Friday, October 24, 2014Clear 5°C

Haunted Halloween Attractions in Toronto

Posted by Laura Iaccino / October 10, 2008

Haunted Houses TorontoOut of the hundreds of things that happen every year around Halloween in Toronto, my favourite attractions have been, and always will be, haunted houses. No two are ever the same, and they never fail to entertain. Even though I absolutely hate it when people jump out at me, the anticipation is always the worst and I end up laughing at myself. Or swearing under my breath. It varies.

After working at a haunted house last year, I've become slightly infatuated with the whole idea, and think they're far too underrated. This year there's quite a few major haunts I plan to check out over the next month.

Halloween HauntsNightmare On Queen St 2 (Oct 24-26, and Oct 19-Nov1)
For the second year in a row, Nightmare on Queen St 2 is created by Playdead Cult and Darkside. They're well-known for doing things a little differently at the mansion. Not only are there the usual haunt monsters, but I'll also be able to get up-close and personal with blood and gore courtesy of some of the best SPFX artists in the city. I was a part of this last year, and if past experience has anything to say, it's going to be awesome. Admission is $10. All Ages.

Haunted AdventureThe Haunted Adventure (Oct weekends, Fri-Sun except the 12th)
The Haunted Adventure at Magic Hill Farm in Stouffville has been tried tested and true for 18 years as one of the original haunts around. These tend to be the creepiest, since it's a forest and an actual old stone barn rather than a set up building. I grew up going to farm haunts, and they're very effective. Trust me. And who doesn't love a haunted hay ride? Just don't let Cavendish get ya. Admission is $14-$38 depending on how many attractions you want to see, kids cost less as usual. Parking is free.

ScreemersScreemers (Oct 17-Nov1)
Screemers is the behemoth haunt in Toronto. Boasting six main attractions this year along with a mini-carnival fondly known as "The Field of Screams", Screemers has been running solid for 15 years at Exhibition Place. Features include "The Black Hole", "The Asylum", and apparently a chainsaw in there somewhere. I'm too scared to go to this thanks to my friends warning me about certain things, so I'll just...uh...wait here, you guys tell me how it is. Admission is $28.50. Ages 10 and up.

Canada's WonderlandCanada's Wonderland (Oct 1-Nov1, Fri-Sun)
Canada's Wonderland is also becoming a major stop, raking up over 10,000 visitors last year. They claim it's never the same as previous years, so stay on your toes and don't be "that guy" who isn't scared because they "totally remember it from last year" (side note: those guys always get scared, haha). Features ten mazes and a live show. Admission is $24-$42 depending on if you want a meal deal. No, you can't get in for free with a Season Pass, as convenient as that would be.

Casa LomaCasa Loma's Haunted Mansion (Oct 29-30)
Haunted Mansion at Casa Loma is an option for the tamer crowd, and those with kids. The castle features a Spooky Attic, Dragon's Den, Magic Mirror, and Ghouls and Goblins around every corner. There are also a few live shows to see at various points throughout the day, such as "Magic Mike" the magician and "Frankenstein" presented by the Men in Tights. Admission is $12 for adults, $7.50 for seniors/youths, and kids are $6.76. "Frankenstein" is $2 for adults, $1 for kids. Get all that?

Feel free to add any haunts in the comments below I may have missed!

Photos by IrenaS, lockphilip, jefe46, and mountainhiker, and hauntedadventure.com.

Dawn / October 10, 2008 at 10:40 am
Thank you SO much for posting this, I love haunted houses. We went to Screemers last year and the first house we went into I have never been so scared. And the clownhouse...ugh, I hate clowns and I was freaked out. Not to mention the stuff that goes on outside the haunted houses...great to check out at least once in your lifetime!
Steph / October 10, 2008 at 11:12 am
Yeah awesome post! I've been to Wonderland for two years now and it's fun indeed. It has been very similar from year to year so I'm interested to see what's new... yes, I still get scared regardless. Nightmare on Queen St 2 sounds very cool - I'll have to check that out especially since it's right in the city!
Carlos / October 10, 2008 at 11:44 am
There is usually a really god one on Florence Street! (across from 77 florence Building). Florence is just north of Queen and Brock.
I hope they do it again this year!
Adam / October 10, 2008 at 11:47 am
Great post! I'm going to check a couple of these out for sure. Thanks.
Eve / October 10, 2008 at 11:58 am
Dont' forget the "real" ghosts of Toronto. Muddy tours does a great haunted tour of the city and UofT. Mackenzie house ("haunted" by Mackenzie himself and his wife?) is doing a tour of haunted Toronto that finishes with a tour of the house!

