Tuesday, September 2, 2014Light Rain Shower 24°C
Tech

Get to know a Toronto startup: Hurrier

Posted by Tom Emrich / July 19, 2013

HurrierA new startup here in Toronto wants to make your life a little easier by offering a delivery service which will pickup and even purchase any item anywhere in the city and bring them right to your door.

Hurrier is a one-hour online delivery service which uses eco-friendly bike couriers to grab items anywhere in the downtown core - anywhere from Pape to Jane and Eglinton to Lake Ontario. Using Hurrier is pretty simple. You hop online, list the items you want purchased or picked up, give Hurrier your pickup and drop-off details and you are good to go.

Right now Hurrier is only open weekdays from 10-4PM which is great for things like lunches. They will soon be opening up their hours to weekends which they know will help them get even more traction.

I had a chance to sit down and talk with founder Adam Hasham on how his company is set to change inner city delivery.

What was the inspiration behind Hurrier?

Local shops have some of the best the city has to offer but yet a lot of people either don't know about some of these hidden gems or aren't nearby so they end up buying more out of convenience. I wanted to create a company that would remove this obstacle by connecting people with the best their city has to offer them.

Who is the target audience for Hurrier?

We target three main groups. The first is the busy mom at home with her kids that may need something for dinner or have an urgent need for diapers but can't leave the house. The second are professionals whose busy lives at work make it challenging for them to pick things up. The third group is the everyday urban dweller who may find themselves at the park and want the picnic brought to them or are hosting a BBQ and forgot to get the burgers.

What are the most common orders you have seen so far?

We launched just over two weeks ago and are finding that most of the people are using Hurrier for food or flower deliveries. Burger's Priest, Banh Mi Boys and St. Lawrence market's Di Liso's Fine Meats are pretty popular right now.

There are many delivery services in Toronto, what sets yours apart?

Ease of use is the biggest differentiator. The fact that the entire process is online and can be completed within minutes makes it fast, simple and reliable. Plus, Hurrier couriers anything to your destination and can even facilitate the purchase on your behalf.

Other companies like dot-com bust Kozmo.com have tried this model and failed based on a flawed business model. What makes Hurrier different?

We charge for delivery based on dynamic pricing which takes in account time and distance to make sure that we are charging a fair price. In addition there is a 5% surcharge to every order.

How important are the partnerships you are forming with merchants?

Very. Merchant partnerships allow us to integrate with them to make it easy and quicker for pickups. Our featured partners are those that we can call ahead and make sure that the order is ready to grab when we get there.

We have some great partnership started with Di Liso's in St. Lawrence market and the Shoppers Drug Mart at King and Yonge and are in talks with others around the city like Banh Mi Boys.

What's on the Roadmap for Hurrier?

We definitely plan to launch an Android and iPhone app once we have gained more traction with the website. But in the meantime we are focused on expanding our team, growing our fleet and working on gaining new partners to feature. We are also in talks to expand Hurrier outside of Toronto into Mississauga, Vancouver and Montreal.

Hurrier is giving all blogTO readers $5.00 off their first delivery. Use the code "BLOGTO" and shoot us a comment on what you thought of the delivery service.

Dvdguy / July 19, 2013 at 09:42 am
"Hours: Monday to Friday / 10am - 4pm" Yeah ... ok.
M / July 19, 2013 at 01:12 pm
oh, a $50 hamburger and fries! Sorry, but this is really a dumb business idea. Besides, most places already have FREE delivery if you're that hungry (and lazy) i.e. PizzaPizza
Neil / July 19, 2013 at 01:40 pm
Not sure how "M"'s math works, but it's not a "$50 hamburger and fries". I just did a test order and delivery from the Burger's Priest at Queen & Spadina to another downtown location was $6.15. If they order on your behalf they add 5% to the cost of the order.
A / July 19, 2013 at 01:55 pm
GREAT IDEA! Most people just don't have the time to run around during the day - I know I don't. I'm glued to my desk and the idea of trekking around in the heat to pick up something across town is the last thing on my mind. This service is the perfect time saver. Additionally, if you're ordering from places like "pizzapizza" then this service (and BlogTO) isn't for you - pizzapizza's delivery service matches their food quality (Poor and poorer). I'd rather pay a small cost for real food that will may arrive in half the time. Good job Hurrier, keep up the good work!
Adam Hasham replying to a comment from M / July 19, 2013 at 01:56 pm
Hi M.

I'm not sure why you would be charged $50 for a hamburger and fries. The delivery cost is based on distance so the further the burger joint, the greater the cost. However, most deliveries are under $10 and the service enables you to get a burger and fries from any joint in the city, not just Burger Priest.
Starry / July 19, 2013 at 02:56 pm
Only till 4pm??? Well, that makes it useless for me.
MrsPotato / July 19, 2013 at 02:57 pm
But you'll delivery anything? I saw Shoppers on your webiste .. so basically you're a general delivery/concierge service?

