Friday, November 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy -2°C
Music

Jeffree Star Covers Up

Posted by Ryan C / June 29, 2007

Copyright 2007, Ryan Couldrey
Since Jeffree Star's now infamous incident of violence at his Pride set on Saturday June 23, a lot has been happening behind the scenes. At first Star celebrated the fact that he stood up to the haters and bragged about it on his MySpace blog, copying the original article in its entirety and then adding a paragraph of his own where he says "I don't give a fuck who has a vagina or a dick.. NO ONE fucks with me, end of story".

On Sunday I updated the original story with new information gleaned from sources involved with Pride Toronto. What I heard was that Star freely admitted, out loud and within earshot of a Pride Toronto worker, that he knowingly hit a girl who wasn't throwing anything at him but had merely given him the finger. Several hours later Star's blog entry was removed without an explanation.

Regardless of whether or not Star hit someone who threw something at him or if it was someone who merely gave him the finger, him and his handlers found themselves stuck in the middle of a public relations nightmare. With the blog entry and bragging gone, along with the fact that he'd been telling his friends that he never hit and never would hit anyone according to another source, I smelled a cover-up. Especially since I was behind the barricade at the time and heard Star say "I popped that bitch in the face!" when he was on his way back to his tent. No mention was made of which "bitch" he was referring to at the time.

It turns out that Star may have actually hit a girl who not only didn't throw anything at him or give him the finger; a 17 year old girl has told me she went to Star's show as a fan, danced along to "Plastic Surgery Slumber Party," and left after Star's fist connected with her face.

I sit down with Amanda and Chris (not their real names) at a local coffee shop. I'd heard that Amanda was the first person Star attacked when he leapt into the crowd through Chris, a close friend of Amanda. She's a 17 year old student and an aspiring designer who was familiar with Star's image and music, cultivated over the last year and a a half on MySpace. She was one of his many thousands of friends on the site, as was Chris, before Star blocked them both a few days ago.

Amanda claims that she never once threw anything at Star. She was next to the people in the crowd who were throwing the crap, however, and she also says she knows who they are.

"They're acquaintances... not from school. We've run into each other at other people's parties, that sort of thing. They're not my friends, I just know who they are is all." Amanda referred to at least two girls, one of which was flipping Star the bird, and another who was throwing stuff at the stage with a male friend.

Asking her how Star's fist ended up on her face, I get a very frank and to the point story.

"We were dancing and we'd noticed the people next to us throwing some random crap on the stage. Near the end of [Star's] set, or when he cut it short, whichever, one of the girls threw a plastic cup of beer and the whole thing drenched his leotard... one piece... that pink thing he was wearing."

At that point Amanda says one of the backup dancers, a real (non-MySpace) friend of Chris, jumped into the audience and met one of the girls face to face, and started screaming violently at her. Amanda's quick to tell me that the dancer did not once touch the girl, he just did a lot of yelling.
Copyright 2007, Ryan Couldrey
"I saw Jeffree climbing over the fence soon after. I didn't move out of the way or anything because I hadn't done anything; I was waiting to see what was about to happen. I was still right next to [the dancer and the girl he was yelling at] when Star grabbed my hair with his right hand, and punched me with his left. After that he moved onto the girl [the dancer] was with and shoved her around."

When Star was later signing autographs, Amanda approached the table and asked "Why the fuck did you hit me... I didn't throw any shit at you", at which point Chris' backup dancer friend told her to "Fuck off or you're gonna get hurt!" In the days since the incident, Amanda stresses that the backup dancer has apologized to her and Chris numerous times about everything.

Amanda tells me that shortly after she was punched, she sought out a security guard for help. "He told me to get lost and find a cop. So I found one on the streets and he told me that because Star wasn't from Canada and that it was such a minor incident that there was nothing [the police] could do."

A 21 year old male from outside the country is alleged to have hit a 17 year old minor in the face, and the police say there's nothing they can do? Colour me uncertain, but I'm pretty sure that Jeffree Star doesn't have diplomatic immunity. If I were to pop my wife in the mouth and she called the cops, I'd have some definite explaining to do. Something tells me they wouldn't take me out for a beer.

