Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 5°C

New bike cart dishes out healthy lunches and snacks

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / July 16, 2014

oats and ivyHurting for healthy lunch options near the office? About to fall prey to the siren call of that Manchu Wok in the PATH yet again? Look for this health food company and their brand-new bike cart to ride in and save the day.

Oats & Ivy hit the road last month, popping up in the Financial District to dole out nutritionist-approved, sustainably-sourced lunches. So far, their menu of from-scratch dishes include nutritious salads (like Mexican bean or beet/arugula) and sweet treats (which are often raw, vegan or paleo). Next week, they'll roll out cold-pressed juices, smoothies and nut milks.

The company has big plans past the humble bike cart: August will see the launch of an e-store, where they'll sell their desserts and drinks to a wide audience, and a storefront in the downtown is planned for spring. In the meantime, check out the Oats & Ivy website to find out where they're headed next.

Photo via Oats & Ivy

Portlandia / July 16, 2014 at 02:01 pm
Oh give it a rest.
MAC / July 16, 2014 at 04:29 pm
GIVE IT NO RESTS. KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
John Labatt / July 16, 2014 at 07:31 pm
Epic Fail, lets put some real food in our tummy.
steph / July 16, 2014 at 08:52 pm
i'm curious about their juice/milk prices! the almond chai one sounds lovely!
Gail / July 16, 2014 at 09:06 pm
Wondering if this is licensed as in like a food truck or is this a totally rogue operation?
Gail / July 16, 2014 at 09:07 pm
Do this cart need to stay 50 meters away from restaurants as well?
Marina replying to a comment from steph / July 16, 2014 at 09:35 pm
Hi Steph...we haven't started serving our juices/nut milks yet…prices are $7.50 for juices, nut milks slightly less…they come in glass bottles and you get $0.25 bottle return if you bring it back
Marina replying to a comment from Gail / July 16, 2014 at 09:35 pm
Hi Gail...the bike cart is licensed as a non-motorized refreshment vehicle…we play by the rules :)
Marina replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 16, 2014 at 09:37 pm
John, it IS real food :)
John Labatt replying to a comment from Marina / July 16, 2014 at 09:45 pm
$.7.75 for a bottle of orange juice. That's crazy shame on you.
Marina replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 16, 2014 at 09:59 pm
There's a big difference in nutritional value between pasteurized commercial juices and organic cold-pressed juices. It goes beyond the dollar value when you consider the impact on your health and nutrient profile of the foods you eat.
Marina replying to a comment from MAC / July 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm
Thanks Mac! Appreciate the support!
Lincoln / July 16, 2014 at 11:20 pm
I work at Queen and John and can't really leave my work place. Please bring me lunch, daily. :)
John Labatt replying to a comment from Marina / July 17, 2014 at 01:37 am
There is no difference or very little in nutritional value between pasteurized commercial juices and organic cold pressed. Get your facts strait Marina. As far as impact on you health there is no difference. Its more of an impact on the wallet. Your paying for cool little bottle of juice and a nice girl selling it.
Greg replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 17, 2014 at 07:48 am
Yes. Agreed. You are paying for a hand crafted product just like freshly squeezed orange juice or freshly baked bread BUT the nutritional value is the same. Just like an organic tomato vs non-organic tomato nutritionally vitamin wise the value is the same.
Lyn / July 17, 2014 at 09:44 am
This looks super fun! I usually get my fresh juices from Live so I'm actually all over the price drop. Hope you'll be out at some festivals!
Livia replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm
If you don't like it, then go to McDonald's or someplace else with cheap food, or bag your own lunch. No one is forcing you to buy anything if you don't like the price.
John Labatt replying to a comment from Livia / July 17, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Ok we will make it a date. 2 happy meals for me and my friend Livia. I will pay cause Livia is flat broke.
Sully replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 20, 2014 at 11:34 am
John, stop being a duche ... it's refreshing (ha !) to see someone trying a new business plan, and offering something different in the downtown core.
Christine / July 21, 2014 at 05:17 pm
More produce is used in cold-pressed juices than commercial, pasteurized juice. You need A LOT of fruit/veggies for a sizeable serving so $7.50 is a fair price if you consider how much it costs to make it.
Marina replying to a comment from Lincoln / July 22, 2014 at 03:37 pm
We're at Queen & Spadina tomorrow if you're able to escape :)
Niki replying to a comment from John Labatt / July 23, 2014 at 05:37 pm
Ya marina get your facts strait......... ;) ***STRAIGHT****
David G / July 25, 2014 at 04:56 pm

In my opinion the value of food is derived from 3 elements: culture, art, and nutrition. The price for any food item can vary considerably based on how we value those elements. I doubt there is very little difference in nutritional value between organic pasture-raised beef and standard beef. However, I (and my family) value humane husbandry practices. So I choose to pay more for my organic beef, organic eggs, etc.

I also value buying my food from passionate people like Marina who take pride in its preparation, presentation, and nutritional make up.

And, I will admit that I also value McDonald's and the like on insanely hectic days when I have 3 "hangry" kids in the back seat of our SUV.