Monday, November 24, 2014Cloudy 7°C
Music

Has Drake renamed Toronto?

Posted by Aubrey Jax / July 18, 2014

Drake TorontoDrake is attention seeking again - or that's what my parents used to call it whenever I cried out for love. Amid dissing Macklesnore and gripping a Polaris shortlist nomination (has anyone told him yet?) the hip hop star / unofficial most important person in Toronto has renamed his hometown without consulting, seemingly, anybody.

While speculating what Drake's newly revealed album title Views From The 6 might mean, pieces were slowly put together by, according to BuzzFeed, "people" - Twitter users? - who deduced that "6" is the only common number shared by "416" and "647" area codes. Well, that and the "4." So is Toronto's new name "the 6" for realsies? Are we "in the 6" right now?

We know Drake shares rap's love of area code drops, but I don't think I buy the interpretation of the album title. Smooth talking Drizzy's not about to forget his east end girls with 905 numbers, first of all. Complex dished on these fake OVO billboards featuring "6" branding in the spring, which further muddies the situation.

Yet with our wayward mayor, one couldn't really be surprised to wake up tomorrow to find out that Drake has been allowed to re-brand the city on a whim. He saved the Raptors, didn't he? It's dry, but anything's an improvement over "Hogtown." Maybe Hogtown Vegan should rename themselves 6 Vegan - would you rather be reading blogThe6.com right now? Should Drake team up with spooky DETH Records for a "Triple 6" dance night in Kensington? Let us know in the comments.

Update: a tipster whom for whatever reason is too cool to comment on blogTO (but might have commented on blogThe6, right?) has informed us Drake's pal Jimmy Johnson originally coined the nickname. Good work, team Drake Watch.

Photo courtesty of Ron Turenne/NBA photos

joe shmoe / July 17, 2014 at 11:26 pm

who dat?

Red and Purple / July 17, 2014 at 11:28 pm
You know what it is.
Matthew Pinto / July 17, 2014 at 11:55 pm
YES!!! FROM DA 6... I'm ALL IN!
Freddy F / July 18, 2014 at 12:19 am
Drake who now?

Who cares what name some moron rapper pulls out of a hat and decides to call a city.
hpo / July 18, 2014 at 12:25 am
The 6 is actually a pretty logical nickname. Amalgamated Toronto comprises of 6 former municipalities (Toronto, Etobicoke, North York, East York, York and Scarborough). I like it.
tommy / July 18, 2014 at 12:39 am
Drake's east end girls are at the Markham Road exit, and are in Scarborough. Surely they don't have 905 numbers!
Ugh / July 18, 2014 at 03:41 am
Enough about Drake.
Joey / July 18, 2014 at 04:10 am
Has Drake renamed Toronto? No. This is all just conjecture.
Torontonian / July 18, 2014 at 06:19 am
Perhaps the 6 refers to the five cities
and one borough before amalgamation.
Drake for mayor / July 18, 2014 at 07:56 am
Imagine pretending you don't know who drake is made you feel good?
KevinN / July 18, 2014 at 08:22 am
I guess everyone forgot, or it too young or know, or is not knowledgeable to know that 'T-Dot' was branding by Kardinal Offishall years ago. So by this article I am assuming that this will now be a trend every 8-10 years.

I don't mind Drake, in fact I like him. What I never seem to understand is why people in Toronto never like or have a hard time supporting the elite level stars the city or surrounding city comes out with. Deadmau5, Bieber, Drake etc. in NY you have 1000% support for each star.
Legion Coleke replying to a comment from hpo / July 18, 2014 at 08:36 am
hpo nailed it- like the boroughs in new york, we were 6 former cities
he needs to consult Olivia Chow before making these decisions / July 18, 2014 at 08:50 am
Drake is part of the 1%
a corporate drake for everyone / July 18, 2014 at 08:53 am
The 1% in this city has embraced Drake because he is one of them yet has a connection with the youth.

