Sunday, October 23, 2016Overcast 14°C
Sports & Play

The top 7 room escape games in Toronto

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 8, 2014

escape games torontoEscape games in Toronto bring a massive gaming trend from Asia to our home turf. The real-world games imprison participants in a room with friends (or strangers); you're then forced to hunt for clues around the game environment, using logic and teamwork to free yourselves in a race against the clock (games tend to last under an hour).

That model lends itself to a range of settings - from murder mysteries and jewel heists to horror-movie scenarios and post-apocalyptic worlds - but, thankfully, some of them are a little less dour. Thanks to the sudden influx of escape games in the city, you've got your choice of which alternate universe to get lost in. (Claustrophobes, proceed with caution.)

Here are my picks for the top 7 room escape games in Toronto.

Real Escape Game T.O.
Located in the Foundery building on Bathurst, Real Escape Game is a single-scenario race against time that's been played around the world, from Japan to China to the U.S. The game was one of the first to arrive on the scene in Toronto, and though other game rooms have since arrived that offer more rooms with different scenarios, our reviewer says it kept her on the edge of her seat for the entire hour. Tickets must be bought in advance and come to roughly $30 with tax.

Escape Games
Located just a stone's throw away from Downsview Station, Escape Games bills itself as the largest escape facility in North America, at 10,000 square feet. It may also be one of the most intense, with a heavy focus on realistic props and settings. Their range of escape-game scenarios includes a prison escape, a diamond theft, and a Mayan ruin exploration; more are on the way, including a haunted house in Japan and a post-apocalyptic hospital. Admission will run you $16.95 to $22, depending on the date and time; note that they ask you to either come in groups of two or four depending on the time.

De Code Adventures
Brain-teaser lovers, take note: this Mississauga escape gaming outfit rate their games not only by difficulty, but what kind of reasoning skills you're called upon to use for each puzzle; additionally, you can also influence difficulty levels by requesting hints. (If your neurons are still all fired up after your challenge ends, they also host a board game cafe!) The standard admission is $29.99 per person.

Across from the Pacific Mall, this complex of escape rooms skips the Saw-style horror and creepitude of other escape rooms for a few whimsical 45-minute challenges: there's a version where you escape from an after-school detention hall, a poker-themed level, and - be still, my nerdy heart - a Super Mario room. Pricing per person is $20 Monday to Thursday and $25 Friday to Saturday.

Mystery Room
Mystery Room is just a five-minute walk away from Escape Games - escape-room fans, looks like Downsview Station is your new ground zero. Mystery Room's games are ordered by level of difficulty, so newbies and old hands alike will have the opportunity to get the pants scared off of them: Options include a prison scenario, a haunted hospital, and something called "Satan's Lair". They're open past midnight week-round, which can only increase the creep factor. Bring a group - rates hinge on how many people you bring, from $46 for two ($23 each) to $136 for eight ($17 each).

AT Escape
Yonge and Sheppard's AT Escape is one of the cheapest escape room experience on the list, at $18 plus tax per person, but don't think that automatically translates into a loss of quality. They offer five rooms, including a library lock-up, a sealed toy room (curse those meddling kids), a bunker, a jailbreak scenario, and a bio-lab plagued by out-of-control micro-organisms, with one more - a hall of mirrors - on the way.

Great Escape
North York's Great Escape features a couple of the creepier scenarios on this list, including escaping from a cannibalistic tribe and breaking out of a serial killer's garage (though it's entirely possible they just tip their hand a little more on the spoilers than some of these other escape rooms). There's also a race against time to diffuse a bomb, as well as a labyrinth level that only 3% of people have successfully completed. They certainly beat the competition price-wise; admission is $15 per person.

Photo by ben_a via the blogTO Flickr pool.

