Toronto Music News: NXNE and Toronto Jazz Festival line-ups announced, Tokyo Police Club partner up with Dine Alone Records, new Crystal Castles LP in June, & More..
In this edition I feature details on the preliminary line-up for NXNE 2010 and the complete Toronto Jazz Festival line-up; details about Crystal Castles' forthcoming sophomore LP; info on Tokyo Police Club's recently announced partnership with Dine Alone Records; an interview offering a tentative timeline for the next Lullabye Arkestra LP; Apostle of Hustle's recent charity donation; and details on how you can help out Saint Alvia, who had their van stolen in Hamilton last week.
Plus downloads from The Ghost is Dancing and videos from Muneshine featuring D-Sisive & Shad, Jason Collett & Zeus, Gentleman Reg, Modern Superstitions, Arietta and more.
Preliminary NXNE line-up announced
The preliminary line-up for NXNE 2010 has been announced, with the main attraction being Iggy & The Stooges' free Yonge & Dundas show on June 19, co-presented by Virgin. Iggy fans who have already purchased tickets for the Toronto Island Concert may now find themselves in a bind, as both shows fall on the same date. NXNE will also feature performances from LA punk band X, De La Soul, Les Savy Fav, Surfer Blood, Japandroids, Thee Oh Sees, Cold Cave, Sloan, Wavves, DD/MM/YYYY, The Icarus Line, The Besnard Lakes, Elliott Brood, Bruce Peninsula, Metz and many more.
Toronto Jazz Festival line-up announced
Toronto Jazz Festival returns from June 25 to July 4 at venues all across the city, featuring performances from The Roots, Herbie Hancock, Mavis Staples, Bettye Lavette, John Scofield, Buck 65, Maceo Parker, Taj Mahal and Angelique Kidjo. Head to the festival website for the full line-up and ticket info.
Gentleman Reg - "Wild Heart"
Arietta - "Old Habits Die Young"
Tokyo Police Club sign to Dine Alone Records
Tokyo Police Club's forthcoming album Champ will see a Canadian release through the band's own Mean Beard Recordings imprint under the Dine Alone Records umbrella. It was previously announced that the US release of the album (June 8) would be handled by Mom + Pop Records. Check out the tracklist over at Exclaim.
Crystal Castles offer details about their sophomore LP
Crystal Castles will release their sophomore album through Fiction Records on June 8 (North America), with the duo of Ethan Kath and Alice Glass again choosing to take the self-titled route when it came to naming the LP. The effort will feature 14 new songs, a few of which ("Doe Deer" and "Celestica") you can stream or download via Some Kind of Awesome.
Lullabye Arkestra aim for fall release for new LP
In an interview with Spinner, Kat Taylor-Small (the female half of Lullabye Arkestra) spoke about some of their recent recording sessions, which they plan to continue building upon through the summer in hopes of completing a follow-up to Threats/Worship for release sometime this fall.
Muneshine - "Gotta Feeling" (feat. D-Sisive & Shad)
Modern Superstitions - "Beck & Call" (Third Floor Session)
- Apostle of Hustle is one of many artists involved in the recently launched PEACE project, which offers exclusive and unreleased song downloads to raise funds for Amnesty International. Apostle of Hustle is one of many musicians to donate a song to PEACE, joining international acts like Mogwai and Bonde Do Role as well as Canadian talent such as Buck 65 and Malajube. Many of the songs can be streamed before you donate & download at the PEACE website.
- The Ghost is Dancing stopped by Ryerson to record a Third Floor Session on March 29, and their set has been split up into a seven track mp3 pack for your downloading pleasure (MP3s in ZIP).
- Saint Alvia recently had their van stolen outside of a house in Hamilton, prompting the announcement of the "Our Van Got Stolen and We Are Totally Fucked Fundraiser" to help them with finding a replacement for their upcoming tour in the southern States. Check out the show details or grab some merch online here.
We Are Busy Bodies presents: Japanther / Doldrums / Quiet Hooves / Rich Aucoin / Boys Who Say No at the Whippersnapper Gallery, March 12 2010
Jason Collett & Zeus - "Love is a Dirty Word" (Q TV)
On blogTO last week
- Tom checked out Old Man Leudecke at the Rivoli on Wednesday and The Junction, Amos the Transparent and The Darcys at Lee's Palace on Saturday night.
- I headed to the Daniel, Fred & Julie concert at the Horseshoe on Thursday night and took some photos and videos of the traditional folk trio.
- Jennifer's weekly Busker profile featured the Snooky Tynes Family Band.
Lead photo: "Toronto Beaches Jazz Festival" by thericyip, member of the blogTO Flickr pool.
Join the conversation Load comments