Wednesday, October 1, 2014Cloudy 16°C
Fashion & Style

TTC map wallet a perfect accessory for transit nerds

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 14, 2014

ttc wallet torontoWell, it looks like you missed the boat on buying one of those TTC map handbags from Jimmy Choo - sources say the limited run of 20 commemorative bags has sold out, at $1095 a pop, from the designer's new Yorkdale store. Fortunately, there's a new accessory branded with our city's iconic (sorta) subway map that will ease your non-buyer's remose (and save you about eleven hundred dollars).

A new crowdfunding project has surfaced on Tilt for a run of mini-billfold wallets printed with that TTC map we all know and re-read over and over again while sitting in the tunnels. The wallets, at just $4 each, were inspired by similar models for London's Oyster system; they're just large enough to fit a card or two. The campaign's already been funded, meaning you can pay without worrying if it will come through for you or not (unlike the TTC itself).

Cynthia / August 14, 2014 at 09:11 am
Hmmmm....the Anu Raina dress featuring a more detailed transit map is better (and not just because I own it)...

John / August 14, 2014 at 09:30 am
It's missing Smart Track. It will be outdated in seven years.
Tony / August 14, 2014 at 09:46 am
Picked one up. Cool.
Rob Ford / August 14, 2014 at 10:10 am
The unemployed don't need it. Students don't. Old people don't. Babies don't.
ID replying to a comment from John / August 14, 2014 at 10:12 am
Are you serious? It's a $4 wallet...
Brent / August 14, 2014 at 10:39 am
This one actually uses the real map (as opposed to the handbag, which used the Wikipedia version).

More authentic, but waiting for the cease and desist letter once legal staff discover the copyright infringement.
jaaaaaaaaat / August 14, 2014 at 10:44 am
TTC doesnt need a map.

its two straight lines, in cardinal directions.
pessimist replying to a comment from ID / August 14, 2014 at 10:49 am
I think he was making the joke that Tory may win and then after winning actually accomplish what he claims within the timeline he claims it
torontorocks / August 14, 2014 at 11:03 am
Come on...it's $4. I picked up 3. They're pretty neat. Look at it this way. They're making about $2.50 on each wallet. Good for them!
Derek / August 14, 2014 at 11:06 am
But it costs me $3 just to get on the TTC!!!

They should partner with the TTC and give them for free when you buy a metro pass.....SICK!!!
Rickshaw Mike / August 14, 2014 at 11:10 am
These look cool. Any chance of buying one in Toronto in a shop? I live in England and I can't seem to order one.
Brandon / August 14, 2014 at 11:48 am
"Transit nerds" - is this really a thing in Toronto? Our transit system is a joke. I can maybe see this being a thing in NYC, London, etc, but who in this city (in their right mind) would ever consider themselves to be a TTC transit nerd?
Rayanne Langdon replying to a comment from Rickshaw Mike / August 14, 2014 at 11:55 am
Hi Mike! I work at Tilt, the folks behind this campaign : ) You never know what's in our future, but I'd love to help you order one from England! Email me at rayanne at tilt.com and I'll help : )
Brent replying to a comment from Brandon / August 14, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Plenty of "transit nerds" around T.O., or at least people in the market for TTC-themed merchandise (if the Spacing button series is anything to go by).
Nerds replying to a comment from Brandon / August 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Yes people will buy whatever is fed to them as cool or nerdy. It's all about impressing others when you pull this wallet out.
Ell / August 14, 2014 at 01:13 pm
..no need to worry about upgrading to a newer version for many, many years.
choochoo / August 14, 2014 at 02:21 pm
Looks like the clutch already hit ebay, lol

Tracey / August 14, 2014 at 04:28 pm
They are very nice wallets - now if only we had a TTC version of an Oyster card to put in them :(
PrinceJammy / August 14, 2014 at 04:30 pm
This is super whack. People have such terrible taste.
G Batra / August 14, 2014 at 06:17 pm
Looks like after the local designer Anu Raina showcased her TTC inspired prints at the Toronto Fashion week, every one is making Toronto subway design now....check out the original designs on her website
www.anuraina.com
Dean Tudor / August 14, 2014 at 09:44 pm
I don't need a map that shows me how to go from Nowhere to Nowhere Else.

I need that other map which tells me where the exits are at each station, and where those exits lead to (buses, street, other subway, etc.). I also need that posted on the wall of the train.
SteveM replying to a comment from PrinceJammy / August 15, 2014 at 01:17 pm