Anyone know when Drake will be on the TSX?
Drake The Snake / July 18, 2014 at 09:00 am
I remember when this guy was being hailed as a lyrical genius who was pushing new territory, when he first made it big. Then I heard his music:

"You da fuckin' best [x4]
You da best I ever had,
Best I ever had [x3]
I say you da fuckin'..."

Wow, groundbreaking stuff. I'd rather jump off a building and catch my eyelid on a rusty nail half way down than listen to this guy. So typical of Toronto to strut around saying we have such a diverse musical culture and then prop this mediocrity up as our biggest musical export.
Josh / July 18, 2014 at 09:00 am
I like it.
Forest has 6 characters / July 18, 2014 at 09:02 am
Maybe the 6 is somekind of reference to the afluent Forest Hill neighborhood he grew up in.
Fan Fiction / July 18, 2014 at 09:03 am
The worst thing about this article is saying "for realsies" ....for realsies.
Brandon / July 18, 2014 at 09:08 am
Slow news day in the city I guess...
Franky / July 18, 2014 at 09:19 am
Don't think the name has anything to do with Toronto or renaming it... "views from the 6".. He's referring to views from a private jet, the gulfstream 6 or "G6"... he raps about G6s all the time.
deark replying to a comment from KevinN / July 18, 2014 at 09:29 am
Because Drake and Beiber are terrible and NY actually produces good music.
Curt / July 18, 2014 at 09:31 am
6 municipalities make up the MegaCity. I'm sure that's it.
Joseph / July 18, 2014 at 09:31 am
Hehehehehehe

>> Views From The 6 might mean, pieces were slowly put together by, according to BuzzFeed, "people" - Twitter users? - who deduced that "6" is the

That's some intense use of punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!~@!#$$!!!* :)
Johnson / July 18, 2014 at 09:32 am
I renamed Toronto Bonerville a while back, where is my article?
If / July 18, 2014 at 09:39 am
If I had even a slight chance of coin a new nickname for the City - I'd give it a shot.
BobX9 / July 18, 2014 at 09:46 am
How can anyone hate on a guy who went from being in a wheelchair on Degrassi to having acts like Eminem, Jay Z, Nas, Snoop Dogg, Stevie Wonder, TLC, Kanye, Puff Daddy go through customs and come to OUR CITY for a 20 minute set.

Yes, the 6 is a reference to the area codes 4 1 (6) 4 7
but also happens to work with the 6 former municipalities... although oddly enough the 6 former municipalities have never been referenced by drake and crew as being a possible reason
Drake is creating a better brand for the city / July 18, 2014 at 09:47 am
Wow... No wonder OVO refers to Toronto as the screw face capital. Ther are so many haters here and it's evident by this article and more so these comments. Drake is branding the city in better ways than our city officials ever could even if they spent 24/7/365 trying to do it. Drizzy has the influence to make or break Toronto... And I think he's doing a hell of a good job of making our city more prominent with everything he does... So give the guy a break. He's doing all of this for his love for Toronto... No one should require permission to do that!
Markham Rep replying to a comment from tommy / July 18, 2014 at 09:52 am
You're right- Scarborough is 416 and 647. Markham is 905, but the Markham exit is in Scarborough
Danny / July 18, 2014 at 09:59 am
OK, now I know what the heck Marcus Stroman is talking about every time he tweets "back in the 6"
Maybe not / July 18, 2014 at 10:04 am
Toronto actually has 3 area codes (437 just went into service), so the only number that is in common is 4. But "The 4" sounds stupid.
416 / July 18, 2014 at 10:05 am
no one is addressing that this album is CLEARLY A TRIBUTE TO JLO's turn of the millenium masterpiece, on the 6.
Go away / July 18, 2014 at 10:07 am
This article REEKS of hipster and it's beyond annoying. Fuck cares about Drake, anyways. Take your snooty humour (if you could even call it that) elsewhere.
Friar Canuck / July 18, 2014 at 10:08 am
What about area code 437? He's dissing all those kids in Grade 2 that just got a new cell phone.
Y'all share the same name / July 18, 2014 at 10:10 am
LOL
69 / July 18, 2014 at 10:18 am
he's referring to the 6 that is one half of a 69. Views from the 6
Todd Toronto / July 18, 2014 at 10:49 am
Uggh. Why is Toronto being represented on the world stage by a clean-cut, no rap-sheet, seemingly polite superstar who praises his hometown every opportunity he gets?! How horrible. No wonder people here are so upset.

