Sunday, April 20, 2014Partly Cloudy 12°C
Eat & Drink

8 Hamilton restaurants & food shops worth driving for

Posted by Liora Ipsum / December 2, 2013

Hamilton RestaurantsHamilton restaurants and food shops are thriving right now. So too is the city's music scene. In fact, Steeltown seems to be in the midst of a cultural renaissance of sorts. So when I was invited to tag along on a chef/investor-oriented tour, I jumped at the chance. Sure it was accompanied by a PowerPoint pitch (a la timeshares everywhere) aimed at highlighting the cheap real estate and aggressive financial incentives currently offered to lure potential investors and entrepreneurs to its downtown core, but for me it served as a sampling of the city's thriving food scene.

Ultimately, what I saw made me a little jealous. The city enjoys progressive attitudes towards food trucks; their Artcrawls, Supercrawls and Dishcrawls boast enthusiastic participation; existing business owners seem to share more of a camaraderie than sense of competition; and, aspiring businesses are encouraged and accommodated by consolidated government services that are offered in a one-stop shop. As robust as our food scene is, Toronto could learn a thing or two, I suspect.

Here are some of my highlights from the thriving Hamilton culinary scene.

cheese shoppe hamiltonCheese Shop on Locke
This four year old fromagerie occupies a 2,500 square foot shop and offers 500 or so varieties of cheese, ice cream, preserves, canned goods and giftwares. The selection focuses heavily on Quebec and Ontario goods, plus hard-to-find, small batch producers. Co-owned by interior designer Catherine Corey and certified cheese maker Torsten Krueger, the shop not only operates a retail destination but also as an event space for wine tastings and private functions.

chucks burge rbarChuck's Burger Bar
This burger bar owned by Chris Preston is so popular it's soon to open a second Hamilton location. The menu boasts handcrafted patties made from every meat imaginable: Angus beef, lamb, venison, bison, chicken, turkey and even bacon (that's right, ground bacon patties). Premium extras include nine different poutines loaded with everything from curry to lobster, plus, small plates, turkey wings and rotating daily specials like bacon wrapped cheese curds and garlic breaded mushrooms.

naromaNaRoma Pizza Bar
Also on Locke Street, this bustling pizzeria that does brisk business in square slices and Roman style pies. Here, the crust is special, the product of handmade dough left to rise for 72 hours before being baked in heavy cast iron pans. It's light and thin but also crisp on the bottom. The menu showcases traditional varieties like a solid Margherita, along with inventive combinations of premium toppings like triple cream brie, prosciutto, fig jam and caramelized onions.

mulberry stMulberry Street Coffee House
This massive cafe occupies the first floor of a landmark building that dates back to 1887. The interior checks off all the signature design features of any hip metropolitan establishment: ornate tin ceilings, terrazzo flooring, exposed brick, upcycled furnishings and rotating exhibits from emerging artists. At the coffee bar, owner Ella Shepherd brews locally roasted Coffeecology and is known to offer an accommodating selection of gluten-free and vegan fare. Adding to its charm are the colony of artist lofts situated on the floors above.

burnt tongueThe Burnt Tongue
Primarily a soup shop, the menu from Chef Dan Robinson at this casual spot has evolved to also include Belgian style fries, craft burgers and specialty sodas. The compact shop is known to offer a daily roster of six or so hearty, house-made soups with crunchy or fresh garnishes in varieties like Senegalese Peanut, Moroccan Lamb Meatball and Curried Sweet Apple.

culantroCulantro
A contemporary eatery opened by chef Juan Castillo that offers fresh takes on traditional Peruvian foods. The menu features composed plates of chicken empanadas, quinoa croquettes and pork belly chicharron for generally $10 a plate or less.

Roux
This commissary is owned and operated by the pioneer food truck team formerly behind one of Ontario's most popular food truck, and supplies commercial kitchen space, storage, equipment, branding, marketing, vending opportunities and, a whole bunch of other helpful resources and consulting services to incubate new food based business and food trucks.

radiusRadius
Radius takes its name from its hyper local philosophy of sourcing ingredients. Housed in a restored historic building, the interior takes advantage of original features like 16-foot tin ceilings and exposed brick. Inside, two adjacent rooms function as a casual cafe/lounge and bistro/bar, plus there's an expansive back patio in warmer months. The sophisticated menu from chef Lance Gault (former Chef de Partie at Langdon Hall) draws from varied cultural influences and is known to include everything from charcuterie and cheese boards to poutines topped with herb roasted pork shoulder and steakhouse-worthy mains like the ribeye over potato rosti.

Photos by Jesse Milns

Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Uh, nothing is worth driving to Hamilton for.
1 / December 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Including you Tiff.
MJE / December 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm
I would have to add Chicago Style Pizza Shack. This is one of a handful of places in the GTA where you can get Chicago equivalent deep dish pizza
cathie / December 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Earth to Table Bread Bar is fabulous. Their baked goods are definitely worth the drive.
BlogTodotcom replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm
Perfect BlogTO-style comment. A+
jc / December 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm
The Harbour Diner is the best. The breakfasts and dinners are good and it is so unpretentious. It's what all these other restaurants want to be.

Try the meatloaf. You will melt.
Cody / December 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Earth to Table Bread Bar. Went for taco tuesday last week before the Hayden show and it was amazing.
Mike replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm
@Tiffany

That's the typical Toronto attitude. Stay in Toronto, we don't need you here anyways.
GP / December 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Go to Claudio's Ristorante - best Italian food in the city by far!!
Ian / December 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm
The Burnt Tongue is so amazing! Great food! Great service! Wish there was one in Toronto.
Liz / December 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm
How is Bean Bar not on this list? I regularly drive to Hamilton just to eat there. It's wonderful. http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bean-bar-hamilton
danah replying to a comment from Liz / December 2, 2013 at 01:01 pm
I completely agree the Bean Bar is such a great place. Maybe due to it's westdale location and being pitched for downtown location. I don't go to hamilton much any more but i would certainly go back for the bean bar.
Mae / December 2, 2013 at 01:05 pm
I've lived in both Hamilton and Toronto. I'd have to say that Hamilton lacks the pretention and forced and all too contrived 'cool' of Toronto. I've also lived in London UK, and it's pretty pathetic when Torontonians try and compare the city to London or NY. I'm in Toronto now and definitely consider a move back to Steel Town.
Squint / December 2, 2013 at 01:11 pm
Thanks for this, I just recently moved to Hamilton from Toronto, since I didn't want my first property purchase to be a shoebox for nearly twice the price.

