Friday, October 24, 2014Clear 5°C
Sports & Play

Where to buy airsoft guns in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / May 3, 2012

Toronto AirsoftToronto Airsoft provided me with my first opportunity to fire a handgun.

OK — so, I was firing tiny plastic pellets, not bullets or steel BBs, and I was practicing in a controlled range — but nevertheless, I felt immensely badass.

While the idea might twist the panties of a few concerned anti-violence crusaders, Toronto Airsoft has recognized and tapped into the growing airsoft community in Ontario.

"26,000," says Toronto Airsoft owner Frank Chong when I ask him to estimate just how large that community has grown in the last few years. "If you look at the Airsoft Canada forum, there are about 26,000 registered members in Ontario."

Toronto AirsoftThousands of members who, before Toronto Airsoft opened, had very few places to shop. "It's much bigger in Asia," Chong says of the airsoft community. "I would get equipment or pick up guns when I would fly back to Hong Kong."

It was 2004 when Chong decided to look into opening his own store, recognizing the void in Canadian airsoft retailers. He opened Toronto Airsoft online in 2008, and then this retail shop on the Geary Avenue last May.

Airsoft Guns"With something like this," he says, "people want to hold the rifles in their hands; feel the weight of it. You can't do those things when you're buying online." Toronto Airsoft sees players drive in from London, Belleville, and other neighbouring cities and towns to test out its gas, electric, and bolt action guns, as well as participate in organized events and group games.

"It's an honour game," says a staff member who goes by the name "Sauder." He likens airsoft to paintball, with a few notable differences. "With paintball, it's obvious you've been hit. Airsoft is an honour sport — there's no visible indication in this case that you've been hit."

And for those who are wondering, airsoft doesn't typically leave the sprawling purple battle wounds that are typical of paintball matches. Still, the pellets can indeed break exposed skin and are trouble is they catch you in the mouth — or worse, eyes.

Toronto AirsoftFor that reason, Toronto Airsoft sells all sorts of protective gear and accessories, including vests priced in the $25 to $80 range, goggles and full face masks, plus belts, holsters, slings, and bags. The rifles cost anywhere from $120 to somewhere in the thousands, with high-end models easily customizable to the owner's specifications. Brands are mostly based in Asia, and include G&P, Classic Army, and King Arms. Toronto Airsoft will not sell guns to wannabe players under 18 years old, and advises of-age customers to keep their rifles and handguns concealed in public, for obvious reasons.

I try out a handgun, which is generally cheaper and purchased as a player's second gun. "You'll pull it out if you need to reload your rifle and someone sneaks up on you," I'm told. "And some games are played with handguns only."

Toronto's airsoft community typically meets weekly for play at Sgt Splatter's, as well as for various other meetups and games throughout Ontario and the GTA. There's also an convention held in Toronto around this time each year, and perhaps if I start to work on my aim, I'll actually reach that level of "badass" to show my face at the next event.

Toronto AirsoftPhotos by Derek Flack

Elizabeth / May 3, 2012 at 10:59 am
I'm sorry, but this is horrifying. Around the corner from my house. I just don't get why people think it is cool and fun to pretend to KILL PEOPLE! It is f-ed up.
Real Killa / May 3, 2012 at 11:06 am
I know, killing for real is SO much more satisfying!
Polack replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 3, 2012 at 01:21 pm
@Elizabeth:

Yes, we're all just doing it because we love to pretend to kill each other. It has nothing to do with the enjoyment of teamwork and strategic scenario-based games.

Idiot.
Airsoftplayer / May 3, 2012 at 01:27 pm
It's an activity, similar to paintball, tons of fun, and a great workout. It doesn't hurt much, is full of laughs and good times as well as intense competition, and is less dangerous than that Canadian tire bb gun you bought for your child with lead pellets. Try it before you knock it elizabeth...

Personally I was thinking I'd wear ankle weights next time I play for an additional work out while I'm having fun "killing people". Ps Elizabeth have you ever watched a lacrosse game? I'm pretty sure that's more fucked up than airsoft ever will be and it's our national sport...
Elizabeth / May 3, 2012 at 02:08 pm
There's tons of games out there that rely on strategy and teamwork, and don't require SHOOTING people on the opposite team. It's a war game. It's fucked. And I've been to lacrosse games and I play hockey and other sports. I'm not talking about violence, but about pretending to shoot someone with a weapon. I think it is fucked up. Sorry.