Too bad your hours are when I'm not lazy and have the energy to make the run myself.
Krissy / July 19, 2013 at 03:26 pm
So this looked interesting, I just ordered lunch off a local delivery site and their price was $3.50 for a $50 order. I put in the same place to compare and it came up with an $11.55 delivery fee (not including the 5% surcharge). No thanks.
Brenda replying to a comment from Neil / July 19, 2013 at 03:32 pm
So they are making $6.15 ...what are they left with after paying the courier? Not much profit for all the effort to get someone a burger. Rethink your business model.
Simon Tarses / July 19, 2013 at 03:32 pm
So, a glorified courier company. Big whoop!
Adam Hasham replying to a comment from Starry / July 19, 2013 at 04:25 pm
Starry,

I understand where you're coming from. We're only operating 10am-4pm, m-f, to test the market and refine our service. We expect that most of our business will occur after work and on weekends and will appropriately expand our hours very soon.

Why don't you send me a private email (adam@usehurrier.com) and I'll give you a free delivery to try the service out?

Adam
Adam Hasham replying to a comment from MrsPotato / July 19, 2013 at 04:26 pm
MrsPotato,

Adam
Yo / July 19, 2013 at 04:47 pm
Inevitable that the original delivery service POSTMATES would be copied. Only difference is this TO based on 1. costs more 2. has incredibly shitty hours 3. is not an original idea
Nar / July 20, 2013 at 01:27 am
What a genius idea! Was in a bind the other day and had to send over cupcakes for my daughters birthday, thankfully i had just heard about Hurrier, and lo and behold they came to my rescue. Love the name too, so catchy. Great, friendly and polite customer service too!
keep up the amazing work, can't wait to use Hurrier again! :)
SB / July 20, 2013 at 03:39 pm
amazing idea, this will do well!!
S / July 20, 2013 at 05:55 pm
I can't wait to use this service! My next midday coffee will definitely be delivered by Hurrier.
Lazy L / July 22, 2013 at 03:55 pm
Just tried the "purchase item on your behalf service" for two vintage bottles at the LCBO. I was a bit nervous as I wasn't sure how easy it would be for the hurrier to find the right bottles in the large vintage section at Copper St and was wondering about the invoicing process. Well, I shouldn't have worried. I got an email confirmation right away that a Hurrier (with his name) had accepted the job. 16 min later, I received another email stating that they had purchased the items. 26 min after ordering, the Hurrier was at my door. Impressed! The receipt was in the bag, $49.90. Then I received an email with a scan of the same LCBO receipt and the actual charge on my card $52.40 with the 5% purchasing fee + the delivery of $6.36. Pretty transparent process and convenient when I have friends dropping by and nothing to drink at home or when I don't want to bother stopping at the LCBO on my way to a party. Wondering how big of an item (size and cost) they can purchase on your behalf. I guess they would just email you if they don't accept your order?
Adam Hasham / July 23, 2013 at 10:20 am
Due to popular demand, hours are extended to 10pm!! (this week only)
Courier Sandy / July 25, 2013 at 08:24 am
Adam do you use your own in-house team, contract to existing couriers, or a hybrid model? Are you hiring?
Adam Hasham replying to a comment from Courier Sandy / July 30, 2013 at 11:55 am
Hi Sandy,
We use a hybrid model. Please contact me at adam@usehurrier.com.
Sam / July 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm
Just used this service today and I was thoroughly impressed! Delivery was prompt and friendly. To those whining about unoriginality, couriers have been around since the dawn of time. The difference with Hurrier is that they make the process simple and transparent with an incredibly designed website and interface.
Luxury Concierge London / July 31, 2013 at 11:08 pm
This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
..HaHa!) Excellent job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that,
how you presented it. Too cool!
EJ replying to a comment from Dvdguy / September 20, 2013 at 03:24 pm
Hey there,
I think under "featured shops" you should add an "OTHER" category that brings up the pick-up form. And maybe an overview.... can you guys do grocery shopping at Longos for example? It says pick-up and list items... so should one add their entire grocery list?

Is it even possible for a biker to bike with like say, 4 cases of pop (which I definitely DID order from GroceryGateway.com)
Jesse / October 17, 2013 at 03:33 pm
I don't really get how this works. A lot of fast food places take a long time to prepare food. Does the courier just stand around for 20-30 minutes while the food is made?
Pete / October 17, 2013 at 04:26 pm
I used this about 2 weeks ago. I loved it! It was fast and on time. The best part about it was that I didn't have to wait in line at Burger's Priest for 30 minutes. It was definitely handy since I had an extremely busy work day. I'd suggest using it for larger orders for 2-4 people. The delivery cost is fair but it doesn't hurt to split it with a friend.
Stanley replying to a comment from Jesse / May 12, 2014 at 05:44 pm
From what I understand it's all sent electronically to the restaurant. Then when the guy arrives he either picks it up or has a much shorter wait than usual
Chris / June 4, 2014 at 09:34 pm
I'm loving this service. You are targeting the right audience. I'm a busy mom who sometimes just doesn't have the time to make the run myself. I used to use a taxi service to deliver certain foods that hubbie really craved for, but I had a really bad experience where the cab driver stole sole some and then tried to overcharge me. Since then I've been iusimg hurrier. This service allows me to get more than just pizza delivered right to my door. They also have great customer service, I've used this service about 5-6 times without a problem. I just wish they had a phone # to call or a chat system on their website to get immediate questions answered.