Thursday, October 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C

Rob Ford plans to return late for work on June 30th

Posted by Derek Flack / June 17, 2014

Rob Ford return rehabRob Ford is set to return from rehab to City Hall. The Mayor of Toronto filed a document with the city clerk earlier today indicating that he would be back at work on June 30th. Well, to be more specific, he plans to return to his (limited) mayoral responsibilities some time "in the later portion of the afternoon" on the 30th. Way to come back sharp, Rob. I'm not exactly sure why I find this so funny, but it strikes me as priceless. Ford can't even commit to a time that he'll be in after 1pm.

More seriously, this news is bound to light up the mayoral race, which has actually been rather boring so far. Ford left for rehab in early may, making his stint roughly two months long. There will be many questions that accompany Ford's return, the most obvious of which being can he get himself back into the race? One suspects that if he stays clean and if there aren't more bombshell allegations waiting to be revealed, he has a very good chance of doing just that.

Also of note from Ford's return letter, he signs his name twice. You know, just to make sure that the recipient knows who the author is.

Rob Ford Return

Ian / June 17, 2014 at 10:05 am
"Later portion of the afternoon" is amusing, although to be fair if he announces he plans to walk through the front door of City Hall at 3PM sharp on the 30th the media and civilian scrum waiting for him would be massive.
not a terrible idea / June 17, 2014 at 10:07 am
Really though, who wants to work a full day before a holiday...
Chester / June 17, 2014 at 10:07 am
Really his is what blogto has resorted to as news. They should call you guys TMZ.
Todd Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 10:10 am
It's so very Toronto that a lot of members of #FordNation probably also voted for Kathleen Wynne.

just curious / June 17, 2014 at 10:11 am
is there any reason blogto decided to not write about mammoliti calling parkdale the pedophile district? or any of the provincial election stuff? Schein, Marchese, Prue? I say this because I like the political discussions that happen on here but it really does seem that the only politician in blogto's mind is rob ford.
W. K. Lis / June 17, 2014 at 10:17 am
The apprentice, Giorgio Mammoliti, will then hand over to the master, Rob Ford.
Vinnie replying to a comment from Chester / June 17, 2014 at 10:21 am
Chester, the mayor of one of the largest cities in N. America is returning to work after a stint in rehab for two months. How is this NOT news? Maybe you don't care, but others do.
danR replying to a comment from Ian / June 17, 2014 at 10:22 am
Yes, Rob still doesn't want to waste his mornings at work. Still wandering in at bumaclock in the afternoon.
local / June 17, 2014 at 10:22 am
Shudder. It's been so delightfully peaceful while he's been gone. Hopefully his return visit is short.
sw replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 10:24 am
But Kathleen Wynne's platform for Toronto's infrastructure actually bodes well for Tory's campaign, not Ford's.
James Eberhardt / June 17, 2014 at 10:28 am
So why were the locks on his office changed when he went off to rehab?
RS / June 17, 2014 at 10:29 am
This clown can't even show up for his FIRST DAY BACK IN THE OFFICE after humiliating this city globally on time.

Is it October yet???
mike in parkdale replying to a comment from just curious / June 17, 2014 at 10:29 am
they already wrote about it
#FordMoreYears replying to a comment from Ian / June 17, 2014 at 10:30 am
This is great news! Robbie’s still has his winning spirit and determination. He originally announced July 1st, but if we can get a couple of hours of him back in office earlier on the 30th to debrief that’s great prep time to hit the ground running on July 1st, it’s much appreciated!

See you all October 27th!
Jess replying to a comment from local / June 17, 2014 at 10:32 am
That's a problem actually. I was expecting the other candidates to take their platforms and sail with them in his absence BUT the other candidates missed the opportunity and have been pretty much silent for his entire rehab stay.
desi / June 17, 2014 at 10:38 am
Giorgio Mammoliti and Rob Ford ahhh run tings!
hellebelle / June 17, 2014 at 10:42 am
it's so convenient that he missed the whole of world pride month.
Ray / June 17, 2014 at 10:50 am
it's so convenient that he missed the whole of Taste of Little Italy.
Cycle / June 17, 2014 at 10:51 am
it's so convenient that he missed the whole of Toronto Bike Month.
Gord / June 17, 2014 at 10:56 am
It's been a very nice break. Sorry to see it end.
Davy Gravy replying to a comment from #FordMoreYears / June 17, 2014 at 11:04 am
Hit the ground running?! He's been relieved of most of his duties. Essentially he's just a giant paperweight until this fall, when he'll be relieved of that duty as well.

