Tuesday, July 22, 2014Sunny 26°C
Eat & Drink

Smoked meat goes mobile at Caplansky's

Posted by Derek Flack / May 20, 2011

Caplansky's Food TruckToronto smoked meat fans rejoice — the options for sourcing what is arguably the city's most authentic brisket are expanding. Caplansky's Deli has just launched a bike-based delivery program that'll bring their sandwiches to downtown doors for a $5 dollar fee. Serviced by two bikes, the delivery boundaries are (for now) University, Ossington, Dupont and Queen. Perhaps this signals a trend ? Late last year, Burrito Bike started making two-wheeled deliveries on Friday nights throughout the city's core.

Even more exciting for deli fans and those who can't wait for changes to Toronto's street food laws to take shape is the soon-to-launch Caplanasky's food truck, which will join Smoke's Poutinerie in offering some of the more appetizing mobile food options out there. Here's what, Zane, the owner of the deli, has to say about the project:

"A deli truck is better than another restaurant for soooooo many reasons. First it costs a fraction of what a new space costs to outfit and decorate. Second, it solves the number one biggest challenge of a restaurant: finding a great location. Instead of making customers come to me, I'll go to them - at any time of day... Michelle Rabin and I are doing deals with venues all over the city. This truck is going to make a lot of people happy in the city and I couldn't be more excited. We had just hot dogs for many years then we had carts and now the era of the truck is dawning in Toronto."

Let's hope this prophecy comes true.

Caplansky's Bike DeliveryPhotos from Caplansky's website

JJ / May 20, 2011 at 03:58 pm
My fiance:

"Do you follow my fiance everywhere he goes?"

Zane Caplansky:

"Lady, he's putting my kids through college!"
Liz / May 20, 2011 at 04:09 pm
This is progress people! I've been watching a lot of Eat St. lately on the Food Network, and the west coast of Canada represents, but Toronto is lacking in this kind of fare.

Let's keep the ball rolling! Food trucks unite!
JD / May 20, 2011 at 04:15 pm
@JJ
You sir, are a genius.
Raien / May 20, 2011 at 04:25 pm
Food trucks going to be a trend? We'll see. But I won't expect this to be a huge thing in the GTA. Most likely you can find these trucks traveling to busy AUTOMOTIVE Factories such as Magna and all of its suppliers. I suggest serve coffee with their meals. Canadians love their coffees.
Mark Brownlie / May 20, 2011 at 04:58 pm
I have to say I don't get the fuss over Caplansky's. I have never had a particularly great sandwich there. It seems overrated to me.
fat / May 20, 2011 at 05:18 pm
Zane should really get his restaurant in order before over extending himself.

Corey Dilley (Of Eat St.) / May 20, 2011 at 06:47 pm
Zane contacted me about a week ago about entering his cart in the Eat St. App and I became ecstatic when I realized he was from Toronto. I realize that I'm exposed to a lot more street food news than the average person, but it seemed like Toronto citizens were crying out for a hotdog alternative. I'm glad to see those cries being answered.
Khristopher / May 20, 2011 at 09:48 pm
Bike guy is cute!
jm replying to a comment from JD / May 21, 2011 at 01:23 am
Is it College Street?
Corey replying to a comment from jm / May 21, 2011 at 11:12 am
@jm He's right around College and Brunswick
Mr. S. replying to a comment from fat / May 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm
Why the hate on Caplansky's, @fat and @Mark Brownlie? What's the competition? Tell me where you're going to get better deli within 10km of city hall, and I'd go there!!
dontplagiarizethesimpsons / June 3, 2011 at 02:48 am
@JD - that's not genius, it's a line from the Simpsons... The hotdog vendor follows homer around... and there's a scene at a funeral... and, well, you fill in the rest.

Marc Bernstein / July 15, 2011 at 01:52 am
I can't stand all of the phony,stupid,pretencious Chowhound snobs and their hate for Zane and his classic,great deli!
I've been to lunch and dinner and breakfast many times at Caplanskys: each time has been a gem. Perfect,fatty,juicy wonderful smoked meat sandwiches on great rye bread,terrific service,full of joy,pleasure,warm,cheerful,hearty. The fries are superb. Verst and scrambled eggs are a treat. Coffee is a great blend. desserts are a joy to the palate and senses. It's time for Chowhound Toronto to go the way of the passenger pigeon!!
Bro / November 6, 2011 at 02:50 am
Lol
Marc Bernstein standing up for his buddy Zane's deli.
Your meat tastes like an untasty carpet.

gl tho.
C2 replying to a comment from Corey Dilley (Of Eat St.) / March 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm
Def. There has been a bit of surge of different types of food trucks in Toronto over the past year or so. Having events like TUM and Food Truck Eats definitely helps.