Toronto Concerts, November 2012
Toronto concerts worth knowing about in November, 2012.
November in Toronto is a bit of a trip back to the late 60s / early 70s with The Who, Bob Dylan and Neil Young all passing through our suddenly cold city. Of course there's the usual barrage of up and comers as well — DIANA, Mac DeMarco and Paper Diamond are acts garnering significant attention right now, despite their relative youth. Halloween might be over but that just means you have to look out for the November Witch. You're weird if you know what that means. I'm not going to talk about moustaches, and I already touched on the weather so there isn't much else to say. Concert listings, here we come!
SHEEZER / NOVEMBER 2 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $10
Join the world's first all-girl Weezer cover band (don't worry — The Blue Album and Pinkerton only) for their 3rd annual Halloween party. The 31st might've passed, but this is another opportunity to stress over what to wear (hint: fisherman apparently doesn't translate well even when you carry around a paper cut-out fish) and let inhibitions fly! Pins and Needles, a band spawned from this year's Girls Rock! Camp will open along with Planet Creature.
CRYSTAL CASTLES WITH KONTRAVOID / NOVEMBER 3 / 8PM / KOOL HAUS / $41
Ethan Kath and Alice Glass have a new album out November 12th (previously slated for the 5th), some of which you can stream right here. Recorded in Warsaw and produced entirely by Kath, the album explores various themes of oppression and hopelessness. FUN.
AIMEE MAN / NOVEMBER 6 / 7PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $27.50-32.50
Obviously peaking with "Time Stands Still" backing vocals in 1987, Mann also appeared as a German nihilist in The Big Lebowski. Going on that information alone, it's fair to say she's the coolest person in the entire world — but if you must know: she's also released eight solo albums including Charmer, released just a couple months ago.
DAN DEACON / NOVEMBER 9 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $13.50
The American Rich Aucoin, Deacon's performances involve a ton of audience participation and interactivity. He released America back in August, featuring the single "True Thrush" which spawned one of the most fun videos EVER — it also gives you an idea of what kind of vibe to expect at his show.
AMANDA PALMER / NOVEMBER 9 / 8PM / THE PHOENIX / $20
Half of The Dresden Dolls, former eight foot bride and all-round theatrical wizard, Palmer brings her Grand Theft Orchestra to the Phoenix on the eighth. Expect not quite a concert and not quite a theatrical performance but something in between.
NOT DEAD YET: FUCKED UP WITH DIANA / NOVEMBER 9 / 8PM / THE GREAT HALL / PWYC
The first installment of Fucked Up's Long Winter Series, this night features one of the first Toronto performances by DIANA. In addition to the music there will also be dance, visual art, food, readings and maybe an army of Damien's. If that weren't enticing enough, it's pay what you can and all ages.
THE HELIO SEQUENCE / NOVEMBER 12 / 8:30PM / THE HORSESHOE / $12
Made up of Brandon Summers and Benjamin Weikel from Portland, Oregon, they are in the running for "Nerdiest Band Name Ever." They've just released their fifth full-length Negotiations but I can't stop listening to "Hallelujah" from 2008's Keep Your Eyes Ahead.
ARMY GIRLS WITH ELK / NOVEMBER 14 / 7:30PM / THE GARRISON / $8
As if we haven't talked about DIANA enough today, singer Carmen Elle's band Army Girls plays with ELK on the 14th. I can't help but think of Land of Talk when I hear them but Land of Talk is dead so thanks Army Girls for being there. I heard "My Kin" on The L.A. Complex once and lost my shit. I mean, a friend told me they were watching the show and heard it. Not me.
MAC DEMARCO WITH COUSINS / NOVEMBER 14 / 8PM / THE DRAKE / $10
Montreal-based DeMarco joins Halifax-based Cousins. DeMarco creates a woozy blend of soft-rock, 70s glam and a certain jangly guitar sound that reminds me of Real Estate but which I refuse to call "yacht rock." And Cousins, well, they're just kind of the the fucking best.
NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE / NOVEMBER 19 / AIR CANADA CENTRE / 7PM / $TBA
Neil Young is 66 years old and this year he's released his 34th and 35th albums — what have you done today? The most recent, Psychedelic Pill, could've just as easily been released in the late 60s/early 70s, in fact, the title track is reminescent of "Cinnamon Girl" herself.
...AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF DEAD / NOVEMBER 20 / LEE'S PALACE / 9PM / $18.50
Their name has been scaring (my) mom(s) since the late 90s and their fist-pumping brand of rock has been making people move for just as long. Touring in support of their 8th studio album, Lost Songs, they've dedicated the track "Up to Infinity" to Pussy Riot and the first single "Catatonic" doesn't stray far from their roots even after all these years.