I'm more interested in the "real" haunted houses. I always thought that my imagination was scarier than the bogeyman jumping out of the corner and screaming "boo".

Do you have any listings of "real" haunted houses or places we can visit on Halloween?!?
O. Terry / October 10, 2008 at 12:37 pm
Some nice photos here. The shot of Canada's Wonderland is great. (who's is it, btw). And eventhough the photo of Casa Loma is taken in the daytime, in the context of this article it brings to mind a shot from the film "The Innocents" (1961). A suitably creepy film for this time of year.
Paige / October 10, 2008 at 02:56 pm
To help you get in the dressing up mood early there is also the Toronto Zombie Walk on Sunday October 19th:
Laura / October 10, 2008 at 04:23 pm
@Paige: For sure! Roger and I are doing a big post about the Zombie Walk this year. Big Review and LOTS of photos. :)

@Eve: There will be a post dedicated to just that topic going up within the next little while.

@O: The shot was taken by jefe46 via Flickr. It's gorgeous, isn't it?
PaulT / October 10, 2008 at 11:57 pm
Warning to Parents about Magic Hill / Haunted Advenure -- They are very Birthday Party UNFRIENDLY. They'll gladly sell you a block of tickets in advance, but if some kids can't attend, they'll just say "too bad -- find some others." Suffice it to say that we are VERY disappointed and upset.

We ended up taking two sets of kids (the birthday party kids and another batch with the unrefundable tickets). Suggest the ideal age is 10 - 12. After that age they'll find it lame. Also, the it only takes 10 - 15 minutes for each attraction so $24 for three attractions lasts lasts less than an hour -- not a very good value.

