Wednesday, November 26, 2014Cloudy 1°C
Sports & Play

15 photos of the stunning new BMX park in Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / July 26, 2014

Sunnyside bmxSunnyside is now home to a world class BMX park, tucked between Lake Shore Blvd. and the Gardiner Expressway. Designed by the much-lauded Jay Hoots, the park is an off-road rider's dream with ramps and jumps galore. Beyond the thrill factor for riders, what might be the coolest feature of the park is that it was built with fill from Toronto condo developments and the wood elements are (mostly) fabricated out of downed trees from the ice storm last winter. How's that for re-use? Free to use (first come first to ride), it's a little gem for those who take their rides with a dose of air.

Check out all the jumps and trick opportunities in this photo gallery.

Andrew / July 26, 2014 at 01:53 am
The photo gallery is a dead link. Even if it wasn't, galleries here won't let me navigate properly between pictures. I'm running Firefox on a mac, if that's helpful for troubleshooting.
Tim replying to a comment from Andrew / July 26, 2014 at 08:14 am
The link is now fixed. As far as your navigation issues, do you not see a forward and back arrow to the left and right of the photo? This should allow you to navigate.
Orpheus / July 26, 2014 at 08:47 am
No doubt Ford and Menzil-Wong will bombast it all as a waste of money. What can you do when suburban Philistines have the key to the city?
Yardl / July 26, 2014 at 09:24 am
There really should be nominal usage fees, memberships, an attendant, and waivers. This is a huge legal liability. You think these biker-brats wont sue when little Geoffrey breaks a spine. Dumb Toronto, dumb. Besides, this is a huge revenue black-hole - for maintenance and upkeep - way more than a traditional park. Toronto should offer a fun-time yearly pass - say $10/month or $50/yr, that allows access to a whole bunch of upgraded 'parts' of parks, pools, and 'deluxe' facilities like this across the City. Hey, it will offset the costs a bit and maybe allow upgrades and more fun places like this to happen - and i don't mind subsidizing ' registered and recognized' needy families with a TO address. Charge admission - upgrade it - and people will come and respect the equipment more anyway.
shane / July 26, 2014 at 10:21 am
Did anyone ask Mountain Dew or Red Bull to contribute? The High Park zoo had private funding for a year but council volunteered to fund it anyhow from the magical endless pile of cash at city hall.
Hamish / July 26, 2014 at 10:24 am
This is a terrific solution to the void that was left after native protestors closed the mountain bike trails in High Park nearby a couple of years ago.
JT replying to a comment from Yardl / July 26, 2014 at 11:20 am
It's dirt, wood and hardware. It is really not all that expensive to build and these parks are typically maintained by the cycling community for free! The one-time consulting costs are the only thing possible worth complaining about, although I don't know what they paid for that.

As for the liability, skateparks share similar risks and have not created any serious issues. Even public pools, toboggan hills and playgrounds have risks of their own. Having a professionally built park with ambulance access is actually a much better solution then a cheaply built, homegrown setup hidden deep in the Don Valley or High Park.

I say this is an excellent solution to a nearly useless strip of land.
Saint Clair / July 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm
They could have wedged a condo in there and given it a deluxe sounding name. Damnit!
d / July 26, 2014 at 01:18 pm
I'm on Chrome and don't see any navigational arrows, Derek
jnyyz / July 26, 2014 at 01:19 pm
There is a stewardship group that is already at work.