Amanda had said that a major condition to her meeting with me would be that her name and Chris' not be published. I ask her what she's looking to get from all of this, and I'm particularly curious as if her name isn't to be published, she's obviously not seeking any fame.

"I'm so tired of people harassing me, sending me threatening messages... people walked up to my face and told me they were going to hurt me because Star had been banned from performing at the Alterna-Queer stage the next day, and that they couldn't see their idol.

"I've spoken with lawyers, and I don't think I even want to press charges. All I want is for Jeffree Star to put a new entry on his blog, saying that what he did to his fans was stupid and that he doesn't condone violence of any kind. He doesn't even need to apologize to me. He has so many gay and queer kids who need someone to look up to and they look up to him; he needs to tell them that punching people in the face isn't cool. He shouldn't be a role model to anyone if he thinks what he did was 'right'."

I'm reminded of my first, original entry on the whole incident; I definitely came off as pro-violence. In retrospect, this also was stupid of me. Even if Star had hit the people who were throwing stuff at him, hitting them back even if they deserved it doesn't make it right. There were several failings during the show; the dicks throwing stuff on stage and at Star, Star rushing the crowd and hitting people indiscriminately, and the total lack of any action by security to stop the crowd from throwing crap in the first place. All of them played a part in what happened, but Star could just have easily done what most rockers and performers do when met with an irate crowd: walk off the stage. Instead he chose to get involved, and threw punches into a crowd that came out to celebrate Pride.
Copyright 2007, Ryan Couldrey
The security guard at the South Stage gate was on a bit of an ego trip throughout the night (whoever was there on the Friday; you're aces). I was let through to take some shots during the Kids on TV set, and the moment my booty started shaking (while taking pics; I can multitask) he rushed over and told me to "Get the hell out, I didn't let you in here to dance!" During Star's set he barred me from entry, even with a press pass and a promise that I would be stiff as a board; I went around through the back instead to get proper access for the shoot. With that said about the piss poor security, I can tell you now that Pride Toronto hired a third party to take care of security; these weren't Pride volunteers and as such it might be a bit much to blame this on the Pride Toronto organization itself. They have a lot to deal with and security is definitely not their specialty, so they hire out. Hopefully another company will be used next year.

Earlier in this entry I made mention of Star removing the blog entry from his MySpace page. Jeffree Star told me during an interview several months ago that he has managed his MySpace site personally from the beginning. Whether that has changed and he now has help from another party, I'm unaware. Either way, go ahead and try to find proof that the entry ever existed, regardless if you saw it. It's just not there, and even after an hour of searching Google's cache I couldn't find it.
Click to check the Flickr set
That doesn't mean I didn't find it after another hour of searching. I've placed screen captures of the entry from Google's cache in this Flickr set; there's 6 shots, covering the whole entry. Anticipating that Star is going to deny ever throwing a punch, check the last screen grab where he does indeed brag about "sticking up" for himself and saying that "No one fucks with me". Putting this after copying my original post in its entirety is an admission of action in my books.

The world doesn't need another guy using violence to solve his problems, particularly one who's in the enviable position of being a role model to tens of thousands of kids. Particularly a grown man like Jeffree Star who, allegedly, seems to favor hitting the women who he thinks are throwing the stuff instead of the men.

chephy / June 29, 2007 at 03:22 pm
Funny how this thread has no comments at all, compared to over a 100 of "Star rules, stupid bitch deserved what she got" in the first post covering the issue, eh?.......
Ry C / June 29, 2007 at 03:35 pm
Likely due to a lack of Perez Hilton support. Oh well, I can live without it. Just wanted to make sure I got this info out sooner rather than later, regardless of the fanfare.
Anita / June 29, 2007 at 06:36 pm
I'm glad you realized your first stance on the story was way off base. How many other performers have been pelted with shit at concerts gay or not? I've seen it happen many times. This performer obviously doesn't get the meaning of the show must go on.
brokenengine / June 29, 2007 at 06:42 pm
I cant' believe the ruckus about this MEDIOCRE-AT-BEST "artist". J-Star is JUST ok, and thats being charitable. And the fact that he popped the girl in the mouth, and it turns out the kid had done NOTHING to provoke it? If there is karmic justice, J-Star won't be able to recover, and he'll be taking peoples Upsize orders by this time next year.