(And I can't knock something unless I've tried it? That's a seriously faulty argument)
Pat / May 3, 2012 at 02:33 pm
@Elizabeth, you're right, pucks knocking out teeth and concussions from hockey goons is 100% acceptable, but plastic BBs are fucked up.
If you need something to calm your nerves from this horrifying story, I have a nice crochet pattern of Marion Hossa getting taken down that should soothe you.
Brandon replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 3, 2012 at 03:34 pm
@Elizabeth When we get invaded by the United States you'll come crying to us with your kids desperate for our protection because NOW you need someone who, with their likely infant knowledge of combat, miraculously is now a battlefield genius compared to ignorant prudes like yourself.

We don't participate in these "horrific" acts because its cool or fun to shoot people we do so because it allows us to get an immersion with our hobby. An adrenaline rush is an adrenaline rush be it from shooting plastic or jumping off a cliff with only an inverted shopping bag to stop us from becoming pancakes. Also, many in the airsoft community are active in the real steel (shooting actual firearms) community as well, further shrinking your right to criticize our choice of hobby and further reinforcing the fact that, come the day when your way of life is threatened and actual armed/police forces are either unavailable or relocated, you'll need us "fuck ups" :)

Have a nice day everyone, happy hunting.
Airsoftplayer / May 3, 2012 at 03:57 pm
Just for fun I might as well add we also use fake grenades and rubber knives... ;p

Honestly little children play cowboys n indians... Don't be so surprised grown men still want to have that good guy vs bad guy thrill. It's basically paintball, its amazingly fun, and it's a good brain chAllenge to work on all the complicAted weapons. Not entirely dissimilar to RC Cars in some ways.

People used to joust for sport.... Airsoft is far from retarded ;)
jp replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 3, 2012 at 04:09 pm
don't be naive. the airsoft community is highly welcoming. not to mention, FAR more people die in football, hockey and other sports than in airsoft. while you may be afraid of the image of a gun, the people who play airsoft are themselves very peaceful, welcoming, and friendly. When I played football on the other hand, I was beaten frequently by my fellow players for screwing up a block, letting a guy pass, etc.
trol / May 3, 2012 at 07:09 pm
bitch just got owned...... u mad?
M.A. / May 3, 2012 at 08:52 pm
This is easily one of the best airsoft stores in Canada if not the best. Frank and his crew are really awesome people, and do a really good job of promoting a really safe and responsible airsoft experience.

It's rather unfortunate that the first comment to this story was a knee-jerk reaction from someone who found it horrifying, but this sport has never been that good at self-promotion. This is something that will have to change.

People who have been up until now unaware of this sport need to understand that there really needs to be more to this genre of gaming than just Call of Duty and video games. Airsoft is a safety oriented sport/game that promotes getting your ass off the couch and experiencing teamwork and strategy with your whole body, rather than just your hands and eyes... I think we can all agree that even if the prospect of underaged kids running up and down the street with toy AK47s is unsettling, at least they aren't giving yet another dollar to Activision while they get fatter and ruin their spines.

For those of you who are unsettled by this, please try to take a moment and realize these are just simple toys and are far safer than a whole slew of activities that young people do every day, like getting into automobiles, smoking cigarettes or yes, sports like hockey and football. Please step back and try to separate the aesthetics of what you are seeing from what they represent in "real life". Many of us who play this sport come from a variety of walks of life, and share the same progressive and peace-loving political values as you do.

Save your horror for the things in our culture that are actually harmful, and not just family fun for Sundays.
Joey / May 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm
Wow, many of you (and let's be honest here, except for Airsoftplayer and M.A., it's probably the same one or two people making comments under different names) really suck at creating a coherent, logical, on-point argument. Based on what's posted here, I can only assume being a high school dropout is a requirement for being interested in this hobby.
Mike / May 4, 2012 at 01:53 am
Seriously, why not do real air rifles instead? Way more accurate and there's real physical and mental challenge involved. It is a real Olympics sport as well.
AirsoftPlayer / May 4, 2012 at 05:58 am
Because you can't shoot real air rifles at your friends and not end up with the police knocking at your door. Most of the fun is the fact you get put into the stresses of combat while remaining completely safe and getting to laugh about it later. Air rifles are cool for target shooting, but pretty useless after that. airsoft can also be highly accuracte and requires much physical and mental determination in order to reliably put rounds on target so really its awfully similar to an air rifle just with more entertaining targets (people) that shoot back at you and may or may not have a grenade or knife to toss at you :)

