Toronto Concerts, December 2012
Toronto concerts worth knowing about in December, 2012.
December is pretty much the most stressful time of year, especially for overly anxious types like myself. 1) Where did the sun go? 2) It's the Holidays (need I say more?) 3) I have to move three times this month (oops, that's just a me-thing!) 4) There's that looming suspicion that you won't become a better version of yourself in the new year. And the worst part is...there aren't even that many shows to distract us from all this, um, cheer.
Jason Collett's Basement Revue will at least help out with four shows — three of which are at the usual venue (The Dakota) and one of which will take place at the more expansive and thus aptly named Great Hall. And Joel Plaskett pitches in by playing like 15 nights at The Horseshoe (I think he's pretty good, but are there really that many JP fans west of Halifax?). Alas, the shows I'm looking forward to the most — Pink Mountaintops and Japandroids — happen to fall on the same night. Of course they do. Holiday karma just fucking sucks.
THE WOODEN SKY / DECEMBER 1 / 8PM / THE PHOENIX / $17.50
Did you know they used to be called "Friday Morning's Regret"? Guess what their Friday morning regret is? Changing their name. Errrrrrr. This will be their biggest hometown show ever as they celebrate the release of Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun. Email me if you know what that means.
GENTLEMEN REG W/ARMY GIRLS / DECEMBER 2 / 8PM / THE GLADSTONE / $10
Reg Vermue is truly a gentlemen (and a lady as Light Fires) and he makes incredibly catchy tunes. He'll be celebrating the release of his latest full length — Leisure Life. Army Girls (featuring Carmen Elle of DIANA ) are opening, and they just so happen to be stellar live, so I'll see you there, OK?
PATRICK WATSON W/THE BARR BROTHERS / DECEMBER 6 / 7PM / MASSEY HALL / $24.50-35
This man writes and performs such powerful songs that I get teary regardless of whether or not I'm PMSing! He won the second ever Polaris Prize in 2007 and his latest release Adventures in Your Own Backyard will make 2012's shortlist or I'll stop making jokes about my period. (Editors note: We can only hope that the one isn't actually contingent upon the other).
JASON COLLETT'S BASEMENT REVUE / DECEMBER 6, 13, 20 (THE GREAT HALL) & 27 / 10PM / THE DAKOTA / $25
Now in its sixth year, the Basement Revue is truly a unique arts experience. Previously hosted exclusively at the Dakota, due to increased demand, they're holding one night at The Great Hall this year. But despite the extra capacity, Collett & friends have a way of making most spaces feel intimate. Plus the bigger venue just means that more people will get to experience whatever amazing guests and performances he has lined up, so don't be a whiny selfish baby.
JAPANDROIDS / DECEMBER 11 / 8PM / THE PHOENIX / $18
Two shitheads (in the best way) from Vancouver are coming all the way to Toronto to see you — so don't stand them up. Their most recent record Celebration Rock was on the Polaris shortlist, so that means a lot to a lot of people (ME included). Don't get them confused with Japanther, which I never do.
PINK MOUNTAINTOPS / DECEMBER 11 / 8:30PM / THE GARRISON / $15
This is when your month gets confusing because these dudes (and gals) have also come all the way from British Columbia to see you, and you'd similarly be a fool to stand them up. If you like Black Mountain a lot or even Lightening Dust — you should be at this show. Another good way to decide is to ask yourself: "Beer or mushrooms?" Just kidding, you can have both.
DIANA W/YACHT CLUB / DECEMBER 13 / 9PM / THE PISTON / $5
Prediction: potentially one of the sexiest shows of the year. When Carmen Elle sings "Born Again" I want to take my clothes off, but then my cat is like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh" and I'm like "sorry bye!" I don't think DIANA have chosen a label just yet, so go see them before they blow up in your face.
ANDY KIM CHRISTMAS SHOW W/SLOAN, KEVIN DREW & BRENDAN CANNING & MORE / DECEMBER 13 / 8PM / THE PHOENIX / $25
OK, so Andy Kim is kind of the shit and so is his co-host Ron Sexsmith, and Sloan and those Broken Social Scene dudes are pretty OK and oh — Arts & Crafts newbies Snowblink, Dan Mangan and Sam Roberts will also be there, so maybe this will be awesome?
FUCKED UP'S LONG WINTER VOL 2 / DECEMBER 14 / 8PM / THE GREAT HALL / PWYC
The first installment was great and weird and confusing, so I have high hopes for the second. "Stay tuned" for more details on Monday. They've been promised to us.
THE WHITE WIRES / DECEMBER 21 / 10PM / PARTS & LABOUR / $8
They're from Ottawa (bleh) and play dirty 60s-inspired garage rock (yay!). Their lyrics are as horrible as Best Coast ("I have a boyfriend/it's summer/the beach/I don't have a boyfriend/sad), but — what the hell? — it's cold and stupid out and maybe it's better to sing "Let's Go to the Beach!" rather than kill the in-laws.
