Monday, September 22, 2014Mostly Cloudy 10°C

New in Toronto real estate: YC Condos

Posted by Derek Flack / July 17, 2014

yc condos torontoYC Condos at (surprise, surprise) Yonge and College is a dramatic development that while shorter than nearby Aura to the south, is far nicer looking. The two-toned rectangular sections nicely split up the 66-storey tower and the seven story podium retains a good relationship with the neighbouring Odd Fellows Hall (you know, where the Starbucks is on the northwest corner), which is the same height. Let's be clear, this is not on par with, say, Frank Gehry's designs for the Mirvish project on King West, but it's well above average for Toronto condo developments.

yc condosSPECS

Address: 460 Yonge St.
Storeys: 66
Number of units: 600
Unit types: 1 bedroom through to 3 bedroom PH suites
Unit sizes: TBD
Price: TBD
Architect: Graziani + Corazza Architects
Interior Designer: Burdifilek
Developer: Canderel

yc condosFEATURES

• 24 hour concierge/security
  • Bicycle storage
  • Car sharing services
  • Fitness facility with exercise and aerobics/yoga room
  • Outdoor barbecue stations
  • 64th floor amenities include an infinity pool, bar area, fireplace, billiards table and dining area
  • Miele appliances

yc loungeTHE VERDICT

This is a winner in the aesthetics department. Yonge and College is also a place that can handle this type of density, given the proximity of basically every amenity you could ever hope for and the immediate subway access. There are only 156 parking spots to the 600 units in this condo, so that should give a sense of the degree to which the developer's are banking on the central location as a way to woo non-drivers. For many, I suspect, this will also prove something of a turn off, but it's good enough planning to me.

Amenities-wise, most of the predictable boxes are ticked off, and you can bet that the 66th floor lounge and pool will be a nice place to spend time. Miele appliances is a nice touch, as is the promise of a hefty dose of two bedrooms plus den units (still not sure on the exact number of these, though).

yc condosRead other posts in this series via our Toronto Condos and Lofts Pinterest board.

Josh / July 17, 2014 at 02:13 pm
'Let's be clear, this is not on par with, say, Frank Gehry's designs for the Mirvish project on King West, but it's well above average for Toronto condo developments.' - This condo will no doubt look like garbage in the end, have one look at the architect's website and you'll see why.

These guys are the same idiots that did this monstrosity:

J / July 17, 2014 at 02:45 pm
Another truly horrific piece of shit.
Bob / July 17, 2014 at 02:45 pm
Somebody tell the author that this is being done by the same guys as Aura.
KevinN / July 17, 2014 at 03:06 pm
Black or White balconies actually look alright. There is a condo near Mt. Pleasant/Rogers building that has them and looks fairly modern.

I do agree G+C are horrible. Their designs are uninspiring and dated even before they break ground. I know, I work WITH them and so does my company.

For a condo city, the condos we have are truly garbage. There are more condos on our skyline than buildings for uses other than living. Actually, we will probably be overrun by them by 2025. Imagine, condos taking over a city. Time to move out.
kevinn / July 17, 2014 at 04:05 pm
More 400+ square foot units? Either we have to shrink in size or buy 2 condos and merge them to have a habitable place to live.
KevinN replying to a comment from kevinn / July 17, 2014 at 04:19 pm
4-500 sq ft. is not for everyone. But for international students or someone wanting to live small it's OKAY.. people in NY do it daily. We live in NA, so the bigger is better mentality is always a default scenario.
Dogma / July 17, 2014 at 04:21 pm
Yes. Thanks to that seven storey podium the juxtaposition of this 66 storey building and its three story neighbour is almost seamless.

In an ideal world we'd front our main entertainment and shopping streets with buildings that didn't top out over five stories and then put the towers towards the centre of the block. The upside is we maintain the human scale on the main pedestrian corridors.

But that's a discussion we'll never hear in Toronto.

The checkerboard balconies make this tower look slightly different from the 100 or so others going up. Kudos.
James / July 17, 2014 at 04:38 pm
It seemed okay until I maximized my browser window and realized it's gigantic - I can't even see the whole thing at once!
Joey / July 17, 2014 at 04:49 pm
"Let's be clear, this is not on par with, say, Frank Gehry's designs..."