What on earth are you smoking?
elizabeth replying to a comment from DEREK THE DORK / June 17, 2014 at 11:14 am
You're a loser. Way to criticize someone as an ANONYMOUS COMMENTER. Can't wait till BlogTO decides to make it so that you have to login with an actual account and idiots like this won't make stupid comments.

In my opinion, it IS news that he's released when he's coming back. To do it sometime in the afternoon on a Friday before a long weekend is RIDICULOUS. Although does this mean he will attend Pride that weekend??? Or is he heading right back up the 400 to his family cottage?

I can't wait until OCtober so we can get this idiot out of office.
iSkyscraper / June 17, 2014 at 11:39 am
I'm sure he wanted to be in at 9 am, but you know, traffic on the 400 is pretty bad in the morning (Rob's not exactly keen on taking the Barrie GO train), plus he has to hit up the LCBO in Bala on the way in, then maybe stop at Webers for an early lunch. Might was well check in with his many 905 constituents at Bass Pro Shops in Vaughan, then ride the roller coaster at Wonderland, etc. Just another busy day for the mayor of Canada's biggest city.

Include me in those who are disappointed at how badly the real candidates for mayor failed to capitalize on Rob's absence. Now it will be back to the circus, with no chance for reason or logic to break through the shouting.

Miranda replying to a comment from Davy Gravy / June 17, 2014 at 11:42 am
Ford's a "giant paperweight" ... I love it!
Todd Toronto replying to a comment from Jess / June 17, 2014 at 11:46 am
Because nobody cares right now.

Toronto's not going to start paying attention to the campaign until after Labour Day.
jay / June 17, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Too many, the city seems so much nicer when the clown prince is absent.
Andrew replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 01:23 pm
That's because they have nothing to say without Ford around. If you build you entire platform around Anyone But Ford, its hard to stick to your strategy when Fords not around.
Trudy replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 01:25 pm
I don't believe that's true, many of us sure cared about about the televised debate that happened months ago. I care and see no need to wait until Labour day.
Michael / June 17, 2014 at 01:44 pm
Hmmm, returning to work in the afternoon right before a stat. Holiday. Take out the trash anyone?
Todd Toronto replying to a comment from Trudy / June 17, 2014 at 02:03 pm
I care too, but most people probably aren't paying close attention yet.
Randy Phord replying to a comment from Michael / June 17, 2014 at 02:44 pm
Council meetings are regularly scheduled "meetings" and in order to receive the statutory holiday pay for July 1st, Rob has to go to work on that day.
That and I hear they are having a BBQ at 3:30pm.
DL / June 17, 2014 at 03:06 pm
Here's hoping my bar is the place Ford comes to have his first post-rehab beer.
Lynn / June 17, 2014 at 03:36 pm
Well realistically it is customary that anyone taking leave in any job for medical reasons would not start their job on a full day back to work. HR and the STD or LTD insurances that cover the leave would not want a person to come back and be overwhelmed forcing them to have to take more time off. Usually a person is started back to work part days for a few days a week, then adding more part days, then some full days until the full week cycle is fulfilled, which can take several weeks after the initial return to work happens. So I don't see anything unusual or negative about this planned return. Sounds pretty average to me.
Tammy terrific / June 17, 2014 at 04:03 pm
Please stay away. The city runs so much better with Rob Ford on holiday in Bala.
Is there a way to prevent him from returning?
Tim Hudak / June 17, 2014 at 05:19 pm
I'm glad Rob is back. People hate him more than they hate me.
Drug Dealers of Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 05:22 pm
We're glad he's back...sending SpongeRobFatPants a sample pack.
Prostitutes of Toronto / June 17, 2014 at 05:23 pm
We're very glad he'$ back. $$$$
Renata Ford / June 17, 2014 at 05:24 pm
Locks are changed.
Rob Ford / June 17, 2014 at 05:41 pm
Georgie Mammary-Lite-o is my lover.
Mar / June 17, 2014 at 05:50 pm
all this 'why didn't the candidates capitalize while he was gone' talk is beyond ridiculous. What exactly were they supposed to do? There was a provincial election. How many announcements are they supposed to make? The election is in the end of October. No one even cares until after labour day as a previous poster stated. They are out there, shaking hands making friends, attending debates and public events. I'd love to know what the 'they failed to capitalize' crowd thinks they were supposed to be doing with that time.
Sarah Thompson / June 17, 2014 at 05:58 pm
If this buffoon had half a brain, he'd have quit while in rehab or at least step aside. People forget city-councip stripped rofo to the bones of all his mayoral duties. Bet dofo and rofo are planning a taliban-esque attack on all who oppose them. Tweedle-dee +tweedledum are back people. Let the effin ford circus continue...LOL
welcome back mr. kotter / June 17, 2014 at 06:12 pm
You just watch the moment Ford is back on the job all the other candidates will have plenty to say and theyll be putting themselves infront of the media as much as possible...
Simon / June 17, 2014 at 07:18 pm
Maybe now BlogTO will get back to reporting on Toronto news and current events instead of reviewing flavour-of-the-month restaurants.
Gabe / June 17, 2014 at 07:32 pm
Check the title, nice spin on the story trying to stir controversy out of nothing - NON NEWS!

