Tuesday, July 22, 2014Sunny 24°C

House of the week: 5 Wellesley Cottages

Posted by Staff / June 17, 2014

5 Wellesley CottagesFive Wellesley Cottages is a dream, a cottage dream. Ever wanted to live on one of Toronto's "Hidden Streets?" This is it. Built as worker's cottages in the 1880s, this secluded street feels like a step into the past. But don't be fooled - once you step through the front door of the home, you're transported right back to the present. Bamboo flooring, open concept kitchen, modern appliances, remote skylight shades - the interior is all modern living. An addition to the rear of the home accommodates two bedrooms and two and half bathrooms, leaving much more room for you to stretch out than there was for the original owners.

Large doors open off of the living room into a tastefully landscaped back yard, making the small space seem, um, somehow more. OK, so maybe this is only relevant in Toronto for four months of the year, but a glorious four months they could be! Even in inclement weather, the large windows bring in lots of light. And anyway, I prefer to pretend those chillier months don't exist.

5 Wellesley CottagesSPECS

• Address: 5 Wellesley Cottages
  • Price: $1,299,000
  • Lot Size: 20 x 136.75
  • Bedrooms: 2
  • Bathrooms: 2.5
  • Parking: 1
  • Taxes: $4,407
  • Walk Score: 90

5 Wellesley CottagesNOTABLE FEATURES

• Historic home located on secluded street in Cabbagetown
  • Preserved facade with modern interior
  • Large windows opening on landscaped back yard

5 Wellesley CottagesGOOD FOR
Cabbagetown enthusiasts with a modern bent. As far as Cabbagetown locations go, this one is about as iconic as they get. And if your ideal home is more 21st century than Victorian, this could be the perfect combo of old and new. Living in modern comfort in a historic neighbourhood - what could be better?

5 Wellesley CottagesMOVE ON IF

You think this type of renovation removes the original character from the home. Or maybe you had another sort of renovation in mind. The renovation and addition don't leave too much room for your imagination. And at $1.3 Million, maybe not much cash left for changes either!

MORE PHOTOS

5 Wellesley Cottages5 Wellesley Cottages5 Wellesley Cottages5 Wellesley CottagesWriting by Isabel Ritchie

Read other posts in this series via our House of the Week Pinterest board.

be nice / June 17, 2014 at 03:00 am
Ok if someone gave you that house for free then would you move in? Yeah, I thought so....you don't hate it that much! Say something nice, people. I think the place looks lovely! :)

Smiles all around!
TJ / June 17, 2014 at 08:16 am
Doesn't look like much form the outside but certainly looks very nice inside.
kioch / June 17, 2014 at 09:00 am
This is the loveliest house review I've seen on blogto!
beds / June 17, 2014 at 09:21 am
where are the bedrooms?
nice/too much / June 17, 2014 at 10:18 am
Very cute. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too expensive. You can buy 4-5 cottages in "cottage country" for that amount. If you want to live in a cottage in the city, well you better be a multi-millionaire (i.e. Chinese FOB).
nice/too much / June 17, 2014 at 10:19 am
Just to reiterate....it's a friggin 1.3 million dollar **2 bedroom** house!
Andrea / June 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm
I'm so getting this! When is the offer night?
jen / June 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Wow, they moderned all the charm right out of that cottage. Too bad.
Lola / June 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Tiny for 1.3 million. No eat in kitchen or dining room?! Also the 'second bedroom' of this place if you search for it is more like a den.
Kelly / June 17, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Wow, they modernized the mold and dust right out of that cottage. I'll take it.
Suri replying to a comment from jen / June 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm
You are soooo right! Why bother having a 'cottage' style if all you are going to do is rip its guts out? Make it modern but keep some of the internal esthetic at least.
Moe / June 17, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Man that is Beautiful
Bobo / June 17, 2014 at 01:18 pm
I'm sold!
me / June 17, 2014 at 01:26 pm
While I don't know the place's history and past condition, perhaps the interior was decrepit and not worth restoring, such that it was cheaper and easier to gut it for a blank slate renovation?
Sandman replying to a comment from nice/too much / June 17, 2014 at 02:03 pm
@nice/too much, just stay in crinme-infested Mississauga and stop bitchin'
Vincent replying to a comment from nice/too much / June 17, 2014 at 02:07 pm
Ummmm. Was the last part of your comment really necessary? "Chinese FOB"? Seriously, if you do not see that as racist or offensive, you need to take a sensitivity course.
Greg Hannah / June 17, 2014 at 02:11 pm
Cottages from this era were generally very small and cramped for a family. Extending the home into the back yard and adding the bedrooms above is very smart, and it retains the charm of the front exterior. Cabbagetown is very desirable being right downtown yet quiet and next to a large park, hence the price for a smaller home - plus it's detached (or appears to be). I love this place!
Captain Awesome replying to a comment from me / June 17, 2014 at 02:15 pm
Yes,one has to wonder just how much "character" the original interior had. Remember that when these little cottages were built they were NOT top end accommodations like the contemporary red brick Bay-and-Gables, but rather the 19th century equivalent of the prefab trailer.
Potrzebie replying to a comment from Suri / June 17, 2014 at 03:36 pm
"Why bother having a 'cottage' style if all you are going to do is rip its guts out?"

