Wednesday, October 1, 2014Light Drizzle 15°C
Eat & Drink

La Carnita set to open in the Beaches

Posted by Liora Ipsum / March 25, 2014

La Carnita TorontoLa Carnita is expanding into the east end with a second taco shop in The Beaches. The new location at 1953 Queen Street East will be similar in size to the original and offer the same signature Mexican street foods with a few minor tweaks.

Alongside tacos, tostadas, and queso-covered corn, expect the new menu to ramp up its dessert offerings. Owner Andrew Richmond plans to accessorize the new outpost with a frozen treat counter that's tentatively titled, Sweet Jesus. The take-away counter is set to offer a line up of ice cream by the pint and fruity paleta ice pops to-go.

Look for the new location to open its doors in June.

Eric / March 25, 2014 at 09:43 am
La Carnita - take caution, the beaches is a very tough place for a restaurant
DVC / March 25, 2014 at 09:53 am
Big Mistake!
alison / March 25, 2014 at 09:58 am
I absolutely LOVE your food, but living in the Beaches, College & Bathurst is just so damned far to go ... so this just totally made my day!!! If you continue to put out the quality of food at the new space (+ the extra tweaks mentioned) I think you'll be an absolute hit!!! And there's no better time to launch a restaurant in the Beaches than the start of summer! Oh happy day!! ;)
Streapm / March 25, 2014 at 10:01 am
Good luck La Carnita! Hope you eke out the mediocre.
Mayor Ford / March 25, 2014 at 10:09 am
Sorry Carnitas...

...I don't need to eat out here; I've got more than enough to eat at home.
jen / March 25, 2014 at 10:35 am
Wish someone would open an organic Mexican restaurant in Toronto ----corn is #1 GMO crop
Rob / March 25, 2014 at 10:49 am
Whether someone uses organic ingredients for the tortillas or not, edible corn is and always has been a GMO crop.
jon / March 25, 2014 at 10:51 am
This will be a welcome addition to the Beaches. If there is any doubt from anyone I would go and ask the folks at Hogtown Smoke how they are doing. They are slammed and there is always a wait to get a table!!
Mikey / March 25, 2014 at 10:51 am
I am a long time beacher. Good places can work. Hogtown doing well. This place can rock it if it is good
Dave replying to a comment from jen / March 25, 2014 at 10:52 am
Maybe that someone you speak of is you. Open it if you think there's demand for and organic Mexican restaurant.

Also Organic Foods are not always GMO free.

Anyway enough of that back to La Carnita! Welcome to the neighborhood!!!
Gabe replying to a comment from Mikey / March 25, 2014 at 11:00 am
Hows Licks doing?
Sumit / March 25, 2014 at 11:12 am
I will personally keep this place in business, The Beaches needs some good food options.
Mike / March 25, 2014 at 11:29 am
All I can say is, the Beach needs another fast food chain outlet like it needs a hole in the head.
lawd replying to a comment from Gabe / March 25, 2014 at 11:29 am
not a good benchmark. Licks closed most of their locations not just the beach location. Poorly run franchising sank their ship and diminished their product. Sad but true. For the record I miss licks alot.

la carnita welcome to the hood!
Mike replying to a comment from Gabe / March 25, 2014 at 11:29 am
Gone.
mark / March 25, 2014 at 11:48 am
Crap location. Address should 2000 Queen or further East on Queen.
toomuchcoffeeman / March 25, 2014 at 11:51 am
They're opening this in a good sized space that last had The Works burger joint in for a disastrous few-months stretch before they cratered. A few doors down the block is Hogtown Smoke for excellent BBQ, so this block just got very interesting..
Mikey replying to a comment from lawd / March 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Fully agree. Licks was always busy in the beach. Terrible management basically took down the entire chain. The Works bombed because their menu is too extensive and just was not that good
danforth queen / March 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm
The Beaches!!! Why didn't they come to the Danforth???? There is a ton of restaurant traffic, subway access and zero tacos good tacos on offer :(
KTO / March 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm
This is fantastic news! It's slowly overhauling on Queen East. I live there and we welcome ANY prospects of good food in the area since it's been lacking for so long. Spaced far enough away from XOLA, they should both be able to thrive. Though I hope it gives Z-Teca across the street a run for the their money as that burrito chain in particular is sub par.
Dishwashin Dude replying to a comment from danforth queen / March 25, 2014 at 01:19 pm
Whatever dude, I know where to get plenty of taco.