What a surprise that a less than deserving artist is thrown to the top by an undiscerning populace, so they cop an attitude without having the class earned by real artists that have had to fight their way to the top. This is why I'm so anti-hype and am immediately suspicious whenever I hear about "the next big thing" (even from BlogTO writers, sorry kids).
Ry C / June 29, 2007 at 07:34 pm
We come 'round eventually

Jaisy / June 30, 2007 at 11:50 am
I'm ashamed to say that I also shared in insulting the girl, not knowing the whole story and just being told what Jeffree Star fans told me...After I read this article I realized the type of person I was idolizing. Right now I feel a bit disgusted that I've actually liked Jeffree, and I feel extremly sorry for 'Amanda'..
steve / June 30, 2007 at 07:08 pm
oh jeffree, so pathetic. when your 14-year old fans turn 15 they will find a new idol xx
James / July 1, 2007 at 04:00 pm
Wow. I'm happy I was able to read this story. I'm also disgusted that I've supported Jeffree Star through this whole ordeal. He's been so tight lipped through this incident ever since he took the blog post down and it sucks that I have to get this info from a news article rather than his sorry mouth.

Great article though!
Mrkev / July 7, 2007 at 07:27 pm
For more Jeffree Star pics, including him jumping off the stage and into the crowd, and being escorted out by security see http://web.mac.com/mrkev
laura. / July 12, 2007 at 11:53 pm
<p>j stars fucking sexy as hell.</p><p>end of story.</p><p>done.</p>
Sara / July 13, 2007 at 05:13 am
<p>Jeffrey Steininger is a major asshole with problems. He should be charged with assault on a minor for this. Of course, he&#39;ll probably take pride in that because it&#39;ll make him seem &quot;hardXcore&quot; and his brain-dead fans will eat it up.</p><p>Having a gender identity problem and being a crossdresser does not make you a female and it sure as hell doesn&#39;t give you the right to assault teenage girls. </p><p>To hell with &quot;Jeffree Star&quot;. The youth of the world deserve someone far better to look up to.&nbsp;</p>
Sara / July 13, 2007 at 05:27 am
Oh, and bless you for putting this article out there, Ryan. I&#39;ll spread the word.
ayden / July 20, 2007 at 04:48 pm
j star shouldnt of hitted anyone! she didnt deserve it!.. if it happen to any of u guys u would of been bitchen up ur asses! so fuck off and stop actin like assholes and grow the fuck up... j star isnt all that he is a human like us doesnt give him the right to be fuckin with ppl
Sindee / July 23, 2007 at 01:47 am
<p>I wish more people knew about this, then at least they&#39;d know that their idol is r-tarded, that or blind. </p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Loves Prada / August 1, 2007 at 03:30 pm
<p>whoever &quot;LAURA&quot; is that said jeffree star has a gender problem and is hardXcore wannabe.... has some fuckin problems because she KNOWS that she is a fat ugly whore with NO make-up skills like jeffree star and obviously she &quot;thinks&quot; that she&#39;s all hot and the truth and reality is... she worships jeffree star like a god and is embarrased about it. JEFFREE STAR IS THE SHIT</p><p>enough said.</p>
Jaisy / August 3, 2007 at 04:19 pm
I don&#39;t know what&#39;s more pathetic, some of the stupid comments left by Jeffree Star fans, or the fact that they&#39;re still kissing his ass even after reading this article.
Adrian / August 3, 2007 at 09:01 pm
<p>What a fucking twat. Just because he dresses up in womans clothing and thinks he&#39;s a woman, doesn&#39;t make him a woman. He&#39;s a full grown man, and he assulted a teenage female, that&#39;s pretty pathetic if you ask me.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Guy sounds like a fucking asshole. &nbsp;</p>
Alice / August 18, 2007 at 09:48 am
Christ, the backup dancer was good enough to apologize at least. Jeffrey Star needs to get off his high horse and do the same to Amanda.
Newartriotgirl / August 23, 2007 at 05:20 pm
Jeffree star is a lowlife scumbag. He has threatened me before on Melodramatic.com and also called me a cunt! What a arsehole. Hope someone pissed on his ugly face Hah
emiLy ::&lt;3 / August 27, 2007 at 09:58 pm
ohwell, who cares if he did that...hes still hot, thats all that matters:P
newartriotgirl / September 5, 2007 at 02:13 pm
emiLy you sound like some kind fat dyke KUNT! hope I see you someday so I can kick you in the pussy and then take pics of you holding your smashed cooter. Then I will put the pics on my flicker for all to see.
Jenjen
selene / September 10, 2007 at 03:04 pm
Even though i am a major fan of jeffree i think that maybe he should apoligize or something even though he is a star something should be done
AJ / September 19, 2007 at 08:08 pm
Laura , u r not well imformed... ur just jealous because ur not anywhere close to as beautiful as Jeffree Star. Sindee u r correct... thanx for being one of the non assholes who commented on this page
AJ / September 19, 2007 at 08:11 pm
sorry sidnee u r an asshole .. i meant "Loves Prada" isn't an asshole.
Sara / October 8, 2007 at 03:28 am
LMAO @ "Loves Prada" and "AJ" for being so mentally retarded that they don't even know who to reply to! I'm sure all the other brain-dead idiots are just ever so proud of you.

