Saturday, November 22, 2014Cloudy 2°C
Sports & Play

Where to play indoor volleyball in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / November 20, 2011

Indoor Volleyball TorontoIndoor volleyball in Toronto keeps us active during the fall and winter months, as well as the odd occasion when shards of glass are found in the sand at the Ashbridges Bay. Many indoor volleyball courts offer the next best thing to actual beach volleyball--that is, beach volleyball with a roof--with the added bonus of a licensed bar to help you cool down after the game. Of course, not every facility can accommodate a dump truck full of sand, particularly those high school gymnasiums that are often used by volleyball leagues after school hours. In those cases, be sure to remember those knee pads. Here are a few places to play indoor volleyball in Toronto.

Beach Blast
My memories of Beach Blast stem back to those first awkward co-ed birthday parties during middle school. Now, they consist mostly of those first, awkward short-shorts appearances after too many months out of the sun. Beach Blast is my choice pick for indoor volleyball since it has actual sand courts, which is a lot easier on the knees during those diving plays. Not far from Lawrence and Dufferin, Beach Blast's seven indoor courts are available for drop-in and tournament play, clinics, and private rentals.

Victory Volleyball
Victory Volleyball is a volleyball-dedicated hard court facility in Mississauga that uses the same flooring material as the International Volleyball League. So even if it hurts like hell when you land, you'll be hurting just like the pros. Drop-in is available everyday with the purchase of a five-visit pass ($54), or you can sign up to play in a league or tournament. Victory Volleyball also offers adult skills clinics and group or private tutoring.

The Hangar
The Hangar at Downsview Park has just about every sport imaginable (roller derby is no exception) and among them is indoor beach volleyball. The courts are available for both league and drop-in play, the latter of which can run you as little as $10 on Friday and Saturday nights. Play-all-day passes are also available everyday for $16.

North Beach Volleyball
North Beach Volleyball is another facility that has volleyball courts with actual sand (and a licensed pub and patio too). North Beach hosts "Rock the Sandbox" every Friday and Saturday night when you can participate in drop-in play until 2 a.m. for just $10. That's jerk chicken, volleyball, and bad pop hits. North Beach also offers several leagues and tournaments throughout the year

Toronto Spartan Volleyball League
The Toronto Spartan Volleyball League is an LGBT indoor volleyball league that organizes games at various high school gyms in the central downtown/Leslieville/Riverdale areas of Toronto. While an evening at a public school gym might be the furthest thing from a day at the beach, you can surely tap into that old high school angst to throw power behind your spikes. The league plays in both recreational and competitive divisions.

Go West Athletics
Go West, like Toronto Spartan, plays at high school gyms, but it sticks mostly to Etobicoke CI at Dundas and Islington. Indoor volleyball games are played Monday through Friday, as well as the occasional Saturday tournament. Registration is generally around $125 for an individual, or $750 for a team.

YMCA
Yes, the old faithful also offers volleyball. But, uh, don't expect sand courts here. The Toronto area YMCA facilities generally allot some of its gym times for indoor volleyball, but you might have to kick some basketball players off the court first. Generally for players 16 years old and up.

City of Toronto
Until future budget meetings deem them frivolous, the city organizes several registered programs for mostly recreational play. Programs are held once a week, usually in the evenings, from Monday to Wednesday at schools and community centres. Programs include recreational groups, co-ed volleyball, and competitive play.

MAP:

Photo by william.nguyen on Flickr

Gigi / November 23, 2011 at 07:41 pm
thanks for this!
Jovana Jankovic / July 16, 2012 at 02:42 pm
This is a misleading headline. It should say "Where to play indoor BEACH volleyball..." Simply saying "indoor" makes me think it is court volleyball, which is what I am looking for.
R Macrae / January 13, 2013 at 02:21 am
North Beach Volleyball is Canada's largest full service indoor beach volleyball facility with 8 full size courts. North Beach was the first company in Canada to offer indoor beach leagues. Typically 250 team spots are available Mon through Thursdays and Sundays, on a 10 week rotation. It's easy to socialize with other players after your game,as well as find great food and drinks in the modern 65 seat court side restaurant. The vibe is very friendly no matter what level you play at or how long you have been playing. North Beach is celebrating its 20th Year Anniversary in 2013 and has added two Ping Pong Rooms, planned more special events, themed parties and of course lots of tournaments.
Michel / March 16, 2013 at 05:08 am
Hello,

I'm looking for a place to play indoor volleyball this weekend in Toronto. Since I'm a tourist, not sure where to go / location, facilities, etc

Any help?
Valdir Ubaldo / March 20, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Hi, my name is Valdir. I'm from Brazil and I'm here for 5 months. I have played volleyball in Brazil for 13 year. It's my passion. I'm would like to know the easy places in Toronto to play volleyball. I'm anxious for your answer!
TOVball replying to a comment from Michel / April 23, 2013 at 03:22 pm
Hi Michel,
Our group plays volleyball during weekends around the city mostly during afternoon weekends.
Please feel free to contact us directly at tovballcentral@gmail.com and we'd be happy to offer you recommendations on varying plays/skills.
Kathie / May 2, 2013 at 08:02 pm
We have drop in volleyball every Thursday night for intermediate/competitive level players.
Oak Riges Community Centre in Richmond Hill. E-mail me for details. Cost = $5.00
Amanda replying to a comment from Kathie / October 2, 2013 at 09:24 pm
Hi Kathie,

Just wondering - is this still ongoing?

Thanks!
Kathie / October 3, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Hi Amanda- we are still running indoor court volleyball the night has changed to Wednesdays at Bayview Hill Community Centre, in Richmond Hill. It is not drop -in anymore, it is a registered program. For more info, have a look here: http://www.richmondhill.ca/documents/leisureguide_adult_programs.pdf

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Sharkey@rogers.com
Angela / December 10, 2013 at 01:12 am
Hey guys. i'm 20 years old looking for a volleyball drop in or anything beginner/recreational. i need it asap because i want to play for humber!
Sini / April 15, 2014 at 05:49 pm
Hi, looking for possibilities in playing volley ball for fun with any group of people. I am new in Toronto and don't know people yet so would be awesome to find a group I could play with? Open to any other sport activities too!
Jack / June 19, 2014 at 09:05 pm
Hi. Is any indoor volleyball for adult advance group around Woodbridge? Summer and winter seasons.
Thank'you
jheri / October 30, 2014 at 08:23 pm
im looking for a indoor volleyball everyday,if someone know where near jane and Lawrence pls mail me on my email add. thanks
Karma / November 18, 2014 at 01:32 pm
After looking into a handful of the articles on your website,
I truly appreciate your way of blogging. I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will
be checking back soon. Please visit my website as well and tell me your opinion.