Bob bobertson / August 8, 2014 at 11:04 am
I think Mystery room has fake reviews. I was on the Facebook page and saw some negative reviews, but everything was really positive. But the positive reviews are from people not even on the country, and all of them like and vote for the same things, despite being from different countries. Pretty suspect.
Chris / August 8, 2014 at 11:12 am
I can't compare to other rooms but I did "Real Escape Game" on the long weekend and it was definitely worth the money.
Darryl / August 8, 2014 at 01:14 pm
While I haven't had a chance to do an escape room in Toronto yet I did visit one in Niagara on the weekend (surprisingly they own and had a blast. Family and I didn't manage to get out but still enjoyed the experience.

Looking forward to trying some of the local ones. Such a great concept.
mark / August 8, 2014 at 02:09 pm
There is also a room escape place in scarborough called Mission45 room escape, there has been lots of players played at this location already, and they just opened two new themes with some high tech stuffs.
Mike / August 8, 2014 at 02:45 pm
I went to Locked In and tried the Classroom (easiest difficulty). "Easy" is relative and it was still difficult and required some brain power. We escaped in 44 mins! Will be going back to try their other rooms soon. Also very interested in trying other places to see how they compare.
Di / August 8, 2014 at 02:50 pm
We went to AT Escape few weeks ago. Failed to break out the jail room :( The room is so realistic and I love how I have to constantly work on my brain. Will go back to try the Biolab room soon.
EscapistTO / August 8, 2014 at 04:21 pm
I keep an updated list here:
Sam / August 8, 2014 at 06:15 pm
Hi, I'm one of the owners of Prison Breaker located at Kennedy/Steeles. It's a shame we didn't make this list =(. But....I hereby cordially invite you, Natalie to come and try the experience at our location. I trust you will not be disappointed!

I hope you'll get the chance to sample most, if not all, of the available room escapes games in the GTA. I've been to a few myself and even as an owner of one, I'd say that we each have our own unique ways to provide the most entertainment to our customers so it's a difference experience wherever you go.

Hope we get to see you soon!

Shawn / August 8, 2014 at 11:00 pm
Thanks for featuring some of the room-escape places. We really put our hart and soul into our facility and it is a dream for us to see it become a reality. We really wanted to bring the best from what we saw from Europe and Asia to Toronto while making more than just escapes. We have some cool ideas in the pipeline and can't wait to showcase our newest technologies and ideas. Natalia, give us a call and we'll set something up for you and your friends so you can give us a shot this way no one can say you aren't informed =)

The Entire Team at Escape Games Canada
Tommy / August 12, 2014 at 09:44 pm
How about Prison Breaker? Opened longer than locked in and it's right beside Pacific mall. Go check it out. This list is whacked...people paying to get on this list for advertisement? Some of these people must be desperate.
Jon / August 17, 2014 at 12:12 am
If you want a more indepth look at escape games, check this out
EscaperExperience / September 12, 2014 at 04:21 pm
Hey guys, i started a blog about my experience with my wife. Please Visit

Hopefully this will help you !
Jason / September 29, 2014 at 02:53 pm
Anyone been to Breakout @ 388 Spadina Ave 2nd Fl?
Crystal / October 2, 2014 at 03:58 pm
I am obsessed with this kind of game. I am so surprised that BreakOut Team Adventures around Scarborough Town Centre is not on here. I played on the day they opened with a group of 7 people and it was mind blowing! I mean they seriously think outside of the box, so different than other kind of escape games. It was creepy but I loved it!
if you guys wanna check them out:
Cassie / October 23, 2014 at 12:21 pm
Exit Strategy is a new escape the room challenge that has just opened in Burlington! Book online
Jeff / November 5, 2014 at 06:27 pm
There's this new one called Trapped in Markham area that's really big and nicely designed (really nice renovation in rooms). I'm a huge fan of escape games since 2 years ago back in Vancouver. I highly recommend this one to everybody who is looking for a legit one to participate.
Jon / November 13, 2014 at 01:42 am
Seems like this post is still going on.

For a detailed review of many locations in Toronto:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Hope you all enjoy it. We took the time and effort to really make sure this will help you all make a decision on which location best suits your interests.

Derek / December 1, 2014 at 05:20 pm
Hello to all escape game lovers, great article.

Derek here from iEscaped! =)

Just wanted to let everyone know that iEscaped has been opened for business since Oct 24, 2014. Come check us out and have some fun.

