Wednesday, October 1, 2014Light Drizzle 15°C

The best and worst hospitals in Toronto

Posted by Erinn Beth Langille / July 17, 2014

hospitals torontoWhat are the best hospitals in Toronto? What are ones that could use some love? In a country with universal healthcare and hard working doctors, nurses and staff, it's sticky to call out a hospital for its old facilities or long wait times without considering all of the factors. Hospitals in busy downtown neighbourhoods often have higher traffic volumes and older buildings, and construction for necessary updating and streamlining, takes place in already tight quarters.

I'm personally very grateful I can walk into an emergency room and be treated without worrying about the bills that will follow, and I'm happy to pay the taxes and/or wait a little longer so that everyone can be taken care of.

In any work place there is often one bad apple spoiling the bunch. With hospitals an overworked or tired night nurse or doctor with gruff bedside manner, can make for a rotten experience in an otherwise stellar environment. But, as many have experienced, not all hospitals are created equal so take this post as simply a starting point to discuss some of the discrepancies.

UPDATE: As noted above, this article is meant simply as a discussion starter and is not meant to be interpreted as a definitive ranking of any kind. The list below was largely based on suggestions from our Twitter followers and is not based on any analytical or other comprehensive research.

BEST

SickKids
What can you say? It's clear everyone who works at SickKids wants to be there, and the number of non-medical services and care workers, plus the celebrity connections (Argos, Maple Leaf players) keep Sick Kids moneyed, high profile, and as close to a pleasure to visit as any hospital given the unfortunate circumstance that might land you there. Bonus points for an emergency room that's well-streamlined for kids.

Mount Sinai
The cafeteria ain't great, but the service is stellar. Mount Sinai is well known for quality of natal care, as well as having a wonderful broad community feel. Previously named one of the GTA's top employers (in 2010), the hospital is a major research facility thanks to the presence of Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute, which employs over 600 staff.

Sunnybrook
Like Sick Kids, You can see that the staff enjoys their jobs. There is amazing all-round quality of care. Highlighted by the recently overhauled and gorgeous birthing unit, the hospital is one of the most up to date in the city (save for its power lines). Once part of Sunnybrook, Women's College also deserves major kudos and is getting a major overhaul.

Credit Valley
Currently ranked best hospital in outer Toronto in multiple reports, the Credit Valley Hospital is huge and sprawling. It was opened in 1985 so buildings are comparatively new, and are noted for fine natal care, responsive ER, and professional staff. It's crucial medical stats (including mortality and readmission rates) are some of the best in the GTA.

St. Mike's
Any downtown emergency is going to be swelled with patients, and St. Mike's is no exception, taking in a ton of traffic- increasing wait times and chaotic ambiance. But St. Mike's has a great reputation for men's health, amongst other care. While it's key clinical stats put it at national averages, patient care services are highly endorsed.

COULD USE AN UPGRADE?

Toronto East General
Aging buildings with a history of long wait times won't win you any favours (the average ER wait time is pegged at over six hours). There is an overarching tired, weary feeling which doesn't create the most welcoming energy in times of need. On the plus side, clinical stats have it as comparable with other hospitals of its size in Canada.

St. Joe's
People love to hate on St. Joe's. It's an old, rather confusing building that's in need of some updates, and the emergency can be slow (almost a six hour average wait). Good news is they have moved away from a paper-based filing system to an electronic one (see video here) so things are on the upswing. Also, we received many kudos directed toward St. Joe's nurses and doctors.

Toronto Western
A world-class brain and ortho treatment centre, facilities especially designated for artists, the open atrium and other perks can't deflect some of the criticism of the Toronto Western hospital. ER can be slow (over a six hour wait is average), the building a little confusing to navigate, and readmission rates are above the national average. That said, it's important to bear in mind that this is still a world class facility.

What do you think are the best hospitals in Toronto? What are the ones that could use a bit of an upgrade? Add your thoughts to the comments.

Peanut Gallery / July 17, 2014 at 10:41 am
"especially"?
AV / July 17, 2014 at 10:44 am
You best and worst choices are based on what metrics? Or is this just another "I feel.." article from BlogTO staff?
liviaChowChow / July 17, 2014 at 10:53 am
Where are the worst hospitals? I see the "best" and "need and upgrade" but not the ones on the "worst" list.

