Sunday, December 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 1°C
Music

Lee's Palace and Horseshoe say g'bye to Ticketmaster

Posted by Jesse Ship / January 17, 2013

TicketflyWith Collective Concerts inking a deal with Ticketfly the newly arrived American online ticketing giant, two key Toronto venues, Lee's Palace and The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern, both run by Collective Concerts, will be saying g'bye to the dated Ticketmaster sales system.

What's Ticketfly you might ask? Well, it's basically an online ticket sales platform that empowers event promoters with social media services, sales outlets, analytics, microsites and a bunch of other handy features.

Apparently Jeff Cohen of Collective Concerts has been eager to move since he met the Ticketfly crew at SXSW almost two years ago.

"Jeff learned that a bunch of his contemporaries in the US were using the platform," CEO Andrew Dreskin told me from their annual FlyCon in San Francisco "and it was seen as the most progressive and forward thinking one. He fell in love with the technology and said to us, 'You know what? You're not in Canada yet, but I don't care, I like you. We're going to make a deal.' And that's literally how it went down."

Since the boom in EDM (yes I hate the term as much as the rest of you, so don't get me started) festivals, Ticketfly has seen some very interesting stats in neon-slathered show goers. Apparently they tyically buy single tickets, rather than in pairs, and they are three times more likely to buy via Facebook mobile than other genres. No surprise there as fits perfectly with the "digital" nature of the beats. With all the social media bells and whistles in Ticketfly, Facebook will let you know what shows all the "cool kids" in your friends list are going to.

Also on board are Inertia Entertainment, Ontario's largest heavy metal promoters and Union Events, (who in recent years have acquired Toronto's REMG) and rank #48 worldwide as event promoters according to Pollstar.

Dreskin is no stranger to the live concert experiences. Along with creating Ticketweb, one of the very first online ticket sales services back in 1995, he's also responsible for bringing VirginFest to North America which is still going strong, unlike the dearly departed Toronto edition.

Along with a high level of social media and digital integration, Ticketfly claims to have lower service charge fees, making enjoying shows easier on our wallets too. But listen up, Ticketfly is expanding, so if you're a show promoter or booker, you might want to take a click and see what all the buzz is about.

For more on Ticketfly's arrival in Canada, check out this video.

Mark / January 17, 2013 at 11:18 am
I noticed on my Killing Joke tickets. I was wondering what was up with that. Thanks!
Syn / January 17, 2013 at 11:22 am
Or you can get your butt to a local shop and support them by buying tickets there.
FrigginMitch replying to a comment from Syn / January 17, 2013 at 11:29 am
Fuck Soundscapes
Mark replying to a comment from Syn / January 17, 2013 at 11:29 am
I got mine from Rotate This. I've also wondered why the service fees are nearly negligible when you're buying Ticketmaster (or TicketFly in this case) tickets from a local shop.
brup / January 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Always buy tickets from your local shop. Ticketbastard is for suckers!
Dave M / January 17, 2013 at 01:23 pm
So long as they stick with printed tickets, I'm cool with it. I hate this push towards using your phone as a ticket.
Coll Con / January 17, 2013 at 01:49 pm
Hi all -

Tickets will still be available at Rotate and Soundscapes like always - this is just a new option for online sales.

scottd / January 17, 2013 at 06:35 pm
I wish this story had some actual content.I guess I will watch the video.
Toronto Jim / January 18, 2013 at 04:41 pm
First off Inertia does not sell tickets at Soundscapes. (Just talked to them on the phone.)
Don't like the attitude at Rotate This but it is the only place to buy tickets for Living Color.
Ticketfly wants 2 dollars facility fee and 8 dollars service fee for two tickets.
Still seems like a high price since they do not have hard tickets either. You have to print out a PDF, no other option.
Just saying.
Toronto Jim replying to a comment from FrigginMitch / January 18, 2013 at 04:48 pm
Your an ass. Rotate This is the one you should be raggin on.
handfed / January 19, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Ticketmaster (and possibly Ticketfly) is a scam, and has been the subject of lawsuits in the US. I don't know why Canadians put up with these crooks.