Tuesday, July 29, 2014Mostly Cloudy 19°C
Eat & Drink

The top 20 eats from Toronto's first Spanish food festival

Posted by Liora Ipsum / July 7, 2014

pintxosTO torontoPintxosTO was held this past Sunday in a parking lot off Wellington St.. The festival, devoted to Spanish-style snacks, attracted 800 hungry attendees ready to gorge themselves one tiny skewer at a time. The lineup of participating restaurants included a who's who of Spanish restaurants in the city, including Marben, Cava, Bar Buca, Patria, Barsa Taberna, Portland Variety, Salt Wine Bar and of course, Bar Isabel, who seemingly showed everyone else up by bringing half a dozen different nibbles and a cocktail bar.

Check out all the two-bite treats in our gallery from the event.

Geronimo / July 7, 2014 at 11:23 am
What a crock of pretentious $hit. For authentic no-hassle Spanish food, take a trip to a local Spanish church fundraiser (one of them was held on Weston Rd. this weekend). For $10-$20 you can gorge on full-size portions of empanadas, churros, tacos, pescado frito, arepas, tamales, pupusas, paella, horchata, camarones, alfahores, etc... Over ten different countries and about 5-10 dishes per country. The night ended with live salsa, marengue and cumbia songs and dancing.
Richard / July 7, 2014 at 11:54 am
Geronimo: you're an idiot.

I really want to expand on that, but yeah. That's just how I feel.

BlogTO: you didn't do the event any benefit by calling it a Spanish food festival. It was a Basque pintxos festival. So, 2 countries were supposed to be "represented". Tacos aren't Basque food, neither are, well, anything the above dummy mentioned.

Toronto: the city where people shit on events simply because they think they know better. Guessing some people didn't read up on the event, look at the menu or - duh! - know anything about Basque food.
Julianne / July 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Geronimo, Please do not confuse Mexican or Venezuelan food as "Spanish"
John Kimbel / July 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm
Geronimo may not have articulated himself well, but the Latin food festival he mentioned was very good.
Jackie replying to a comment from Geronimo / July 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm
That's not Spanish Geronimo. That's Latin American. DON'T LUMP US ALL IN.
Jackie replying to a comment from Geronimo / July 7, 2014 at 12:29 pm
If you want Latin American foods, go to the place Geronimo said or to Salsa on St. Clair http://salsaintoronto.com/salsa-on-st-clair

If you want Spanish food from Spain, go to the festival that Blogto just suggested. Churros! Paella!
vic / July 7, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Yeaaaa, lol Geronimo buddy Tacos, Tamales, Churros are DEFINITELY NOT SPANISH FOOD! This title should be LATIN AMERICAN FOOD FESTIVAL. Also Salt Wine Bar is Portuguese, Not Spanish...
Fjps / July 7, 2014 at 12:57 pm
We don't eat tacos and shit like arepas here in Spain.
Don / July 7, 2014 at 01:22 pm
Why don't you complain to the event owners then they said the food was from Northern Spain, therefore making it Spanish Food.

A pincho (Spanish: [ˈpintʃo], literally "thorn" or "spike") or pintxo (Basque: [ˈpintʃo]) is a small snack,[1] typically eaten in bars, traditional in northern SPAIN and especially popular in theBasque country and Navarre.

PintxosTO - A Celebration of Tapas!
Leslie replying to a comment from Geronimo / July 7, 2014 at 01:26 pm
Sounds like a great event Geronimo. Over ten countries and one spot and SOME of them being Spanish as well, sounds like a good time, with lots to eat. I have no problem having various types of food on the same plate. Seems like people on here need borders to divide them, probably need those kiddie plates with dividers to keep the food on your plate from touching each other.
PBJs replying to a comment from Fjps / July 7, 2014 at 01:29 pm
Doesn't seem like your very welcoming of others either. Enjoy your angry day.
Doberman Pintxer / July 7, 2014 at 01:37 pm
The difference between tapas and pintxos is that pintxos are generally served with a toothpick through them.

I can definitely see why the confusion would lead to a vicious sectarian battle.
Tapas replying to a comment from Doberman Pintxer / July 7, 2014 at 01:40 pm
Agreed and the Event Organizers called it.

PintxosTO - A Celebration of Tapas!
Diego replying to a comment from Geronimo / July 7, 2014 at 01:43 pm
Geronimo, why the hate man? And yeah, most of the dishes you mentioned are not even Spanish.

Those Pintxos look deli!! Too bad I missed it, but glad to see the Spanish food scene growing in Toronto!

Love this city!
Tim replying to a comment from Doberman Pintxer / July 7, 2014 at 01:46 pm
Regardless of the food doesn't sound very good event, you had to choose a "session" to go to, your ticket was only valid for one session? Had to buy a $10 ticket to get in, then had to pay for the food. I'd just as soon go to a restaurant then, or to the event Geronimo was recommending, not really worth the hour drive to downtown if I can only stay two hours.

Morning Session 1130am-130pm
Afternoon Session 130pm-330pm
Average price point of dishes: $2-$7
WELL / July 7, 2014 at 03:16 pm
I went to the afternoon session and it was exactly what I expected: pricy entry for mediocre selection of pinxtos plates. I think I spent around $30 for food and drinks, excluding the $!0 entree fee. Did I have a good time? Yeah, I was pretty buzzed after an hour with my friends. Would I do it again? No. It was way too hot with hardly any seat in the shade. I've been to a TUM event at Brickworks and I thought that had way more selections and it was funner.
WELL / July 7, 2014 at 03:18 pm
I forgot to add, the food was okaaaay. I enjoyed the iberico ham and the ribs from Bar Isabel, but the other places weren't too memorable.
Latte replying to a comment from WELL / July 7, 2014 at 04:06 pm
Sounds like the best option is just to go to Bar Isabel for lunch and spend your $30-$40 there, without cover charge.

I understand all events need to make money in order to operate, just like any business BUT if your going to host an event and charge cover make sure its an EXPERIENCE a HAPPENING.
Deb / July 7, 2014 at 04:42 pm
MMMMMMMMMM now I'm hungry, I love Tapas! Sorry I missed this, Must GO to Julies Snack Bar this week, must go....
TK / July 7, 2014 at 04:54 pm
It's spelled you're (for you are).
Dan / July 7, 2014 at 06:12 pm
People from Spain are the biggest posers.
reg replying to a comment from TK / July 7, 2014 at 06:46 pm
Save a tree, and/or fish. Posting uses electricity the less characters you use the better for the environment.
People in Glass Houses... / July 7, 2014 at 06:51 pm
How is Spain doing financially? Thought they were in a financial crisis right now.
Daphne / July 7, 2014 at 07:23 pm
Richard: before calling someone an idiot, maybe you should learn some geography and know that "Pais Vasco" or Basque is in Spain, so i don't know which two countries you are refering to...
Claire / July 7, 2014 at 10:27 pm
Omg. Did I need to know the geography to know if I think the food tastes good or not? Let me eat first then I'll learn the story. Spare the history lesson its boring.
Daphne / July 7, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Im from there, so i know exactly where it is...
NativeTorontonianAl replying to a comment from vic / July 7, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Churros are definitely Spanish food, as in Spain. It is eaten there as a breakfast food or a snack - with their hot chocolate.
Daphne / July 7, 2014 at 10:36 pm
And regardless, he was refering to Pais Vasco as a country, so your point is invalid
Xose replying to a comment from vic / July 7, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Churros were invited in Spain.

The best ones will always be from there

Xose / July 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm