Monday, July 28, 2014Partly Cloudy 16°C
Eat & Drink

Pizza Gigi shut down after drug raid

Posted by Derek Flack / February 14, 2011

Pizza Gigi drug RaidWell, this gives new meaning to the expression "everything on it." Pizza Gigi, the popular Annex pizzeria, was shut down earlier today after police found over $1 million worth of marijuana, MDMA, OxyContin and crack cocaine on the premises. Yup, that's right - crack cocaine. I've seen a bit of sketchiness while waiting for a late night slice before, but crack? According to the Star, police arrived early Monday morning bearing a search warrant just a day after opening an investigation into the restaurant. Owner Salvatore Crimi now faces a host of drug-related charges.

No word yet on the long term fate of the restaurant, but noteworthy is the fact that its business name expired on New Year's day. Businesses have 60 days to renew, but that might very well be complicated given this recent turn of events. I've never been a huge fan of Gigi's slices, but perhaps I was just ordering incorrectly. The key, it seems, was to make sure to ask for a healthy dusting of oregano.

jonathan / February 14, 2011 at 09:39 pm
slices were never that amazing unless you got them at the right time... but buying a fresh whole pie there was incredible.
maybe it was the crack.
Scott / February 14, 2011 at 09:42 pm
Surely it was the mushrooms?
ROB / February 14, 2011 at 09:46 pm
The slices weren't great but the whole pizzas ordered ahead of time were always excellent after a night out.
Tool / February 14, 2011 at 09:50 pm
*Joke about pizza wIth drugs as a topping*
Rick Ross / February 14, 2011 at 09:52 pm
where my 20 points?
Stephen / February 14, 2011 at 09:55 pm
the four cheese slice with "spinach" was awesome. but now I'm left wondering why, exactly, I liked it so much.
Twitter / February 14, 2011 at 09:55 pm
already done: #WasThatReallyOreganoOnMyPizza?
Not Evan / February 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm
awww... I used to get my contraband cigarettes from there... I should note I saw cops in there all the time (1989-2000) and the cigs were always openly displayed on a back shelf - you had to think there was an 'arrangement' for them to be able to stay open. Of COURSE it was a front. But I guess the deal went sour. Ah well.. damn good pizza though.
MAX / February 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm
LMAO. No, for real this time.
Jason Steidman / February 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm
OMG! I was there late last night for an after-gig slice! Turned away by the cops... No clue that was the...deal...
LOL / February 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm
LOL
Shannon / February 14, 2011 at 10:52 pm
I guess what they say is true, you need a second source of income to get by these days rofl rofl
Junius Jr / February 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm
Nobody who saw those sad slices lying on the counter the last few years could think for a minute that these people were in the pizza business.

Boy, it was great back in the 80s though.
Greg / February 15, 2011 at 12:48 am
I like old people jokes.
Justin / February 15, 2011 at 01:28 am
So this is why they were always closed during the day and open well into the night.
yty / February 15, 2011 at 02:12 am
the fact that they were right across from central and not open for the lunch rush seems like a clear indicator that either the owners were really bad at business, or something was afoot. if anything, this bust should trigger an investigation into the "police work" toronto's "finest" are "doing".

cait / February 15, 2011 at 02:24 am
this saddens me!

rip gigi's you will be missed from a regular..
pizza eater that is.
gigi.local / February 15, 2011 at 04:20 am
good pizza however I always figured they were upto something
when i whent infor late night slices they would all smoke cigarettes in the open behind the counter
Ryan L. replying to a comment from yty / February 15, 2011 at 05:45 am
Only in BlogTO's comments would you get a very clear cut case and still have people accuse the police of wrong doing. Keep up the good work commenters.
Slim / February 15, 2011 at 07:05 am
The space above the pizzeria operated as a boozecan for some time. Sammy's an entrepreneur...
tina / February 15, 2011 at 07:43 am
this is the official police news release.

i think its important to note that the only thing he is being charged with trafficking is marijuana (which, is in my opinion a fairly innocuous drug, and a far cry from him pushing crack or junk). everything else was in low enough quantities to be considered for personal use.
Feldwebel Wolfenstool / February 15, 2011 at 08:19 am
In 1973, there was a certain pizza joint (no pun intended) on Yonge Street, just around the corner from Rye High, that was rumoured to sell the ganja.
Mike replying to a comment from Shawn Rusich / February 15, 2011 at 08:24 am
Yeh dude cuz teh MSM would never hear about a drug bust without you, lol
Greg replying to a comment from tina / February 15, 2011 at 08:52 am
Half an ounce of crack ain't for personal use, regardless of legal technicalities.
Carl replying to a comment from Greg / February 15, 2011 at 09:03 am
Its not much of a surprise they got busted. I've bought bud there many times, it was an open secret to everyone involved.
yt replying to a comment from Ryan L. / February 15, 2011 at 09:32 am
at least their pizza was okay, which is more than can be said for the countless *even more* obvious fronts being run in the city.