The only truthful thing on their website is it is a terrifying place -- poor value and worse customer service.
Paige / October 17, 2008 at 06:17 pm
Hey Laura, It's great to hear you will be there. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Keep an eye out for me and my crew (yeah right-among the 1000's of zombies). I will be a dead fisherman!
See you Sunday (maybe) :)
Bryan F / October 20, 2008 at 11:36 am
I Love Halloween!! Has anyone been to screamers at Exhibition Place in Toronto? Is it worth checking out? I found a great Halloween Party Guide at http://www.clubpath.com/. Shows a detailed listing of all Halloween events in Toronto
Paige / October 20, 2008 at 03:26 pm
Hey Bryan,
I went to both Wonderland (am I allowed to mention it? it's not Toronto lol)and Screemers this year. I think both are worth checking out. That being said we could have different ideas about what is good! I went this past Saturday to Screemers and by 10 or 11 most of the indoor mazes had big line ups. I would recommend going this weekend if you can and be there when it opens. They have a $5off coupon on their site under the "all the chilling details" tab (not valid on Halloween). I thought the mazes were really good (the themes they chose and what they did in them). I did all the mazes but the Asylum (line up was too long). The 3D one had great effects (if you wear the 3D glasses they provide). Some outdoor carnival rides are also included in the price. They checked off the maze as you went in so I think you can only do each maze once but I could be wrong. I didn't try to go in anything 2x. Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know.
Bryan F / October 20, 2008 at 09:51 pm
Thanks for the reply, I live close to the ex so I will def check out screamers.
Ed / October 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm
Hey do you guys know if Screemers or the one at Wonderland is better?
Paige / October 22, 2008 at 11:52 am
Hey Ed,
They are both different in how they do things. Wonderland has more mazes but they are spread out all over the park so you could spend 1/2 your night walking around trying to find them (they did have people holding tall poles with signs on them at the entrance to each maze which helped).
The scare at Wonderland seems to be more about the people scaring and not the maze. The mazes are not as decorated or detailed as the ones at the ex (I think) but you can go through the ones at Wonderland multiple times if you want to. The rides are more extensive at Wonderland (there's about 14-16 coasters you can ride) and are fun to ride at night.
So (in conclusion lol) if you're into rides (or quantity of things to do) I would recommend Wonderland but if you like detail (which I do)or not having to walk around a lot or if you like being warm (the Screemers mazes are inside a building-except for the maniac maze) then I would go to the Ex.
Does that help? lol
Marta / October 24, 2008 at 01:55 am
We are having a Halloween Costume Swap! To join in the fun, check out http://www.SwapSity.ca. Happy Halloween!!
Kevin / October 26, 2008 at 11:01 pm
get this might be a dumb question, but are you allowed to wear a Halloween costume when you go to screemers? i know you can't when you go to wonderland, but was thinking maybe screemers is different
Paige / October 26, 2008 at 11:11 pm
Hi Kevin,
I'm not sure (don't remember but didn't see any when I went) and the screemers site didn't say anything but I would doubt that you are allowed too,
Have a great Halloween!
Noxious / October 28, 2009 at 01:46 pm
I have put together an almost instant art show, Dreams & Nightmares is an ongoing Halloween Art Show. This is the 10th. It features the work of Menno Krant, Runt, Noxious, Bad Pixie, Beth Learn, Jungle Ling, Charles Taylor, Krystina Hunter. This year it's in an impromptu gallery located in behind 781 Queen St. E. I call the Back Space. Located three blocks east of Broadview Ave on the south side, turn down the lane way beside the bridal shop, then turn right (walk - no cars allowed in lane). You can google some of the artists to see their style. Not for children. Saturday 10am - 7pm, Sunday 10am - 4pm. Drop by for some hot and spicy apple cider
Stacy / September 28, 2010 at 03:54 pm
Looks like Magichill is not having it's halloween stuff this year! 2010
Lisa / October 18, 2010 at 12:46 am
If anyone lives out in the east end of the GTA or is willing to travel, Phantom Farms has another great Haunted Farm attraction. They have a huge barn that you go through with many different rooms, themes... and more than a few creepy twists. Very well done, and the staff are great. Beware to chickens... the "groundskeeper" is friendly! Also provides a haunted hayride with some popular characters and some uninvited guests along the way. This was a "first date" many years ago, we go back every year for the scare.

nix / October 18, 2010 at 05:51 pm
wonderland is not scary at all , theres security guards behind each monster, its pathetic!!! i didnt like it!!, for kids it would be good but to get an actual scare go somewhere else
Melissa / October 21, 2010 at 05:12 pm
If you guys are into blood and guts and awesome FX make-up, you should check out Tom Savini at IMATS on Nov 7. He is the creative genius behind makeups for Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th, Grindhouse, Creepshow and From Dusk 'Til Dawn. He'll be talking about all things gore and signing autographs all weekend. You can get tickets at www.imatsshow.com
clarissa / October 22, 2010 at 12:57 am
Halloween Haunt at Wonderland is absolutely pathetic. There are literally hundreds of people in a haunted house at one time, joking and laughing and talking with the guards. The haunted houses are very light and use strobe lights throughout, making it very corny. Not to mention, the music played is rock and roll and not eerie, more like something you want to dance to. The line ups are extremely long, and it's silly.
Anne / October 24, 2010 at 03:14 am
Hi all...sad news...The Haunted Adventure at Magic Hill Farm in Stouffville has been cancelled. I went there tonight and it was closed. The phone has been disconnected same with the email address. We werevery disapointed. Does anyone know why it closed??
roger / October 25, 2010 at 02:39 am
you guys should check out the power house it resides were the old lake shore mental instute used to be there are 5 attractions to see for 12 cheap for a good scare i volunteer there so dont be suprised if u pee ur self
roger / October 25, 2010 at 02:41 am
please come check out the power house formaly the old lake shoe asylum 12 gets u in to 5 attraction no were to run they will get u off guard just thought i would throw it out ther
blu3kush / October 31, 2010 at 08:54 am
Ive been to alot of these and im going to the last one tonight (screamers!) and i got some god em... gunna b a blast. as for the ones ive been 2 id say canadas wonderland was the best because all the rides where still up and running.
Sean / October 31, 2010 at 04:42 pm
So is the wonderland one better than the screamers one if I were to go tonight?
I feel like screamers will be PACKED tonight!..what do you guys thing?
blu3kush / October 31, 2010 at 05:38 pm
wonderland is packed at all hours, i havnt been 2 the ex in years so i rally dont know
michelle / September 26, 2011 at 01:29 pm
Screamworks in Whitby is suppose to be good. Been around about 10 years.

