Free events in Toronto: August 18-24, 2014
Free events in Toronto this week include a party on a boat - something us penny pinchers usually only dream about. The catch is you're supposed to wear all white - maintaining white clothes being an impossibility for us in the trenches. Don't worry as there are plenty of parties here that won't mind our dour black attire, but if you really want to ride the boat, Honest Ed's might have white snuggies.
Some of these events will expect a small donation from you've got amid the crumbs at the bottom of your dirty pockets (see the event pages). Do chip in what you can for the promoters and talent: "PWYC" also stands for "Probably Wearing Yesterday's Clothing."
Here's where to go if you already spent your laundry change on food this week in Toronto.
- Nerdy Talk (Monday, Social Capital Studios)
- All White Party - Industry Night (Monday, River Gambler)
- Vegan/Vegetarian Comedy Potluck Extravaganza #6 (Monday, Loft404 Inspired Gatherings)
- Sedge and Bare Claws (Monday, Sneaky Dee's)
- Blue Coffee Reading Series #8 (Monday, Magpie Taproom)
- Summer CInema at Fort York - Ghostbusters (Tuesday, Fort York National Historic Site)
- MDFF presents Jake Mahaffy's WELLNESS (Tursday, Double Double Land)
- Don't Get Bored of Us and Leave (Tuesday, The Ossington)
- Blue Collar Beaver (Tuesday, The Beaver)
- 5th Annual Wild Blueberry Festival (Aug 20 - 24, Evergreen Brick Works)
- Music in St. James Park: Union Duke (Thursday, St. James Park)
- How to Get a Project Grant (Thursday, South Asian Visual Arts Centre)
- Movie in Liberty Village Park - Mrs. Doubtfire (Friday, Liberty Village Park)
- Black Beauty Breed film screening (Friday, TIFF)
- Nerdy Karaoke Party Hosted by Nerdy Toronto Polly Posse (Friday, Cardinal Rule)
- Tune Your Ride Bicycle Music Tour, Toronto Launch (Friday, Dufferin Grove Park)
- Fashion Friday (Friday, Market 707)
- cleo: vol. 2, issue 2 (Friday, Elevator)
- Bryan McPherson + WinnieBrave (Friday, Bar 1718)
- The 1893 Chicago World's Fair Hip-Hop Pavilion (Friday, Magpie Taproom)
- Festival of South Asia (Aug 23-24, Gerrard St. East)
- Bannister! Signing at Little Island Comics (Saturday, Little Island Comics)
- PAWS in the Park 2014 (Sunday, Woodbine Park)
- CPFF Days of Summer: Rear Window (Sunday, Christie Pits)
Also check out these regular free events
- Elvis Mondays at the Drake
- Foosball Battle Royale, Monday, Disgraceland
- Art Gallery of Ontario free evening, Wednesday, 6-8:30pm.
- IFOA Weekly, free for supporters, students, & youth under 26, Wednesday, Harbourfront Centre
- Skin of My Nuts Comedy Show, Thursday, Sonic Espresso Bar
- Canadian Opera Company's Free Concerts series
- While nearly all art galleries in the city are free to enter, it's worth noting The Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art (MOCCA) is always PWYC.
- The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) offers discounted tickets on Fridays ($10).
Do you want everyone to know about your kinda random free or pay-what-you-can event? Submit it to our event section. (You can also submit your for-money events here, greedy-pants.)