- JUSTIN BIEBER / DECEMBER 1 / 7PM / ROGERS CENTRE / $29.50-95
- MOTHER MOTHER W/HANNAH GEORGAS / DECEMBER 1 / 7PM / KOOL HOUSE / $30
- KELLY HOGAN / DECEMBER 1 / 8PM / DRAKE HOTEL / $15.50
- OHBIJOU / DECEMBER 1 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $15
- MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS / DECEMBER 3 / 7PM / KOOL HAUS / $25
- JEM COHEN: WE HAVE AN ANCHOR W/GUY PICCIOTTO (FUGAZI) AND MORE / DECEMBER 4 & 5 / 8PM / TIFF BELL LIGHTBOX / $30-50
- BAND OF HORSES / DECEMBER 5 / 7PM / MASSEY HALL / $42.50-49.50
- SIMONE FELICE / DECEMBER 5 / 8PM / DRAKE HOTEL / $12.50
- RIFF RAFF / DECEMBER 6 / 8PM / THE HOXTON / $15
- IAN HUNTER & THE RANT BAND / DECEMBER 7 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / $39.50
- THE TREWS / DECEMBER 7 / 7PM / ENWAVE THEATRE, HARBOURFRONT CENTRE / $41.75
- HOODIE ALLEN / DECEMBER 7 / 8PM / THE PHOENIX / $22
- THE WATCHMEN / DECEMBER 7 / 9PM / THE HORSESHOE / $26.50
- CONOR OBERST / DECEMBER 8 / 7:15PM / MASSEY HALL / $39.50-69.50
- THE TREWS / DECEMBER 8 / 7PM / ENWAVE THEATRE, HARBOURFRONT CENTRE / $41.75
- U.S.S. W/THE JOHNSTONES & THE BALCONIES / DECEMBER 8 / 7PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $20
- KIM STOCKWOOD / DECEMBER 8 / 6PM / HUGH'S ROOM / $20
- THE FAINT W/TRUST & ICKY BLOSSOMS / DECEMBER 11 / 7PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $23.50
- ST.LUCIA W/GOLD FIELDS / DECEMBER 11 / 8PM / DRAKE HOTEL / $12
- HAWKSLEY WORKMAN / DECEMBER 12 / 7PM / TRINITY ST. PAUL'S / $35
- KILLSWITCH ENGAGE / DECEMBER 12 / 7PM / THE OPERA HOUSE / $20.02
- CAMP LO / DECEMBER 12 / 8PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $15
- SLIM TWIG AND U.S. GIRLS / DECEMBER 13 / 9PM / THE SILVER DOLLAR / $8
- MONSTER TRUCK W/THE DIRTY NIL AND INDIAN HANDCRAFTS / DECEMBER 14 / 8:30PM / LEE'S PALACE/ SOLD OUT
- THE FLATLINERS / DECEMBER 14 / 7:30PM / THE OPERA HOUSE / $18.50
- ODONIS ODONIS W/UNFINISHED BUSINESS / DECEMBER 14 / 9PM / POLYHAUS / $7
- SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO / DECEMBER 14 / 10PM / THE HOXTON / $15
- TOKYO POLICE CLUB / DECEMBER 15 / 8PM / SOUND ACADEMY / $22.50
- THE KILLERS W/TEGAN AND SARA / DECEMBER 15 / 7PM / AIR CANADA CENTRE / $39.50-65
- MONSTER TRUCK W/RITUALS AND TEENAGE KICKS / DECEMBER 15 / 9PM / LEE'S PALACE / SOLD OUT
- JOEL PLASKETT EMERGENCY / DECEMBER 12 & 13 & 14 & 15 & 16 / 8:30PM / THE HORSESHOE / $25-29.50
- THE SKYDIGGERS / DECEMBER 21, 22 / 9PM / THE HORSESHOE / $25
- LUNICE W/THUGLI / DECEMBER 21 / 9PM / THE HOXTON / $15
- CITY AUDACITY W/YACHT CLUB, BACKDOOR LIGHTSHOW / DECEMBER 21 / 7PM / HARD LUCK / $12
- ZED'S DEAD / DEC 22 / 10PM / KOOL HAUS / $20
- Flosstradamus / DEC 28 / 10PM / THE HOXTON / TBA
- Rusty / DEC 28 / 9PM / THE HORSESHOE / $15
- Alexisonfire with MONEEN (26th), FUCKED UP (27th), MONSTER TRUCK (28th) / DEC 26-29 / 7PM / SOUND ACADEMY / SOLD OUT
- CUFF THE DUKE / DEC 29 / 9PM / THE HORSESHOE / $18.50
Photo by Roberto Taddeo on Flickr