www.screamworks.ca
michelle / September 26, 2011 at 01:30 pm
Screamworks in Whitby is suppose to be good. Been around about 10 years.

www.screamworks.ca
connor / October 15, 2011 at 01:03 pm
i love the Halloween haunt. although what about the new abandoned psychiatric hospital they turned into a haunted house in Toronto? someone let me know how that is!
connor / October 15, 2011 at 01:06 pm
going to Halloween Haunt tnight gunna be AWSOME! im hitten every haunted house their is! ill let everyone know how it is. and nobody play to cool to be scared cause thats really gay. nobody likes them.
Kathy / October 25, 2011 at 07:59 pm
Out of all these places which one would suggest for children 11 years old???
JoArion / October 27, 2011 at 09:54 am
What is the age restriction at screamers? Are six years old kid allow in?
Mari / October 30, 2011 at 01:24 am
Magic Hill Haunted Adventure was pretty good. Went one year, really busy and raining,b ut ok. Went on my birthday Oct 29 exactly 12 years ago today, and they were closed> Very annoying,e specially since their recording didn't indicate that when you called. (Maybe it was an emergency, but ..> annoying none the less.
Shut up replying to a comment from Dawn / February 12, 2012 at 08:26 pm
r u crazy nobody loves haunted house r u stupid
Rich replying to a comment from Mari / October 18, 2012 at 11:29 am
I worked for magic hill when I was a teen in the field for the hayride. Ahh... memories of scaring the shit out of people.

Anyways, Magic Hill has since ceased operations. FYI
Warren Muster replying to a comment from Dawn / October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm
**FREE* Extreme Haunted House for Charity

Don't let this being free fool you, this house is extreme!!!

Over 2800sqft inside and outside!

Check out our site for all the details.... Dates, Times, Acts and everything else you want to know!

www.hauntedtemhome.ca

THIS IS NO JOKE - COME IF YOU DARE, WE GUARANTEE A SCARE!

386 Taunton Road East, Ajax Ontario, L1Z 1V2

Running Dates :
Thursday October 18th 7pm - 10pm
Friday October 19th 7pm - 11pm
Saturday October 20th 7pm - 11pm
Sunday October 21st 7pm - 10pm

Thursday October 25th 7pm - 10pm
Friday October 26th 7pm - 11pm
Saturday October 27th 7pm - 11pm
Sunday October 28th 7pm - 10pm

Wednesday October 31st 7pm - 10:30pm

Some Details....

We don't want to give anything away....so....just know that as soon as you park your car, the experience starts! This haunted house is fully interactive....meaning....you will have to interact with the actors to move through the house, there may be points where YOU have to find your way....there may be points where you have to do something to reveal the next step or figure something out to be able to pass, you may have to remember something or save something...in this Haunted House, all you can do is expect the unexpected and hope for the best!!

Each year we make the Haunted House different, so there is no chance of knowing what is to come! The set is designed in house and takes about 3 months to complete! This is not a simple walk through house like at Niagara Falls and according to last years guests...better than screamers.....you could say screamers with a TWIST. When you enter the house, you become immersed in the moment and are actually part of the experience!

We strive to make things as realistic and scary as possible. Those who come thinking there is no way we will get you....well you couldn't be any *wronger! We Guarantee we will get you or your money back!! Did we mention that this event is free for the community? Well....it is, although, we couldn't make it possible without the support of our community, so we ask that if your enjoyed the event and want to come again next year, please leave a Donation!!

What else is different about this event you may ask....well not only do we have a Haunted House, we have anywhere from 10 - 20 actors inside, we also have live entertainment during the later hours from 7:00pm to 11:00pm. There is plenty to do as many of the sponsors of our event will be on display. There is food and drink for purchase. The sound system in this house is absolutely amazing and all the tracks are made in house! The light show is also stellar and will, with no doubt, be a highlight to the event, no pun intended!