thankfully, i think there are plenty of places where people are free to be critical of the job police in this city are doing (or not doing, as it were). however, in this case i merely suggested there was more to this story than the fact that a bust happened.
Randy / February 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
"Would you like coke -- err, I mean, 'a Coca-Cola' -- with your slice?"
nippleholic / February 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm
it might explain their less than stellar health record: http://app.toronto.ca/food2/DineSafeMain?userRequest=view_history&;ESTABLISHMENT_ID=9046867
nippleholic / February 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm
sorry, this is the link that works: http://app.toronto.ca/food2/DineSafeMain?userRequest=view_history&;ESTABLISHMENT_ID=9046867
SimonJ / February 15, 2011 at 01:15 pm
About 15 years ago, they ran a really good after hours club in the building attached to them. Pizza has never been their only business.
wolfman / February 15, 2011 at 01:20 pm
I'm shocked! I've tried most of the pizzerias in the Annex and Gigi was the Best! I've never tried their slices because pizza has to be fresh to be at its best. But their freshly made whole pizzas were excellent. Good sauce. Now where should I go? Any recommendations other than Amato, Massimos, or pizzaiolo?
Adam / February 15, 2011 at 01:56 pm
Planet Pizza on College is a good bet.
shoewawa / February 15, 2011 at 02:16 pm
I's a sad pizza day for Gigi I am curious.......what about all of the "flour bags" ?????? which were stacked in that crazy fridge in the front....lol
AnnexAnne / February 15, 2011 at 02:58 pm
What other obvious fronts are there? I went past that place for years and never suspected anything.
Dave / February 15, 2011 at 03:17 pm
Yup, that booze can next door was outstanding. Live jazz etc.
Hugh Ars / February 15, 2011 at 03:46 pm
With all the money they made from selling drugs, you would think they would use some of the profits to lower the price of a slice?
A'Dreema Monet / February 15, 2011 at 04:28 pm
rip gigi...which is not - by the way, in the Annex.
italian / February 15, 2011 at 05:00 pm
Its funny how people make jokes at other people's expense. If people want to do drugs thats their business. The people that sell them shouldnt be to blame. People should be strong enough not to do drugs by their own will. Im sure this guy has a family and friends that will be affected by this... so maybe everyone should keep their comments to themselves... and probably most of you on here smoke weed... so basically you are all hypocrites.
Jen / February 15, 2011 at 06:05 pm
..and to think - during high-school I had to drag my ass downtown to score.
Dave / February 15, 2011 at 06:49 pm
This rings a bell, because I went to school near Yonge n' Steeles, and close by a Coffee Time was busted for selling drugs. They called him Coffee Time Chris and he sold pot, coke, E, mushrooms, hash, all out of the back of a Coffee Time.

So I'm curious, and maybe this is an investigative story idea...Are food establishments better fronts for drug dealing than other retailers? You never hear about a book store selling half-quarters in copies of McSweeney's. Or an Urban Outfitters manager dealing coke on the side. Well, actually, that probably happens.
Latrina Dubutte replying to a comment from Dave / February 15, 2011 at 07:46 pm
Start a file on the subject over at Openfile!
IMIRC / February 15, 2011 at 07:50 pm
Pizza GiGi...the best Pizaa in Town, did you know that??
a self serving friend replying to a comment from tina / February 15, 2011 at 07:56 pm
ummm had you actually read the post you would have noticed every possession count is followed by a possession for the purpose count, hence, purpose and/or intent to sell.
another thing that might have tipped you off would be the fact that they found 1/2 ounce of crack cocaine, now I've never sampled any myself, but a half ounce of anything on that list
other then marijuana is quite a lot, definitely more then personal use here...just to be a stickler
Ruler / February 15, 2011 at 08:34 pm
The Last time i was there the pizza sucked and the guy behind the counter smelled like shit???????
yaki replying to a comment from Dave / February 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm
um, i dont think you will see an urban outfitters manager, or anyone else similarly employed in a chain business doing that. that is because chain businesses are completely different, now mind you, i dont recall if pizza gigi had other locations. nonetheless, most pizza places like that are franchises, so they keep the name but they are still pretty much independantly owned. chain businesses dont have managaers selling drugs because most people who work for chains are dead-afraid of losing their jobs, and at a chain store, there is ALWAYS a superior watching your ass, PLUS security cams. plus, the managers dont need to do the crime, that part is saved for the assholes in the head office.
yaki replying to a comment from italian / February 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm
straight up italian. im with ya bro. a lot of ppl on here are hypocrites and they prolly DO smoke weed. AND I also agree that this is a real person w/friends and family. I dont know about who the blame should go on, i think its prolly a result of a lot of different things such as a people higher up, in government etc, not just the people who use drugs.
Rob replying to a comment from yaki / February 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm
Yaki and Italian as a fellow Italian the blame should be placed on the guy selling the drugs who embarrassed his family and friends by doing so. If he would have put all that effort in improving his restaurant and actually marketing his product he would have been more legitimately successful and would not have sold crap and been busted for a crime which will now stick with him for years. It sickens me that you losers actually try and make excuses for him.
StuGatz / February 16, 2011 at 11:11 am
That place was disgusting. I wouldn't have eaten there if they paid me. Heard stories they used the same mop to clean the stone inside the pizza oven after mopping the floor and washroom, Yummmy !
Next time you have a slice of pizza, check the bottom to see whats stuck to it.
Hugh Ars replying to a comment from italian / February 16, 2011 at 01:57 pm
Eh, fuggedaboudit. Maybe me and you should talk, maybe do some business, if you know what i mean. Some friends of mines might be able to pick up the slack.
Hugh Ars replying to a comment from italian / February 16, 2011 at 01:59 pm
YoYo / February 16, 2011 at 08:07 pm
The pizza was good as long as the slice was freshly made. I never bought the stale shit. Wish I had known about the booze can and 420.
josh / February 16, 2011 at 11:51 pm
I like pizza too
DanBro / February 16, 2011 at 11:57 pm
I'm glad they got shut down for selling crack/cocaine - that's stuff destroys people lives - about the pot - it should be legalized as it is non physically addictive and is healing to some people. RIP Pizza GIGI - correct the location is not in the annex it's the UOFT area.
Anita / February 17, 2011 at 01:06 am
I need a new Pizza place. Maybe we were drugged into liking it !!!
Anita / February 17, 2011 at 01:08 am
I ordered there all the time .It was the best in Toronto.Someone needs to take it over.
chuk roast replying to a comment from SimonJ / February 17, 2011 at 02:07 am
They did not run that booze can Dave and Groovy Steve from the Comfort Zone/Silver Dollar did
Geoff / February 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm
Alright, for the record, it was NOT the best in Toronto.