I need to know which ones to avoid in case I get shot by some gang member even after I've implemented my "no gunz" law!
Hermioseta / July 17, 2014 at 10:54 am
A better way to evaluate hospitals is to talj to negligence lawyers. They all know the large between the big 3 that are sued for negligence far more than the others.
steve / July 17, 2014 at 10:54 am
I agree that St Mikes is great for men's health. But would not use their emergency ward, Mt Sinai is my choice.
Hermioseta / July 17, 2014 at 10:56 am
Talk not talj...the large gap...I'm a negligent speller 'cuz the bus went over bumps.
Alexander / July 17, 2014 at 11:13 am
This post dangerous. A bunch of non-experts posting unverified drivel about hospitals. BlogTo should be ashamed of posting this.

It's one thing to rate tacos, it's quite another to rate medical care the same way.
AgreeAlex / July 17, 2014 at 11:20 am
I agree 100% with Alexander. This is a weird and totally baseless article.
Sophie / July 17, 2014 at 11:21 am
This is a really stupid list.

So much of what makes a hospital the best in Toronto depends on what your issue is.

If you need brain surgery - its toronto western
if you have a high risk pregnancy - its mount sinani
if you are a kid - obviously its sick kids
if you get shot - go to st. mikes
if you need an organ transplant - its Toronto General
etc. etc.
ya sort of / July 17, 2014 at 11:22 am
The should have kept it to the state of the building, etc.

Ryan / July 17, 2014 at 11:25 am
The hospital at Finch and 401, Number River isn't top notch either.
Chester / July 17, 2014 at 11:29 am
A few years ago I had a sepsis infection (blood poisoning) living in Etobicoke I went to St. Joes. Now everyone I know bashes St. Joes. Yes it's old, lacks certain modern amenities, but that place saved my life. Hospital Row places get pumped with money because of their centralization and Sunnybrook because its relatively new and in a wealthy area but more important then wait times and and modern tech is competency. St. Joe's has great nurses (such an under looked attribute) and knowledgable doctors. Also being a teaching hospital you get extra care from both new nurses and their instructors teaching them.

OHIP isn't perfect it prioritizes based on emergency. I had a friend who broke her arm and had to wait 4 hours to be seen and cast at St. Joes but she was probably delayed because there might have been someone dying of a heart attack.
noturkind / July 17, 2014 at 11:29 am
Yes please BlogTO do not write articles about hospitals. I know your website loves to rate things in Toronto but for the love of god PLEASE stop trying to be serious about anything. Your here to rate ice cream shops not talk seriously about the state of our medical care in the city. Know your place on the internet and stay within the realms of it. Know that all you and your staff produce is fluff and keep producing fluff
Kate / July 17, 2014 at 11:41 am
yeah, have to agree that this is way beyond the scope of Blogto and its readers/contributers. I have been to a fair number of hospitals but not all so can't comment from a patient's perspective on which are best/worst. Lists of something specific (and verifiable)would be a good idea (wait times etc).
Hermioseta / July 17, 2014 at 11:54 am
In the old days Scarboro Gen, Branson & St. Jo's were the 3 sued the most, but that was in the '70s & '80s.
jhermain Tupac replying to a comment from Ryan / July 17, 2014 at 11:54 am
But they can remove a few slugs from my bros, they have a lot of xperiense wit dat in this hood
Hermioseta / July 17, 2014 at 11:57 am
Again, long ago, the hospitals that kept religous management were badly managed, St. Mike's being the exception as a teaching hospital.
vonfunk / July 17, 2014 at 11:58 am
I've rarely had a long wait time at Toronto Western, I waited a few hours when I sprained my ankle, but I've gone in multiple times for serious medical emergencies and the longest I was ever waiting before being admitted was 45 minutes. I've only ever had one bad experience in the ER and that was because the surgical consult was a jerk.
badbadnogoodatall / July 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Hilariously poorly-informed and badly written piece. Would be funnier if the typical blogTO comments pop up:

"Ummmm, you know there are hospitals north of Bloor, right?"
"I can't believe you missed North York General, they have the best bathrooms"
"TGH completely took away my pain, would make the list if only they had better parking"
Pants Go Brown / July 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Seriously, who rights this crap and on what basis is this assessment made?

Had a family member who ended up at the East General Emerg on Easter long weekend. Care was excellent and surgery took place on Easter Sunday when everyone was eating chocolate.

