Here are the top ten can't-miss events in Toronto this month.
Church Street Halloween Block Party
The Church Street Halloween Parade is an annual tradition and one of your best bets for a proper start to this Friday's chaos. Church will close to traffic and go car free at 6:30pm, and from 9-11pm there will be a costume show in the park. Get ready to strut your gruesome stuff. If your dog is wearing a costume on Friday (or Pugoween) check out these handy Halloween costume safety tips - most of them apply to people, too. Oct 31, Church Street, 6:30pm.
For more Halloween events, see our Toronto Halloween Party Guide for 2014.
Then there are ghost tours and free films for those not feeling the gig vibe. The Toronto South African Film Festival also kicks off today, and as part of Startup Open House dozens of Toronto companies will open their doors to the public. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Music: Death To T.O. (Silver Dollar, Comfort Zone)
- Tech: Startup Open House
- Film: Weird Tales (TAIS Studio - 1411 Dufferin St, Unit)
- Halloween: Ghost Tour of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre
- Film: Free Horror Screening (Carlton Cinemas)
- Film: Toronto South African Film Festival (Miles Nadal JCC)
- Music: Sheezer Halloween (Lee's Palace)
- Art: thresholds (OCAD)
- Party: Queer As Fuck (Steady)
- Art: Canadian Art Foundation: Sarah Thornton (Eaton Theatre, Royal Ontario Musuem)
- Art: Festival of Performance Art (Artscape Youngplace)
- Lit: Marry Fuck Cuddle Tour (Type Books)
- Film: Tilt at the $5 Movies: Shaun of the Dead (TIFF Bell Light Box)
- Music: Os Tropies CreEPy Release and Halloween Party (Gladstone)
- Lit: Pivot (The Press Club)
- Music: Punk Rock Bingo (Beaver)
- Film: Rue Morgue & Unstable Ground present Little Terrors (Carlton Cinema)
- Art: Washi Wednesday (The Japanese Paper Place)
- Party: Spooky Tiki Speakeasy - Dia De Muertos Dance Party (Bovine Sex Club)
- Comedy: OUTrageous! With Robert Keller! -- The "Witch, Please!" (Yuk Yuks)
Today in Toronto: Slowdive, Steve Aoki, Rocky Horror, A Midsummer Nightmare, Ghost Stories Told Live
At the Danforth, UK shoegaze originators Slowdive are back together, and I melt to a strawberry ice cream puddle each time I think about it. But do you know what, secretly, in my uncool LED-lit bedroom confessional, I think I prefer Mojave 3. Shh. Low are also on the (sold out, best of luck with tix) bill. For more events, click on over to our events section.
Today in Toronto: Municipal Election, Business as Usual, Bloor Broadcast, Ex Hex + Speedy Ortiz, Snow, IFOA
Now that you're back from the polls, on tap today we have many rewards for your efforts: free cider samples, Ex Hex + Speedy Ortiz at the Horseshoe, the International Festival of Authors, and the debut screening of graphic novel turned film, Toronto-love-in Snow. I'll start with election events, though (from anti-Ford parties to trivia nights) because you might need a hand to squeeze. For more places to watch the election, click here. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Election: Newmindspace - Business as Usual, Folks - a post-election street party (City Hall)
- Election: Bloor Broadcast: Toronto Votes (Bloor Hot Docs)
- Election: Gladstone Presents - Eyes On the Election Viewing Party (Gladstone)
- Election: Election Night #FordNation #TOpoli Trivia and Results Party (Beaver)
- Film: SNOW: Film premiere and fundraising event (Revue)
- Comedy: outrageous xi: worst case ontario (The Central)
- Lit: IFOA (Harbourfront)
- Free Cider Samples: Go for Cornish Gold! (Bristol)
- Music: Ex Hex, Speedy Ortiz (Horseshoe Tavern)