Saturday, November 1, 2014Light Snow 1°C
Sports & Play

The top 8 fitness bootcamps for women in Toronto

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / July 20, 2014

fitness bootcamp torontoThe top fitness bootcamps for women in Toronto meld some serious conditioning with a female-friendly atmosphere. Though there's not much of a military influence in modern-day fitness boot camps (unless you count, say, the O Course's fatigue-wearing drill instructor), the fitness industry's hung on to the term to describe anything that jams tons of all-over training into a brief time frame, with a focus on quick results (and an added bonus of camaraderie and team-building with your fellow bootcampers).

Toronto has tons of great co-ed bootcamp options, but women-only fitness programs take up a solid slice of the fitness landscape. If you're hoping to work out with other like-minded ladies, there's a range of bootcamps out there that will teach you some new kickboxing or yoga movies, boost your endurance, build muscle, and transform you into a lean, mean fightin' machine. And don't be put off by all the hot-pink branding and swirly fonts - these camps mean serious business.

Here are my picks for top fitness bootcamps for women in Toronto.

Build My Body Beautiful
Good things come in threes at Build My Body Beautiful. At their trio of downtown locations, they offer three boot camps: a fat loss-oriented "Build & Burn" program based on cardio and resistance training, a high-cardio kickboxing boot camp, and a "Fit & Firm" class created to tone the body through cardio, plymetrics and weight training. If you're not sure which is for you, they'll let you take a trial class for free. Instructors will keep you guessing week in and week out, and participants report a friendly, social vibe.

Buns of Steel Boot Camp
Based out of the Riverdale Presbyterian Church on the Danforth, this boot camp holds six weekly one-hour classes, ranging from the "COR-DIO" (core/cardio) workout to boxing-inspired courses and circuit training. This is a good one if you're looking for a social group (and a little accountability) - participants say they'll hold potlucks and events, and frequently encourage one another to go to class on days when they're tempted to slack. (Aww.)

Fit Chicks
The Fit Chicks hold a series of four, eight and 12-week programs in seven locations around Toronto. The classes, have a fun, supportive and friendly vibe - but the workouts are no walk in the park. High-intensity interval workouts are the norm here, mixing short bursts of cardio and strength. The scaleable nature of the workouts mean they're suitable for both pros and beginners - basically, you'll get out whatever you put in.

Sandra Jean Fitness
Trainer Sandra Jean has found a cult audience for her women-only Girlz Gone Fit program, which holds four- and eight-week sessions in North York. The workouts run the gamut from core strengthening to agility drills and high-intensity interval training. (There's also yoga camp and "lift camp", which focuses on resistance training using free weights.)

Go Girl Boot Camp
Personal trainer Dan Go (get it?) whips women into shape with a series of boot camps around the GTA. Go Girl's programs place a heavy emphasis on fat loss, with exercises designed to boost metabolism (as the weirdly spammy website explains), though fans say toning benefits become apparent quickly. The camps run for one month at a time, and you can take part in up to six classes a week.

Fly Girl Fitness
Fly Girl, which currently has two locations on the east side (near Coxwell and Woodbine stations), offers two-class or three-class per week options, depending on your schedule and goals. The classes feature a mix of activities to keep your body guessing, but their health-focused, holistic gym is focused far more on overall health and personal betterment than turning you into a killing machine.

Flirty Girl Fitness
Yes, they also offer "Coyote Ugly" weekend workshops. But King West's Flirty Girl also does some hardcore training in the form of their Bikini Bootcamp classes. Weight and cardio circuits promote all-over toning and weight loss - look for them to bring in weights, resistance bands and balls to keep the workouts fresh.

FitSanity
This women-only gym on Church St. offers all kinds of courses, from kettlebell to TRX; their recurring bootcamp classes will throw a variety of obstacles and drills your way for that basic-training-style experience. (If you're looking to whip yourself into shape in a short timeframe, they also offer an eight-week bridal bootcamp program.

Did O miss any? Leave your favourite bootcamp program geared toward women in the comments.

Photo via the Build by Body Beautiful Facebook page

Thumbs up / July 20, 2014 at 10:09 am
Thank you babes for looking so good in your lululemon get ups.