You should think abt the damage you do with misinformed garbage like this article.
G / July 17, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Eek, agreed. Please be very careful when posting such serious content about which your knowledge is probably limited. I love BlogTO, but I don't think it's your place to be commenting on the quality of hospitals. Medical care is an extremely serious business and hospital management etc takes the health and care of their patients very seriously. The appearance of a building does not necessarily reflect the quality of care patients receive inside.
elizabeth / July 17, 2014 at 12:54 pm
this is really irresponsible and a really problematic list. even for blogto, i'd expect better. you can't rank hospitals and attempting to do so will compromise the system itself.
D / July 17, 2014 at 12:59 pm
I am a long time follower of blogto but after this posting - will have to rethink supporting a website that posts inaccurate information on serious matters.

sw / July 17, 2014 at 01:17 pm
The author clearly knows NOTHING about medicine, which comes across in this shitty, baseless article. Every hospital specializes in different medicine... "Best & Worst Hospitals in Toronto.." Give me a break.
sw / July 17, 2014 at 01:21 pm
Also, regarding your "info" on Toronto Western having slower than normal wait times (6+ hours)... This is generally the norm at MOST hospitals.

Over the years, I've had my share of ER visits. I waited seven hours to be seen at Sunnybrook's ER with a severe kidney infection. I waited five hours to be seen at Humber River Hospital after swallowing a very sharp object (I was a kid). I waited two hours at St. Mikes because I knew an Emerg. doctor on duty.. It all varies!!

You can't just post these types of articles off of personal experience and hearsay. Shocked at the editor's poor choice of content. GET INFORMED.
sw / July 17, 2014 at 01:22 pm
Oh I forgot the most important part of my last comment... My friend had what he thought to be a sprained ankle, went to Toronto Western, was seen within ONE HOUR - turns out he had a shattered ankle and they dealt with it immediately.
DavidC / July 17, 2014 at 01:49 pm
I normally like BlogTO but this is a VERY stupid list (apples & oranges and all that) plus Sunnybrook and Women's College were divorced about 3 years ago and are separate hospital again. (WC actually has no in-patients now so is more a health centre but ...)
chris / July 17, 2014 at 02:36 pm
This is a stupidly irresponsible article. How the hell does the writer determine what makes a "good" hospital versus a "bad" one?

Do yourself a favour. Stick to your lightweight restaurant reviews and leave the serious articles to professionals please.
St. Joseph's Health Centre / July 17, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Contrary to what this post suggests, St. Joe’s has been implementing an electronic patient record. Here's a video about this exciting change: http://youtu.be/dK7j9JH3O7w

- St. Joe’s Corporate Communications team
Heather / July 17, 2014 at 04:51 pm
Hey!! Markham Stouffville is my number one GTA hospital.. The few times I or my family has used the facility they have been amazing .. Nice and patient friendly. Always have felt totally looked after ! I I would rate it number 1
Pat Anderson / July 17, 2014 at 04:53 pm
Sunnybrook and Women's College divorced in 2006.... http://sunnybrook.ca/media/item.asp?c=9&;i=441
Andre replying to a comment from Peanut Gallery / July 17, 2014 at 04:56 pm

Note definition number 2.
Joanna / July 17, 2014 at 04:58 pm
Agreed with the above comments... this is a dangerous and uninformed post.
Yes, certain hospitals have reputations for their strengths or weaknesses, but the wait time of an emergency room is nowhere near as easy to pass judgement on as the wait time for your french fries. Hearsay on the state of the medical care you'll receive isn't the same as hearing you're going to get an epic steak and being upset because it didn't meet your expectations. Hospitals are incredibly complex institutions with tens of thousands of procedures, administrative duties, staff members, and unexpected scenarios occurring every day - not to mention the financial and political factors that come into play as well.