I really hope you're referring the the original buildings he designed, and not the ugly CityPlace clones that were eventually approved.
Harumph / July 17, 2014 at 04:59 pm
When it comes to development of any kind, it seems you cannot please BlogTo commenters. Everything is ugly, everything is ruining every neighbourhood, architecture isn't of their taste, everything's too big, the writer is dumb, these developers are hellspawn, wahwahwah
Dogma replying to a comment from Harumph / July 17, 2014 at 05:15 pm
I live two blocks north of this site. When I look out my window I can see six cranes going at the moment. It looks like there's a seventh just about to pop above the building in front of it. There 's another handful to the south. At the end of the block there's placarding for a another condo that will probably start in a year or two, and there are three or four more in the works in a three block radius.

I like living in a dynamic city, I like seeing people on the street and I don't mind see the cranes. I actually think Aura is a pretty good looking building.

But there is no planning to any of this, no one is thinking about the streetscape when these condos go up, and often they mow down businesses that won't be replaced in the high rent podiums that come with the condos.

So, when it comes to this latest 66 story addition to the neighbourhood, I can't muster a whole lot of excitement. It's just one more crane.
john replying to a comment from kevinn / July 17, 2014 at 05:20 pm
Where did you read that there were 400 sq ft units? The website only shows Penthouse suites.
steve replying to a comment from KevinN / July 17, 2014 at 05:41 pm
If that is your criteria to moving out of a city you should have never moved here. I can't fathom a city having less homes then businesses and jobs.
Doing a rough calculation, a 25 story residential tower has 550 units, that is 800 people, of which 500 work at a near by office towers, A 25 story offices tower will have 6000 people working there requiring 12 25 residential towers to fill the jobs.
So you better start packing.
kn / July 17, 2014 at 05:49 pm
Oh LOOK, a different facade on a really tall building with little cubicles in it!!! VERY INNOVATIVE!! Yes I can see how this isn't Frank Gehry, but who cares!! Frank Gehry certainly doesn't care about Frank Gehry!! I also have to applaud our completely useless planning dept and councillors!! Maybe I miss read that city plan. It didn't say 7 stories, it said 70!!
kn / July 17, 2014 at 05:51 pm
Oh Sorry VERDICT, THIS IS AWFUL!!!!!
steve replying to a comment from kn / July 17, 2014 at 06:35 pm
Interesting, so what is a building to you then? You described the basis of how every building is built, regardless of height.

So many comments equating height to ugly. Using that analyses NY, Chicago, and any other city with tall towers are ugly cities with piss poor planing.
John Labatt / July 17, 2014 at 07:40 pm
Do people really pay money to live in these things.
nme / July 17, 2014 at 07:40 pm
will never get built
Robert replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 17, 2014 at 08:04 pm
No they don't, all those towers are empty, not even finished. Just facades. Hell no one has every rented an apartment in Toronto, let alone buy one. .
mrm / July 17, 2014 at 08:41 pm
Podium looks like ass so does the interior and exterior, actually the entire thing looks like ass but im sure a whole bunch of white collar yuppies downtown are creaming their pants over this anyway.
BillyO / July 17, 2014 at 09:19 pm
The busking is actually 63 stories, and is well over 80% sold. For those that are actually interested in the process of how these things are proposed, approved, constructed etc, please visit UrbanToronto.ca

BillyO / July 17, 2014 at 09:20 pm
Building, not busking...damn autocorrect
Pat Roberge / July 17, 2014 at 09:56 pm
Living dt not far from there. Are we becoming another Lakeshore?!? It seems every neighborhood in TO are losing their unique aspect. So sad. Condos should be regulated (location, height). What about the businesses asked to move out or close? Can't really move back at much higher rent. One condition to be built would be pay the business for lost income, moving expenses and right to be back at same rent.
Bob / July 17, 2014 at 11:21 pm
Everyone have a different taste for art. You don't like it doesn't mean every hates it. I find the design acceptable.

The condo is obviously designed for students who need some space and not an elite. North America has been too spoiled with large houses, huge SUVs/minivans and big box stores. The 905's density is way lower than downtown and they have traffic jams everywhere. Huge size kills? Yes it does. They can't even have a subway cause density is just too spread out. Building small units isn't a bad thing. We'll eventually run out of space. This is the reason why these 50+ story condos are going up.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is the condos are moving north. College to Bloor remains under develop. Before, it was Dundas. The Aura and Ryerson SLC went up and now this. Eventually teh entire low rises on Yonge will be blocked by these huge towers. Not that I'm against development, just the feeling that the open space will soon be consumed.
Mani / July 17, 2014 at 11:37 pm
Looks like a very influential piece of architecture and lifestyle that hasn't really been established here in Toronto yet BUT is a desired lifestyle in other cities in the world.
John Labatt / July 18, 2014 at 12:20 am
Why does fancy condo building's have smaller units than pubic housing. Did i miss something.
Gairdloch / July 18, 2014 at 05:50 am
383 Sorauren is the place to be. we building a nice bilding with nice balcony nice window. we using them nice arthiatects. nice design. nice everything.