Really looking forward to see what the city has to offer, since there is some mighty fine food in Toronto that I'll miss having.
Jess replying to a comment from Trina / December 2, 2013 at 01:15 pm
I live in the Junction and it takes me longer to drive to the Beaches or East end than it does to get to Hamilton.
Hamiltonian / December 2, 2013 at 01:16 pm
Nice article. As a Hamiltonian who has recently moved to Toronto, this makes me miss my hometown. To everyone saying "What about Bean Bar?"...I'll tell you why it shouldn't be on the list...90% of the items on their menu are frozen. Sorry to burst your bubble!
Hamiltonian replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 01:17 pm
Stay in Toronto. In fact, you probably shouldn't leave King Street/Clubland.
Rich / December 2, 2013 at 01:19 pm
First off @Tiffany, comments like yours are why there is this long-standing hate between the two cities. It's sad as both Hamilton and Toronto have many places worth travelling, but so many have their heads bured in the ground, they don't bother to look over the fence (or along the QEW in this case) and appreciate what each have to offer.

Also, the title says "8 Hamilton restaurants & food shops worth driving for". It doesn't say "from Toronto" to Hamilton. I live in the middle (Burlington/Oakville border), so I travel both directions and agree with the comments on these locations. Great recommendations all around.
mememe / December 2, 2013 at 01:25 pm
Missing a few great ones - The Earth to Table Bread Bar and the Bean Bar for sure, also the food at the Baltimore House is excellent, same for Homegrown Hamilton.
Lastly, my favourite off-the-beaten path Souvlaki place called Greek Palace. Friendly staff, great prices, and super fresh Souvlaki that could take on anything you find on the Danforth.
mike / December 2, 2013 at 01:33 pm
You can take the bus or train to hamilton, no use adding yourself to the existential crisis that is the traffic in front of the ford plant in Oakville (crosses eyes).
milo / December 2, 2013 at 01:35 pm
also - there is no hate between Hamilton and Toronto.

People in Toronto could not give a rats ass what happens there.
PoopedStainedTrousers / December 2, 2013 at 01:37 pm
Chuck's is delicious!!
Mark Moore / December 2, 2013 at 01:38 pm

Slainte Irish restaurant - highly, highly recommend.
Every meal I've ever had there has been great.
Old stone look is nice too. Can't believe it's not on the list.
Me / December 2, 2013 at 01:41 pm
These might be the trendy spots - but you missed awesome spots like Bean Bar, Bronzie's, Black Forest Inn, Hutch's, Harbour Diner, Denningers, Shakespeare's, Lo Presti's, Old Mill, Quatrefoil, La Cantina and a good portion of the Italian restaurants in town. Hamilton has some really great food! And the food at the Bean Bar isn't frozen!!
Kevin / December 2, 2013 at 01:41 pm
Wow the pretentious folk who say that there's nothing worth being in Hamilton for. I guess that they forget the myriad problems of Toronto. (Enjoy your own poverty, pollution, gridlock and apparently.. judgmental natures.)

There are a lot of great picks on here, but I have to echo a couple of commenters. Chicago Style Pizza HAS to go on this list. There's a reason that it's so hard to get a table on Friday or a weekend night. Amazing food that is worth the wait!
foodtruckguy replying to a comment from milo / December 2, 2013 at 01:48 pm
Milo, that's a stupid comment coming from a guy claiming to represent a city currently known throughout the world for having a crackhead MAYOR. Your assinine commments reflect precisely why Toronto is the most hated city in Canada. And you're right, there is no hate between Hamilton/Toronto, just hate for your type of Torontonian.
Simon Howe replying to a comment from Squint / December 2, 2013 at 01:51 pm
@ Squint - my wife and I also just moved from Toronto, similar reasons. Highly recommend checking out Ottawa St near Main. Cool antique vibe, sweet new olive oil tasting bar, and the Saturday farmer's market is pretty damn legit organic produce. Some awesome nature around too: webster's falls and the eramosa karst area blew us away.
Think Again replying to a comment from Mae / December 2, 2013 at 01:56 pm
I love when people throw in things like: "I've lived in London, too" in order to bolster their arguments. Heck, this is the internet, so I'll say: "I've lived in London, Paris, New York, Tokyo and Rome". That will REALLY impress those Torontonians and teach them a thing or two! LOL!

Ryan / December 2, 2013 at 01:56 pm
You should also check out Hawk & Sparrow. My wife loves shopping there - amazingly curated and always a good deal. http://hawkandsparrow.blogspot.ca
Tracey / December 2, 2013 at 02:04 pm
Bean Bar in Westdale for delicious food including a Grilled Cheese from Heaven and the best onion soup (with puff pastry crown) anywhere, hands down!

La Cantina, one of the best Italian restaurants in S. Ontario. Beats NaRoma's pizza and there spaghetti Arabiatta is dreamy.

Deb O replying to a comment from jc / December 2, 2013 at 02:06 pm
Seconding the Harbour Diner. Great breakfasts and extremely inexpensive. We drive out from TO often to have breakfast there.
Tracey / December 2, 2013 at 02:06 pm
Ah yes, Earth to Table's Potato Pizza is delicioso!!
Tracey / December 2, 2013 at 02:14 pm
I am salivating for SOUP now! #TheBurntTongue. I know where I am going next visit to #SteelTown
Squint replying to a comment from Kevin / December 2, 2013 at 02:15 pm
As a previous Torontonian, pretension in Toronto isn't just limited to things outside of the city, you won't believe how many people would tell me that they don't go anywhere east of Yonge street, so once I moved closer to "The Beach" area, they wouldn't come out to visit. Pretty sad.
Dean / December 2, 2013 at 02:20 pm
The Burnt Tongue is the best spot in all of Hamilton! I Hop on a bus from Toronto regularly just to have their soup and belgian fries. Mmmmmmmmm.
Squint replying to a comment from Simon Howe / December 2, 2013 at 02:21 pm
Thanks! I'm still learning my way around the city, kind of a crappy time of the year to go exploring. So looking forward to Spring to do more of that.

I do hear lots about the waterfalls in the area, guess I'll need to get a car now!
Brad / December 2, 2013 at 02:31 pm
Came here expecting culture battles and snob-offs, was not disappointed. Good job everyone! It's comment sections like these that keep me coming back for more.
j-rock / December 2, 2013 at 02:44 pm
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Torontonian who spent 4 of the best years of my life in Hamilton. I love the city, I love the people (and their general lack of pretense), all of the green space and yes, there are definitely bars and restaurants worth making the drive for.