Nothing hotter.
Steph / July 20, 2014 at 02:22 pm
Hourglass Workout is missing from the list. Definitely one to check out!
Carley / July 20, 2014 at 03:13 pm
You missed Dduka! I've tried 4 of your bootcamps listed above and Dduka blows them all away! Way more affordable, safe, fun, hilarious and I saw results!
BuildBiggerTits / July 20, 2014 at 05:05 pm
BBT is the best, followed by MindTheGap (you know, at the top of the thighs, between your legs), and then BBF (ButtBongoFiesta). The last class of BBF involves a dime and a bongo festival...so to speak.
Tamara / July 20, 2014 at 06:27 pm
Skinny legs is by far the best class I have ever done with the best results.
Jason / July 21, 2014 at 09:58 am
Body-Blitz from Strength N U in Scarborough is sorely missed on this list.
Buns of Steel Bootcamp / July 21, 2014 at 10:49 am
Thanks for including us in this list, As a small community based fitness program we were pretty excited to see we made the list! As the article mentions we do focus a lot on the social and support aspects of a being part of a group. Any blogTO readers interested in coming out and trying a class you are more then welcome! Any one of any age/fitness level/shape and size will fit in with our little group :) www.bunsofsteelbootcamp.com
Jay Quarmby 6478891152
Roxann / July 21, 2014 at 10:55 am
Briar Munroe at fly girl fitness is an amazing personal trainer and boot camp guru - the perfect mix of drill sargent and cheerleader! The new location is fabulous and convenient and the other bootcampers are fun and encouraging. She's also added pilates and yoga classes too!
Taslim / July 21, 2014 at 01:13 pm
Quiktrain by Derick Samuel is by far the best bootcamp/training program I have participated in. Derick is an incredible trainer who focuses on motivating his clients to achieve goals they never thought possible. His bootcamp promotes team work, empowering each other and most of all strength!
Krys / July 21, 2014 at 01:39 pm
Thanks for the list.

Also Yendi Phillipps (In The Dance Fitness) is teaching 2 reggae dance classes for caribana end of the month. I went to the last one when she was in town from Jamaica. Amazing results and so much fun. http://www.inthedancefitness.com
Tammy replying to a comment from Krys / July 21, 2014 at 01:49 pm
I've done this class, back in January. She is incredible. I got my sweat on but she definitely had me smiling from start to finish. Love learning all the traditional island dance moves from Yendi. I recommend this. I'll be going to her class at the end of the month!
Al / July 21, 2014 at 01:57 pm
Loved Flirty Girl fitness when I went with a friend last summer!

I have been on this amazing new workout called 'In the Dance Fitness Jamaica' from Yendi Phillipps! if you haven't tried it out yet - you need to. I was nervous at first ( i have horrible rhythm) but i have so much fun each time i workout with this dvd- I am hooked!

Coolest part? Yendi Phillipps herself is going to be doing an exclusive set of fitness classes at the end of the month! I just bought tickets with a few of my girlfriends and I can't wait to feel the energy I know she will bring!!

Al replying to a comment from Krys / July 21, 2014 at 02:00 pm
So excited!! i just bought tickets with my girlfriend - it's on the 30th and 31st right?
What are the times again?
sheena / July 21, 2014 at 07:00 pm
im really proud that Go Girl Bootcamp is part of this list. As a client, I am very happy with my transformation results and the environment that Go Girl has set for all the ladies. We all life each other up and always push ourselves to do our best and it shows in our results! Congrats Dan and the trainers, you guys deserve it!!!
Jenine / July 21, 2014 at 10:22 pm
So great to see Go Girl on this list! I have tried a ton of gyms and bootcamps before, but since joining a challenge at the Go Girls Transformation Centre in Markham last fall I haven't looked back. Kick ass workout with incredible coaches, nutrition training and most supportive group of women that keep you focused in the gym and out. The formula can't be beat.
Trainers On Site / July 22, 2014 at 08:20 am
Have heard great things about most of these places. Bootcamps are a great option for people who like the team atmosphere and the accountability that comes with it. Just need to make sure the classes are not too large so that the client to trainer ratio stays around 5-1. Good post!
Go Girl Boot Camps / July 22, 2014 at 09:08 am
Very honoured and grateful to Blogto.com for listing us as one of the top women's fitness boot camps. Big shout out goes to our team of trainers and our amazing GG ambassador's for making our humble gym an awesome place to workout.

Again, thank you Blogto.com and kudos to the rest of the boot camps listed here. You're all doing amazing things in women's fitness. Keep killin it!