Be grateful you even live in a city where there are this many available hospitals and medical experts, and until you've read the statistics and reports on every procedure and comparisons across the country and world, please stick to the patios and donuts.
scottd / July 17, 2014 at 05:00 pm
Not exactly sure what metrics are being used here. St. Joes by the way had a major reno a few years ago and I have had some of the best service of any hospital there.
Jason / July 17, 2014 at 05:00 pm
I think all the hospitals I've dealt with - St Mikes, Sick Kids, Mount Sinai - have been very good. No complaints. I was a patient at Sick Kids at age 6 for open-heart surgery and I cried when it was time to go home. Either the care I got there was exceptional and I had a lot of fun, or my home life was horrid and I didn't want to return. In either case, I have a special place in my heart for Sick Kids, because they healed it.
d / July 17, 2014 at 05:01 pm
Calm down, people! Are you really going to rely on BlogTO when deciding which hospital to go to?! Give 'em a break!
Vicki Mary / July 17, 2014 at 05:02 pm
I've noticed a lot of people always BITCH on BlogTO articles and going on and on about it's scope and the scope of the readers! Unless you personally know the blogers and all the readers of BlogTO in T.O. & the GTA (WHICH YOU DON'T)STFU!!!!
Yes, I agree with some and believe that more research and education can be put into certain topics before posting. However, I think it's awesome BlogTO is trying to reach out into different topics and try new things!
Mistakes and bad blogs are a way to learn and as far as I'm concerned no human is perfect!
Danielle / July 17, 2014 at 05:14 pm
North York General... upgrade.
M / July 17, 2014 at 05:25 pm
My son was born at St. Joes in their brand new neo-natal centre. Care, facilities and nurses were all top notch. Probably worth a mention in the article, no?
BH / July 17, 2014 at 05:33 pm
"Irresponsible"

What freakin' hyperbole is this? I hope its the same person posting multiple times because anyone that makes a health care decision based on a blog deserves whatever they get. It's as bad as self-diagnosing using WebMD.

Don't take it seriously and there's no problem. Anecdotes about various GTA hospital experiences in the comments are probably more useful than the original article, but it doesn't mean we have to start running around like Chicken Little here.
Esther / July 17, 2014 at 05:48 pm
This is a ridiculous article. Having lived in this city for over fifty years, I've had my experiences with many of these hospitals and emergency triage and waits. You clearly are basing your drivel on nothing!!!! You have got it so wrong.
MedUser / July 17, 2014 at 06:14 pm
You have to be kidding this list of deeply flawed
Toronto Western is part of the best network of Hospitals in the city UHN
Toronto Western along with Toronto General and Princess Margaret (both of which are not even mentioned) are all world class teaching hospitals... St Mikes is a filthy pit I wouldnt send anyone there... for the most part its old and falling apart. If any Hospital needs a refresh St Mikes should be at the top of that list considering they are one of only 2 trauma units in the city...
These I feel like BlogTO Articles have to stop do your research to leave the University Helath Network Hospitals off the list and to have one in the needs a refresh list shows how little research the person who wrote this did...
LorenaTO / July 17, 2014 at 06:33 pm
Whoever wrote this article has never been in the 'streamlined' SickKids ER, were the average wait time is three hours. Do some decent research. As per the merrily happy staff, it seems I've been to a totally different place..
Waiting By the Payphone / July 17, 2014 at 06:52 pm
"Please stop the ambulance while I consult BlogTO to decide where I should be taken."
Cris / July 17, 2014 at 06:52 pm
Interesting comment about Mt. Sinai's high quality natal care - while many moms agree with the care given to babies, the same can not be said about the attention paid to the moms. While I was there, I begged the nurses and doctors for 5 days to check me, and they all though I was just complaining and being a nervous new mom. It turned out I was starting a severe infection and had full-fledged postpartum depression. Eye contact? None. I chose Sunnybrook for my second baby, and what a difference - you are treated like a human being!!
CEI / July 17, 2014 at 06:54 pm
Obviously this list could use a little more research, but there's no question you can -rank- hospitals. It's way easier to rank hospitals than it is to rank ice cream parlours in TO because they actually have data.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/just-1-of-13-toronto-hospitals-gets-above-average-grade-1.1336079 ?

Side note: I checked into Toronto Western ER at 11:00pm -last Thursday-. The waiting room had a drug addict pushing over computers asking for pills and a swearing alcoholic that needed two police officers to cuff him on the ground. I didn't leave until 4:00am and I still wasn't able to get a mandatory ultrasound until the next day at 1:00pm where I waited 2 hours for my ultrasound before I could even talk to a doctor about the results. Anecdotal, but it definitely wasn't as smooth as it could be.
Bibi / July 17, 2014 at 07:40 pm
Um. You know that we have more than 8 hospitals in Toronto/GTA right? (Credit Valley makes the list but not Scarborough Grace or York Centre?)

