Wednesday, October 1, 2014Cloudy 15°C

This is what Captain John's looks like right now

Posted by Derek Flack / August 8, 2014

Captain Johns The fate of Captain John's, the now fossil-like former floating restaurant docked at the foot of Yonge St. remains up in the air as entrepreneur James Sbrolla attempts to get an extension on moving the boat out of the harbour by August 22nd. Sbrolla and his brother John acquired the rights to the boat on July 31st with a $3000 deposit of the $33,051 they bid in total for the vessel.

The deadline to pay the remainder was yesterday, but the buyers are still working with the Port Authority on a possible deal to close on the boat and get it moved, though the destination remains unclear.

There are a host of complications related to moving Captain John's, not the least of which is unhooking the ship from its Hydro connection. "During a recent storm, the stern on the boat moved significantly," explains Sbrolla. "The water is very deep in this slip." It will need to be towed, of course, but rumours that the boat is stuck in mud appear to be baseless.

As for the interior of the ship, it's mouldy, dilapidated, and just plain spooky. One can still imagine the grandeur the vessel enjoyed when it first arrived in the 1970s, but it is now in a state of ruin, and quite possibly worth more as scrap than anything else. For his part, Sbrolla would like to save it, but that appears a long shot right now.

Take a tour below decks at Captain John's in this photo gallery.

TBA / August 8, 2014 at 11:00 am
Oh, don't kid yourselves--this thing will be in the harbour *forever*. After the joke that has been the attempt to get rid of it for the last gazillion years, I simply cannot accept that it will finally be gone until I see it with my own eyes. Same goes for the renovation of Queens Quay. TTC resuming service Aug 31 is a complete weaslkash....excuse me, I just fell out of my chair and had to get back up!
Potrzebie / August 8, 2014 at 11:06 am
I don't think one can make a serious case for any future other than the cutter's torch for Jadran.

The real question is -- where will the scrapping take place? Port Colborne? Turkey? India?
Sam I Am / August 8, 2014 at 11:50 am
I wonder why do we not have our own version of New York's 'Frying Pan' restaurant/bar instead of this sullen vessel sitting abandoned along the waterfront?
KevinN / August 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm
I wish we had two of these.
canuckone / August 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Thanks for the pic links... always wondered what the interior looked like. I for one won't be sorry to see this eyesore be taken away.
Justin / August 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Derrik - do you have an email contact for mr sbrallo ?
Gill / August 8, 2014 at 01:34 pm
Neat pictures, I always wanted to see the inside of this boat. I think it's great that these two brothers liked this thing enough to pay for and then maybe make something of it. I love old boats and I hope this one comes to something useful. If it can be restored to some of it's former glory then, yay.
Skye / August 8, 2014 at 02:03 pm
A colleague and I went for a drink on this thing years ago (around 2006) as a joke. It was already a musty living time capsule, like drinking in somebody's creepy basement that should have been renovated decades earlier.

All it needs now are four kids, Scooby-Doo, and John Letnik disguised as a ghost, and we've got ourselves a wacky adventure.
torontorocks / August 8, 2014 at 04:03 pm
Justin.... google Sbrolla's name. You'll find him quite easily.
torontorocks / August 8, 2014 at 04:05 pm
So many haters. This thing is like Honest Eds. Out of it's time but not necessarily completely useless. It's a kitchy part of Toronto's past just like the Sam sign, and Honest Ed's sign. Ask anyone over 40 and guarantee they have fond memories of eating at Captain John's.

Frankly I like the idea of turning it into a floating Museum of Toronto!
James / August 8, 2014 at 08:42 pm
Sink it and turn it into a Mr. Submarine.
Boris / August 8, 2014 at 09:52 pm
Would be awesome if they turned it into a venue like "Artemovsk 38" in Budapest. Too bad it'll never happen.
Adios / August 9, 2014 at 01:09 am
It had its day. Tow it out and junk it.
The photo session was SUPERB. Thank you! Brought back memories.
I had a really creepy lunch there back in the late '80's, with workmates. I remember cold, squishy little defrosted shrimps on a buffet. A nadir in awfulness for cuisine. I pushed a pile of junk around on a plate, politely, until everyone from my office was ready to leave. Grateful when that moment came, I gave the plate a decent burial with my polyester napkin, and fled the scene.
raz Mataz / August 9, 2014 at 01:46 am
I was expecting to see Olivia Chow in one of those pics as she is always wanting a photo-op. I wonder why she has not proposed turning it into a co-op for homeless people.
gary / August 9, 2014 at 07:03 am
Ohh and don't forget Olivia Chow would need to be wearing a capitans uniform....
Niklas / August 9, 2014 at 10:11 am
The photos are nice but every time I drive to loblaws by Jarvis I wonder why that ugly boat is still there..
raz Mataz replying to a comment from gary / August 9, 2014 at 10:45 am
Like one of those black leather "Cap'n sailor boy" uniforms the Village People would wear? I HAVE to see that!