People like "Tiffany" don't speak for all of us.
Andrea / December 2, 2013 at 02:45 pm
kind of disappointed by the places chosen because.

1. radius was awful when i went
2. i got a drink at chucks and it had piece of glass it in.
local / December 2, 2013 at 02:56 pm
I love the grit and old American city feel of Hamilton, which can probably be attributed to the fact that they never got around to tearing down all their old buildings. Such a shame Toronto can't say the same (and I'm a life-long resident). I've been watching Hamilton's renaissance for the past ten years or so, and honestly believe that if they play their cards right, it will become a destination town in its own right.
John / December 2, 2013 at 03:04 pm
So someone doesn't like Hamilton; big deal. Canadians love to whine and complain constantly at how much they hate Toronto, but go ballistic when a Torontonian doesn't like their city. I wish you could hear yourselves and realize how petty it all is.
Sharleen / December 2, 2013 at 03:23 pm
Love Culantro. Have been there several times.
Joyce replying to a comment from Liz / December 2, 2013 at 03:30 pm
wonderful place to sit, enjoy and savor a delectable meal
milo / December 2, 2013 at 03:33 pm
truthfully speaking

i dont know a single person who would consider driving to hamilton to eat something --- ever.

which is why this article is a waste of time.

the people posting about the good things in that hellhole are already people living there.
Me replying to a comment from John / December 2, 2013 at 03:34 pm
And it IS BlogTO, as in TORONTO!! Why would we want to go that far to get mugged in Scarbourough West?
Jeff / December 2, 2013 at 03:36 pm
As a Mac grad, Lulu's Shawarmas are definitely what I miss the most.
Darlene / December 2, 2013 at 03:48 pm
That's one of my posters up there in the Burnt Tongue! They are a great spot for soup on a cold day! I love hiking in Hamilton, and stopping there afterwards is sooooo sweet! Yum!

Radius talks a lot about eating local but they get all their stuff in from Cisco. I find their food disappointing, probably because I had high expectations for a place that was supposed to have a 50 mile "radius" food-losophy. Bit of a let down. Still, it's a lovely building and it's got a sweet patio. Very nice place for a cocktail.

Another spot that is great is Charred on James St. N
So delish! Rotisserie chicken. MMMM mmm mmm - There's a history to the place, but not one that would interest such cosmopolitain folks as you incredible Torontonians. lol (Kidding. I am actually from Toronto, and having lived in Hamilton for a while now, I find that pretentious stuff humorous and ummm... kinda pathetic)

Also, the food at Augusta House is amazing but they often get overlooked for these things because it seems to be marketed as a bar more than a restaurant.
Justin / December 2, 2013 at 03:53 pm
You missed Rapscallion. They also just opened a new place - 2 Black Sheep, that focuses on charcuterie, oysters and cocktails. THE BEST.

Before you go calling Hamilton a hellhole, how about come here for a visit, see what this City is about. I was a Hamilton nay-sayer until I was forced to move here by my wife's schooling, and now given the chance I wouldn't move back to Toronto. It's a great city with incredible infrastructure, fantastic people and wonderful culture.

Actually, don't come visit - the less people that fall in love with it, the easier it is for me to get a house here in the next couple of years!
Dan / December 2, 2013 at 03:54 pm
Wish Hamilton had a subway system :(
kat replying to a comment from milo / December 2, 2013 at 03:56 pm
If the article is such a waste of time, why did you read it? It's the internet, there are literally millions of other articles you could read and write negative, non-constructive feedback about.
Kevin / December 2, 2013 at 04:00 pm
Randy's Hamburger is the best I've ever had. Period. Homemade ketchup and mayo and everything is organic, grass-fed, and local. It's a little off the beaten path but WELL WORTH a visit.

Lyle replying to a comment from MJE / December 2, 2013 at 04:21 pm
I absolutely agree. Best Chicago deep dish pizza around and great pastas to be had there too.
Samantha / December 2, 2013 at 04:23 pm
They are all great recommendations, but you missed Baranga's on the Beach. Great spot for the summer! Amazing patio!
Scott / December 2, 2013 at 04:37 pm
Radius took us for a large sum of money, even after getting a court judgment they have not paid us. this has hurt us, we have worked hard to pay our suppliers after the shortfall.

this type of business practices hurt all of us in Hamilton.
Jess replying to a comment from milo / December 2, 2013 at 04:37 pm
Yeah... you should just stay in Toronto...
Ben S replying to a comment from Squint / December 2, 2013 at 04:46 pm
I'm a former Vancouverite, current Torontonian, with a liking for Hamilton. I live in Don Mills, and I've also noticed a weird 'no-East-of-Yonge' vibe here.
local replying to a comment from foodtruckguy / December 2, 2013 at 05:15 pm
Yes, but that type of Torontonian is generally someone who's relatively new to the city and is highly insecure about it.
Elizabeth / December 2, 2013 at 05:25 pm
Locke street is really hip. I think that Ottawa street should get some love too though. Have any of you been to Poco Loco? So quaint. Good food.
Craig / December 2, 2013 at 05:35 pm
Chicago Style Pizza didn't make this list?
Carolyn replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 06:09 pm
SOOO happy you feel that way Tiffany - too many non-Hamiltonians in this city already. PLEASE be sure to stay far, far away ;)
broooo / December 2, 2013 at 06:16 pm
best espresso in the world is at Gli Azzuri at Rymal & upper ottawa... not really for women though :)... nothing else comes remotely close.

Paninotecca should be on this list but the owners aren`t `hip` enough for the Locke st. crowd which is probably why it isnt here.`

Canadian Carribean Restaurant on concession is some of the best roti available, better than most Toronto places.

La Spaghett, Bean Bar, Detour, Cumbraes, Picones deserve mentions too.

For finer dining Seven Windows is way under rated.
broooo / December 2, 2013 at 06:17 pm
anyone recommending Chicago Style needs to go to Buffalo for pizza... or Fabio`s in St. Catharines.
Me replying to a comment from Carolyn / December 2, 2013 at 06:43 pm
Gladly.
John Palermo replying to a comment from milo / December 2, 2013 at 06:48 pm
The feeling is mutual my friend.
John Palermo replying to a comment from local / December 2, 2013 at 07:01 pm
Unfortunately we have lost a lot of gorgeous buildings to the wreckers ball because of stupitity, fire, "progress".
Anderson / December 2, 2013 at 07:05 pm
Why drive when you can take Go Transit?
DC / December 2, 2013 at 07:26 pm
It's too bad the EcDev dept only took you guys to the 'popular' joints rather than the BEST joints:
-Bronzies (James South @ Forest)
-Capri (John North @ King William)
-EVERY pub along Augusta St (from aforementioned Radius all the way to Gallagher's)
-Gallagher's (Augusta @ John South).. Dorachos. Yes, Nachos made w/ Doritos
-Chicago Style Pizza (Upper Sherman near Fennell)
-Charred (James North @ Colbourne)
-My Thai (John North @ King William)

If you want a REAL HamOnt resto tour, make friends with a Hamiltonian (we're very nice ppl) and get them to take you to their fave, not-so-mainstream restos :D
There are plenty more to come!
Hypebeast / December 2, 2013 at 07:27 pm
Now that Hamilton: the capital of the world is getting a better reputation as a doper city than Toronto, all you Toronto folk want to be the first people to "blog" about how ill the Hammer is, get off the dilsnit you hypebeasts! WE RUN SOUTHERN ONTARIO.
Tom / December 2, 2013 at 07:28 pm
Tiffany , Tiffany , Tiffany, I did not think haters and stereo typers like you were still around. Please dont come to Hamilton because we dont have room for haters like you. Hamilton is such a cool and diverse city with great restaurants, lots of green space, cool neighbourhoods. Unlike you I dont have anything bad to say about Toronto...i work their but I can tell you the minute I exit on Main St East in Hamilton, I say to myself....Im home baby. Too bad your an imature brat and dont know how to embrace differences in cities
Jacob replying to a comment from Jess / December 2, 2013 at 07:32 pm
Jess, you may wanna try transit.
Me replying to a comment from DC / December 2, 2013 at 07:40 pm
Just be careful when they pull their knives.....you may want to run at this point, FAST!
HA! replying to a comment from milo / December 2, 2013 at 07:41 pm
Sounds like a certain city is getting jealous of all the attention it's lil bro has been getting the last year-or-so ;) ;)

Oskee Wee Wee, errrbody!
gem / December 2, 2013 at 08:01 pm
I'm a Torontontian that lived in Hamilton for a few years, I can attest to the many amazing food options on this list (and other places posted by readers).

I miss living there terribly, and try and go back for a visit whenever I can. Hamilton has so much to offer - it's laid back, offers no pretension and continues to develop in ways that are unique to itself.

Burnt Tongue, Chucks, Earth To Table, La Cantina, Harbour Diner, My Thai - just a few of my faves.

I wish Hunan House was still around (it closed right?). I died for those spicy shrimp.
DC / December 2, 2013 at 08:05 pm
And a list of the best 'quick-serve' restos here in the Hammer:

-Nabil's (Wilson @ James North) BEST non-filler, meat-filled Shawarma BY FAR! Whoever suggested LuLu's clearly doesn't understand what Shawarma is)
-Granny's (Robert St @ James North) BEST jerk chicken anywhere (Willy's Jerk in TO comes a close 2nd)
-Tony's Corner (King East @ Walnut) & Greek Palace (John North @ King William) --both are amazing, cheap and delicious authentic old-school greek eateries, they kind you WON'T find on Danforth!
-Bonanza Bakery (Mary @ Murray) NFL-sized sandwiches for $2.50
-Euro Pizza & Sub (James North @ Colbourne) Great old-school subs with actual, locally-sourced meats & veggies. They kind of sub that doesn't give you indigestion (a-la Subway)

And a couple sit-downs I forgot to mention:
-Black Forest Inn (King East @ Ferguson) AMAZING german/austrian food! Mmmm Speatzel!
-Mex-I-Can (James North @ York Blvd) Authentic, DELISH Mexican food. Worth the wait!

Also, Radius is in fact terrible! It's way over-priced, and YES their food is delivered by Cisco so def not local-- in fact, Radius is very Toronto, not so much Hamilton)
JT / December 2, 2013 at 08:09 pm
How is no one talking about Papa Leo's on concession st. It is by far the best breakfast place in Hamilton. Blows away every grease pit in the city especially the Harbor Diner.
Gadjet replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 2, 2013 at 08:16 pm
We'd appreciate it if you'd stay in TO. Suits you to a T.
Grow the fk up / December 2, 2013 at 08:21 pm
My GOD you people have fragile egos and paper thin skin. One person writes that she is not interested in going to Hamilton and half the bloody city of Hamilton is on the warpath to crucify Toronto. Talk about insecurity.

Scratch the surface and this is a VERY nasty, intolerant country. Canadians should stop thinking of themselves as loving, caring all-encompassing citizens; all they want to do is spew hate at other cities that they see as "The Enemy".

Like a group of deluded kindergarten children.
Elizabeth / December 2, 2013 at 08:25 pm
Ignorance is bliss.
GF / December 2, 2013 at 08:32 pm
I would highly recommend reading this blog if you want to visit Hamilton/live here and want a more in-depth review (with pictures) of tons of restos in the city: http://www.thehungrygnome.net/

A few personal favourites that have not been mentioned:

1. Quatrefoil: technically, in Dundas. this was a restaurant good enough to be featured as one of the top 10 new restaurants in Toronto Life 2011.
2. Sagarmatha Curry Palace: some of the best, most authentic Indian/Nepali food I've had. very reasonably priced, great portions, owners are very nice people.
3. Thai Memory
4. Papa Leo's: amazing brunch
5. La Spaghett: simply amazing Italian food. don't be fooled by the fact that it's beside a stag shop - the interior is very tasteful, and you'll be hard pressed to get a table.
Tony replying to a comment from DC / December 2, 2013 at 08:53 pm
greek palace was Tonys corners original location
Jeremy Widerman / December 2, 2013 at 09:14 pm
Earth to Table kills NaRoma. Not sure why it was left off.
Kira Braun / December 2, 2013 at 09:18 pm
Hamilton has many things to offer and should never be discounted as not valuable, or a place no one would want to go. Some of the houses (on the mountain and below) are stunning and well preserved. As a late teen, we would drive to Hamilton from St Catharines to pick up cheese from Salerno Dairy for Ed's Subs on Lake Street, well worth the drive.
It is a great University town, and on more than one occasion, one of my relatives have been in the hospitals there for heart issues - Hamilton has some of the best care around. My mother played in the Hamilton Philharmonic for years... so it offers the Arts as well. I am sure the Restaurants mentioned are indeed FABULOUS!!
Chelsea / December 2, 2013 at 09:34 pm
I love the Burnt tongue! I go there once a week atleast. The people that work there are very friendly and know how to make good soup!I go on their facebook page everyday just to see what they are making for the day.

