Friday, September 19, 2014Clear 6°C
Eat & Drink

These Glory Holes are what creams are made of

Posted by Robyn Urback / January 10, 2012

Glory Hole Doughnuts TorontoAshley Jacot De Boinod admits to being totally "disgusting," hence the name (and tagline) of her gourmet, old fashioned doughnut business — Glory Hole Doughnuts. Since I believe myself to be of the mind of a 15-year-old boy cloistered in the body of an adult female, I can see where she's coming from. Though it was actually Ashley's husband who came up with the name for her company, which has been supplying Toronto with its Maple Bacon, Fried Chicken & Waffles, Lemon Meringue, and other doughnut varieties since summertime.

Ashley came up with the idea when she was working at BUCA and started experimenting with different recipes. She began selling her doughnuts out of the Caplansky's truck and eventually moved to a commercial kitchen, delivering regular shipments to Thor and Burger Bar, where Glory Hole enthusiasts can now find her products.

Glory Hole Doughnuts Toronto"I think the flavour combinations is the biggest factor," Ashley says when I ask her why these holes have gotten people hooked. "That and that they're handmade — there's a lot of love that goes into it." I'm not sure if that last comment is a euphemism, so I let it slide. (Yes, that was a euphemism.)

While finding her own retail location is the ultimate goal, Ashley says she's not hard-pressed to find something immediately. Parkdale would be the ideal neighbourhood, she says, partly because she lives there, and partly because "lots of new things are popping up." Oh my.

In the meantime, Glory Hole doughnuts can be found at Thor on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, and at Burger Bar on Fridays and Saturdays.

Photos from Glory Hole's Facebook page

Miranda / January 10, 2012 at 02:20 pm
These doughnuts are absolutely amazing! I buy them for my Saturday morning hair clients and my 5 yr old asked for them instead if a birthday cake! Truly a masterpiece for the tastebuds!
BillyO / January 10, 2012 at 05:13 pm
As for the donuts themselves, they are quite good, especially the PB&J and Coconut Cream. They aren't on the level of Donut Plant in NYC (donut Mecca), but it's a start for TO. With 50+ cupcake places in the city we could use a few more gourmet donut producers. Kudos to Ashley for giving this a shot and best of luck with opening a store, I'm looking forward to it :)
jazzyjenn / January 10, 2012 at 05:16 pm
genius; creative; and melt in your mouth goodness! love love love these fresh tasting doughnuts! if you have not tried them i suggest you do! They are my weekend indulgence. I personally love the lemon merengue!
A different Chris / January 10, 2012 at 06:11 pm
These doughnuts are absolutely stellar. I had some made for a birthday party and they were fought over. Glory Hole is going to be a "must visit" attraction in Toronto very soon. Mark my words.
Nicole / January 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm
I could not believe how good these were. I loved them. I had three. If I'd been alone at home, it would have been ugly.
fitchick / January 11, 2012 at 11:26 am
I first tasted these gems at a birthday party I attended, I was shocked and amazed at how absolutely delicious these doughnuts really are. I have recently moved out of reach of these glorious treats and there isn't a night that go that I don't crave them. Kudos to ghd for the magical explosion of creamy goodness you are bringing to peoples lives
Google Searcher replying to a comment from chickee / January 16, 2012 at 04:13 pm
These doughnuts ARE quite good. Not incredible but incredibly original for Toronto!

The heavy discussion is about the name!
Google Searcher replying to a comment from I hate people / January 17, 2012 at 12:37 am
All good. I had a PBJ this weekend and it makes all of this seem so trite.
A-Ok / September 19, 2012 at 06:51 pm
Such an adorable place! Tried the lemon meringue and it was amazing! Wonderfully edible! Also best name ever!