Sunday, October 26, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C
Music

Danforth Music Hall gets more concert-friendly

Posted by Erin Scholz / September 21, 2012

Danforth Music HallThe Danforth Music Hall is set to be revamped by owner/operator Impresario Inc. They've switched up the seating to make the Hall easily convertible from general admission (holding about 1400 people) to soft seating (a little over 1100). Could this be a sign of better things to come for the near century-old venue?

The Music Hall has seen it's fair share of trouble. In 2004 it closed down for over a year and a half, left to deteriorate almost beyond repair. It was bought up by new owners and, after massive renovations, stayed open until 2010 when it was once again shuttered on account of back rent. It then reopened this past December under new ownership, though the bookings weren't exactly as robust as the operators must have hoped for. With this new renovation, the historic theatre seems set to continue its comeback.

More renovations are rumoured to be in the works, and it should be exciting to see what comes of the changes. Bottom line: the new seating options mean much more live music is in store for this beautiful building. And yet, given their convertibility, there should still be plenty of opportunity to host events better suited to a theatre-like setting. Upcoming events include Swedish sister-act First Aid Kit, DJ Shadow and his instrumental hip hop, and a lecture by author, inventor, mad genius Ray Kurzwell on October 18th. Visit their site for more listings.

Correction notice: An earlier version of this article misstated the general admission capacity of the venue and attributed the renovation effort to Embrace Presents. This information has been updated.

Photo courtesy of Impresario Inc.

KingPete / September 21, 2012 at 09:24 am
Oddly enough, I am listening to First Aid Kit as I read this post. I saw City and Colour here a few years ago and it was fantastic. Hopefully it can become a permanent fixture in the theatre-styled concerts in TO
Blair Carrigan / September 21, 2012 at 09:56 am
Motorhead & Anvil back in '82.. Great memories..
Aaron / September 21, 2012 at 10:10 am
I just went to see Walk Off The Earth last night! It's a great venue for live music... The slanted floor allows for great sightlines, and I thought the sounds was great (although I know VERY little about acoustics)
Asher Packard / September 21, 2012 at 10:14 am
Arguably the best venue in the city. Seen Beirut, Owen Pallet and Arcade Fire here and at multiple other Toronto venues... each band's Danforth Music Hall performance topped the others by miles.

Embrace always had good taste in music, now we know they have good taste in venues too. Good on 'em.

James / September 21, 2012 at 10:15 am
Had I known these renovations were in place (soft seating), I would've hit up the Bloc Party show a couple weeks back.
Buster Wolf / September 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm
Great move. I saw Purity Ring and the Dirty Projectors there a couple of months ago and although the sound was great, the seating was just totally inappropriate for the concert. Everybody just ended up crowding in front anyway.

I'd also like to see the WestJet Stage at the Harbourfront Centre undergo a similar transformation, but I understand that there's opposition to this from management for some reason.
Gabe / September 22, 2012 at 11:45 pm
Beastie Boys charity concert! Awesome Show Beasties at the Danforth!
Gabe replying to a comment from Gabe / September 22, 2012 at 11:55 pm
ACTUALLY my mistake I didn't see the Beastie Boys at the Danforth Music Hall they never played there. I saw them play at the Palladium at 635 Danforth Ave by Pape. Still an awesome show!

Jessica / September 25, 2012 at 02:03 pm
Danforth Music Hall great ! went watched a few concerts there. want some free to tickets to clubs tho check out Lazyrich.ca
great DJ and if you fil out the forum you get free club tickets to ivy etc !
Travis / December 6, 2013 at 07:41 pm
Scored tickets for AN EVENING W/ZAKK WYLDE (Row AA, seats 13-14, dead centre, front row!) & was worried there was no seating till I asked a couple of other guys in line if there was & they said yeah. Last BLS show that I attended was @ Sound Academy was all drunk/rowdy kids (I was 43) & I vowed "NO MORE BARS OR SHOWS W/O SEATS!"! Really looking forward to this Zakk Wylde show w/nice soft seats cause it's gonna be an acoustic show anyway. Plus, 1,100 people is close & intimate. And I've got front row centre floors, so NOBODY can block my view! I'm a HAPPY boy!!! Lol! Can't wait!!