I do also enjoy Bean Bar. I have never had a bad meal. Everything is so good there!
Alicia / December 2, 2013 at 09:43 pm
I love mulberry cafe! Great list!
stopitman / December 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm
I'd definitely move to Hamilton (lower city) if I had work there, but the commute just isn't worth it. The last 5 years have been great in many respects for the Hammer, especially the lower city, and food is a great example.

My reasons for loving Hamilton: People are down to earth, there's a renewed energy in the city, there is an amazing amount of century old housing stock that is actually affordable, nature is right there (escarpment, Bruce Trail, the lake, Royal Botanical Gardens, Cootes Paradise), and it even has some of its own share of monumental architecture and infrastructure. It still has some things to fix, such as its one way streets like Main and King, and still needs more investment, but things are looking up.
Sam / December 2, 2013 at 11:05 pm
This is a Toronto Blog not blogsouthernontario. Id love to try the food, get a food truck and bring the eats to Toronto! If you bring it, I will eat!
Jay / December 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm
Ahhh yeah Forgotten Rebels poster on the wall of the cover photo. Hamiltons finest band in one of Hamiltons best restaurants, have I arrived in heaven.
Kate / December 2, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Don't forget my two faves!
Rapscallion: www.rapscallionrestaurant.com
and
Two Black Sheep: twoblacksheep.ca
Bud / December 3, 2013 at 12:10 am
Hey there budz, lets go out for a rip in the mud pits in the hammer eh, great times there bud, loven er
Robert replying to a comment from Hamiltonian / December 3, 2013 at 07:07 am
Reply to Hamiltonian.
I'd like to know where you get your information. I own the Bean Bar and you are more than welcome to walk through my freezer. I cut my steaks from fresh Ontario beef my chicken is all fresh I also use fresh smoked ham and so much more. We are a cooking restaurant not a reheating one. I hate that people can write whatever crap they want on sites. I probably fired him/her at some point and this is a feeble attempt at retaliation.
Lisa / December 3, 2013 at 08:07 am
I grew up in Hamilton but live in Toronto now and have for the last 15 years. There are many places in Hamilton that I miss and just can't find in Toronto. There is nothing like Sweet Paradise Bakery in TO. Best apple fritter around! I think my husband would actually consider a move to the hammer if it wasn't such a hellish commute all for the love of a good doughnut!
Brian / December 3, 2013 at 08:50 am
As someone from Hamilton who has lived in Toronto and the GTA for most of my adult life I have to say that there is a “realness” to the city of Hamilton that you just don’t find in Toronto, which is constantly reinventing itself.. It’s comforting.
Nick / December 3, 2013 at 08:57 am
You all have forgot all of the great spots on Ottawa Street. Like "The Cannon" the bacon waffles are amazing. Helens selections are hearty and healthy. Don't forget Dora's deli. Poco Loco has the best tacos and frito pies I have ever had. And Limoncello has entrees and desserts that make the heart pound with joy. We are also getting "Auntie Boom's Retro Cafe" in the near future. I may be biased about Ottawa Street because I have my shop here. I know what Ottawa Street was (dumpy and run down), and have seen what it has become (vibrant, full of arts and culture, and good food). We all win when awesome becomes the norm.
Me replying to a comment from Brian / December 3, 2013 at 09:41 am
Yes, lumber jackets are so real. lmao At least in T.O. the news is the mayor's on crack. In Hamilton it's most of the people that live there.
BR / December 3, 2013 at 09:46 am
I've lived in Hamilton for close to 18 months now with my wife & young daughter, moving for Philadelphia. We LOVE this city. We've lived in many large cities across North America and we now, for the first time, feel at home. We bought a 2500 square foot house near locke street for the price of a 1 bedroom condo in Toronto. 'stopitman' has concisely summed up the reasons why Hamilton is the place for some people. I love Toronto...it's like no city in the world. And if I worked in TO, I'd probably live there because the commute to/from Hamilton would undermine the reasons for moving here. If you've never made the trip done the QEW to Hamilton, you should consider leaving your neighborhood and checking it out. Hamilton reminds me alot of what I used to exist in Toronto. This probably sounds strange (or you just don't understand), but Hamilton these days has a very similar vibe to Portland...super chill, a very active supportive art community, great bars & restaurants, close proximity to nature, and very little pretension.
Steve / December 3, 2013 at 10:09 am
We just bought an awesome house in Hamilton's north end for $150,000! Suck on that Toronto!
and I gotta mention Paco's Kitchen at Barton & Victoria for fantastic authentic Mexican food, the mole was the best ever!
Oh and Jack & Lois, great burgers and patio
and the Brain on James for a relaxed low-fi bar
and The Ship on Augusta for seafood
and of course Hamilton has some of the best old-school dive bars EVER! Someone should write an article about that
Andrea / December 3, 2013 at 10:48 am
My husband Juan is the Owner/Chef at Culantro Peruvian Cookery, and he was honoured to be included in this list - so thanks BlogTO! We concur with the writer of this article that Hamilton is an absolutely wonderful place to open a business these days. We don't know another city in southern Ontario where Juan could have opened a tiny business with a tiny budget and managed to make it work. The reason he could is our fellow Hamiltonians (including our fellow business owners) have been so generous in promoting our small business to others. Hamiltonians are passionate about flavourful, fresh, healthy food! Juan moved to Hamilton from San Francisco (where he had lived for 20 years) five years ago, and was immediately taken with the city. He said and continues to say that Hamilton reminds him of a 1990s San Francisco. We hope lots of BlogTO readers do make the trek to Hamilton - we recommend our street King William, and James N. and Ottawa St. and Locke St. Bayfront Park in the North End where we live... and the waterfalls throughout the city.
L replying to a comment from Squint / December 3, 2013 at 11:09 am
Longtime former Hamiltonian... the city has maps of the waterfalls and lots of them/most are public transit accessible. All of them are bikeable!
Mae replying to a comment from Think Again / December 3, 2013 at 11:24 am
You probabaly "love" these comments so much because they poke holes in many Torontonians belief that this city can compete with other international cities. I live in Toronto and have for many years, I'm still shocked with how hard people try. Being a cultural and desired city shouldn't take so much effort, it should be organic; which it's not in Toronto.
Kane replying to a comment from Grow the fk up / December 3, 2013 at 11:26 am
Also, Jack & Lois one block South of This Ain't Hollywood is fantastic. Great diner come gourmet sandwich shop. Good vibes and reasonable prices with an amazing back patio. Live bands, hip-hop artists and DJs as well as a mini 'drive-in' theatre in the summer. As for 'Tiff' and 'Grow the fk up' (genius), it's not called thin skin, it's called pride. We don't think we are the centre of the universe, we know we are an town which Ontario was built on that now has to re-invent itself to keep the local economy strong and moving forward. I'm a small town boy, lived in Hamilton for a while, then Toronto, but when it came time to buy a house back to the Hammer we went. I love it here. What a great art and music scene to complement some pretty awesome people.
scottd replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 3, 2013 at 11:33 am
I guess that why Hamilton has so many former Torontonians.
Mark M / December 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
I'm a displaced Toronto resident now in Hamilton, and I miss TO too, but Hamilton does have some good food. Also missing from the list: Jack & Lois, Sarcoa, Cake & Loaf (though it's not for dining--pick up your bread and go).
LCB / December 3, 2013 at 11:53 am
Also add: Wasse (Ethiopian)... WORK, Jack and Lois, McCartney & Sons, Gates of India (all located on James St. N.)... Homegrown Hamilton even has a nice selection of sandwiches and coffees.
Harold / December 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Newsflash to BlogTO. Stick to Toronto items. This isn't BlogHamilton, or BlogMontreal or BlogVancouver. By covering other cities you invite throngs of bitter haters to come in and vent their spleen about Toronto. Another newsflash: WE DON'T NEED IT. Take all your hate, folks, and put it in a box.
Squint replying to a comment from L / December 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm
I will absolutely start exploring that soon (by soon I mean probably spring). Thanks!
broob / December 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm
While I think that readers should take the Hamilton-Portland and Hamilton-San Francisco circa 1990s comparisons (this is still Hamilton we're talking about, after all), but I will allow there are some good eats. NaRoma Pizza is absolutely fantastic.

