Toronto Music News: D-Sisive & Buck 65 team up for 100 Story Building, 2010 Indie Music Awards winners, Young Artists for Haiti
In this edition:
Plus videos and/or downloads from Hooded Fang, Laura Barrett, Will Currie & the Country French, D-Sisive, Forest City Lovers, Times Neue Roman and Jason Collett with Bahamas and Zeus.
Southernsouls.ca presents Laura Barrett - 'If What They Say is True'
Holy Fuck announce the release of their new LP via Chatroulette
Young Turks/XL will release Latin on May 11, just in time to put Holy Fuck in the running for the 2010 Polaris Music Prize. Engineered by Graham Walsh, the eagerly-anticipated follow up to 2007's LP boasts production from Dave Newfeld (BSS), Paul Epworth (Bloc Party), Dave Sardy (Oasis) and Eli Janney.
The release announcement came late last week via Chatroulette, a website that pairs internet strangers together for webcam conversation at random. I'm not quite sure if anyone lucked out and/or was patient enough to stumble across Holy Fuck on Chatroulette, but thankfully the band have made the first single from their third LP available for free download in exchange for your email address - check out 'Latin America' here.
Jason Collett, Zeus & Bahamas - 'I'll Bring the Sun' (CMF 2010 at Lee's Palace)
Canadian Music Fest (aka CMW) sold out for the first time ever this year, forcing the organizers to send out a mass email to the media on Saturday evening just before the start of the Indies to inform the public that wristbands and tickets were no longer on sale. Saturday night's big event went down at CMF headquarters in the Royal York Hotel.
Local award winners include Fucked Up (Favourite Punk/Hardcore Group,) D-Sisive (Favourite Urban Artist), Great Lake Swimmers (Favourite Folk Artist/Group), the RAA (Galaxie Rising Stars Award) and Metric (Fantasies - Favourite Album of the Year). Phoenix, The XX, Neko Case and Silversun Pickups were among the international award winners. Check out the full list over at NXEW.
Hooded Fang at the Drake Underground for CMF 2010 (via NXEW.ca)
D-Sisive & Buck 65 team up for 100 Story Building
Under the moniker The Ricardo Christoff Apparatus, two of the country's most eclectic hip hop voices are coming together for an ambitious collaborative project entitled 100 Story Building. For the collection, Buck 65 and D-Sisive are looking for fans to contribute stories about a person that you know to 100storybuilding[at]gmail.com so that the duo can turn them into songs. The fan participation aspect presents a new challenge for the pair, who have previously worked together on a track from D-Sisive's 2009 LP Let the Children Die.
Grab D-Sisive's new track 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn' here.
Will Currie & the Country French - 'John Denver Haircut' (CMF 2010)
Young Artists for Haiti
The supergroup recording of K'Naan's anthem 'Wavin' Flag' has been released under the name Young Artists for Haiti. The single is available for $1.29 on iTunes or through numerous other digital retailers. Proceeds from the song will be split three ways by Free the Children, War Child Canada and World Vision Canada.
NXEW has a full list of the artists involved, which you can check out here. On one hand contributions from members of Stars, BSS, Metric, Bedouin Soundclash and Arkells coupled with help from respected industry mainstays like Jim Creegan, Tom Cochrane and Jim Cuddy makes the track appealing. On the other hand I hope that Avril Lavigne, Justin Bieber, Simple Plan and Theory of a Deadman are drowned out in the choir.
For more information and alternate donation options, check out the Young Artists for Haiti facebook page.
- Peterborough folk rockers The Burning Hell are embarking on a massive Canadian tour in support of This Charmed Life, released on March 6 through (weework). The album can be purchased digitally through Zunior, or on a limited edition 12" vinyl available only at their upcoming Canadian and European shows.
- The always ambitious DD/MM/YYYY will play no fewer than twenty shows in Austin in a five day span following their return from a date in Amsterdam. Once they're back in Toronto, Chart Attack reports that they'll be entering the studio to record songs for a split album with Calgary's Women.
Forest City Lovers - 'If I Were a Tree' (CMF 2010 Live at the Drake)
On blogTO last week:
- Tom got our CMF coverage off to an explosive start with a review of The Bonfire Ball tour, which featured Jason Collett, Bahamas and Zeus in a revue-style performance. On nights two and three, he photographed Winter Gloves, The Russian Futurists, Magneta Lane and Amos the Transparent.
- I spent night two at the Mod Club for sets from Happy Chichester, Break Science and RJD2 before making my way to the Garrison for Cadence Weapon's full-band set at midnight. During night three, I headed to the Music Gallery to shoot Postdata, Julie Fader and Brian Borcherdt at the Hand Drawn Dracula showcase. Night four took me from the Shoe to the Garrison to the Bovine for sets from The Wooden Sky, Moneen and Saint Alvia, respectively.
- Ivy had a busy CMF, offering up photos and reviews from the Coalesce show on Thursday, from her marathon CMW session on Friday as well as the Woods/Real Estate show at the Horseshoe on Sunday night.
- Roger spent night one of CMF taking in the Platinum Blonde reunion show at the Mod Club.
- Jennifer profiled TTC busker Kim Cole.
Lead photo by Matthew McAndrew: Holy Fuck at the Sound Academy - December 5, 2009
Join the conversation Load comments