And, yes. I stick by my comment that he has a gender identity disorder and he should be charged with assault on a minor.

Next time, fools, get it right. My name is SARA. You'll probably get it wrong, anyway. LOL
Greed / October 19, 2007 at 06:57 pm
Ive NEVER been a fan of Jeffree Star, and honestly, As A homosexual i feel like he stereotypes gays way to much, it's people like him who make people hate gays. He has NO RIGHT to hit anyone, acting violently is not necessary at all, especially when it's over something so immature, most people deal with shit being thrown at them in their life, get over it.
DROP_DEAD_GEMMA / November 20, 2007 at 10:57 pm
okay look, im a moajor jeffree star fan but i have to agree, yes, jeffree shouldnt have hit this girl, yes he owes her a HUGE apology and yes his actions were O.T.T but hes only human! and he obviously didnt realize she didnt do anything otherwise he wouldnt have gone for her!! he probably has to deal with all the haters throwing shit at him all the time, so he probably just got really fucked off with it and just snapped! and if those people in the crowed that were throwing shit at him didnt like him then WHY THE FUCK WERE THEY AT HIS CONCERT???!! as i see it, he just had BIG misunderstanding and obviously this 'amanda' is over it as she doesnt wanna press charges otherwise she would!! but i do think he could atleast have the decency to apologise. but all of you guys shouldnt hold it against him!! i betcha he felt really bad about it all once he found out she didnt do anything! he probably doesnt wanna apologise (even though he should) because hes ashamed of his actions!! YES i am REALLY EXTREMELY disappointed in my idol but i still support him 100%!im not saying what he did was right but i still lov him!

Jeffree Steininger Is Beautiful And All You Haters Should Just SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET THE FUCK OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for taking the time to read my comment whoever does,
Jeffree Fucking Rules!!

Peace x.
DROP_DEAD_GEMMA / November 20, 2007 at 11:00 pm
sorry, i meant to say 'major' in the first line not 'moajor'. hahahaha

stupid fucking haters!
when are you gonna realize that jeffree is beautiful and great?!?!
i idolize him and i dont care what you think.

byebyebyebyebye! like MAJOR LOLZ!! ^-^
newartriotgirl / November 21, 2007 at 03:00 pm
Jeffree Steininger is a lowlife cocksucking fag! hahahah hope he pisses on all you people that look up to the washed up cockclown hahahah fuck off all you crunts!! hahah
Stephanie / November 30, 2007 at 03:47 pm
There is alot of haters in this world! The girl is a hater! Jeffree Star is a person who won't take shit! there would be no other reason for him to hit a chick for no reason! i can understand if she was underage but i know damn well that if someone were to come to my tattoo shop and give me the finger, they damn well better be prepared for an asswhooping!!!
Ryan C / November 30, 2007 at 04:00 pm
"Asswhooping"??? What are you, like 50 years old or something? I'm pretty sure J Star's target audience is "them there youngin's!"
Amy / December 5, 2007 at 04:47 pm
I am a fan of Jeffree.
And i haven't even heard of this until i read this article.
I will say that i am disapointed in him.
But Are you sure you've got all the facts straight?

