This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- The Feasting Room is now open at 580 College Street. The 6-month "pop-up" takes over the Orbit Room and will feature 6-course nose-to-tail tasting menus focusing on a different beast each week.
- Casual Italian eatery Prego Restauranti has opened its doors at 753 The Queensway.
- Inspired by his travels, Leor Zimerman (of Czehoski) is slated to open Quinta Restaurant next month at 1282 Dundas West.
- The Real Jerk has found a new home at 625 Queen Street East. Grand re-opening is TBA.
- Ossington Avenue continues to become Toronto's newest culinary destination. Posters and permits indicate that we can soon expect the additions of Mamakas Spanakopita and Feta Bar at 80 Ossington Avenue and OddSeoul at 90 Ossington Avenue.
- Indian brunch favourite Frankly Eatery has closed in Leslieville. A note was posted to their window this week thanking customers for two years of patronage.
- A new gourmet hotdog joint is soon to open at 326 College Street--the sign in the window says Fancy Franks.
Hogtown Smoke, Toronto's very own BBQ food truck, is launching on June 3rd between 12pm-5pm at 99MRKT (99 Sudbury), with smoked fish tacos, pulled pork, and smoked brisket.
- Reel Eats hosts their monthly gastronomic film and story-telling event on Sunday, June 3rd at LA's Italian + Bar (121 Richmond Street West). The event starts at 6:30 pm and features a 4-course meal inspired by the film Sideways. The cost is $75 per person or $100 with wine pairings.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club and Natalie Ryan host Tastes of the Mediterranean on Saturday June 6th at The Depanneur (1033 College Street). Buy a membership online and then BYOB.
- Bartenders across the city will be slinging drinks from 6 pm to 1 am on June 8th and 9th for The Drinks Show at 99 Sudbury Street.
- The Gladstone Culinary Tour of Little India takes place at the Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen Street West) on June 13th from 7 to 11 pm. Executive Chef Michael G. Smith serves up his own spin on Indian cuisine. Tickets are available now for $110.
- St. Lawrence Market Chef Series continues on Thursday, June 7th with a sold out dinner featuring Executive Chef Jason Bangerter of O&B's LUMA Restaurant. If you missed out this time, be sure to snatch up tickets for the next event happening from 6 to 8 pm on Thursday, June 21st featuring Mike Crockford of ORO.
- Tom Brodi has announced his resignation from namesake restaurant TOCA by Tom Brodi at The Ritz-Carlton Hotel.
Beast Restaurant is now selling @doughtoronto donuts out their backdoor on Thursdays.Photo courtesy of The Depanneur
- The Junction Farmers Market is set to become a weekly fixture when it launches this weekend (June 2nd). Located at the Green P lot at 385 Pacific Avenue, the Saturday morning market will take place from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm throughout the summer.
- Sunshine Wholesome Market (942 College Street) celebrates its 5th anniversary from 11 am to 7 pm on Saturday, June 2nd. Drop in for giveaways, samples and an organic BBQ.