Thursday, July 24, 2014Mostly Cloudy 22°C
Fashion & Style

Caban Closes Doors

Posted by Karen / June 20, 2006

caban.jpg
Caban, the popular lifestyle spinoff of Club Monaco announced today that it will be closing its doors. According to the Globe and Mail, that the major reason for the closure is because its landlords have decided to use their prime real estate for their own home and lifestyle brand.

Currently, three of Caban's main stores are being housed within the Loblaws megastores. Loblaws recently launched a lifestyle clothing line, Joe Fresh Style and is in the process of expanding this concept to homewares. In an ironic twist, this whole concept being launched by Loblaws is being headed up by Joe Mimram, the original mastermind of Club Monaco and Caban.

According to a spokesperson of Ralph Lauren (who bought the brand in 2000), it will be focusing on "core apparel and accessories business." The Caban stores will be closing by August 31st.

Picture courtesy of Caban.

kk / June 20, 2006 at 12:21 pm
it's = it is
its = possessive case of "it", as in hers, theirs, ours
Tanja / June 20, 2006 at 12:40 pm
Read a press release a while back when Ralph Lauren bought the company that they'd be closing the Outlet stores and Caban shops down... and since the Outlets were liquidating (love my new hangers) I called Caban to ask if they were closing down and the the girl on the phone totally freaked out saying she knew nothing about it. heh. I'm certainly looking forward to the inevitable upcoming sales. Bargains to be HAD!
Jeremy Wilson / June 20, 2006 at 04:16 pm
What about the stand-alone store on Queen?
Tyson Williams / June 20, 2006 at 05:21 pm
Oh - NO! I was there today... I love Caban and have been shopping there for years (mostly when stuff goes on sale LOL, but still - love the place!)
Karen / June 20, 2006 at 05:27 pm
From what I've been told by insiders, all stores nationwide will be closed. I am a little sad about it since it's usually one my "must stop by" stores on a sunny day. There will definitely be good sales going on, so stock up!
Robonto / June 20, 2006 at 08:25 pm
They closed the Montreal location a couple of months ago... they sold EVERYTHING, from the products to the shelves, fixtures and light bulbs.

They also had a progressive sale. on the last week, every day the prices would be 10% lower every passing day until closing. There were deals, but the employees got the best of it.
anon. anon. / June 21, 2006 at 05:44 pm
it's interesting that ralph lauren never put any care, effort, or support into the company. RL drove caban into the ground: by lying to its employees about who was going to buy the company and that yes - there was going to be a takeover, not a closure; about its policies and procedures and how they were constantly changed week to week; and about the vision they had for caban - yes we want to expand into the american market. club monaco may you share an equal level of success in your future! absolutely and no problem.
Lily / June 23, 2006 at 02:31 pm
That's very sad. That's my favorite store. :(

I always wait for their sales and go load up on stuff.

Lily.
Miks / June 28, 2006 at 04:22 pm
Extremely sad, I do stop by the store EVERY time I'm downtown...even if it means walking down to Queen all the way from Bloor. I'm there almost twice a week during the summer because I work downtown then, and the some of the staff already know me. Their sales are great. I've bought cups, pillows, utensils, lamps, chairs,...,and JEANS (oooh...that's gonna be a GREAT sale for Sevens and R&R). Hey, maybe it's not so bad after all...I'm kidding.
Kimmy Gibbler / June 30, 2006 at 04:37 pm
Better make a snappy trip to Caban - the Queen Street location is overloaded with people and it looks like most of the best stuff is gone already!
Miguel / July 5, 2006 at 12:51 am
The good stuff is totally going fast, I walk super close so i stop by often and man oh man, people are buying in BULK! Expensive mirrors over 2K are sold too. If I had lots of money, I'd buy everything there, Hell, I would even buy the store! I'll miss it terribly.
t-storm / July 7, 2006 at 03:13 pm
Can anyone recommend stylin' and trendy places to buy housewares like dishes, plates, cups, etc., in downtown Toronto?

