Thursday, November 27, 2014Cloudy -1°C
Eat & Drink

Negroni week set to land in Toronto

Posted by Liora Ipsum / May 27, 2014

Negroni Week TorontoNegroni Week, a worldwide celebration of a drink that's become progressively more popular over the last few years, takes place from June 2nd to 8th. In Toronto, 10 participating bars and restaurants will mix up new twists on the classic gin, vermouth and Campari cocktail and support a charitable cause of their choice by donating a portion of each sale.

Red Sauce, for one, will be doing its signature Draught Negroni ($6) on the rocks, while Souz Dal plans to craft a version with salty black liquorice flavoured bitters and hints of vanilla. Let's hope someone does a version with a bit of Aperol in addition to the Campari, as that's a great little tweak that smoothes the drink out a bit.

Other participating bars include Banu, The Senator, La Carnita, The Whippoorwill, Ursa, SpiritHouse, Miller Tavern on Bay and College Street Bar.

My oh my, that's a lot of drinking to do.

Donut Weak / May 27, 2014 at 12:33 am
Didn't we just finish International Ritz Cracker Week? Negronis are vile, and it is fun to watch someone who orders it but has no idea what it will taste like. Medicinal is the word that springs to mind...
Wharf / May 27, 2014 at 09:55 am
Lot St. at Queen and Bathurst had signs up for Negroni week as well. I've had their "Little Italy" before and it's fantastic. Gin, Aperol, Martini Bianco, and orange/juniper bitters. Definitely not medicinal haha
Tess replying to a comment from Wharf / May 27, 2014 at 10:09 am
Ahhh good old Marketing making you think you need to try this drink during a particular week over anything else...

MUST HAVE. MUST TRY.
Kate / May 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm
What BlogTo forgot to mention specifically is that $1 from each Negroni sold goes to the charity of the bar's choosing. College Street Bar will be supporting Prostate Cancer Canada, while other Toronto bars have chosen Sick Kids among others.
Stanley / May 27, 2014 at 03:48 pm
When's Vodka Soda week? Or Jameson's shots week? How about Mai Tai week crossed with Coconut Helmet week? Veal Parmesan week with Chest Hair appreciation week? Ratan Patio Furniture with Snowboard wax week in October.
DS / May 27, 2014 at 03:56 pm
The last time I got shitfaced on Negronis, I lost my pants. Count me in.
Hillary / May 27, 2014 at 04:46 pm
Gross.Not only do they taste awful, they've become the chicken fingers and fries, or pene alla vodka of the cocktail menu.
Pippozz / May 27, 2014 at 11:16 pm
For a Negroni Week a would expect some special deal, not weird versions of the best cocktail on earth. At least, it seems to be a good charitable initiative. I'm in!
CityPainter / May 27, 2014 at 11:18 pm
I've just discovered the negroni over the past year or two and it's become one of my favourites. At first it was a bit of a shock because most cocktails these days are so sweet and sugary. But when they're made well, the negroni has a great balance between sweet and bitter. I'm happy to see it getting some exposure. Best of all, if you don't like it, you don't have to drink it!
Tom / May 28, 2014 at 12:40 am
Aperol in my negroni, I don't think so.
Expensive Cocktail Week / May 28, 2014 at 10:49 am
Instead of charging me 18 bucks for a cocktail and then donating a buck to charity, charge a more realistic amount and I'll donate to my own charity. That way I know for sure the money actually gets to the charity and doesn't get forgotten somewhere along the line in the cash till.
Charity? What Charity? Are they registered? / May 28, 2014 at 11:10 am
A charity of their own choice? How thoughtful, can they provide a list of the charities they are actually supporting so I can know where my dollars are going? And then I can drink somewhere that supports charities that I also am in line with?

Otherwise how do we know when,how and if the money is even going to a legit legal charity and not being hidden as we all know there's a lot of under the table activities that go on at bars.

I would like a list to help with my confidence in this Negroni week. Otherwise should I just assume all charity dollars are going to buy Girl Guide cookies from the bar owner daughter so she can win a prize. Ohh no wait the charity could go to buy new beds for some of the under paid staff from the bar...
Gavin / May 29, 2014 at 02:59 pm
Sorry to hear the comments about the lack of faith in charitable returns from the participating bars. College Street Bar and BartenderOne have been regular contributors to both Prostate Cancer Research, Breast Cancer Research as they have both affected my family deeply.

The Negroni is my favourite cocktail, and I'd love to share one with any of you to show you how a little love can make a great historic cocktail one that we can all appreciate.. and maybe the charitable donations will help you or someone close to you get through a tough experience.

Doubters and naysayers are welcome on June 9th when we remit the cheque to

Prostate Cancer Canada
2 Lombard Street, 3rd floor
Toronto, ON M5C 1M1

Charitable Registration Number BN 89127 0944 RR0001
CountNegroni / May 29, 2014 at 03:11 pm
The Miller Tavern will be selling Negronis all week for $3. Full sized, and donating to charity.
Jessica / May 29, 2014 at 03:40 pm
Sounds like y'all need to lay off the quote unquote bitters... geez.

As a longtime lover of the negroni, I'm excited to try some interesting variations.
Ray replying to a comment from Gavin / May 30, 2014 at 02:54 pm
Hi there,

Thank you for posting. It's not a lack of faith in the charities or the donations. Its pretty common to let customers know where the dollars are going if your promoting an event and charity. It's my hard earned dollars that I'm spending just like to know if I'm taking part in a charity event which charity I'm supporting so that

1. I can spend my dollars where I want and for the charities cause that I most support.
2. So I can have a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm actually supporting a good cause with my dollars.

Otherwise it just come across as "we've got 20 different bars and 20 different charities, just spend your money and we'll spend it with the charity of our choosing"

Say for instance I don't want my dollars going to CAFE: Canada's new charitable hate movement

CHEERS