It's basically just a really good time and I advise anyone who's ever thought of going for a round of paintball to come check this out.
Irina / May 4, 2012 at 11:35 am
I've thought about paintball but I heard you get giant bruises, which is something I don't want. So air soft causes less bodily damage? I like picking up random skills and enjoyed first-person shooters pretty much forever because of the skill involved. It sounds like fun and the equipment looks lighter than paintball. I wouldn't mind trying to learn target practice and maybe one day play the real deal with moving targets that hit back (if it is safer than paintball). I want to build those skills in a safe environment. Can anyone go into more details of the risks involved? Is it mostly men or do women play too? Would love more info, maybe some links to hit up too.
Jeff replying to a comment from Joey / May 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm
I'm headed to an Airsoft tournament this weekend in Owen Sound. As a university graduate I take offence to your presupposition.
Gib replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 4, 2012 at 02:14 pm
It's just a game, there's a big difference between blowing someones head off and hitting them with a bit of plastic. I understand your opinion, you're not the only who thinks like that, but believe me, we're not terrorists in training, most of us are good, law-abiding people.
Nicholas / May 7, 2012 at 08:21 pm
I'm glad that so many people are ready to jump to the defense airsoft. But come on guys, I'm an avid player of the sport and just because people make stupid comments because they can't comprehend the awesomeness of the sport doesn't mean people should cuss at 'em. And to Joey, and Elizabeth or whoever decides to bash airsoft: Get a life, just because you think its "Horrible" or people who play it are "Highschool-dropouts" doesn't mean you have to annoy us people that like it. Furthermore, I can name 5 people off the top of my head that have graduated and are in university currently.
tyler replying to a comment from Joey / May 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm
You do realize how dumb you sound right. First off airsoft is a team building sport. Secondly check out how expensive airsoft is and you will see that a highschool drop out would have a hard time buying good gear. Your one of those anti-fun people.
Vincent replying to a comment from Joey / May 17, 2012 at 11:50 am
So you think this sport/hobby is only for high school dropouts eh? As a university graduate with just one exam away from becoming a licensed CA and a fairly successful small company under my name, I take great offence to that comment. The majority of my local group has either graduated or are still in college/university. If you took a little bit of time to do a google search of airsoft, you'd know AIRSOFT IS NOT A CHEAP HOBBY. Where do you think we get the money from? Our McDonald's paycheques? Our wealthfare cheques? Since this is primarily an 18+ activity, we don't ask mommy and daddy for thousands of dollars in allowance just to buy our toys.

So just because you're interested in a sport/hobby, that makes you a "high school dropout"? Making douche comments like that gets you nowhere in life. On the contrary, you haven't explained why being an airsofter makes you a high school dropout is a "coherent, logical, on-point argument." Besides, what makes your life so successful that gives you the right to say such a thing?
Chang replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 28, 2012 at 04:54 pm
You live around the corner from this store? I would be there all the time!
MILSIG CANADA / May 30, 2012 at 04:29 am
AIRSOFT, PAINTBALL, MILITARY SIMULATION, SURVIVAL TRAINING and SURVIVAL GAME, playing soldier... its a big part in many boys and girls' instinct and DNA, the instinct to protect, to help, to defend, to survive... it is all in us, whether we choose to practice it on the weekend with a whole bunch of friends and fans or not, it is all in us.. =) GO AIRSOFT! http://www.milsig.ca/store My favourite airsoft store in the Westcoast!
tdubz replying to a comment from Elizabeth / June 1, 2012 at 09:16 am
People play this because it's fun and it's amazing exercise. With all the violent video games and movies out there now I think you can leave us alone we are all adults that enjoy military style combat. If you don't like it or don't agree then don't play it and don't go to sites that promote it.
tdubz replying to a comment from Elizabeth / June 1, 2012 at 09:23 am
really though you can't knock something unless you've tried it. I'm guessing your either a child that can't get into one of the games or just an uneducated hack that loves to bitch and moan if you don't like it stop trolling airsoft boards you trollllllerrrr
jhiro replying to a comment from Elizabeth / June 14, 2012 at 07:12 pm
ELIZABETH... GO GET A LIFE!!!!
therussian replying to a comment from Vincent / July 4, 2012 at 03:40 pm
well i have a few airsoft guns but i dont play airsoft i just shoot them with mu friends and u have a REALLY good point on spending like thousands on gear guns ammo like i have an M16 from walmart and it wasnt that cheep like it was $120 and its all plastic so i cant imagen what a really good meatl one would be so ya thats all