During the daytime from 12:00pm to 4:00pm we open up the house sans actors....meaning no crew inside! This gives a chance to for the younger haunters to come and walk through the house while it is not tooo scary...but older people don't be fooled, you cannot get a chance to see what is going on during the day as several sections of the house are closed until the night showing....just so that you can't sneak a peek!

Here's a couple more things that we offer.....around the grounds there are FREAKY PHOTO areas set up which have been designed to make for great pictures of you and your family....we have camera's set up throughout the haunted house and you can purchase a video of your walkthrough....this is no short ride, the house takes at least 20mins to get through....longer if your get stuck!!!...."evil laugh".... The video will be emailed to you as a .mov file and is only $10 bucks!!
Warren Muster replying to a comment from Shut up / October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm
I LOVE HAUNTED HOUSES- YOUR STUPID! LOL
Warren Muster replying to a comment from Kathy / October 18, 2012 at 12:13 pm
We have daytime hours for the younger ones, no actors in the house,

7-11 though is really intese, we also have live bands and DJ's a different one each night!
Jason / October 26, 2012 at 01:42 pm
The Haunted Adventure at Magic Hill Farm in Stouffville is out of business (or am I missing something?) please update or your info or do a better job at providing information more current
Matt / September 10, 2013 at 11:59 am
Ahhh forget the Toronto events, try the ones just over the border in Buffalo or Detroit. Much cooler and way more intense!
lindsey / September 13, 2013 at 02:05 pm
A friend told me about a haunted house in Toronto where only about 15% of ppl make it through, & if you do, you get a t-shirt and whatever else. . . I can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone happen to know where that is.. or the name of it? Thank you !!!!!
Me replying to a comment from lindsey / September 13, 2013 at 03:40 pm
I think that was a movie you saw dear.
deone / October 13, 2013 at 03:14 am
Does anyone know what happened to magic hill??
someone said it was something tragic?
Fawkes / October 17, 2013 at 10:47 am
i remember helping out with the haunted adventure at magic hill. it was good experience and you didnt need to be an expert to join in, just send in a email and they would reply to you. overall pretty fun and they supplied the costumes but some people would act aggressive to those dressed up. i have bruises from where a guy shoved me back into a shelf. i mean, really? we come there to scare you, you come to be scared. if you cant take it then leave. dont assault us because we pop out around a corner. we cant see in the dark either. i know a guy that got curb stomped by a man whose sole intent was to show off for his girl. after that year they closed the adventure. they told us they had to deal with some issues and they would open again, but they never did. i dont know if that was the reason or not but i do know that over the time of opening the hayride, more and more actors were getting injured on set.
beck replying to a comment from Dawn / October 22, 2013 at 05:09 pm
Take a look at Topham Terrors. Its a home haunt but on a very professional level up in Richmond Hill. They charge 2.00 with proceeds going to Sick Kids Hospital.
Nick / October 23, 2013 at 09:47 pm
That white house with the Skulls is my Uncles house it was also used in the movie Suck!
play ghosts season pass free / February 11, 2014 at 10:35 am
The vast plethora of promotional items has thousands
of options to offer to the user. If you too are an avid snowboarder, you know what I'm talking about: It's June, July,
August, whatever. Some could be considered samples while others
more like trinkets.
Playstation Plus Gratuit / February 13, 2014 at 03:18 pm
It is enhanced by sonic boom in a impressive
line-up of stretch of land, air and sea cars or trucks.
No doubt this was what Sony intended by making the
claims they did. You can order the products from Amazon in the following links: 'Final Fantasy XIV:
A Realm Reborn' and PS4.
Scary Maze / March 4, 2014 at 08:11 am
I adore this labyrinth. Exactly like in ScaryMaze.
mop parowy / May 23, 2014 at 06:58 pm
Take it from a divorced guy. As I was encouraging
my autistic son to" hurry up" and" blonder"and" my life sucks! After Ms Gillard was deposed by Kevin Rudd, Ms Cash denounced Ms Wong who had supported Mr Rudd's move as being part of the post you are reporting.