Here are my picks for the top events happening in Toronto March 6-8, 2015.
Happy Birthday Toronto (March 6, Steam Whistle Brewery)
Toronto turns 181 years old on Friday, which makes us more or less of a punk. Drink to our continuing history at the official bash at Steam Whistle, or stare out your window forlornly waiting for summer. Whichever sounds like more fun. Either way, bottoms up to the history of the 6.
Today in Toronto: Sushi Fest, I for Iran, Sketch Comedy Fest, Death to Vag Halen, FITF, Colin Boyd Shafer
The Sketch Comedy Festival kicks off today until March 15th, if your funny bone is hurting for attention. Future is the Future's online clothing shop for guys and gals is throwing a party, while, speaking of future, the new Fresh & Future weirdo electronic music series is back on Bloor at Bassline. On this month's line up are Sexy Merlin, Zoo Owl, Kovacevic, and Baalam x S/ck F/sh. Before 11pm both drinks and cover are $5. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Film: Sushi Festival (Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre)
- Film: I for Iran (TIFF)
- Music: Fresh & Future (Bassline)
- Comedy: Sketch Comedy Fest
- Music: Death to Vag Halen (Smiling Buddha)
- Art: The Wild Colin Boyd Shafer & Anna Sabrina Sopian (Black Cat)
- Music: Moon Duo (Silver Dollar)
- Music: Sam Cash & The RoDo (Cameron House)
But like. Stuff sucks, hey? Lean in to the winter. Tuck your head into Unlovable to hear all Morrissey, all night. Toronto has some fucked up monthlies, but this mad journey into Smiths territory might top the list. It's free, because no one would pay for this kind of misery. Or would they... Erotic story telling monthly and podcast Tell Me Something Good returns at the Gladstone, so your tantalizing/hilarious sexy stories will be rated by a panel of judges - finally. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Art: Aga Khan Museum Free Wednesdays Initiative (Aga Khan)
- Sadness: Smiths is Dead (Unlovable)
- Lit: Tell Me Something Good: March Sexy Storytelling (Gladstone)
- Comedy: Holodeck Follies (Social Capital)
- Lit: Brockton Writers Series (Full of Beans)
- Music: Liquid Karaoke (Bambi's)
- Comedy: The Red Panty Diaries (Comedy Bar)
- Dance: Zata Omm's vox:lumen (Harbourfront Centre)
- Free Movies: Movie Night at the Garrison (Garrison)
A memorial for murdered Toronto transwoman Sumaya Dalmar will begin at 6pm at At 519 Church. Then the Yes Yes Y'all DJs will host a gathering later tonight at Buddies in Bad Times. If you can't make it, there's a memorial fund online. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Music: St. Vincent (Danforth Music Hall)
- Film: Born in Gaza (Bloor Cinema)
- Film: Murnau's "Nosferatu" & Herzog's "Nosferatu the Vampyre" (Goethe-Institut)
- Art/Activism: You're Not Here (Daniels Spectrum)
- Film: Oscar Shorts: Animation (TIFF)
- Gathering/Memorial: In Loving Memory of Sumaya Dalmar: A Celebration of Life (519 Church Street)
- Gathering/Party: Yes Yes Y'all for Sumaya (Buddies in Bad Times)
Today in Toronto: Sleater-Kinney, Books on Film, Harry Potter Trivia, Chinese New Year Carnival, Michael Rault
Here's how to hang out in style in Toronto this week if you haven't got a stitch to wear.