OTHER NOTEWORTHY CONCERTS
- JOSHUA RADIN AND A FINE FRENZY / NOVEMBER 1 / 7PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $28.50-$32.50
- DIE ANTWOORD AND AZARI & III / NOVEMBER 1 / 8PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $35
- SQUAREPUSHER / NOVEMBER 2 / 9PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $27.50
- THE WEEKND / NOVEMBER 2, 3, 4 & 5 / 8PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $34.50-75
- MATT MAYS / NOVEMBER 2 / 7PM / THE PHOENIX / $22.50
- NELS CLINE & ZEENA PARKINS AND LUKE DOUCET & WHITE FALCON / NOVEMBER 2 / 9PM / THE GREAT HALL / $25-75
- DIGITS / NOVEMBER 3 / 5PM / JUNE RECORDS / FREE
- KAKI KING / NOVEMBER 4 / 8PM / RIVOLI / $18
- GREAT BIG SEA / NOVEMBER 4 / 6:30PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $49.50-69.50
- ALBERT LEE / NOVEMBER 4 / 3PM / THE GREAT HALL / $24-75
- GROUPLOVE / NOVEMBER 5 / 7:30PM / THE PHOENIX / $24
- THE SCRIPT / NOVEMBER 6 / 7:30PM / THE SONY CENTRE / $34.50-44.50
- THE WALLFLOWERS / NOVEMBER 6 / 7:30PM / THE PHOENIX / $32.50
- DETHKLOK / NOVEMBER 7 / 6PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $39.50
- MELISSA ETHERIDGE / NOVEMBER 7 / 7PM / MASSEY HALL / $35-100
- MEN WITHOUT HATS / NOVEMBER 7 / 8PM / LEE'S PALACE / $13.50
- SUM 41 / NOVEMBER 8 / 7PM / THE PHOENIX / $24.50
- MARTHA WAINWRIGHT / NOVEMBER 8 / 7PM / THE GREAT HALL / $25
- TOM FUN ORCHESTRA / NOVEMBER 8 / 9PM / THE HORSESHOE / $10
- NOT DEAD YET: THE MEN / NOVEMBER 9 / 7PM / THE HOXTON / $16.50
- MATTHEW DEAR / NOVEMBER 9 / 11PM / THE HOXTON / $15
- YEASAYER / NOVEMBER 9 / 8PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $22.50
- BASSNECTAR / NOVEMBER 10 / 10PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $31.50
- THE DARCYS / NOVEMBER 10 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $10
- SARAH NEUFELD / NOVEMBER 10 / 8PM / THE DRAKE / $12
- JARVIS CHURCH / NOVEMBER 10 / 8PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $18
- TAME IMPALA / NOVEMBER 12 / 7PM / THE PHOENIX / $20
- LYDIA LUNCH RETROVIRUS WITH YAMATANKA//SONIC TITAN / NOVEMBER 12 / 8PM / WRONGBAR / $25
- HUSKY / NOVEMBER 12 / 8PM / THE DRAKE / $12
- MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK / NOVEMBER 13 / 7PM / THE MOD CLUB / $23.50
- THE FRESH & ONLYS / NOVEMBER 14 / 10PM / PARTS & LABOUR / $13
- BOB DYLAN / NOVEMBER 14 / 6:30PM / AIR CANADA CENTRE / $39.50-124.50
- PLANTS AND ANIMALS WITH PARLOVR / NOVEMBER 15 / 8:30PM / THE GREAT HALL / $15
- DARK STAR ORCHESTRA / NOVEMBER 15 / 8PM / THE DANFORTH MUSIC HALL / $26.50-36.50
- OF MONSTERS AND MEN / NOVEMBER 15 & 16 / 7PM / KOOL HAUS / $25
- THE SUPER FRIENDZ WITH MELIGROVE BAND / NOVEMBER 16 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $15
- DANKO JONES / NOVEMBER 16 / 7PM / THE MOD CLUB / $20
- PAPER DIAMOND / NOVEMBER 16 / 9PM / WRONGBAR / $20
- CUNNINLYNGUISTS / NOVEMBER 17 / 8PM / THE OPERA HOUSE / $20
- NUJAZZ FESTIVAL: BILLY MARTIN & WIL BLADES DUO / NOVEMBER 17 / THE GREAT HALL / $25
- KREAYSHAWN / NOVEMBER 18 / THE HOXTON / 8PM / $22
- THE TWILIGHT SAD / NOVEMBER 18 / THE HORSESHOE / 8PM / $13.50
- DEATH GRIPS / NOVEMBER 18 / WRONGBAR / 9PM / $15
- A$AP ROCKY / NOVEMBER 19 / SOUND ACADEMY / 8PM / $33.50
- HENRY ROLLINS / NOVEMBER 19, 20 & 21 / GLENN GOULD STUDIO / 7PM / $30
- PINBACK / NOVEMBER 21 / LEE'S PALACE / 8PM / $16.50
- SLOAN / NOVEMBER 22 / THE PHOENIX / 7PM / $26.50
- MACKLEMORE AND RYAN LEWIS / NOVEMBER 23 / SOUND ACADEMY / 7PM / $21.50
- THE WHO / NOVEMBER 23 / AIR CANADA CENTRE / 7PM / $37-127
- GWAR / NOVEMBER 24 / SOUND ACADEMY / 7PM / $32.50
- METRIC WITH STARS / NOVEMBER 24 / AIR CANADA CENTRE / 7PM / $34.50-49.50
- MALAJUBE / NOVEMBER 24 / THE HORSESHOE / 9PM / $15
- THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM / NOVEMBER 25 / SOUND ACADEMY / 7PM / $39.50
- BIG WRECK / NOVEMBER 26 / MASSEY HALL / 7PM / $40.50-50.50
- TITUS ANDRONICUS / NOVEMBER 27 / LEE'S PALACE / 8PM / $18.50
- XAVIER RUDD / NOVEMBER 28 / THE PHOENIX / 7PM / $32.50
- KING COBB STEELIE / NOVEMBER 29 / THE HORSESHOE / 8:30PM / $10
- DIAMOND RINGS / NOVEMBER 29 / THE MOD CLUB / 7PM / $18.50
- TNGHT WITH BADBADNOTGOOD / NOVEMBER 29 / THE OPERA HOUSE / 9PM / $24.50
- GREAT BLOOMERS / NOVEMBER 30 / THE HORSESHOE / 9PM / $10
- LIMBLIFTER / NOVEMBER 30 / LEE'S PALACE / 9PM / $18.50
Photo by Frank Hamilton on Flickr