Were we really all THAT worked up about "Started From the Bottom"?
drakeFromforesthill / July 18, 2014 at 11:03 am
905er for life! wiggins 905...bennett 905...thompson 905...ennis 905...stauskas 905!
Six of one / July 18, 2014 at 11:07 am
Chris replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / July 18, 2014 at 11:14 am
It's better than being represented by an obnoxious, incompetent, buffoon-like crack smoking, alcoholic, homophobic racist "mayor". Sorry, but Drake is a far better representative of this City than our "official" representative, any day.

Why the hate? Drake's a huge international star who happens to be from Toronto and isn't ashamed to say so (unlike many other Canadian stars who become successful and will often downplay their Canadian roots). You may not like his music, but, I'm puzzled as to why you're so bothered that he likes to talk about his hometown whenever he has the chance?

Besides, he's mostly harmless - he's no wannabe thug or out of control juvenile (i.e. Bieber) and lord only knows he's a much better reflection on TO than our idiot Mayor is.
Tina replying to a comment from KevinN / July 18, 2014 at 11:17 am
Thanks Kevin for recognizing this very important reason why most of our very talented stars have to blow up across the boarder before we (Canadians) show them any love! Thanks for also remembering that the T-Dot O was branded by Kardi. Kardi is also an ambassador for the city, and I think these trending marketing frenzies will enhance our city, in terms of an attraction, for tourists. So take a seat! All of you who are posting nothing but negativity, it's redundant and unproductively a waste of energy on your part. Furthermore I'm sure he doesn't need your permission......and Blog TO HMMMM.....I wander?!
No Decision Yet / July 18, 2014 at 11:20 am
I'm holding off and waiting to see what Georgio Mammoliti has to say about this first, then I will decide.
Little Dee / July 18, 2014 at 11:43 am
6 is also the number of areas we have in Toronto

1. Old Toronto
2. East York
3. Etobicoke
4. Scarborough
5. North York
6. York
shade / July 18, 2014 at 11:45 am
Aubrey Jax is weirdly salty about Aubrey Graham.
TJ / July 18, 2014 at 11:57 am
Negating the 905 where most of the population is is not a good idea. Way to divide the GTA Drake!
KevinN replying to a comment from deark / July 18, 2014 at 11:58 am
Take what you can get then. Or move to a small town city and see what they produce other than farming.
Andre replying to a comment from Freddy F / July 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Freddy,
Obviously Drake is a very talented, successful, intelligent artist. I'll assume you don't like his art, which is fine, but you don't have to go spewing your hate all over.
Andre replying to a comment from Little Dee / July 18, 2014 at 12:10 pm
amazing coloration.
Todd Toronto replying to a comment from Chris / July 18, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Umm, that was either a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part, or you missed it. I like Drake.
Aubrey replying to a comment from shade / July 18, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Sigh. Shade. Can't you see how much I love Drake. My pug has a toy pug named Drake! I joke a with the ones I love. You wouldn't get it... you're not world weary and soft as Dutch Dreams ice cream at heart like us Aubreys.
Eugene / July 18, 2014 at 01:14 pm
Really? going to spew this much hate about Drake because of what? The guy does nothing but support the city and you have nothing but negative things to say. I'm not the biggest Drake fan, but this article is just so negative for no reason.
support local replying to a comment from KevinN / July 18, 2014 at 01:19 pm
totally agree. It's not all of Toronto but there are a lot of sad losers, like deark for example. hate to use the old adage but haters exist and they earn their name.
shade replying to a comment from Aubrey / July 18, 2014 at 01:26 pm
Whoa, a voodoo dog toy? I guess there's only room for one Aubrey in the 6.
Tdot's Finest / July 18, 2014 at 02:00 pm
Good! Any nickname change to Toronto is better than anything white folks would name it. #FACT
James replying to a comment from Drake is creating a better brand for the city / July 18, 2014 at 02:17 pm
'Drizzy has the influence to make or break Toronto.' Please child. No. He doesn't. Your universe is too small. You're being dramatic.
Chris replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / July 18, 2014 at 02:51 pm
Not a bad attempt at all - I just missed it - my bad. Cheers.
craig / July 18, 2014 at 03:13 pm
Toronto new names: "NF - no fun", "2AM" ;)
Estelle / July 18, 2014 at 04:28 pm
Ah yes, people in Ottawa are in the 6, too. The 613!
mobb / July 18, 2014 at 04:29 pm
Saved the raptors? No. Just no, he's a poster boy. He doesn't execute anything related to team operations.
Required / July 18, 2014 at 05:25 pm
Views from the 6th floor balcony sheesh.

