. Workman School where I met my furture Husband whose Grandfather was a Blacksmith....dejavu.

My Mother and I would often go to Toronto to Simpsons, Younge and Dundas for the day.
Coming from Scarborough we would go to the Lutrelle Loop to catch a Streetcar to downtown Toronto to Simpson's and this was always a great time and oh yeah we always had to have one of thoe delicious Shops'y Hotdogs and Orange Drink.

This is a Great Memory of mine and to share it with my beautiful Mother Frances Mary Travis, kiss,kiss.

Chris.
wholesale nfl jerseys nike / May 7, 2013 at 11:21 am
Continue to keep the idea intending..Really liked examining this kind of, superior items, many thanks.
Donna / May 21, 2013 at 02:15 pm
These are fabulous photos, brings back memories. Yes it was the Village. I grew up near Bathurst and Dundas in the sixties. Anyone remember the Centre Theatre? Trinity Bellwoods park was very different then.
robert hamon replying to a comment from Christine Straling [nee Travis / July 12, 2013 at 04:45 pm
Christine, in 1945 I lived at 77 Logan Ave. Across from the Brown's bread factory and stables. I attended Morse St. school kindergarden with Miss Kelley and then Grade 1, can't remember teacher. Then moved to 83 Sparkhall Ave. off Logan Ave. west of Withrow park. Went to Withrow school and then to Danforth Tech. Do you remember the La Plaza movie house near Broadview Ave. So many memories eh?
Robert Hamon replying to a comment from Roy / July 12, 2013 at 04:55 pm
Roy, that is an interesting comparison that my sister-in-law in London who is a blue rinse lady who is at the moment curled up with laughter. Love it.
Robert Hamon / July 12, 2013 at 05:08 pm
I'm an old Torontonian now living in England and a question came up the other day in conversation re Yorkville circa. 1959/60.
What was the name of the art gallery on the west side of Yonge St. between Bloor and Cumberland St.?
To perhaps jog someone's memory the owner was charged with obscenity for diplaying a freezer filled with wax body parts.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Robert Hamon replying to a comment from Roy / July 12, 2013 at 05:30 pm
Hi Roy, it's me again. I remember that restaurant in the original TO village. Ernest Hemingway lived there in the 30's and Bobby Ross a wonderful art teacher from the famous Central Tech's art dept. was thrown in jail for painting blue trees. Wasn't it John' and Mary's restaurant? A group of us from Bregman and Hamann Architects regularly lunched there in the 60's. I started my own business in Yorville in 1972. I wouldn't trade my Toronto past for anything. Good old TO.
Robert Hamon replying to a comment from Bonnie / July 12, 2013 at 05:39 pm
Bonnie, the 2 famous hotels at that time in TO were The King Edward and the Royal York, both downtown.
The King Edward, according to a travelling friend of mine was the more cozy as it was smaller.
The Royal York was the biggest hotel in the British Empire and is located across from Union Station.
Bonnie / July 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Hello Robert Hamon and thanks for this reply. These two hotels were not what I was referring to. In 1960 a call came in to the Long Distance = Toll Unit 17 on Asquith Avenue near Yonge and Bloor where I worked at Bell Canada. It was from Ginger Rogers but I can't remember the name of the Hotel she was calling from. It was something Stag or Steer, I can't remember. I was hoping someone might help.

Thanks anyway, Bonnie
natalie g / July 15, 2013 at 07:27 pm
Hi Robert: thanks for these great pics and the blog. Am writing s/thing and trying to find pics of College & Spadina area -notably what is now CAMH, before the remodel. It looked very different in 67. Any idea where I can get a photo of this. I've searched the web. Also pics of Spadina, looking south from College.

Thanks again, Natalie G
Michael Ricco / August 15, 2013 at 03:16 pm
I remember that Steinberg's in Crang Plaza very well :). I would love to see photos of Crang Plaza from the 60s posted on this (great) site. Thank you for the site, the albums and the thousands of pictures. Sites like this one is what makes the Internet so wonderful!!!
Sharon replying to a comment from Thomas O / October 18, 2013 at 05:10 pm
The cork room was at the north west corner of Bay & Wellington.
Glenn / December 1, 2013 at 09:34 pm
Help !!
I`m having a big problem trying to track down any info or memories of a couple teen nite clubs from way back when in the 60`s ......"The Met" in New Toronto and the "Mimicombo" in Mimico.
Did they actually exist or am I just getting senile and dreaming that I used to dance there?!? LOL
George replying to a comment from Rita Vindedzis / December 14, 2013 at 02:02 am
No, it was at the NW corner of Dufferin and Wilson.
R. Hewitt / January 9, 2014 at 08:09 am
Since the advent of the Parti Quebecois in Quebec, we have seen massive growth in Toronto. Montreal's drain has been Toronto's gain.
George / March 20, 2014 at 04:09 am
The "MET" was a great dance on Lakeshore at Seventh. Located on second floor but with a really decent dance floor, enjoyed by many of Toronto's top round dancers (remember "Little Red"? Herbie?. Somewhat small venue but floor and music compared favourably to Balmy Beach Club, in the east end on the lake.
"Mimicombo" was at the old roller rink on Lakeshore in Mimico (now Etobicoke). It mainly featured R&B and R & R, often with live bands including James Brown.
George / March 20, 2014 at 04:15 am
p.s.
The '50's & '60's were a great time for young people with dances available every night of the week, plus Sat & Sun afternoons.
Anyone up for a little guessing trivia???