*wink*
jon / March 25, 2014 at 02:52 pm
What does Licks have to do with anything? The entire chain went down and the building it was in has been torn down to build condos! Queen E. is finally getting interesting. Good food is definitely welcome and will do well.
Sarah / March 25, 2014 at 03:06 pm
I wonder how the Tupac and Biggie playlsit is going to resonate with the family folk of the East End.... I'm about it though.
Matt / March 25, 2014 at 03:42 pm
This is awesome! Can't wait to have them in the Beaches. I will also personally assure they stay in business. I'll be a regular.

They are smart to move here - not a lot of competition and will be much welcomed by the hood.
CaligulaJones replying to a comment from Rob / March 25, 2014 at 04:47 pm
Yep. Corn was being genetically modified before Europeans even got here to Turtle Island.

Or is that different, somehow?
Oh Lawd / March 25, 2014 at 05:15 pm
Picture La Carnita filled with soccer moms and strollers.
Vibe killed.
Steph replying to a comment from CaligulaJones / March 25, 2014 at 06:18 pm
Sorry but no, that is not the same thing. The crops you are thinking of were modified using selective/cross breeding and hybridization... these methods have been used for a very long time and are nothing to be worried about. Techinically, I guess you could call plants "genetically modified" when they are produced this way, but they are not something we should be concerned about. GMOs are very different (created in a laboratory through the use of gene splicing) and didn't come on the market until the 90s.
Steph replying to a comment from Rob / March 25, 2014 at 06:25 pm
That is not the type of GMO people are concerned about, though. A lot of organic corn is hybridized, which is technically "genetically modified", but it is not genetically modified in a lab. That is the process we should be concerned about. It is definitely possible to get organic, non-GMO corn.
Steph replying to a comment from lawd / March 25, 2014 at 06:27 pm
Totally agree. Licks screwed up big time when they moved to frozen, pre-made burgers - the quality totally plummeted. I guess it was in an effort to streamline their production with their grocery store offerings... which, ironically, is the only part of the business still making any money.
trevor / March 25, 2014 at 06:42 pm
I hope the place does well. They need to make nice with local parents and that means cheap kids options and bland food for kiddies otherwise you won't get parents all because the fun sponge children think everything is too hot to eat.
DanSir88 / March 25, 2014 at 07:55 pm
I will not eat Mexican food. I will not visit Mexico even though the dollar is good there. I will do nothing with Mexicans until they stop killing Canadian visitors.
JAM / March 25, 2014 at 08:28 pm
DanSir88: I live in Mexico and I also live in Toronto. Canadians get killed in Toronto every week! I will be interested to try this restaurant to see how authentic it is.
veronica replying to a comment from Mike / March 25, 2014 at 09:53 pm
This is not a fast food restaurant. Know what you're talking about before you say something.
veronica replying to a comment from Mike / March 25, 2014 at 09:55 pm
Danforth / March 25, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Should have been opened on the Danforth -the beach is a massive mistake. I can say that having lived there!
Blk1 / March 25, 2014 at 11:36 pm
So many people saying this won't make it in the beach...are you all daft? Beaches needs more food like this and I'll definitely be going there. DOWN WITH MEDIOCRE BEACH ASIAN FOOD, UP WITH MEXICAN!
JH / March 26, 2014 at 09:36 am
Finally a good restaurant in the beaches. I'm tired of having to go to Leslieville for good options!
Mike replying to a comment from veronica / March 26, 2014 at 01:30 pm
With all due respect, Veronica, it is a fast food place, in the fashion of The Works, Burrito Boyz etc etc etc. They may be a step up from McDonald's but it's fast food just the same, compared to restaurants. And the fact the food is ethnic doesn't make it any less so. Ethnic fast food joints are taking over the Beaches and are even encroaching on neighbourhoods like Danforth. I wouldn't mind a few, but we need a wider range of eating establishments.
Justin / March 26, 2014 at 02:17 pm
This is huge news. My absolute favourite Mexican place opening up a second location closer? Made my day. I don't mind going down to College and Bathurst, but this will most likely double the amount of times I visit.