rename Toronto?.. um no, that was a guess/prank by a hack website. Do your research guys.

Canuck in Oz / July 18, 2014 at 08:13 pm
Good thing he wasn't from the Etobicoke and Mississauga border or he'd name it 69
Walter / July 18, 2014 at 08:31 pm
No idea who he is... So no.. We are not in the 6. So lame.
bigpunforever / July 18, 2014 at 09:41 pm
FUCK DRAKE.

"Hate the Drake." - George Costanza

Lisa / July 19, 2014 at 05:00 pm
As much as we hate to admit it Drake (and our idiot mayor) has put Toronto on the map. Traveling to Europe this summer has made that clear.

Though I don't know his music that well I like that he actually seems to enjoy this city enough to make references to it.
Whine-O-Matic / July 20, 2014 at 12:35 am
Oh, stop your griping, Toronto. Tall Poppy Syndrome is alive and well here; any success stories are quickly chopped down to size for becoming too uppity for the more prudish and self-loathing citizens who seem to forever dwell amongst us.
Pat / July 20, 2014 at 12:46 am
WHO?

The one with the very "talented" Public Relations staff and connections?
lolz @ "Aubrey Jax" / July 20, 2014 at 07:38 pm
Who is this puffed up amateur pencil pusher, anyway? Everything he/she writes is whiny, complaining and sneering. Drake is a successful musician known around the world. He has done more good PR work for this city than anyone else I can remember. Lapdog typists masquerading as journalists can bitch all they want, but one is a winner here, and one is a loser. Connect the dots to find out which is which.
Drake Supporter / July 20, 2014 at 10:32 pm
The 6 is winning! if you don't like it, get out of the 6. The 6 don't need you.
I wonder? / July 21, 2014 at 10:45 am
The writer reminds me of a lot of ex-Montrealers here who never stop the passive/aggressive put-downs about this city.
Biljo / July 21, 2014 at 10:52 am
The 6 is in reference to his 6th studio album. As in, "View from the 6" meaning the view from his type of lifestyle now that he has 6 albums out and is a more accomplished rapper (musician?).
Struth replying to a comment from I wonder? / July 21, 2014 at 01:40 pm
that made me laugh out loud. How true. Especially anglo-ex-Montrealers with a chip on their shoulders!
Sandman / July 22, 2014 at 09:01 am
We all know Drake will do something embarrassing & scandalous and the city of Toronto will have to distance themselves away from D-talentless...
Sadman / July 22, 2014 at 10:35 am
No, Sadman. That is what you think you "know". The rest of us are not as embittered and self-loathing as to waste time hoping local talent will fail.
When I read this article it occurred to me that there is something sad about watching people who have done nothing with their lives sit on the sideline and poke sticks at those who have in an effort to undermine them.
opensource1111 / July 22, 2014 at 01:25 pm
Views from the 6, as in views from the rear position, as in looking back (in time).
Self Conscious Torontonian / July 23, 2014 at 06:17 am
Hi I like Drake because he "big ups" where I chose to move to. This is important to me because reasons and lack of life experience.

