This Week in Food: Yakitori Bar, Seoul Food, Aprile Bambina Cantina, The Wallflower, The Whippoorwill Restaurant and Tavern, 501 Streetcar Food Tour
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Veteran Toronto restauranteur, Sang Kim is opening a pair of new restaurants in Baldwin village and documenting the ambitious 30-day process. Expect Yakitori Bar and Seoul Food to open at 1 Baldwin Street on December 1st.
- Aprile Bambina Cantina is under construction next to Great Burger Kitchen near Jones and Gerrard. The sign on the window promises Simple Sicialian Food.
- Rashers is now open on Queen East near Logan. Anyone who is a fan of bacon should head here pronto.
- The Wallflower bar is now open in the old Naco Gallery Cafe space at 1665 Dundas St. West. The owners are the same people behind 3 Speed.
- Bloor and Lansdowne fave the Bloordale Pantry has closed and in its place The Whippoorwill Restaurant and Tavern has surfaced.
- The 100th Grey Cup Festival has stepped up its game with food venues including the High Octane Food Zone at Nathan Philips Square, where $5 options will include venison chili, maple encrusted glazed pork loin sandwiches, and East Coast fish tacos. At Yonge and Dundas Square, the Nissan Family Zone will showcase vendors from the Eaton Centre's Urban Eatery.
- Foodies on Foot will eat its way across Queen Street during the 501 Streetcar Food Tour happening this Saturday, November 17th. The guided tour begins at 11am and makes 6 stops in 6 neighbourhoods. Tickets are $65 to $75.
- MOTOFO (Movember Toronto Food Week) is ready to dominate your calendar with 5 events happening over 5 nights starting Monday, November 26th. The weeklong event features a fall cooking demo from chef Amanda Ford (City Girl Catering); Burgers n' Beer at Kensington Market's Burger Bar; a Fermentation Workshop with David Ort of foodwithlegs.com; Fidel Gastro's one-year anniversary; and the Uncorked Wine Tasting presented by sommelier Allison Slute (Death Row Meals, Pillitteri Estates Winery). Ticket prices, times and locations vary.
- The Depanneur (1033 College Street) and Emily Zimmerman share Secrets of the Vegan Kitchen on Wednesday, November 21st from 6:30 to 8:30pm. This $40 workshop offers plenty to try and taste, plus a recipe package to take home.
- Toronto's best Ocean Wise chefs will battle it out at the 2012 Chowder Chowdown on Wednesday, November 21st at the Fairmont Royal York (100 Front Street West). Tickets are $45 ($40 for students) and offer guests the chance to sample chowder and beer pairings and vote on the People's Choice Award.
- The Cookbook Store (850 Yonge Street) hosts a free in-store event with cookbook writers Elizabeth Baird and Rose Murray presenting Canada's Favourite Recipes on Friday, November 23rd at 6:30 pm.
- The Dakota Tavern introduces Colonel Tom's Beer Barrel Bingo, a new weekly Bingo night, complete with chicken and waffles, drink specials and country music. Local bluegrass raconteur/bingo caller Colonel Tom presides over the first game on Saturday, November 17th.
- The Documentary Organization of Canada will screen the chocolate-themed documentary, Semisweet: Life in Chocolate on Wednesday, November 21st at 6pm at the Revue Cinema (400 Roncesvalles Avenue).
Lead photo from our profile of Burger Bar