For the all the attackers at the ready, I am a lifelong Hamilton resident.
WhereIsIt / December 3, 2013 at 05:15 pm
Great list, but I would have to say that Basilique easily needs a spot on the list of "Hamilton Restaurants you need to visit". It's not particularly "trendy" but they make great food and they make it right.
J / December 3, 2013 at 05:40 pm
Radius is awful except for the decor - extremely overpriced, painfully slow service, poor beer selection, and straight up supermarket desserts.

I won't mention my favorites because they are already too crowded
Sarah / December 3, 2013 at 08:12 pm
Hamilton and Toronto are both great cities! I would definitely add Gate of India, La Spaghett, Boo's Bistro, The Ship, and the Portuguese Bakery Ola on James N.
Hammer for Life / December 3, 2013 at 08:21 pm
Lived in Toronto for 8 years... what a horrible city! no life, no real people...just the superficial crap.. I hate to generalize because the city was a big part of my life..Hamilton is real...the haters should stay the hell away! Tiff head down to Adelaide club district...deserted nightmare! probly your home
Joe / December 3, 2013 at 08:44 pm
If you want quality Italian food in Hamilton, the best place to go is Valentinos; there is one in Westdale and a new, modern one on Stoney Creek Mountain. Best Panzarattis in the city hands down.
Pat replying to a comment from 1 / December 3, 2013 at 09:14 pm
Right on! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Hamilton. And let's not get into that destructive habit of putting each other's cities down…..I blogged about the relationship months ago…(http://worldclasscity.ca/2013/05/15/torontos-loss-hamiltons-gain)
TO/HAM replying to a comment from local / December 3, 2013 at 09:50 pm
Amen! same deal rite here
TO/HAM replying to a comment from Harold / December 3, 2013 at 09:56 pm
Harold....Toronto ran out of things to talk about years ago...Blog TO would hate to depress their readers on topics like Honest Eds being bought out by Vancouver developers. (i lived in toronto for 10 years//im 30 from 18-28 i was in TO)...consider a short road trip or GO ride to see what Hamilton is doing... go to the right spots and you will see what the hype is about.
jen / December 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm
I am a Toronto to Hamilton transplant, 10 yrs now. Took some time to settle in but its a good place to call home. I commute and don't like that much but apart from that, really love the area. Niagara is close, Dundas (piconnis) is fab and live near locke where most spots are on this list are noted. Good new coffee shop called democracy and johnny's utlizes the rail road tracks nicely for ambience. Close by is an amazing bakery called cake & loaf. Impressed many a TO colleagues with amazing treats who laugh at my choice of hometown. Also try James street -jack & lois - excellent breaky and yes harbour is awesome. I love TO always will, it also feels juat like home but the Hammer is another nice city down the road (and the real estate is certainly worth a look).
Spin Turlock / December 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm
I thought the Toronto/Hamilton feud was a big deal until I moved out to Northern Alberta. The Edmonton-Calgary feud makes the Ontario rivalry look like preschool squabbles. Mind you, there's more money out here, so that might explain the degree of intensity..
I left Hamilton in '09 because too many people from Toronto were moving into Hamilton and driving up the real estate/rental market. Well, ok, there was a woman involved, one who can dress and butcher an elk. You don't find THAT in either Ontario hub-bub, now do you pun'kin?
In any event, it sounds like there are more quality chow places in the Hammer now than when I was living there, so I guess that's a good thing. No mention, though, of the fantastic little Perogy joint on Barton Street, the name of which escapes me. Is it closed?
Well, thanks for listening to my feckless wheezing, and thank ME for not mentioning the Toranna "F" word. Spin Out!
dogfather replying to a comment from milo / December 3, 2013 at 11:05 pm
I thought this was about food recommendations...where does the Toronto against Hamilton Bashing & Stereotyping coming from....Stay away from Jackson Square & crack heads in Hamilton...and don't vote for Rob Ford from Toronto. LOL
Meredith green / December 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm
I am surprised that Fishers Pier 4 didn't make the list. After all he is a Northend award winner. On James St N. I drive from London just to eat there. Hamilton has a ton of restaurants by the look of the comments.
dogfather replying to a comment from milo / December 3, 2013 at 11:29 pm
I rarely go out to restaurants, my home, my kitchen is the go to place with my friends & family...Old School Homecooking is still the best, oh and our bbq never retires in the winter. I even make healthy dog treats for all our dogs. My place is the best the best place to eat at in Hamilton. I have to go, and watch the "Food Network" CHEERS & MERRY CHRISTMAS "from my family to yours"
Andrew / December 4, 2013 at 12:04 am
This list is missing:
Bread Bar
Ole Gourmet
Mex-I-Can
Rolly Rockets Bar-B-Q
The Ship
Memphis Fire Bar-B-Q (15 minutes out of town but it was the number 1 rated restaurant on Urban Spoon in Ontario for a long time, not sure if it still is)
rob / December 4, 2013 at 08:41 am
Hamilton people actually dont care what Toronto people think about our great city dont come here were good. Ps ur mayor smokes rock
Shan / December 4, 2013 at 08:48 am
Great article.. could do a second article on 8 Great Hamilton Food Trucks as well. I'd also have to list La Cantina, Mex-I-Can and Harbour Dinner (which should be #1).
Strav / December 4, 2013 at 08:59 am
thank goodness everyone's missed calling out on the best dim sum and sushi resto outside of Vancouver. It's already busy enough. ;)
ang / December 4, 2013 at 11:04 am
Chicago Style Pizza Shack on Hamilton Mountain FOR SURE

