Thursday, November 27, 2014Cloudy -1°C
Eat & Drink

Elevated eats coming soon to Pearson Airport

Posted by Derek Flack / April 11, 2012

Pearson Chefs Food RestaurantsThe recent addition of a Mill Street Pub location at Pearson International was exciting in and of itself, but today's announcement that a number of Toronto's best-known chefs have been brought on to elevate our airport's dining options pretty much blows it out of the water. As Pearson takes steps to re-situate itself as an "destination airport" rather than just obstacle to pass through during one's travels, this is the type of development that's likely to convince fliers that a true commitment has been made to improve the user experience (rather than, say, other rebranding attempts).

To get a sense of what's on the way, OTG Management has launched a YouTube video complete with chef interviews and renderings of the prospective restaurants. The production quality may not be particularly auspicious, but the info is a different story. With a projected completion date of summer 2013, here are some of the new restaurant concepts coming to Pearson.

• Guy Rubino will bring his take on Japanese food to Terminal 3 in the form of Acera
  • Master Sommelier John Szabo and Brock Shepherd of Burger Bar and the Kensington Brewing Co. will team up on cocktail bar concept
  • Szabo will also help select the wine for two new wine bars imaginatively named Vinifera
  • Mark McEwan gets in on the fun with a burger bar called Nobel and a panini bar called Fetta.
  • Claudio Aprile envisions a global tapas restaurant called Trillium.
  • What would all this be without Neapolitan-style pizza? Not to worry, Pizzeria Libretto's Rocco Agostino has that covered with Corso.
  • Don't forget the street food! Hemant Bhagwani of Amaya will offer Indian-style street food place at Marathi
  • Devin Connell of Ace Bakery will bring two bakeries called Heirloom to terminals 1 & 3

VIDEO

Tony Janusky / April 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Hurray! Finally! Let's hope some of this shows up in the U.S. Departure concourse, which is perhaps the most sadly lacking part of Pearson (food-wise, and otherwise) :)
stephan replying to a comment from Tony Janusky / April 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm
Yeah, I love Chilis!
Ben / April 11, 2012 at 01:17 pm
Awesome. Now if only there was decent transit available to get there.
james / April 11, 2012 at 02:23 pm
before air canada renewed their contract for the toronto-montreal route at the downtown airport, i was always frequenting pearson's terminal 1.

i fly out mostly every week to montreal for the wknd, unless i have to go somewhere else; vancouver, calgary, ottawa .. and it will be good to see the dining options being elevated because there are too many mediocre/crapper spots.

the best place in terminal 1, is Coyote Jacks; they used to serve burgers until A&W opened up shop next door and were some of the best burgers i ever ate. now, they serve an amazing philly cheesesteack that weighs about 1.5 LBS... not to mention, their fries are fantastic.
SJ / April 11, 2012 at 03:36 pm
So many iPads
Josh / April 11, 2012 at 03:53 pm
Hooray! As long as the follow through is as great as the concept, I'm sold!
Yick / April 11, 2012 at 04:18 pm
Anything Mark McEwan touches turns to mold. Gross gross gross.
Annde / April 11, 2012 at 05:11 pm
Yeah! Finally there will be other options for Pearson employees.
Brad / April 11, 2012 at 10:48 pm
The prices these places will charge really scares me, a bagel and cheese is already $7.00
Gabe replying to a comment from Brad / April 11, 2012 at 11:12 pm
Yeah but I don't mind paying a little extra for a real meal before or after a flight/trip. It's better than having to grab Burger King before a flight to Vegas. They should get a good italian restaurant in Pearson Airport. I've been in other international airports around the world and when you're hungery for a good meal and you search around the airport a good pasta or fire baked pizza is great!!!
Roger / April 11, 2012 at 11:24 pm
I'd still rather fly out of the Toronto Island Airport. Nothing compelling, food-wise, would convince me to go to Pearson as a destination in and of itself.
Jean / April 12, 2012 at 05:55 pm
Just like the prime real estate at the beaches all these locations were handed over without any public bid process. Who selected these chefs and nominated their concepts?? What's being paid for the spaces?? Where's the democracy??
Philip replying to a comment from Jean / April 12, 2012 at 07:28 pm
Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not with that comment, but don't forget that the GTAA is in charge of the airport - a private corporation (correct me if I'm wrong here) so they are free to make these kinds of decisions on their own without public input; just like when they chose the 'outline of a dead person on a sidewalk' for the airports new logo.
Philip replying to a comment from Brad / April 12, 2012 at 07:36 pm
You're right. It is outrageous what they charge there. One of the best and busiest airports in the world, Hong Kong International, is able to offer a wide variety of amenities, all without having inflated prices, and I think Toronto (and other airports) could learn a thing or two from them. Whenever I use Pearson, I either make sure I had a good meal before going there, or head over to the Timmies in T1, so they end up losing out on possible income from people like me. When I am in Hong Kong on the other hand, I have no problem in eating at a number of places at that airport, because they do not inflate their prices (there are actually signs all over the airport informing people that prices will not be inflated!) Sometimes, lowering prices will actually allow you greater revenues ;)
Jean replying to a comment from Philip / April 13, 2012 at 10:02 am
The GTAA is given to responsibility to manage the airport but the asset is public and owned by voters like you and me.
http://support.theaccesspoint.co.uk/ / April 18, 2014 at 09:47 pm
With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation?
My website has a lot of unique content I've either created myself or
outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping
it up all over the internet without my permission.
Do you know any ways to help stop content from being ripped off?

I'd genuinely appreciate it.