Perhaps a more effective way of presenting this information would be to assess each hospital based on a consistent set of criteria, e.g. wait times, quality of care, services offered etc. It's an interesting topic, but I felt that while the headline promised Best! Worst! what it actually delivered was "good" and "meh".
goodboyfine replying to a comment from AV / July 17, 2014 at 07:45 pm
Metrics? Do we have metrics? We don't need no stinkin' metrics.
Karen / July 17, 2014 at 08:00 pm
Women's College has been divorced from Sunnybrook for several years. If you don't even know that basic fact I'm not sure you can speak to the quality of service at any of these institutions.
lxpatterson / July 17, 2014 at 09:34 pm
St.joes has paper charting, so what? How does it affect you as a patient? On the other hand it certainly affects the docs and RNs who use it on a daily basis, and the jury is still out on whether it is an actual improvement at that level. And I think you should care about how these folks feel rather than a hospital appearing to have all the latest bells and whistles.

Personally, I find echarting can often be implemented in a way that encourages sloppy documentation and communication. There's actually an interesting -although tangential- article in the New Yorker about e-documentation and reading.

Stephanie / July 17, 2014 at 09:41 pm
Oh no, Blog TO...

Given the scope of your knowledge, it would have been smarter to do a segment on what exists around the hospital's location for patrons to "escape" to. Where to get a quick bite/take out if you hate hospital cafeterias, where to grab a drink if you need a distraction, best green space around to chill out, cool stores to buy gifts at, etc. You could definitely be more creative than this article suggests...
Beck steer / July 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Don't be in a hospital on a weekend. There are never any doctors or nurses around! And why do people get infections,etc. when they're in the hospital? Because they aren't kept clean and sterile like years ago. I remember when only 2 visitors were allowed to visit at one time and no one was allowed to sit on the beds. Now it's a free for all . No wonder patients get sick.
Tim / July 17, 2014 at 11:11 pm
Thanks for the comments everyone. Please note this article is meant simply as a discussion starter and is not meant to be interpreted as a definitive ranking of any kind. The list was largely based on suggestions from our Twitter followers and was not based on any analytical or other comprehensive research. It was not meant to be interpreted as such and the writer tried to make this clear in her intro to the list. I have also since added a note above.

A special thanks to everyone who chose to weigh in with constructive comments about their experiences at Toronto hospitals. This was exactly the type of discussion we hoped this post would foster.
B. Ross Ashley / July 18, 2014 at 01:53 am
I worked at Sinai for 35 years, so I am biased ... its rep as a good place to work was highly dependent on effective militant union leadership. The dietary department got its kitchen outsourced long ago, so the food is standard hospital fare now ... used to be we had the best blintzes in TO, folks.

As for which is the worst, I could tell tales out of school, but the very worst have been amalgamated into others now so things have probably changed.
Hermioseta / July 18, 2014 at 10:29 am
It is possible to point out the worst, or at least the bottom feeders. Harder to pick the best. It has little to do with medical staff, everything to do with management and funding. Non-teaching hospitals pay less for managers, or at least used to; when I worked in hospital management, we knew the issues but we couldn't upgrade/hire without money. Rationalization of physical plants/services have improved things, but 1 nurse cannot provide the services of 2. Same with specialists, old equipment.
Dr Who replying to a comment from Tim / July 18, 2014 at 10:34 am
Tim,

I assume you work at blogTo, correct? Did you check the name of the article? It is "The best and worst hospitals in Toronto", not "discuss the best hospitals in Toronto". Do you need a brain transplant?
Tim replying to a comment from Dr Who / July 18, 2014 at 10:57 am
Thanks for your kind words Dr. Who. I would ask you to read the article itself and not base your comments strictly on the title of the post.
thekid / July 18, 2014 at 11:59 am
this article is extremely stupid and insensitive ... do u take into account people's family (mine included) and friends have passed at these hospitals and maybe reading an article on that hospital saying it's basically lame isn't something they want to hear? ... grow up
sonny / July 18, 2014 at 01:11 pm
Such a dumb list! And how was credit valley ranked one of the best when IN REALITY it's the worst hospital ever and has a very known nickname as "death valley". And MOST (not all but majority) of the doctors and staff that work there are horrible with bad attitudes!
Josh / July 18, 2014 at 05:10 pm
I've worked at St Mike's and Sunnybrook, and have been to TGH, Western, SickKids, and Humber for various reasons. I was born at Sinai.