lets not forget Bronzies downtown !!!

great eats !
Jordan / December 4, 2013 at 07:48 pm
A few hidden gems were missed!

La Spaghett - absolutely awesome...try the Milano! http://www.laspaghett.com/

The Cannon - (Great story: when they first opened, the city was giving them trouble with their business licence, so they opened and accepted donations rather than having posted prices! You have to try the waffle sandwiches.)

Thai Memory - The BEST Thai that I have had outside of Thailand...family owned and amazing. Takes time, so go when you aren't rushed and can enjoy.

Chan replying to a comment from GF / December 4, 2013 at 09:00 pm
HEY! thanks dude - that's my blog. Appreciate the love!

And I know everyone is saying EcDev completely missed out on some great restaurants but it was a 4hr+ tour - they could only squeeze in so much food, we could have easily spent the entire night on James North TBH.

And from a hamiltonian perspective, the only reason Radius was on the list was because it shows a new side of Hamilton. It shows investors with money are willing to spend it here, all the other restaurants were small mom and pop shops making a living, they had to show the other side of the spectrum.

And originally Rapscallion was on the list but we were an hr behind and they had to bump us cause the place was packed. Trust me, no one was more disappointed then me!
Tony replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 4, 2013 at 09:49 pm
In the past, I've lived in both Toronto and Hamilton for a number of years each. There are definitely many good reasons to drive to Hamilton. As a plus, in Hamilton one rarely encounters ugly, arrogant and ignorant attitudes there like the one you just expressed, Tyffany, which, sadly, is one of the reasons Toronto is not such a great place sometimes. I've also lived in Montreal, Vancouver and cities in Europe. Never encountered so much baseless, smug superiority as in Toronto. That's one of the reasons many people don't like the place. No, sorry, it's not envy. Toronto can't hold a candle to Montreal in terms of real culture and creativity, for example, but I never heard Montrealers with contempt for, say, Trois Rivieres, the way some Torontonians badmouth places like Hamilton. I guess when you're not really that great, you try to kick others down -- if you're a small-minded, ignorant ass.
Tor / December 5, 2013 at 10:51 am
Hey it's Tor from the Cheese Shoppe on Locke, thank you so much for coming out to our shop and for putting out the word about all of the establishments on this list. There are definitely quite a few more amazing spots in this fine city of ours, having lived in Toronto for a number of years I know first hand the bias that exists against us here, but I challenge Toronto to come and explore our city and discover these gems. And a major shout out to Juan from Culantro, absolutely love his place!!!
Kathleen Cerquozzi / December 5, 2013 at 03:06 pm
Please continue good work!
trish replying to a comment from Spin Turlock / December 6, 2013 at 10:48 am
Carolina's :)
Jabronie replying to a comment from Jeremy Widerman / December 7, 2013 at 12:28 pm
@Jeremy. Bread Bar is good for sure, and comparable for pizza with Terroni's or Libretto of Toronto. However, it lacks the authentic Italian feel and price point value of NaRoma. NaRoma out competes all players in the GHTA, hands down.
Agence / December 7, 2013 at 01:32 pm
DRIVE? GO Transit runs excellent bus and train service to Hamilton.
Alan replying to a comment from MJE / December 7, 2013 at 02:18 pm
Agreed my parents and I visited there frequently when i was growing up.
J.S.G. replying to a comment from danah / December 8, 2013 at 07:27 am
I know why the Bean Bar is not on the list...because it has taken a huge downhill slide in the past few years. It was a big disappointment the last time I was there..overpriced and underwhelming. I scratched it off my list since there are so many other great places to eat in Hamilton now.
Cassandra / December 9, 2013 at 01:34 pm
I'm glad someone already mentioned Helen's on Ottawa St; old-school east European, friendly, and very reasonably priced. I crave the cabbage soup ... like cabbage rolls in a bowl, and reminiscent of my Baba's.