From,
therussian

ps:idk y i did the from therussian
Patrick replying to a comment from Elizabeth / July 16, 2012 at 11:16 am
AirSoft is just like any other competitive sport but uses equipment made to look like military equipment. I personally lie strategy and the use of team tactics but don't get to use them at the levels I want in team sports like hockey soccer or lacrosse but with airsoft I can without joining the military get the same rush and good feeling of a well planned and strategic manoeuvre. You defend lacrosse as a sport while putting down airsoft but you as a Canadadian should look into the history of lacrosse. Not only is it one of the most violent sports today but it began as a warfare. It prepared native tribesmen for real combat where real people died. Not to mention your chances of death in these "practices" we're very high. Humanity is inherently violent. Two professions have even around since we became concious of ourselves that of prostitution and of warfare. Airsoft is a safe way for those who are in touch with a part of themselves that is only natural to release it in a safe and enjoyable way. You think te argument of not knocking it until you try it is ridiculous but it is. You make a statement about something you don't understand and expect those with logical kinds to accept that opinion. I'm against guns. I think they're dangerous and should be only allows to select persons in our population and the with a large amount of control ad screening. I on the other hand am all for airsoft and "war games" that are fun and safe.
Patrick replying to a comment from Joey / July 16, 2012 at 11:19 am
Then you are at the same level as a high school drop out as anyone who's graduated high school knows you can't base an entire argument on a single piece of evidence. You just dug yourself into a hole. Just saying ;)
Eric / July 21, 2012 at 04:36 pm
Well Said Patrick alot of "derps" shud learn from what u just said. and if u do learn from it, u might just not have a Derp face moment.
lulu replying to a comment from Elizabeth / August 16, 2012 at 10:39 am
Elizabeth, do you that some of the people that actually play airsoft are in the miltary field? Some could be training to become a soldier? This game is just for fun and not to get the thrill of soo called pretending to enjoy to kill people. This is very respectable game. You people will use this knowledge of airsoft and even apply to training in the military one day. So if killing is really bad, why do we have police with guns, soldiers with gun? So they are bad people to you to and stupid then??????!!! I myself like airsoft and let my boyfriend play it. You need some knowledge!?!?!
lulu replying to a comment from Elizabeth / August 16, 2012 at 10:40 am
Damn keyboard, there should be a "know" in the first sentence.
lulu replying to a comment from Joey / August 16, 2012 at 10:48 am
If that is true about what you say, how come you have business men, military, and very well educated people playing this game? You think it is cheap getting the gear, the guns, the equipments? Go back to school and then tell us that airsoft us only for drop outs.
loser replying to a comment from Elizabeth / August 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm
look around honey, people ARE killing . stop self diluting yourself. so what if people want to use airsoft.
Adam / September 4, 2012 at 06:11 am
Develop the topic further! It is interesting to know more details..!

martial arts supply
Dan / September 11, 2012 at 04:24 pm
There are tons of stores online too! www.ehobbycanada.ca is a new Airsoft store in Canada!
AirsoftCanada / September 18, 2012 at 09:58 am
+1 for www.ehobbycanada.ca They have a huge selection of airsoft guns and it's shipped from Markham Ontario so you don't have to worry about those nasty customs holding back your stuff. And their prices are WAY more competitive than any B&M store I've seen around here. Similar prices to revolution I'd say.
Tier One Tactical / September 21, 2012 at 04:00 pm
www.tieronetactical.com