He's actually showing up for work half a day earlier then the planned date of return of July 1st not late. Title should be - Rob Ford to return to work earlier then originally planned.

p / June 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm
His Worship, the right honorable Mayor of Toronto Robert Ford will return to office after seeking minor medical attention. His leave will have brought him wisdom and rejuvenation. Our Leader returns to his rightful throne as Lord of the 4th largest city on the Continent of North America, and we will pay him the respect he deserves.
joeythespoon / June 17, 2014 at 11:38 pm
Rob Ford Condition Upgraded To Liar
Irwhiner Mimico / June 18, 2014 at 08:42 am
I like corruption! I like Apollo Health! I like Donnelly! I like the FordGravyTrain! I like drugs just as much as Rob! I like prostitutes at City Hall! How about free drugs and a brothel at City Hall! Deco is now a Department of city government! Glory to the FordGravyTrain! Not Subways!Subways Subways! Just Fordgravy!Fordgravy!Fordgravy!TRAIN!!!
Gabe-p / June 18, 2014 at 08:48 am
No difference when Rob is at work or at rehab-he doesn't work! He's a do-nothing, know-nothing. Doesn't matter when he "starts" his "day". His Corruptship, "Mayor" Ford returns to his rightful throne, the one that flushes.
Urwin Dumbico / June 18, 2014 at 08:53 am
I like racist bigots as Mayor. I, the Mimico Avatar, like the worst of us to be on public display! I am a little stupid to support a buffoon bigot...but Rob called me about my CEMENT PLANT! I am a vegetable myself, so I appreciate it. I also collect dried fruit.
Irwin Mimico / June 18, 2014 at 01:14 pm
Shut your hole about the plant! This is no laughing matter. Mr. Ford made this possible. He also got us a spot on the news. Watch!
Urwin Dumbico / June 18, 2014 at 02:00 pm
Youbetcha! And fuckford got you a part in the next Scooby Doo movie...which hole you talkinf about, Irwinnie?
Shut your hole... / June 23, 2014 at 07:05 pm
...okay, but which hole? I have 3, but if you don't tell me which one, it's going to be...IRWIN MIMICO'S CEMENT IS A GORGEOUS PLAYGROUND!!! or WE LOVE MIMICO CEMENT PLANTS! or MORE CEMENT PLANTS FOR MIMICO!!
Mimico Cement Plant / June 24, 2014 at 09:19 am
I am good for Mimico. I am good for Irwhiner mimico-cement is his backbone.
Mimico Cement Plant / June 24, 2014 at 05:33 pm
Mimico has been rezoned and walled off and roofed over....into ONE GINORMOUS CEMENT PLANT¡¦¿¿!!¬