Monday, November 24, 2014Light Rain 9°C
Theatre

Play about Rob Ford to debut at Edinburgh Fringe Fest

Posted by Aubrey Jax / February 12, 2014

Rob Ford PlayA play about Rob Ford is set to debut this summer at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the largest arts festival in the world. This is totally unrelated to the fresh ink on that movie deal announced in Toronto on Monday, but it's not altogether that surprising that our mayor would serve as inspiration for the dramatic arts. Toronto-born, UK-based playwright Jason Hall's 21 Things You Should Know About Toronto's Crack-Smoking Mayor is based on the New York Magazine article of the same title.

The good news is the play won't shy away from the dark side of the story. Hall states on his Kickstarter page: "the idea grew out of my unease with the way the entire Ford story was being played for laughs in the international press. Instead, the events of 2013 give me the chance to lift the lid on some uncomfortable truths about Toronto, from deep ideological divisions among its citizens to the violent collision of gangs, guns and drugs in the parts of the city the tourists never see."

The play will star a woman named Kerry who on NYE 2013 has "one drink too many" and gets to speak her piece on Toronto's wayward Mayor in a "one-woman comedy about the one-man tragedy of Toronto politics." You can learn more about the play, and donate to support its production, here on Hall's Kickstarter page or on, ahem, crackmayorplay.com. While Scotland is a long trek for Toronto theatre goers, a successful run in Edinburgh could mean the play comes to TO.

The 2014 Edinburgh Fringe will run from August 1 - 25th.

Don / February 12, 2014 at 11:56 am
Another reason why Rob Ford's name keeps on keeping on around the world. Toronto-born, UK-based playwright Jason Hall thought this was a good idea? So he's taking the story there to make sure when you think of Toronto, think for FORD.

FORD MORE YEARS!!!
Dr. Kukko / February 12, 2014 at 01:09 pm
Four more drunken stupors! Four more hits of oxy! Subvert!Subvert!Subvert!
Rob Ford / February 12, 2014 at 01:11 pm
I'm honest about lying! Vote for me, Honest Liar!
Rob Ford / February 12, 2014 at 01:13 pm
Vote Hate! I hate, you hate, Vote for Mr. Hate! Just Be Honest & Vote Hate!
tanade home / February 12, 2014 at 04:42 pm
Hurrah! After all I got a blog from where I can genuinely get helpful information
concerning my study and knowledge.
DEQ / February 12, 2014 at 05:04 pm
Don't worry - there are hundreds of thousands of shows at the Festival - no one will notice another shite production.
ScottsFSD / February 12, 2014 at 05:17 pm
Too bad he couldn't come up with an original play idea to showcase his skills instead of rehashing this nonsense for the Festival.
www.wantedsoft.tk / February 12, 2014 at 08:04 pm
Hello! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my
old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
Resign R-b F--d!! / February 12, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Resign! Take drugs & resign, you pig!
Moshe / February 12, 2014 at 11:29 pm
Many of my free baits were well over 25 millimetres in size and none were made to be round but rather
all were odd shaped and were in fact not prepared by rolling at all.
Years ago it would have been simple enough for a beginner to put on
a piece of bread paste, or dig up a worm and use that.
Stir constantly to toast all sides and prevent burning.
I'm R-b Fucking F--d!! / February 13, 2014 at 02:03 am
Hey Moshe! Gie Kucken Offen Yom!
I'm R-b Fucking F--d!! / February 16, 2014 at 12:00 pm
I support drug sales to children, importing guns from the states, gangs, gun play on the streets and shooting people @ picnics/malls by spending money with the Dixon Bloods and prostitutes. But that's my private life, so don't bug me. Lying is my way of life; so is not following conflict of interest law, campaign financing laws, confidentiality laws, etc. Laws/shmaws! I'm King Rob! I'm a bully who rules by divine law! I swear on Sandro's beautiful buttocks that I'm telling the truth! Four more years of HATE!