Online store that runs retail and shows if product is available or not. They also run a huge wholesale business, so if your a store that needs these supplies give them a call. Just received the G&G distribution for Canada. Check them out, they have huge stock and fast shipping. Price match policy. They will match any Canadian price.
Tank / October 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm
If you are in Toronto, no doubt you need to be at Mach1airsoft. The guys there are great. Good to talk to for advise, and the selection is absolutely insane. Mainly because their focus is on distribution across Canada to other retailers is why their selection is great.
Key to having a great airsoft experience, is finding a good retailer/source who can take care of you after you've made your purchase. Tank out!!!
Tactical Airsoft Canada / October 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Just checked out hobby and it's pretty good. They changed their name though.... it's tacticalairsoftcanada.com
airsoft wannabe101 / October 28, 2012 at 09:43 pm
dang i'm only twelve and i just really heard about this right as i was starting to get into paintball(although ive never been)and then i saw this thred so i just want to ask i'm thinking about getting a gun from canadian tire and do you guys know any where good to go and play cause i'm a noob at this and have a budget of only 40 dollars a week and i don't think many or any of my friends play it
Nick replying to a comment from Elizabeth / February 8, 2013 at 09:48 pm
I don't understand how it is horrifying. It is just a fun sport with a strong community. The idea is of course, not suitable for children because you are shooting people with guns, but that is why the age restriction is 18, where players are mature enough to understand that the act of shooting people in the game of airsoft is for sporting means only.
If I had your mindset I would say hockey is horrifying, all the hitting and fighting. But it is not horrifying. Same logic applies to airsoft.
acb87 / February 19, 2013 at 08:49 am
im so , glad the changed the laws, no more importing airsoft guns illegally for me
Mugwump replying to a comment from Tier One Tactical / February 19, 2013 at 10:04 am
Nice spam you dickhead...
j-rock / February 20, 2013 at 10:25 am
I used to play this with friends when I lived overseas. I didn't know there was an Airsoft community in Toronto. And just to further dispel some of the nonsense spewed above: The guys I played with were all educated, some even had advanced and/or professional degrees, they had good jobs, and none of us have ever owned a real weapon. It's a fun way to get some exercise and spend time with your friends. I wish that Elizabeth and others like her would take a deep breath and realize that the world isn't going to come to an end because a few adults played capture-the-flag with replica guns on a Sunday afternoon.
john / June 23, 2013 at 12:07 am
The world would be a more peaceful place if we just had airsoft tournaments instead of real wars.
luke / June 26, 2013 at 09:54 pm
I got a nice gun at princess auto all metal
Alison replying to a comment from john / July 6, 2013 at 12:03 am
I totally agree with what John says. The world could be a much better place if any conflicts can be settled with a fair match of airsoft tournaments, instead of having those NATO governments sending weapons and troops to topple whatever regimes they don't like and kill whoever they don't like. Take a look at Korean war, Vietnam War, Iran-Iraqi war, various civil wars in Africa, Bosnian-Serbian genocide, Afghanistan, Iraqi invasion...
airsoft / July 23, 2013 at 02:41 pm
Hi there, I believe your website could possibly be having web browser compatibility problems.
When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine
however, if opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.
I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
Besides that, great blog!
best air rifles / September 27, 2013 at 04:31 am
I love airsoft guns, these are a great time pass. This blog has came up with very useful information for those who want to buy airsoft guns in Toronto.
トリーバーチ iphone5ケース / November 22, 2013 at 01:59 pm
ルモワーヌ
Vito Scaletta / April 24, 2014 at 04:57 pm
These are great guys and a great store. Airsoft Toronto Forum is interested in partnering up with TorontoAirsoft.com.

Visit us at www.AirsoftToronto.ca
gluten free fast foods / May 12, 2014 at 12:28 am
The researcher in charge of the study Susanne Akterin, a postgraduate at KI Alzheimer's Disease Research Centre stated that 'Several studies have
been published during the last years linking diet with the development with Alzheimer's disease and dementia and especially too much cholesterol have
been found to be particularly bad. Read on to find out
how easy and cheap and effective it can be to catch cheap big fish on unusual and alternative homemade baits.
Make it a habit to eat whole foods more often and lower your consumption of processed foods.
Tech replying to a comment from Elizabeth / May 16, 2014 at 01:42 am
Really? Really?? You think all the people that go and play this game have an idea similar to "Gee, I love killing people!!" when they play? You are insane... To think that that's what goes on, you are most likely insane and probably the real danger here.

Most players feel bad when they hit someone with a BB and they say "ow". Most players on opposite teams laugh and have fun hanging out together afterwards; they're not thinking about killing each other or others in general...

You, however... YOU see these friendly, fun-enjoying people as some kind of threat that doesn't exist. YOU are the one most likely to think "I've got to get them before they get me". YOU are the type of person that attacks for no reason.

I would be concerned playing at a fun, airsoft field near a homeowner like you for my personal safety.

Also, practically all games we play (from chess to professional TV-watched sports are derived from war... I guess you have a lot of things you are afraid of...)
Nick / May 19, 2014 at 03:16 pm
Hey everyone, just everyone let people have there own thoughts on this we all have an opinion even thought some are wrong
Paintball Guns / June 17, 2014 at 07:39 am
Airsoft, paintball guns…under the right safety regulations, to say these sports are dangerous is nonsense. Get paintball safety right first, the rest will follow.
leo cabral / July 21, 2014 at 10:54 am
Can you tell me where u r located in Toronto plz