Monday, December 22, 2014Partly Cloudy 0°C
Eat & Drink

10 Toronto restaurants with locations in other cities

Posted by Erinn Beth Langille / August 26, 2014

bier markt montrealA number of Toronto restaurants started here but have since opened locations in other cities. We are used to the reverse, patiently waiting for a chain or famous New York entity to put roots in Toronto (Boulud, Momofuku and Vancouver's Guu come to mind), but as this city's food community continues to court fanfare and taste buds to greater and greater acclaim, I think we'll be seeing even more Toronto restaurants branching out nationally and internationally.

Here's a list of 10 Toronto restaurants that have opened locations in other cities.

Bier Markt
For Torontonians Bier Markt has been the go-to for a brew and a brasserie-style bite with locations all over the city - King West, Don Mills, Queensway, Esplanade and Square One. So It made sense to open a Bier Markt in Montreal too, where they love their beer.

La Societe
Oh the glamour of La Societe, with its French flare at the heart of the Mink Mile. You might not think you could ever replicate that lux atmosphere but if there was one place to do so, it might just be Montreal, where they've opened a new boite.

Terroni
Celebrity sighting were always a regular occurance at the Toronto Terroni restaurants, so it's no surprise the business chased it's fans right back to Hollywood. Terroni LA is like the slick, sunshine-y agent to the Toronto spots, and that agent is 'killing it'!

Grand Electric
Port Carling might not be first place restauranteurs would think to drop a new joint, but the folks behind Grand Electric have never really played by the rules. When you think about it can you imagine a better fit than tacos and Muskoka cottage country? Move over Weber's there's a new kid in town.

Burger's Priest
Burger's Priest caught on like wild fire in Toronto proper from the East to the West and they're are about to burn up the streets of Guelph with a new place to sink your teeth into one of their signature sloppy burgers. The college kids are going to flip.

Fran's Restaurant
Fran's Restaurant is a Toronto institution, I bet any citizen can recognize that neon script signage, and maybe even the taste of their famous banquet burger. They have three locations in Toronto and one in Barrie.

California Sandwiches
You have to make a name for yourself before you set off into the new world, and California Sandwiches has been making a name for itself in Toronto since 1967. The location in Burlington is carrying on the good name.

Ki
Ki features modern Japanese - fresh twists on sushi, sashimi and izakaya - so it makes perfect sense they opened a second location in Calgary, a city about as far away from any ocean as you can possibility get. Think of it as a fish oasis in the middle of Cowtown, if nothing else the oil-rich province can at least pay for it to get shipped in.

Smoke's Poutinerie
Of all the restaurants on this list, Smoke's Poutinerie has the most locations in others cities, including Halifax, Vancouver and Montreal to name a few (there are lots, and seemingly more every day). Calling Smoke's Poutinerie a restaurant may be a bit of stretch, it is just fries and gravy after all, but dang is it good.

Voodoo Child
Coffee shop, brunch spot, cocktail bar and cafe, it didn't seem like much of a wait before Toronto's Voodoo Child expanded elsewhere. What was unexpected was the place - its second location is in Gwangju, South Korea, a rather long commute for its owner David-Shirazi Rad, and the De Mello Palheta coffee they plan on serving there. Happy travels!

What did I miss? Add more Toronto restaurants that have opened in other cities in the comments.

Todd Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 10:34 am
Big Smoke Burger has some locations outside of Canada.

Alison / August 26, 2014 at 10:42 am
California Sandwiches has three Mississauga locations too..
Western NY / August 26, 2014 at 11:13 am
Spot Coffee on Bremner across the Rogers Center has a location in Rochester, NY in an old former Chevrolet dealership on East Avenue. There's also a location in Buffalo NY's Elmwood Village (the 716's) version of the Annex and Kensington combined.
The Ocean / August 26, 2014 at 11:17 am
It's actually not even relevant, considering how fish is caught and transported these days, but the author is aware that Calgary and Toronto are each about the same distance from the ocean?
Grand Bender / August 26, 2014 at 11:22 am
"10 Toronto restaurants with locations in other CITIES."

Is Port Carling a city? As far as I know its always been a town. We need to get Grand Electric off this list ASAP or edit the title to "10 Toronto restaurants with locations outside of the city".
Jacob / August 26, 2014 at 11:53 am
Pizza Pizza?
Thanks! / August 26, 2014 at 12:09 pm
An interesting article and I learned a lot from it! Now, however, I await the hoards who will try their best to pick it apart. When you have little power in your personal life, taking on the role of The Contrarian will make you feel a bit more empowered I suppose.
Thunk / August 26, 2014 at 12:31 pm
I love this article I'm really learning so much! Can I use learning's from this site as credits towards my OSSD?
Don't thunk too hard / August 26, 2014 at 01:04 pm
Yeah, do whatever you want. Good luck on your OSSD and ESL.
CaligulaJones / August 26, 2014 at 01:13 pm
Port Carling is a village, actually. Bracebridge is a town. Muskoka is a District.
Mr Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 01:24 pm
What about Tim Horton's, Hero Burger, etc.? They have locations in many more other cities than the pathetic ragtag above.
Breasts / August 26, 2014 at 01:33 pm
I saw a Tim Horton's in Ottawa once.
Abe / August 26, 2014 at 02:28 pm
Holy Chuck opened up in Woodbridge. I hate Woodbridge, but I work there and there's now a ridiculous burger joint that's too close for my health.
Double Double replying to a comment from Mr Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 02:39 pm
Tim Horton's actually started in Hamilton, not Toronto. The first Tim Horton's shop is still in operation there, and has glass cases filled with Tim Horton's memorabilia collected over the years.
Smug York replying to a comment from Mr Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 03:02 pm
My favourite Webers isn't the one at Pearson, it's the one on the way to cottage country.
Todd Toronto replying to a comment from Smug York / August 26, 2014 at 03:43 pm
Stop in at Terminal 2 on the way to the cottage, do ya'?