Mishka / July 26, 2014 at 02:22 pm
What amazes me is it's location. Talk about a traffic accident waiting to happen. Tell me what driver won't be distracted by this. (Not a atung it shouldn't exist, just dumbfounded by where!)
links / July 26, 2014 at 02:22 pm
Has anyone driven by when there are people using this? I'm all for this type of park, but it's so bloody close to the gardiner it's a major visual distraction for drivers. I don't drive often but the other weekend I went by and traffic was backed up in that area because drivers were slowing down to watch the kids using the park. Couldn't they have picked a safer spot for this?
Andrew replying to a comment from Tim / July 26, 2014 at 03:25 pm
Re: navigation, I tried the page on Safari and the navigating arrows are there, but not in Firefox. Similarly, the thumbnail button allows me to click through to the images, while in Firefox it only ever loads the front image. I don't really care for myself, I thought you'd want to know though, as this might be happening to a lot of users with Firefox
Malcolm / July 26, 2014 at 03:53 pm
*inserts random whining about how terrible this city's become*
There, I now feel so much better about my impotent existence!
Ash / July 26, 2014 at 04:13 pm
Saw this on my way home from a tiring day at work.. Looks to be distracting the driver right in front of me, there was enough space between him and the car in front of him.. It was like 10 car lengths.. Traffic is bad already in that part of the city add a view like this and brake lights up ahead just so everyone can check it out..
hoc / July 26, 2014 at 08:17 pm
Awesome photos!
Can't wait to check this place out!

Enough with the negative comments already.... ffs
Jess / July 27, 2014 at 05:42 pm
What time does this place stay open till? Are there lights around?
Jeff / July 27, 2014 at 10:37 pm
Totally agree with the other comments that it is a bad location for this so close to the Gardiner. I think cars are already being distracted by this. I think it is a great idea but who thought that it was a good location!
Door / July 28, 2014 at 09:49 am
The CN Tower is a distraction to drivers... Let's move it!

Who cares what drivers on the Gardiner think? Drivers are distracted by traffic accidents, by their phones, by passengers. If you can't focus on the task of driving, don't drive.
tommy / July 28, 2014 at 08:13 pm
The skate park has been there for years, yet you only start complaining about distracted drivers now that the BMX park goes in?! You drivers have a bigger attention span problem than I thought!
Krupo replying to a comment from Mishka / July 30, 2014 at 09:37 pm
I'm assuming that the handful of people kvetching about this being a "driver distraction" are trolling ever so gently. Because the giant illuminated billboards by the side of the highway and the cellphones that people can't help but stare at while driving aren't already causing enough issues, you'll have to ascribe asinine driving to people who can't keep their eyes on the road.

The new park is glorious, glad to see blogto talking about it - and if you're stuck in rush hour (or any) traffic, there'll be some nice long red lights to watch the kids having fun on there.

I did see a general waiver/warning disclaimer sign at the entrance, and if someone does take a nasty spill, St. Joe's is a very short trip away.
sean replying to a comment from Yardl / August 2, 2014 at 12:01 am
You're kidding right?
Do you go and complain about all of the skate parks around the city as well?

Bike brats? That's a pretty ignorant thing to say. You do understand that a HUGE percentage of riders are adults? I am a 40 year old mountain biker, I jump my bike, ride downhill and also cross country.

These biker brats, I guess myself included have had a major have been maintaining the don valley trails for more than 20 years. These trails were NOT maintained by the city of toronto. Fallen trees were removed by us, brush was cut back by us, new saplings planted by us.

Skate parks were built for small bmx bikes (Not mountain bikes) and skate boards. People like you complain about everything, but what you don't realize in mountain biker "brats" travel the world to ride new parks, i t's about time Toronto stepped up and built something here.

Cry more, get over it.
sean replying to a comment from Jeff / August 2, 2014 at 12:05 am
Maybe you should focus on the road and not a bike park. If you can't focus on your driving...park your car and take the ttc
sean replying to a comment from links / August 2, 2014 at 12:12 am
Drivers should focus on the damn road and stop being morons. Seriously, how is the placement of this park the reason hwy drivers become idiots?

Set in larger fines, put up signs on that section on the hwy to tell drivers that this is a no stop zone.

You can't blame the park for other peoples ignorance.
DAKINS replying to a comment from Yardl / September 24, 2014 at 04:20 pm
Get those kids off my lawn while you're at it too.

Give your head a shake, you don't think those factors were taken into account? Would you rather they sue the city after someone gets hurt on trails built in the woods somewhere? Don't hate what you don't understand.

You are so out of touch and ignorant to BMX and what this means for the city that it's laughable.