Tuesday, October 21, 2014Cloudy 9°C
Eat & Drink

15 photos from Toronto's biggest beer festival

Posted by Staff / July 28, 2014

toronto beer festivalToronto's Festival of Beer once again descended on Exhibition Place this weekend, bringing with it 120,000 litres of beer from 300 brands, and approximately 30,000 beer lovers (of varying degrees of sophistication) to drink it all. Beers were discussed, samples were downed, and many steins were raised, then clinked together, in a celebratory gesture.

Check out all the suds-soaked action in our gallery from the event.

1 / July 28, 2014 at 11:56 am
I can see why the beer store sponsored this event. It looks like an outdoor store for them complete with poor selection.
Chester replying to a comment from 1 / July 28, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Beerfest isn't some hipster party where we get excited about tasting different craft beers. I've been going to beerfest for since it started and it has to be one of the best well managed events in Toronto. People pay for their $40 ticket to drink and mingle, and listen to music, thats it. I'm glad the beer store sponsored it, it just means more money for an even better event.

Anyone who went to beerfest, you won't hear them saying I wish they had a better selection then the big beer store guys have because most people went to get drunk and party.
Kate replying to a comment from Chester / July 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm
^ accurate
1 replying to a comment from Chester / July 28, 2014 at 12:17 pm
What does hipster have to do with wanting a decent selection of beer at a festival called Toronto's Festival of Beer?. They should change the name if beer isn't the focus to Toronto's festival of drink and mingle, and listen to music, thats it.
I enjoyed the Beau's replying to a comment from Chester / July 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm
To each their own, but with over 300 different brands I did not have a problem with the selection. There was everything from the big names to local craft brews. Guess you had to be there,

The top 10 beer festivals in Toronto for summer 2014
Chester replying to a comment from 1 / July 28, 2014 at 12:33 pm
http://www.craftbeerfest.ca/ I think this is what you should be attending. Then you and your friends can critique the hoppiness of the particular craft beer you're having.

Beerfest has tons of selection, including many local breweries. You can't hate the fact that the festival has gotten so successful (which is great for the organizers) that small craft startups can;t afford the fee to be there.
Todd - Great Job Beer Store and everyone involved replying to a comment from 1 / July 28, 2014 at 12:40 pm
The reason is because someone looked at 15 photos from the event and said they could see why the mainstream Beer Store sponsored this and the selection was poor. Sounds like a hipster comment to me.

There were 300 different brands represented. Everything from Niagara Colleges teaching brew, to many Ontario craft brews to the big names. Selection and Beer Store sponsorship was not an issue at this event.
1 replying to a comment from Chester / July 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm
I don't have friends. I'm not sure if you noticed but there is a lot of overlap for those two festivals. Which is to say the selection for beer in Ontario leaves much to be desired. And for the record I'm not looking a bitter hoppy beer, I'm looking for a balanced beer with two particular hops.
duder / July 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Yeah unfortunately these photos make it seem that it was an uber-corporate event that only served big label brews, when in reality there were hundreds of small-time and local brewers there (many of them carrying awesomely delicious suds you can't get unless you go to their breweries). There were also food stands/trucks from local retailers, too.

I'm the first person to rail against the Beer Store, but I gotta admit that it was a pretty kickass event.
GO AWAY replying to a comment from 1 / July 28, 2014 at 01:03 pm
Why do people like you feel the need to troll everything? Nobody likes a hipster, so buzz off. There plenty of microbreweries there. Particularly enjoyed a tiny one from just outside of Montreal that was about as small a brewery as you can imagine.
James / July 28, 2014 at 01:12 pm
A pack of matches and the application of lighter fluid to that Coors Light tent would have improved this drunk fest immensely.
1 replying to a comment from GO AWAY / July 28, 2014 at 01:13 pm
People like me feel the need to troll something they are passionate about because people like you are mistaken.
neilson / July 28, 2014 at 01:19 pm
loving the routine anti-hipster sentiment opined with this photo-set.

this crowd looks like a wack smattering of hoobastank fans and microsoft certified IT professionals. i have to hand it to you, toronto festival of beer, you really know how to pull in the dead-eyed, bland suburbanite crowd.

i’ll keep my $40 and kick-it on a patio sans every dork in town.
Ian replying to a comment from neilson / July 28, 2014 at 01:25 pm
Once again judging other on the way they look. Must be a sad lonely existence walking around prejudging everyone before you meet them.

"One must not care about comments made by people who don't know you because even a dog barks at someone it doesn't know"
neilson replying to a comment from Ian / July 28, 2014 at 01:45 pm
your inability to read into the irony of my post is punishingly depressing, Ian.
Ra / July 28, 2014 at 01:54 pm
Didn't realize Nickeback was playing a concert this weekend lol.

All joking aside, I've been to beerfest in the past, and it was a wicked time. Just don't pretend it has much to do with being a connoisseur of beer. Basically just an excuse for people to get drunk and party in the sun...which is totally fine.
1 / July 28, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Now here's some real hipster music inspired by the photo above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3iVHxP8FQ
1 / July 28, 2014 at 02:15 pm
here's some more for you:

and in case there was any doubt of my hipster musical taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtuwAJTXvTU
Ian replying to a comment from neilson / July 28, 2014 at 02:22 pm
This is the internet say what you mean. I'm not going to read into your comment and try and figure out if you're attempting to be ironic or sarcastic. Are you new to the world wide web? Welcome to the information super highway!
Tell me why I don't like Mondays / July 28, 2014 at 02:44 pm
I went to the Saturday session and had a great time. There was a mix of craft breweries and larger breweries present.

My one complaint is the token situation. I arrived at 2pm and by the time I got in and bought my tokens it was 4pm. The problem was that there were only 2 token areas and tokens were not pre-packaged in certain amounts. It was painful watching the people selling tokens literally counting one by one for each customer (the guy in front of me bought 120!). Offering only a prepackaged number of tokens next year/more booths would fix this.

Otherwise great time!

odd replying to a comment from Tell me why I don't like Mondays / July 28, 2014 at 04:21 pm
years past they've always had prepackaged tokens.
you would pay $20 or 40 or 60 and get the equivalent in tokens in a little plastic coke baggy.

not sure why thats changed,
Jeff replying to a comment from Tell me why I don't like Mondays / July 28, 2014 at 08:20 pm
This has been a consistent issue each year I have gone. While they did have prepackaged number of tokens in year past (they probably sold out and we're recycling the tokens and hadn't rebadged them yet) the lines were super long. They should use an electronic system next year like they did at Taste of Toronto this year. Tap to pay, tap again to confirm. Feels like they don't care to improve the user experience since nothing seems to have changed with the token situation (but there we're take set 3 token booths last year). Personally I don't find the admission fee worth it but would definitely go for free/if won tickets
Sean / July 28, 2014 at 10:01 pm
There were line-ups for tokens. We found out about via social media pretty quick and sent the TFOB crew to break the lines with more tokens for beer lovers as fast as we could. The end result was this https://twitter.com/TOBeerFestival/status/493152852483649537 - no lines.

It was another awesome weekend!

The social media team.
Teena / July 28, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Great selection of beer from the craft brewers, even smaller ones that aren't part of the mainstream.