Today in Toronto: Philippe Blanchard, The Vigil, Art Battle, Temples, Tightrope Books October Launch
Toronto artist Philippe Blanchard is showing large scale psychedelic installations in LUMIERE CONCRETE / STRUCTURED LIGHT over at Glendon Gallery at York University - worth the trip. For more events, click on over to our events section.
Early Monthly Segments is back at the Gladstone - and drunk as hell from the looks of it (it's definitely past the mid-month point, EMS), but we don't mind because the event is a thin strand holding the city's experimental film community together, tipsy with calendars or not. The films, and new book, of Gregory Markopoulos will be featured. For more events, click on over to our events section.
If you'd like to have fun on the cheap without having the pants scared off of you (I can't afford new pants either), the week holds tons of Hallo-whatever options. Showing up early to a book launch at Hashtag on Thursday will get you a free drink - then you can head to Philistine for free nail art, free shoe shines, free food, and free beer.
Here's how to live like you're not the economy's walking dead in Toronto this week.
Running might be the last thing you want to do to your body in the damp and cold of October, but this Sunday a marathon, half marathon, and various other walks and runs will go on by the lake with, or without you. Personally I'll be doing the stroller run with my pug in the buggy - high five me! No don't, I'm concentrating on the race. Register before Saturday at 6pm, or just show up to cheer from the sidelines. Info on the route of the various events can be found here. Never tired? Saturday's CN Tower stair climb is on too. Sunday, October 19, 8am - 3pm.
X Avant, the city's biggest and best exploration of experimental music, is back for its ninth year the Music Gallery and begins tonight with Laraaji & Diely Mori Tounkara and friends. Check out the full festival line up on the Music Gallery's website. Craft beer, music, and food trucks will be at Wychwood Barns until 11pm - you know what to do. For more events, click on over to our events section.
- Film: Toronto After Dark Film Festival (Scotiabank Theatre)
- Music: X AVANT IX (Music Gallery)
- Music: Blue Sky Miners, Them Dang Rattlers, Lowlands, Stonetrotter (Horseshoe Tavern)
- Film: Brazilian Film and TV Festival - BRAFFTV (Carlton Cinema )
- Art: Graham Collins & Jeremy Jansen (Cooper Cole)
- Comics: Jewish Comix Anthology Vol. 1: Book Launch Party (Artscape Youngplace)
- Food: OktoberFEAST 2014 (Artscape Wychwood Barns)
- Party: Queer As Fuck (Steady)
- Party: Rare Beef Presents CAKE-004 w/ Exeter, Mike Din & more (Drake)
- Theatre: The Rocky Horror Cabaret Show (Lower Ossington Theatre)
- Music: Indie Week Launch Party 2014 (Hideout)
- Music: Merchandise + Lower + Beliefs + Eaters (Wrongbar)
- Lit: Pivot (Press Club)
- Design: Sukkahville (Nathan Phillips Square)
- Lit: Coach House Books Fall 2014 Launch (Garrison)
- Film: Lilting (TIFF)
- Comedy: Live Comedy with Friends in Toronto (Comedy Bar)
- Music: Beach Season w. Bizzarh, DCF and Niko Chan (Smiling Buddha)