Sunday, October 26, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C
Sports & Play

WiiTO

Posted by Ryan C / January 25, 2007

Jerrold has hairy armsA personal mission I've always had in life has been to spread the gospel of Super Mario and the ninTENdo Commandments. Little did I know there was someone even pushier than I am about it. Mr. Photojunkie himself was nice enough to bring his Wii over to my place so that a gathering of BlogTOers could finally know what's like to throw a cow 113 yards while surrounded by a pack of rabid bunnies (that can dance).

Strike a pose!The NinTENdo Commandments:

1. Thou shalt not launch thine wiimote into Ryan C's tv
  2. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wii-nunchuck
  3. Thou shalt not shear the rabid bunny's fur
  4. Thou shalt crash as much as humanly possible in Excite Truck
  5. Thou shalt bring Whiskey to Ryan's house when invited over for a Wii Party
  6. Thou shalt buy funky wiimote covers that not only keep thine hand from letting go of the wiimote (in theory, Penar...), but also look stylin'
  7. Thou shalt yell "Stay down!" after knocking out thine opponent in a boxing match
  8. Thou shalt do the funny pose at the end of WarioWare tandem jumping races
  9. Thou shalt not comment gravely on the Wii's graphic capabilities
  10. Thou shalt continue the search for Princess Peach, no matter how many castles you've searched in the past

Four player tennis was an absolute riot. I sincerely doubt anyone who came would hesitate to recommend a Wii for every household in Toronto, if you can find them that is. While the system's stock has been continually replenished, it has a tendency to fly off the shelves in a matter of minutes, leaving the Playstation 3s all by their lonesome on the floors of BestBuy. Trade a kidney for one, you totally won't regret it.

I'd like to personally thank Jerrold, Penar, Ian, Mike R, and Rannie for coming to my decidedly orange abode (I seriously have the ugliest color in existence painted on my living room's walls). Rannie is offering to bring his Wii and nice collection of games to people's houses every Wednesday, and you can go ahead and book a GTA Wii evening on his uber-popular blog. His Wii is already booked through 'til March (he gets around), so move fast!

More shots of the evening can be found on on Flickr with the wiiTO tag.
Anyone wanna buy the Zelda mosaic in the background?
And just because it's fun, check out this NSFW Mario Kart / GTA Vice City mashup from Robot Chicken.

Beth / January 25, 2007 at 10:57 am
Hilarious shots! Sorry I couldn't making it last night Ryan, I was unfortunately paper-cutting the crap out of my hands framing & preparing stuff for my photo exhibit tomorrow. Believe me, I would have rather been Wii-ing. (Looks like it was an all-dude event though??!)
Gloria / January 25, 2007 at 11:17 am
An all-bearded-dude event? (Kinda.)

Too sorry I missed it!
jerrold / January 25, 2007 at 11:47 am
Too bad the girls didn't show up... but us boys had a blast anyhow. Rannie's Wii Party Tour comes highly recommended. He's a super fun guy with lots of super fun games to share.
jerrold / January 25, 2007 at 11:52 am
Oh, and btw, my socks are indeed mismatching and I like it!
Tanja / January 25, 2007 at 01:20 pm
Haha. That looks like fun. I hope you got my msg yesterday! Where the f'k is the 502/503 streetcar when you're standing outside in artic temps? We waited for 5 streetcars in the blowing snow and then just gave up... Frostbite = tears = which lead to more frostbite. The cookies weren't our best anyhow. NEXT TIME.
Tanja / January 25, 2007 at 01:23 pm
p.s. MOVE WEST. ;)
Jonathan / January 25, 2007 at 01:33 pm
I second that emotion, Tanja.

Thanks for this, Ryan.
Ryan C. / January 25, 2007 at 01:42 pm
I might have neglected to say that the streetcars stop running after a certain time. Last one at King and Bay is at like 630-6:45...

whoopsie doodle. I had a sign on the door that said "No girls allowed" anyways.
Tanja / January 25, 2007 at 01:59 pm
Damn you! Now I don't feel bad at all. :P hehehe.
photojunkie / January 25, 2007 at 02:15 pm
Damn it... where are the dookies?
Ryan C. / January 25, 2007 at 02:38 pm
Anyone who wants to eat dookie is into some kinky shit (zing!).
Jonathan / January 25, 2007 at 03:27 pm
(Ralph Wiggum voice): I'm a boy!
Gloria / January 25, 2007 at 03:45 pm
The Link mosaic is WICKED.
Kate / January 25, 2007 at 04:50 pm
This is where BlogTO falls short.

The post, although kind of amusing is essntially about a bunch of mates getting together to play some wii. It just doesn't fit well here.
Ryan C. / January 25, 2007 at 06:11 pm
If we forget the promotion of the popular Photojunkie GTA Wii tour (booked up until mid-March now), and secondary highlighting of work by local photo bloggers Jerrold, Mike R and Rannie through the links,it is just about us playing Wii. Which was such a riot that all who weren't there were jealous jealous jealous!

Or frostbitten in the case of Tanja and whomever trusted her enough to be lead outside.

And it seems super fan Gloria has a thing for facial hair. Jerrold is spoken for, but I dunno about Mike or Ian... pounce'em Gloria!
Ian / January 25, 2007 at 07:19 pm
Those pictures are hilarious. I definitely recommend people try to squeeze into Rannie's last few free slots - such a fun way to bring people together in this suddenly cold cold winter.
Tanja / January 26, 2007 at 12:57 am
So where was the fiance in this mix, Ryan C?
Ryan C. / January 26, 2007 at 01:33 am
Umm, you were freezing in the cold at the bus stop, don'tcha remember?

The cat's outta the bag folks.
photojunkie / January 26, 2007 at 02:40 am
Kate,

Toronto is not just about public space, politics, local news and all things serious ( I do care about those things). It's about the people that live in the city, the connections and sometimes the Wii.

Sure this is a blog about Toronto, but damn I wanna hear about people's stories, their experiences both fun and serious. This is what separates us from the mainstream media. There is an opportunity here to share story that you wouldn't read about in your regular paper.

Maybe Ryan didn't spell it out for you, but for me, going to someone's place with my Wii isn't just about a bunch of guys hanging out, it's about me connecting with my fellow Torontoians. Meeting new people and bringing a new experience to those that I meet.

Perhaps that doesn't interest you, but that doesn't mean it's not a part of being a Torontoian. Every Wednesday I can should you a new group of people who will probably disagree.

Kate / January 26, 2007 at 09:48 am
Fair enough,

I undersatnd the importance of meeting new people and making connections and I love my Wii and I love living in Toronto. I don't know, something about this post seemed very exclusive when compared to the other things I read on BlogTO or other TO based blog sites. That's all.
photojunkie / January 27, 2007 at 01:59 am
Kate

I'll bring my Wii to your place too.. I've booked 14 stops around Toronto over the next couple of months.
Kate / January 27, 2007 at 11:41 am
Thank you Photojunkie, but I'm booked out with my friends coming over to play my Wii, but I won't be posting about it on the internet, because I just don't think it would be that interesting for other people.
Lachlan / January 28, 2007 at 05:29 pm
Why can't anyone bring whisky?
Travis / January 30, 2007 at 09:22 am
And as previously said, your wii also isn't interesting Kate, because unlike Rannie, you aren't lugging it around T.O. to meet strange new bloggers.