Why are you all haters?
Too many self conscious types here / July 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Really sick of the insecure people who have moved here and feel they want to be on the "right side" of opinion by jumping on the bandwagon against any initiatives in this city, or any performers who come from here. Is there a city on the planet that works as hard as ours in undermining ourselves and pulling the rug out from under our own feet? Bunch of lemmings jostling each other to jump over the cliff first in order to show they are cooler-than-thou. Absolutely perverse and I've never seen this phenomenon as strong anywhere on the planet.
John replying to a comment from Matthew Pinto / July 23, 2014 at 10:33 pm
... chill dude
Liz / September 10, 2014 at 02:23 am
Haven't heard "The 6" being used in years but that's what we use to refer it TO as (Etobicoke, York, North York, (Old)Toronto, East York, and Scarborough.)
Denon / September 10, 2014 at 04:01 am
I hate drake. I just don't like his music, as a personal taste. That being said, even if he isn't solely responsible for the cities image as some suggest, he HAS done absolutely nothing negative and everything positive he can to promote us.

Toronto puts Canada in the G7.
Tiff is now arguably the largest film fest in the world, ahead of even Cannes.
We are the most multi cultural city in the world.
We have the most used transit system in NA after only NYC and Mexico Ciy, both of which are over 4 times our size.
The educational and scientific advancements from the GTA are world class and world leading (quantum development at waterloo, medicine in toronto, etc).

And yet, for some reason, as many people have again pointed out, everyone loves to hate on Toronto! God, what a bunch of spoiled assholes we must be to hate on a city that is literally one of the best in the world. I hate Drakes music personally, but I respect him immensely for representing the city that he, and other world class talent, innovation, and people come from - especially when other artists don't. Why do we feel the need to lower ourselves? I believe we live in a truly great city (that like any others has it's problems), and I'm glad that one of our most internationally recognized talent exports agrees.
Mike / September 10, 2014 at 06:29 am
It means view from the back. The 6 is reference to a position on clock. Have you ever heard of someone is on your 6 that means they are behind you...

Good theories though....... :/
young spita / September 26, 2014 at 11:00 am
I dont understand all these haters for drake and justin bieber. Right now drake is taking over the rap world and justin bieber became one of the greatest a long time ago. Idk the reason why people dont like bieber maybe its because he sings and doesnt rap, he gets money, he gets a lot of girls, and thats probably everything you ever wanted. Just by looking at his videos you guys envy him. Im not gonna say im a fan but you will find a couple of his songs in my phone. As for drake, i mean come on!! Drake is the nastiest rapper alive right now. Triple playinum singles, platinum albums and so much money you cant even imagine, but i understand how some people hate on him since some people dont consider him a rapper more of a r&b singer, but either way hes still good at what he does. Im a fan of drake, but i honestly dont knoe what he means by #6 i honestly dont but even if it is about changing the citys name it doesnt really matter because im pretty sure he cant just change it himself and if the mayor agrees to change the name cuz of drake thats just acknwoledging that he deserves it. So just stop with the hating , some of you wish you were justin bieber or drizzy..
shovel knight / November 14, 2014 at 04:39 pm
Despite the many studies by progressive think tanks,
comparisons of the free-market system in the United States and single-payer systems, such as in Canada, are repeatedly proven to have their share of problems.
The glare of the goblin sparks partially blinded him.
Can you not see that the whole thing is brought about through the craft of the devil.