Also, there is no Terminal 2. Also, Weber's closed years before they demolished the terminal.
Mr Toronto replying to a comment from Double Double / August 26, 2014 at 04:00 pm
Double Double - according to BlogTO Tim Hortons really started in Toronto in the 60's before relocating to Hamilton. http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/12/that_time_toronto_got_its_first_taste_of_tim_hortons/

Still, I didn't realise the "first" Tim Hortons is still around in Hamilton- I'll check it out next time I'm in the area!
Canterbury Tail replying to a comment from Western NY / August 26, 2014 at 04:22 pm
Spot Coffee started in NY state (Rochester) and then opened in Toronto when the Harbourview Estates went up in 2005. So the Toronto one was second.
Trish / August 26, 2014 at 09:32 pm
"Top 10 Toronto restaurants that have let their Toronto success get to their heads and egos and think they can offer the same experience elsewhere."
Double Double replying to a comment from Mr Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Mr. Toronto -- you are actually misreading the blogTO article. The first official Tim Horton's in the *Toronto area* opened in 1970 in Etobicoke. (There was also another store that opened in Toronto around 1967 or 1968 and failed, but it wasn't necessarily under the Tim Horton's name, possibly under the name "Tim Donut", as an off-shoot of the local chain in Hamilton.) That's all the blogTO article is claiming.

The first Tim Horton's store (ever) opened in Hamilton in 1964. I've been there. I've seen the commemorative plaque outside it.

Here's the Wiki link, too:

Double Double replying to a comment from Mr Toronto / August 26, 2014 at 11:41 pm
I take it back. You didn't misread the original blogTO article. (I did.)

But that blogTO article about the history of Tim Horton's contradicts basically *all* the information out there about its founding. Wikipedia, the company web site, the plaque on the store in Hamilton, and various other news articles and accounts indicate that the earliest store was in Hamilton in 1964 and that there was no "move" from Toronto to Hamilton.

Bits of Tim / August 27, 2014 at 01:06 am
Often "official" company histories leave out things at the beginning that don't neatly fit the rosy story. That's nothing new. You pick the oldest existing store and start the story there.

I've seen full service TH's in the States that are identical to the ones here.
Liam / August 27, 2014 at 01:56 am
Oliver & Bonacini has locations in other cities. I heard they are opening in Calgary too.
Ken / August 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm
There's an Old Spaghetti Factory in Kyoto, Japan. I was stunned when I saw it. Absolutely bizarre.
Ken replying to a comment from Ken / August 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm
edit: never mind, I had no idea OSF was from Portland, Oregon. Also, it was Kobe, not Kyoto. Ignore.
stephen / August 27, 2014 at 04:22 pm
i once saw a hot dog stand in New York City...i think they copied us.
sd replying to a comment from Bits of Tim / August 27, 2014 at 06:22 pm
The Tim's in the states arent fully the same, can't get everything down there you can up here. My brother would try as a joke and they'd ask him if he was Canadian every time.
Chester Pape / August 27, 2014 at 07:01 pm
The Wurst location in Calgary probably deserves a mention

As for the Tim Horton's history, before the getting into the Doughtnut game, Tim Horton and a guy named Jim Charade opened a small chain of Hamburger restaurants in Toronto (and one location in North Bay) in 1962 or 63 but they went bankrupt in less than 6 months. Then they opened the Doughnut shop in Hamilton (on Ottawa Street) in 1964.

Most of the official histories skip over the failed burger joints and start the story in 1964.
Kim / August 27, 2014 at 07:10 pm
There used to be a branch of Pizza Nova in Varadero, Cuba. It was known locally as the "Italian restaurant". The name changed a little while ago, though.
Adam / August 27, 2014 at 07:31 pm
Here's a weird one for you: Fresh in Moscow.

june / August 27, 2014 at 08:10 pm
Guu Izakaya. I know they started in Vancouver first but this should be added to the list.
@ sd and @ June / August 28, 2014 at 02:14 am
What is not available in the American Tim's? The ones in NYC look identical to me.

@ June
How can a restaurant that started in Vancouver and moved to Toronto be on a list of Toronton restaurants that have branched out elsewhere? I don't think you thought this one through.
Wardo44 / August 29, 2014 at 10:16 am
Swiss Chalet!!! Restaurant #1 opened at Bloor & Bedford in 1954.
JD / August 31, 2014 at 06:55 pm
@ Chester Pape - the Calgary Wurst is unrelated to Toronto Wvurst or so I've been told
www.amazon.Com / September 1, 2014 at 05:16 pm
Hey! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does operating a well-established website like yours take a massive amount work?
I am completely new to operating a blog however I do write in my diary everyday.

I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and thoughts
online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners.

Appreciate it!