Canadian International Air Show
Maybe I should let the Toronto Air Show (unofficial, I guess) Twitter take this one. "VYOOOOOWWW-WWWOOOOOOOR-SHHHHH!!!!" Whether you're planning to have your eyes on the sky or your energy devoted to complaining (via Twitter or IRL), one must admit that big flying machines are pretty cool. The 65th Toronto show will feature tons of noise polluting planes and jets with super neato names. How does one get to name a jet, anyway? August 30 - Sept 1, 1-4pm, Canadian National Exhibition (210 Princes Blvd).
Today in Toronto: Fan Expo, Cirque du Soleil, Beerprov, Live Band Karaoke, Field Trip Series, Judy Natal
Do you have want to sing your favourite Minor Threat / Miley Cyrus mash up? Let live karaoke band Good Enough join you tonight. Circuit Gallery @ Prefix ICA is hosting the opening of Judy Natal's Future Perfect photo exhibit, if you're looking for an intriguing art opening. If you just want us to give you indie rock, RSVP here to see Deebs, Imposters, Waxlimbs, and more at Tattoo thanks for Field Trip. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Geek: Fan Expo (Metro Toronto Convention Centre)
- Circus: Cirque du Soleil - KURIOS - Cabinet of Curiosities (Port Lands)
- Comedy: BeerProv presents "The Draft" (Comedy Bar)
- Music: Field Trip Discovery Series IV Ft. Deebs (Tattoo)
- Art: Judy Natal: Future Perfect (Circuit Gallery)
- Music: Live Band Karaoke (Parts & Labour)
- Party: Marcus Visionary presents Run Red (Thymeless)
- Film: Toronto Film School Festival of Films (Cineplex Odeon VIP Theatres)
None of this matters, though, because Chris Isaak is at Massey Hall. Sometimes I pretend I'm Chris Isaak. I lie back and imagine I recorded "Wicked Game." Forever Blue, with all its heavenly highs and lows and dirty highs and lows, was crafted by me, a conduit for greatness. I am divine. I am rolling on a beach with a beautiful model and appearing in Fire Walk With Me. I love myself as much as I am loved. A single tear falls on my guitar and pricks the night like a sparrow landing on a tin roof. For more events, click on over to our events section.
Headed to the CNE? The second-to-only appearance of a female on stage at the Bandshell is today! Check out PRTY H3RO with These Kids Wear Crowns and Eleven Past One. I can't actually promise this "Toronto based hip-hop-dance-rock trio" will be good, but it's the CNE - you'll be too high on fatty foods to know what's going on. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Community: Ashkenaz Festival (Harbourfront Centre)
- Music: Retro Futura Tour w/ Tom Bailey (Kool Haus)
- Dads/Moms: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (ACC)
- CNE/Music: These Kids Wear Crowns (CNE)
- Music: Castle If (811)
- Film: Summer Cinema at Fort York - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Fort York)
- Geek: IGDA Toronto Rant and Rave Night 2014 (OCAD)
- Art/Dinner: Eshan Rafi's TOUCHING / DIANA (Videofag)
Here's where to dance like your feet aren't walking into an early grave in Toronto this week.
Elvis Mondays is on at the Drake, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? will screen for free at David Pecaut Square thanks to TIFF. Belljar will host another record shop pop-up followed by live music and a screening of Picture Day with writer/director Kate Melville in attendance. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Music: Robyn + Royksopp (Echo Beach)
- Music: Elvis Monday (Drake)
- Film: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (David Pecaut Square)
- Lit: outrageous ix: autobiography of prince (Central)
- Film/Variety: so long summer special film screening - Picture Day (Belljar Cafe)