For all the Toronto snobs: Hamilton had an opera house DECADES before Toronto did. It's a city with a long history and its own vibe.
Gail McGinnis / December 11, 2013 at 06:53 pm
you are missing out if you have not tried "Donairs-at-Gage"
they have the best Nova Scotia cuisine anywhere. But the really best part is Sam the owner, he is a great welcoming man who everyone loves
Kman replying to a comment from Tiffany / December 13, 2013 at 09:17 pm
lhvoxduyfhnpoilk. That is as civil as I can be to you right now.
Cc / December 18, 2013 at 04:15 pm
Ben thanh!,!
Steve / January 4, 2014 at 06:33 pm
There is a great new café near Sherman and King St. E. (Yes, there really is!) Good Life Deli - 943 King Street East, just east of Sherman Ave - serves an awesome breakfast and has a great deli style lunch menu including wonderful homemade soups daily. Chef Chadden (yup, a real chef) has developed a healthy but *really tasty* menu. I'm not the only person who's impressed: GLD has a five-star, 97% rating on Urbanspoon. That's no surprise because the food is excellent, the service is very friendly, and the newly renovated space is clean and cheerful. These people are also great supporters of their neighbourhood and so deserving of the neighbourhood's support. You won't be disappointed.
Steve / January 4, 2014 at 06:40 pm
Gail McGinnis is right about Donairs at Gage. I've had their food many times and their donairs are great.
Vag Lopez / January 20, 2014 at 08:43 am
This is only 1/2 the list, the other 1/2 we don't want Toronto snobs at.
Paul / January 24, 2014 at 04:31 pm
This list is more of the trendy places to eat in Hamilton. But what about a long time fave that is forgotten only because it's not located on "Locke Street" or "Westdale Village" or James North. Over 35 years specializing in homemade Italian cuisine. Valentino's Restaurant. The first to bring Panzarottis to Hamilton, homemade desserts like the Sicilian Cannollis. Especially Torontonians (I know, I'm one of them, their cannollis are the best around and for $2.25 a steal compared to the shops in T.O.) would appreciate the great food and pastries at a reasonable price.
Paul / January 24, 2014 at 04:33 pm
Oh, and for those trendy people out there. Valentino's has been serving their home brewed kraft beer for over a year now. Delish!
Monica / January 25, 2014 at 08:55 pm
Bread Bar is way over-rated and over-priced. I mean, really, a $15 hot dog?
Mike / February 4, 2014 at 10:03 am
Definitely worth driving for. These burgers' and pizza's bars look amazing places to visit.
Natasha / February 14, 2014 at 08:25 pm
Valentino's Place is also a great eat!! And it's been around for over 30 years. The Barton street location has the best food.
Matt replying to a comment from Jay / February 27, 2014 at 01:55 pm
+1 for the seeing the FR poster! I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it in the comments!
Adam / March 6, 2014 at 05:18 pm
Pho Ben thanh is amazing. La spaghett is amazing. No one has even mentioned La piazza Allegra. Lo presti. Claudio's. The worx. Sarcoa. Chagalls. Slainte. Chefs wagon has the best burgers. Shenanigans. August 8 and Sapporo. I could go on and on. Except harbor diner. I do not agree. I can cook just as good at home. If not better. La cantina is good but can't compare until they make they're own pastas by hand. They do however make the best pizza on the western hemisphere. Oh and Toronto had great food too. But the people.......Hamilton has Monster Truck so we win. Jeremy Widerman would agree I'm sure.
#HamOnt / March 13, 2014 at 05:39 pm
Looks like the Brain in the top picture: the best bar on James St. N and possibly in the city.
David / March 21, 2014 at 02:23 pm
August 8, Chicago Style Pizza, Pho Dau Bo on Cannon, Duarte's on Barton for veal sandwiches... All gems
Brian Stein / March 21, 2014 at 07:16 pm
The only place in Hamilton that does not have an acceptable counterpart in Toronto is the Chicago Style Pizza Shack. The food there is amazing and authentic, the service is excellent the prices are reasonable.

I've lived in Hamilton for five years and the above is the only restaurant that would, in my opinion, be worth driving from Toronto for.

All other food varieties - American, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Viet, Thai, Arabic, Greek etc. have better options in Toronto. Some cuisines, like Chinese and Persian, are impossible to find in Hamilton at an acceptable quality.

It makes sense: as a potential restaurant owner, where would you have better business - in a thriving expanding multicultural city, or in a withering welfare-trap? Plus, there is more ethnic cultural support for immigrants in Toronto, which would make opening a restaurant more viable there.

Hamilton is dingy and not very nice. I moved here from another decrepit hole and the sentiments about Toronto were the same there. I've learned that people who are not from Toronto try to justify why their town/city is better than Toronto and why Toronto is not good, probably to deal with the cognitive dissonance that Toronto is, for most people and most reasons, a better place to live than most others, especially Hamilton.
Jenny / April 12, 2014 at 01:59 pm
My Dog Joe's in Westdale has the BEST muffins!!!
Kay replying to a comment from Tiffany / April 12, 2014 at 03:44 pm
What a pompous fuck.
Shut up. replying to a comment from milo / April 12, 2014 at 06:05 pm
I don't live there, but my name is for you.
Mister Toronto replying to a comment from Tiffany / April 13, 2014 at 02:43 pm
Yet you read the article anyway, brilliant!
Alessandro / April 13, 2014 at 10:15 pm
La Cantina on Walnut street!
Ali replying to a comment from Tiffany / April 15, 2014 at 08:30 pm
Hmmm. I challenge you to try something on this insightful list. I bet we could find you some crow.
Jade / April 16, 2014 at 03:09 pm
Quatrefoil - Dundas - enough said..
Jade / April 16, 2014 at 03:13 pm
O ya.. and if anyone likes BLT's , Detour has THE BEST BLT's by far :)
somgurl / April 17, 2014 at 01:08 am
Www.thegeorgehamilton.com
Amazing, fresh, made in house food!
somgurl / April 17, 2014 at 01:10 am
Never been disappointed!
Frances replying to a comment from Tiffany / April 17, 2014 at 08:09 am
Hmmm....I am so glad to see these wonderful selections made the grade. There are many more as well. Tiffany; seems you are in a little 'tiff'?? :^D
Frances replying to a comment from Brian Stein / April 17, 2014 at 08:13 am
Brian; "acceptable counterpart"? Please... I could mention Rob Ford but I won't. He is a whole separate blog. :^D
Nikolas / April 17, 2014 at 04:01 pm
Karolina's Restaurant at 757 Barton Street East. The best Polish food this side of Warsaw.
Kristain / April 17, 2014 at 11:23 pm
I'm sad to see that two black sheep didn't make the list, radius should not be on here everyone in the general area knows the place is struggling, and they are attempting to sell, I feel Boo's bistro should be on here, they have an amazing selection of globally infused cuisine! There are so many better places that could be added to this list! Just showing 8 isn't fair to the wide variety of amazing food this town has to offer!
party pat / April 18, 2014 at 02:56 am
the mcdonalds at barton and nash is the best i ever tasted.
Linda Gallant Potts / April 18, 2014 at 12:16 pm
My husband and I grew up in Toronto and despite living in Barrie, Pickering, Brampton and Caledon for many years afterwards, always considered Toronto our home base. We have now lived in Hamilton for three years, and we can honestly say that everything this article says about the city is true. The few negative comments that have been made are indicative of closed minds, ignorance and prejudice towards the city, something we were also guilty of before moving here. The reality is that Hamilton is a vibrant, exciting city, rich in heritage, with a strong undercurrent of cultural and social awareness and community involvement. It has big city amenities but a warm, small-town spirit. It's wonderful restaurants, which you've only touched on here, are indicative of the robust life Hamilton offers. We've never been happier.