I do think this article is very ill-advised and poorly thought-out. But taking it as a matter of location, food services, and design, here are my thoughts:

St Mike's - easily the best located of any hospital in the city, at least insofar as access to transit and, well, the Eaton Centre are concerned. It's true that it could use some renovations, but it's not bad overall and has the advantage of a nice cafeteria and conveniently located Second Cup, Starbucks, and Tim's outlets.

Sunnybrook - an annoying out-of-the-way location that's relatively inaccessible from transit. It's also huge and a correspondingly huge pain for doing call. The call rooms themselves are extremely well equipped, but they're about a 10-15 minute walk from emerg (feels much longer). The place is ridiculously spread out. Food isn't great either, with standard issue suburban food court fare. Unfortunately, since there's nothing around nearby, there are no alternatives. From what I understand parking is ridiculously expensive. I understand why downtown hospitals might charge more - concern about getting filled by commuters - but Sunnybrook is off by itself.

TGH - nice lobby, decent enough place to have an interview at!
Western - superior food court, slightly grungy area
SickKids - mall atmosphere in main atrium, never been there much, peds hospitals can be kinda smug places though
Humber - this one is fairly unpleasant, but will soon be completely replaced so it's something of a moot point. It will be cool to see how the new fully electronic system works.
Sinai - weird claustrophobic design, not much food service, overall probably hasn't changed much since I was born there (in 80s)
Tally / July 18, 2014 at 09:52 pm
Humber, both sites, are hospitals to avoid. My every experience at both hospitals has been horrendous with only one of dozens of visits being remotely acceptable and that was with direct access to paediatrics. The emergency ward is slow to say the least and because of policy and procedure, I had the opportunity to witness staff wave their hands in the air and let an infant die because they hadnt registered or been admitted yet. Its dirty and most of the staff dont seem too thrilled about their jobs. I had one lab tech refuse to draw blood from my new born infant child in a manner that was least traumatic for her because its not how she does things and had to sit through my baby being tormented cause I said I didnt want her touching my child cause there was no one else to do it. With exception to the paediatric ward, Dr Singh and his nurses are amazing, the rest of Humber is awful and highly not recommended for anything!
Sally Bratt / July 19, 2014 at 11:56 am
St Joes might be a bit dated in regards to it's decor, and I can tell you the food was awful, but the Dr's and nurses there are absolutely amazing. In 07 I had a colon rupture and almost died. My surgeon, Dr Harmantas, saved my life. I had some serious complications and spent 5 weeks in that hospital. I was so so SO sick and the nurses there absolutely blew me away. They care so much about their patients and they're so kind and empathetic. I couldn't eat for 4 weeks and when I finally could the food was pretty bad. But that is the ONLY bad thing I can say about that hospital.

The triage is fast too. I had the rupture and then had 2 colon blockages after I was discharged. My longest wait in that ER was about 20 min. I've also had a number of MRIs and the longest I've had to wait for an appt for that was 2 weeks.

I've, to date, had 7 surgeries at St Joe's. (life saving colon surgery, surgery to reattach my colon, hernia surgery, a minor op to correct a complication, and 3 foot surgeries) Dr Kliman did my foot surgeries and there was no wait time at all for any of my follow up appt with him.

Who cares if the building is old and a bit dated. The Drs and nurses and therapists at St Joe's are, quite simply, amazing.
Lucile Barker / July 20, 2014 at 02:30 pm
Went into St. Mikes one night, thought I was a little bit wheezy. Looked at the clock and saw they were busy. Next time I looked at the clock was seven minutes later. They had a mask on me, were starting IV and apologizing that they couldn't put the drugs in the mask without an order. I hadn't realized how bad shape I was in, but they sure did!

My ex uses Toronto East and always seems to have emergencies on long weekends. While they are slowish, they do keep track of patients and are great on followups with specialists.

I have been doing work for an American health service in the American south west, and when I hear their stories, I revel in Canadian/Ontario/Toronto health care!
Jayne / August 27, 2014 at 09:50 pm
Really? St. Mikes? I've been blogging about the care my mom gets there for 4 years now. I'm sorry, but I beg to differ.
Danny / September 16, 2014 at 09:26 am
You guys are sooo lucky. I'd take the worst hospital in Canada over any American hospital any time, every time if it meant universal coverage. Freaking 30 grand for an MRI. and upwards of 8 to 30 grand for cancer drugs 30 day supply. NOT an exaggeration. ugh. USA blows. Even with insurance, if you get sick...you're financially ruined. You're screwed. Period. America, home of the free to ripoff a whole country of suckers.