Some of you need to keep your comments to yourselfs.
If you hate him, and someone else looks up to him, that give you NO rite to say something bad about them for that.

=\

Some of you should grow the fuck up.
Amy / December 5, 2007 at 04:48 pm
i meant gives** not give
=]
sorrayy
desii / December 21, 2007 at 10:45 am
honestly no matter What Jeffree star dose he will Always be my idol and if you dont like him keep it to yourself because thats your opinion but like he said he dosent give a fuck.

much love
desii
xXJanetXcoreXHorrorXx / December 26, 2007 at 06:00 pm
who cares the bitch probably deserved it and ooo well i still love u Jeffree Star ur amazing<3

much love,
xXJanetXcoreXHorrorXx
Unknown / January 12, 2008 at 11:48 pm
Thank fucking goodness for this article, but I'm pretty sure my stupid, scene, wannabe "friends" will not get it at all and start calling me a ignorant bitch. Only those who know how much of an asshole he is for doing this and what society is today will understand.

In my opinion, he's just a horrible role model in general. I'm not against gays AT ALL, in case anyone took it that way.

When will the scene EVER end?
Jeica / January 16, 2009 at 04:40 am
Just because Jeffree Star is an "idol" it doesn't give him the right to punch anyone in the face. He is just a drama king who wants to make the situation bigger than it actually was. I am glad you appreciate your fans.
Ash replying to a comment from Jeica / January 16, 2009 at 04:42 am
Totally agree!^
UnstoppableW / July 20, 2009 at 09:10 pm
This has nothing to do with this article but I truely think he is a horrible person. I don't understand how society in all has accepted such major influences with no real morals. What will society be once everyone has became a fag and won't do the real jobs out in industry. No man should should look or act like him. Whomever says grow up or mature or anything or the sorts. I have. I went through the pahses but now i realize it is just wrong. I was never a fag, just dressed strange. Now I see what is right, and how to act like a man. Men should just be real men. All of them
Harleigh replying to a comment from Amy / October 1, 2009 at 04:35 am
I think we have every right to say these things about Jeffree Star. After all, with his behaviour it is warranted.
anabell / December 29, 2009 at 01:25 pm
I totally agree,Jeffree Star is horrible and so is his bf Alan Jettatura. They both need anger managment.
DevinFaceplant / February 12, 2011 at 12:41 am
Now, I don't know the entire story, I'm just a Jeffree fan, but I AM aware of the inaccuracy of this article. It says "Several hours later Star's blog entry was removed without an explanation." I beg to differ, I saw on [his] blog a week or two ago about this. His entry was clearly not removed. His blog also states that the girl had thrown something AND walked up and start cussing and running her mouth at him. I don't care who you are, if you do that to me at anytime, age, or place, I'm going to hit you. The difference between me and Star is that I would help you stand back up or catch your balance. Another thing, the cops DID show up, but he took off before they could do much of anything.
Now on "Amanda's" part of the story. So it LOOKS as if she's trying to be the "good guy," but looks can be decieving. I was not there though, therefore, how would I know if she was lying. I don't doubt what she said at all, like I said I wasn't there. But I do know that there's 3 sides to every story. In this case, it's Jeffree's, "Amanda's" and the truth. I'm not STICKING up for my idol, but I am calling it as I see it. No one should be judging or hating because you only know one side of the story.
To "Amanda" I'm sorry if he hit you! (Whether this is bs or not!) You know how "girls" get.
newartriotgirl is a bitch / April 16, 2011 at 03:07 pm
Suck me jenjen you fat faced little troll bitch.