Dan Go
Sexiness Dictator at www.gogirlbootcamps.com

Ps. If you're in the Markham area and looking to transform your body in a no judgement environment then grab a free training session on us. Give me a call here and we'll get you started => 647-933-6758
Ashley / July 22, 2014 at 09:20 am
Congrats Go Girl! As a member could not be more proud to see this gym on the list. The community at GG is incredibly inspirational and the results speak for themselves. Thank you to Dan, Rosie and the GGs! Mad love!
Kavita / July 22, 2014 at 09:57 am
Ever since I joined Go Girls Bootcamp my entire life has changed. I have to thank Dan and all the trainers at GG for helping me through this journey. I tried several other bootcamps before discovering Go Girls. I love the support and love that we receive from everyone at GG!!
Yvonne Li / July 22, 2014 at 10:12 am
Yay to Go Girl Bootcamp. My experience with this community is like no other. I've joined many gyms and classes but this is not just a gym, it's a group of women supporting and motivating each other on a daily basis. I'm so proud to be a Go Girl.
Benia / July 22, 2014 at 10:20 am
I feel like I have finally found a place where I feel comfortable working out. The atmosphere and trainers at Go Girl are fantastic. Thanks to the staff and the amazing workouts I have lost over 30 pounds,inches and am feeling toned and more comfortable in my own skin. Before Go Girl I wouldn't even pose for pictures because I was so unhappy with my self-image. Now I am taking selfies! Go Girl is exactly what I needed to make a positive change in my life!
Tamara P / July 22, 2014 at 10:26 am
The most amazing bootcamp. I have to others and they don't compare. Great trainers, great members. So much fun.
Marisa Montesano-Lombardi / July 22, 2014 at 10:58 am
I am so proud to be part of this group. The support from Dan, the owner, the trainers and members is unbelievable. The work outs are intense with some major results attained. Congratulations Dan and staff take a bow you deserve all the praise. You need to experience it in order to believe it. Their dedication to the members, their constant support and guidance and their capability of planning work outs after work outs on a daily basis to keep us, the members, motivated, interested and happy is unlike any other that I’ve ever experienced at any other gym.
Ananda / July 22, 2014 at 11:31 am
Go Girl Boot Camp is truly amazing... it should be listed at #1! This is a place where working out is fun and the results are amazing. The trainers are super motivational and inspiring. The atmosphere is very welcoming, supportive and electric. I love it and I'm positive anyone who tries it out will be hooked :)
Marisa Montesano-Lombardi / July 22, 2014 at 12:00 pm
I am so proud to be part of Go Girl Bootcamp. The support from Dan, the owner, the trainers and members is unbelievable. The work outs are intense with some major results attained. Congratulations Dan and staff take a bow you deserve all the praise. You need to experience it in order to believe it. Their dedication to the members, their constant support and guidance and their capability of planning work outs after work outs on a daily basis to keep us, the members, motivated, interested and happy is unlike any other that I’ve ever experienced at any other gym.
Debora Do Couto / July 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm
No surprise that GG has made this list. Feels so amazing to be part of an empowering and supportive family of women. Coach Rosie is truly passionate, inspiring and motivational. Dan's fat fearless program and form factor are second to none. I am constantly transforming and so blessed to be part of this special family.
Nikki Norton Amaral / July 22, 2014 at 01:04 pm
Go Girl Bootcamps has literally changed my life ! I've lost 50 pounds there in the last 5 months and could not have done it without Go Girl! Best trainers and Best girls ! Love it! So proud we are on the list !
AY replying to a comment from Go Girl Boot Camps / July 22, 2014 at 06:26 pm
GO GIRL BOOTCAMP !!!! Not only changed my body , my energy level and strength. I've tried everything and never had such fast results in such a short period. They also have the best community of girls that support you when you need it most! Thanks Dan, Rosie!
Mae / July 22, 2014 at 09:11 pm
Go Girl Bootcamp is the best place to totally transform your body and mind! No surprise it made the list. It's such an awesome community of remarkable women coached by incredibly dedicated trainers including our Sexiness Dictator Dan Go! Love being a Go Girl! #NFE
Jennifer / July 22, 2014 at 09:12 pm
Go Girl is in Markham...? Thought this list was for Toronto bootcamps.
Daniela / July 22, 2014 at 11:12 pm
GO GIRL BOOTCAMP - went in feeling like i needed to make a change in my lifestyle . Was nervous and insecure . However, the instant feeling of acceptance and being surrounded by encouragement and support from all staff and members, left me feeling motivated and positive. Have been going ever since and have every intention of continuing this journey to my goal. Thank you Dan Go for this incredible approach to bootcamp, an approach that involves more than a series of exercises.
Yeeshin / July 23, 2014 at 12:30 am
Go Girl has changed my life in more ways than fitness. You really have to experience it first hand in order to understand the love and community that Go Girl has. Much love to the entire team, and each and every girl who contributes her energy to the gym. That is the difference between Go Girl and your average gym, and the difference between lifelong success and repeated failures.
Suzanne / July 23, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Congrats to Go Girl for making the list! I have been a "gym rat" all of my life but until I found Go Girl, I didn't know what I was missing. This is the place where you will get results, find new friends and believe that you can achieve anything you want to achieve. Come and see for yourself soon.
Michelle A / July 23, 2014 at 02:22 pm
Cool! Go Girl is on the list! I've tried a couple of these awesome bootcamps but Go Girl has captured my undivided attention for over a year. The trainers creates workouts that are challenging, fun and safe for everyone! The transformations are real and inspiring. This is the place for no judgements, great support and positive energy...sweatfest guaranteed! Dan Go, the owner, is approachable and will help you get started on the right path to keeping healthy and fit.
Savitha Guru / July 23, 2014 at 03:35 pm
Congrats Go Girl! Proud to be part of this amazing body transformation community. Never felt this good about myself . After trying so many different style of weight loss, GG is the one which gave me the first breakthrough. Honestly I know how hard it is for a person to lose weight after 15 years of gaining it. Lost around 25Lbs so far in 6 months.The community is so supportive and encourages you to try hard to achieve your goals. The best are the coaches and all the veterans who helps your postures and makes you to do extra every time. You have to be there to experience such an amazing positive environment. Thanks Dan,!
Mel / July 26, 2014 at 07:05 pm
I am not surprised Go Girl is on this list! It truly is an AMAZING place for women. It's not just the workouts it's the friendly atmosphere and constant support of amazing strong women. It is truly a unique place! If you have ever struggled with exercise or weightloss join us!
ugly guy hot girl / September 26, 2014 at 06:44 am
Very soon this site will be famous amid all blog visitors,
due to it's good content