When ordered fresh, it was very good. When getting a slice, it was usually complete crap (cold, horrible customer service).

I'm not sure why people are lamenting the loss of a business that was OBVIOUSLY a drug front and had a spotted health code violation history.

I had my fair share of Gigi's over the years. I stopped going because the pizza wasn't good by the slice.
Sean replying to a comment from DanBro / February 19, 2011 at 10:03 am
JimBibby / February 25, 2011 at 01:40 am
I could kind of tell. All the ingredients were stored in the front room, so I wondered what they used their back room for. I used to joke about it with my friend, and it turned out to be true. There was also a bong out in the open in the 'front' room.

Once when I was there, one of the chefs was singing in broken english really loudly, and the owner kept shouting "shut up!", which just made him sing louder. I couldn't surpress my laughter. I'll miss their pizza, even if it was occasionally burnt on the bottom.
Jessica / March 2, 2011 at 10:02 am
Gigi's is opening today! That is great to hear. I'm going for a slice after work.
LJ replying to a comment from Jessica / March 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm
nice to see some much support to a drug dealer who's food business is right beside a high school. enjoy your slice Jessica et al.
LJ replying to a comment from Jessica / March 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm
LJ replying to a comment from Jessica / March 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Sauce Boss / March 5, 2011 at 11:51 am
We heard you the first time LJ. Enjoy your slice of moral superiority. I'ma get me a pie!
John / March 5, 2011 at 09:42 pm
Thumbs up sauce boss! Pizza Gigi we think your pizza is amazing.
John kift / April 12, 2011 at 03:29 am
Deport them!!
senior wiseman / January 1, 2012 at 04:06 am
if u have any street smarts at all u would have known that place was fishy as fuck. its true that ppl selling drugs arent the ones making the biggest mistake, BUT the reason why ppl have mixed perceptions of things like this is because of the root problem. this guy was in the wrong. he shouldnt have been doing what he was doing, and im sure he knows more than anyone the repro of this. he should have been smarter. that place was crazy sketched out. they probly had a deal with the cops, and it went sour yes. too bad, but there pizza was good. now hes fucked because of the choices he made, its his own doing. but thinking that cops did everything right and he did nothing wrong is the type of mentality that leads these type of situations to happening.
Po head / February 27, 2012 at 08:35 am
Close the dump
The food inspector are not checking
Pizza Freak / March 29, 2012 at 05:01 pm
When this place closed down I started to get the twitches and could no longer sleep at night without my slice.
lilywilliamsff / May 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm
Howdy via California! I am bored to tears at work and so I made a decision to try your site on my Browse This Site iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, excellent site!
Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog read what he said post or vice-versa? My blog covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!
Right now it looks like BlogEngine is the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what You Could try these out you're using on your blog?
Good post but I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit Click For More further. Many thanks!
Ajay replying to a comment from jonathan / September 18, 2012 at 02:08 am
Heyy. I just moved to the Annex and tried Pizza Gigi for the firsr time, & it is one ofe the most delicous pizzas Ive ever tried!