We're located at:
5927 Yonge St Suite 205
Toronto, ON M2M 3V7
At the North East Corner of Yonge and Cummer and we have parking at rear on top of close to the finch subway station!

Also check out some of the reviews and info some reviewers had for us:

Hope to see you folks from blogto! =)

Diane / December 4, 2014 at 02:56 pm
I am a big fan of room escape games! I live in Scarborough and only tried three places so far. They are all around scarborough town centre!
1. NextRelic, (the doll room, forgot the name) well designed room and it was so creepy! They only have one theme, but it was in a pretty large area. I recommend it for a larger group of people. It was just kind of cold in there.
2. BreakOut Team Adventures, (WWII theme, forgot the name) it had a really nice theme and sound effects, and by sound effects, I mean real sound effects. I had a blast! It is a multi-room theme as well like nextrelic. There were barely no treasure hunt at all. And the ending was awesome and soooo unexpected!
3. Triango, I'm Chinese so I tried their dragon room. I think it has more fancy name haha but i forgot. I really like their game design, feel like I would never see something like that ever. But the downside of high tech is that it doesn't work all the time.... We experienced that! The game master came in and helped us a lot too. His english and mandarin were not good... maybe they accept more cantonese customers?

Anyways! Hope people can learn from my experience!
Heather / January 5, 2015 at 09:31 am
I wanted to let everyone reading this know about a new escape room experience in Toronto called LockQuest. I did it last night and it was amazing, although I've never done anything like it before so nothing to compare it too... but I'm sure you'll all be happy to know of another puzzle to solve in the city :)
Karen / January 5, 2015 at 11:16 pm
At the time of posting, I've been to six escape room games and want to give you an insight into the ones that I've played so far. I'm still on the hunt for more escape rooms, so visit my blog again for more reviews.

Thanks for reading:
Robin / January 6, 2015 at 02:37 pm
One of the best ones is Escape the book club killer by LockQuest. They are near Summerhill station. The guys who run it are fantastic and all the puzzles are well thought out and unique. I can't wait to see what their next game scenario will be. Hard enough to be interesting but not frustrating. Everyone had a great time. I highly recommend. The two people we didn't know turned out to be our greatest asset so even if you are a small number don't feel intimidated joining others.
Tim replying to a comment from Locked-in Room Escape / January 9, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Promoting in the comment section? Desperate much? O and Locked-In, don't bother going, not worth it. Go to Escape Games at Downsville. Much better.
Jonathan / January 15, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Check out this website! It's been posted before but definitely helped me find some great room escapes within the GTA!
Escape Reviewer replying to a comment from Jonathan / January 25, 2015 at 08:12 pm
Hey Jonathan!

Thanks for finding our website useful and sharing it with everyone!
We try to update it as often as possible! If you ever have any questions for us don't hesitate to email me at!

Marina / February 17, 2015 at 12:55 am
Captive Escape Rooms just had their grand opening Fri the 13th. They are located at Elm and Bay and are one of the most realistic escape rooms out there. Check out their murder mystery room Charlotte, or spend some time investigating Dracula's Library. You will have a blast!
Daniel / March 3, 2015 at 09:12 pm
Live Escape is also a sick place, we did the Nursery Nightmares with a group of friends and it was the best room we tried in Toronto.
Marco / July 29, 2015 at 07:00 pm
Mystery room was a terrible place to go. It honestly looks like they raided dollarama at closing time on Halloween night and had people who have no understanding of escape games create and setup the clues. When a party of 10 and I went, certain puzzles were set up incorrectly (doors left unlocked when they were supposed to be locked, clues missing, etc) and in the end, all we got was "oh, yeah that wasn't supposed to be like that." No sorry. No attempt to fix things. Then they had the balls to give us two free passes to come back. Not even enough for the whole party! First of all, we wouldn't go back there if it was the only escape room in the city (which it isnt) Don't trust the reviews, avoid this place as much as you can and look elsewhere. Mystery room, if you're reading this, your fake reviews on yelp aren't working anymore. Get your act together.