about me i am buikder. my name is bill gairdner. i am rich. i am a trust fund child. i will sell units to my bestest friends cheap. i like to play with dolls.
Iolanda / July 18, 2014 at 08:32 am
Some of the comments here are downright entertaining. I live very close to this development and while I agree with the few comments that addressed the main issues - podium is rather nice, cladding and massing less so as a result of the architect's poor choice of materials and the unit sizes are atrocious - I have to laugh at the overall tone of the comments here. BlogTO users: ~condos are bad~ ~this neighbourhood's losing its identity~ ~condos should be regulated what about the businesses required to move~ ... fact check: condos are our reality in terms of housing (no more room for singles or towns and land values are not conducive for replacement homes in the core), this neighbourood is gaining in identity through redevelopment (since when is a 2 storey 1960's office building with discount clothing and shitty Philly Steak sandwiches on Yonge Street "character"?) and condos are regulated by the Official Plan and zoning. The policy direction is to intensify in transit serviced areas and to redevelop "under utilized" sites. This site is ideal for this form of development. It just could look better and the units could be bigger. But if you're a developer with the bottom line in mind, you want to cash in and squeeze in 3 units where there should be 1.5.... don't blame the city, blame our greedy development industry for (a) the lack of parking, (b) no closet space and (c) an "open concept" bedroom with no window.
kn replying to a comment from steve / July 19, 2014 at 08:13 am
Well Steve, much of Chicago is a disaster. The height of many of the buildings and concentration into one very small area has sucked all of the wealth and traffic into the core of the city. Venture out a dozen streets or so from the main core and you feel like you are in a war zone. Interestingly enough, Frank Gehry is responsible for a gorgeous park still being completed right smack dab in the middle of the city. How about we get him to do something like that in Toronto instead of those idiotic 90 story buildings for Mirvish?

Re: NY city. Have you lived in NY? I mean Manhattan? It's not what I would describe as the "model city" to be living in. Having said this, Manhattan is an island and it's population is more than double Toronto's population, yet somehow Toronto has built more skyscraper condos than NY. Can you say sleazy developers? I can.

Heights of 50-90 stories creates unnecessary density in core of the city. There are no new parks in these areas, no new public squares/places being developed. The developers have reduced unit sizes from 10 yrs ago which ranged from 750-1300 sq/ft to 400-1000sq/ft. This has created a situation where the choice for accommodations in the city are either live in a small box with high maintenance fees or try to make the quantum leap of living in a house. I call this poor city planning.

Beyond the issues of lack of diversity of choice, good architecture responds to the environment in which they are being built. All of these tall condos have create a brutal street environment during the winter.

The city of Toronto needs to examine other more affordable alternatives beyond the easy box in the sky solution. More boutique style 4-5 story stacked town homes, privately owned coop structures, 6-8 stories with larger units and no pool etc to keep maintenance costs low. These developments also need to be built in areas that need redevelopment.

Take a stroll, if you can, into Trinity Bellwoods park any weekend. It's hipsters every 20cms!! It's like a water bomber dropped thousands of them into the park but we know the truth, they all live in 400sq/ft apts nearby. Trinity has become their living room.
JL / July 20, 2014 at 04:34 pm
I'm fine with the size of these small condos. A lot of single adults without kids don't need much space, and someday these units will be the size of the rooms at the old YMCA. My problem is that I need a basic space that I can afford on a blue collar salary - it's just me. I don't have a car. I've downsized as much as I can. I don't need amenities that end up pricing these small units out of most people's range. I have lived downtown since I turned 18 and I have no intentions of giving up and moving away because the new rich want a view of street theatre and the goings-on of downtown. Many of us were here first and there's no respect for that anymore. I don't expect to be accommodated just because I've been here a long time and I know these developers don't make money off of basic units with no quartz countertops or rooftop pools or cork flooring, but where else are we supposed to go? I'm here because I can walk to work, grocers, health care, basics. I can't afford a transit pass that amounts to $135 a month. And more and more of us who've been here for years are starting to say 'ENOUGH'. We will not be pushed out of the homes and neighbourhood we love so some rich 22-year-olds can play big city.
Kn / July 22, 2014 at 09:53 pm
JL. As you have pointed out, it's not just the size of units, it's the fact that everyone of these huge condos are full service buildings. My argument is, to maximize living space and keep costs reasonable you need smaller boutique buildings that can function like private coops. They build a sense of community, etc