I just moved here and would like to buy some unique pieces.
vancouver / July 10, 2006 at 01:54 am
BAD customer service received today.
even though you are closing your doors, these staff should at least behave themselves.
Miguel / July 10, 2006 at 11:49 am
One of my other fav places is Urban Barn, www.urbanbarn.com, but really just walk down queen st. and if you want to pay more, go on King st. www.eq3.com, LOVE that store.
Miguel / July 10, 2006 at 11:53 am
About the BAD service you got, was it from the Queen st one? the big one? Yeah, i noticed that they no longer care there, but i actually went to both Forest Hill location and Queens Quay and the service was GREAT, the energy was still up and they were just really friendly, AND they're still getting stock! GO!
anon / July 11, 2006 at 01:44 pm
I hear what people are saying about bad cust. service. Didn't have the usual fantastic service when i went in on the weekend, but they also seemed super understaffed and a little overwhelmed by cheap skates fighting for additional discounts. man, who knew it would go down hill so fast? I saw a woman screaming at an employee because she wanted an extra 10 percent on a towel with a pull in it, even though there were tonnes of perfectly good ones. ya gotta feel bad for the staff. I've been shopping at queen street for years and i know some of them have been working there for ages only to get the boot, and it's retail so it's not like they'll get severance packages.
Roderick / July 20, 2006 at 01:45 pm
Caban was just too good. Other retailers were scared.

I will never buy Ralph Lauren again.
GOD! I'm sick of american companies buying canadian ones so that they can close them.

P.S. Bad customer service... THEY LOST THERE JOBS. HELLO!
misschickie / July 20, 2006 at 10:51 pm
I also find this devastating. Their stuff is stylish and good quality. I really don't know where we are going to shop now. But we did get our leather loveseats for $688 each because of the bankruptcy...
Cathy / July 26, 2006 at 07:51 pm
I am an American who enjoyed shopping at the Vancouver Caban. Shame on you Ralph Lauren! Caban was a great store with great service. I will never buy anything from you again.

P.S. Another reason I won't buy your merchandise is because you are so short sighted you cannot make bed linen in CA King size. Not everyone sleeps in a twin. You are a moron!!!!!!
anon / July 26, 2006 at 11:18 pm
Caban is definitely an icon of toronto shopping. We're all incredibly sad to see it go. Although I've got to say, some of the deals they have right now are out of control. I don't think I saw a single item in their men's fashion department for more than $29. I managed to purchase at least half a dozen shirts, a few pairs of pants and a blazer for less than $100. Who cares if it's Club Monaco's last season cast offs - I bought a thick knit hoodie for $9, and you know they'll have the exact same hoodie in a slightly different colour next season for $100 . . .
jimjim / August 16, 2006 at 12:00 am
Anyone know who's moving into the Queen St location? What a great spot for the right store.
Miguel / August 24, 2006 at 02:50 pm
Just in case anyone is wondering... The only ones in Toronto still open is the Sherway Gardens location and Queen St.

I called and closing date for Sherway Gardens is August 31 and Queen St. is September 13.

Queen St. location is fully stocked, which is weird, don't know how they're planning on selling all that stuff!
RBD / September 14, 2006 at 10:43 pm
RIP Caban Vancouver and Hello Williams & Sonoma or H&M, whatever the rumours say.
Miguel / September 18, 2006 at 05:18 pm
Would be cool to see another furniture store, there's too much clothing ones already. Williams & Sonoma eh? That would be cool
Miguel / September 21, 2006 at 01:37 pm
OMG, Urban Planet is taking over that space? SO LAME. Walked passed it a few days ago, and saw the sign... just sad.
Roderick / November 17, 2006 at 12:31 pm
November 17
Caban is long gone!
I feel sad for the other stores on Queen st in TO. I have not gone back to Queen st since Caban closed. Same for many of my friends...
Oh well, I guess the city will replace the stores with more shoebox condos!
Madeleine / February 6, 2008 at 12:23 am

Damn it!! I still miss Caban!!! :(
That store was simply awesome!!
ROBYN / December 6, 2008 at 11:43 am
does ANYONE know where I can get sheets like they sold at Caban. Best sheets I have ever slept on in my life, if anyone knows please let me know. Crispy but soft ....
Former Cabaner / March 17, 2009 at 01:56 pm
I used to work there and I had to leave after one or two years because of poor management. My guess is that Managers are treated like shit by head office and the treatment trickles down to the front-line staff. I remember be miserable there because above you is an immature bitchy regional manager (actually "jokingly" said to me "what did you steal today?" as she did an end of day bag check) and on the other side of that you have demanding customers who think they can treat you like shit because they are shopping for sales at a 'high-end' store. Now that I don't work there i wish it was still open because we need something like that back in toronto.