Because the orginal guts behind that charming cottage facade is a Dickensian hovel with miniscule rooms?

Sakura / June 17, 2014 at 03:50 pm
How can people criticize? Everything about it looks lovely to me. I'd be thrilled to live there, if I could afford it. (All it needs is a nice, little upright piano tucked into a corner.) :)

pearlD. / June 17, 2014 at 04:38 pm
I love it, love it, LOVE IT!!! I have a Victorian, quaint staircases and all...trade it in a heartbeat!!!!
nice / too much replying to a comment from Vincent / June 17, 2014 at 05:07 pm
Yeah sure, I'm a member of the KKK (?)

I guess youre the one person in Toronto who doesn't know how the real estate market has been working for the last several years....

OK for you we'll all just pretend that the GTA markets aren't being flooded by foreign money, making things like tiny 2 bedroom homes "worth" 1+ million dollars.
Snow White / June 17, 2014 at 05:47 pm
Do Doc, Sleepy, Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Kathy Ford, Dopey, Sneezy & Sleazymamolitti live in the cottage? Why are they selling?
Parliament / June 17, 2014 at 07:03 pm
What a beautiful home. The only thing that turns me off, is all the bitchy cakers in that neighbourhood who like to complain about everything.
Michele replying to a comment from Vincent / June 17, 2014 at 07:37 pm
Agreed!...not cool man...
susan mozes / June 17, 2014 at 08:30 pm
where are the bedrooms? why did not show them? very important rooms too! but the place is lovely...
JL / June 17, 2014 at 08:50 pm
Nice / too much knows the score. Them foreigners been driven' up property prices, takin' our jobs, tryin' ta foist that "Sharia" Law on us. Don't let them scarf-wearin', bike-ridin', downtown elites tell ya different.
Monique / June 17, 2014 at 10:05 pm
If you can believe it this place sold today for $1,545,000!

That seems a lot for a 2 bedroom where one of the bedrooms is in the basement. The backyard looks gorgeous though...hope they enjoy it.

Frances / June 18, 2014 at 08:10 am
This home on the outside is lovely. This home on the inside is divine. I hope the new owners enjoy it; nothing else to do to it.
Dizzy / June 18, 2014 at 08:55 am
I live in the 'hood and walked by this house on the weekend. The house is fully attached to other houses on either side. It's a lovely house but $1.3m is a lot of money for a house of this size. You can get something for the same price in the same hood that is a lot larger and move in ready.
Marianne / June 18, 2014 at 12:28 pm
This house is 2700 sq, feet & is move in ready. You can access the video of this place on youtube. The style may not suit everyone but I think it's gorgeous.
Nice / too much replying to a comment from JL / June 18, 2014 at 02:25 pm
Give me a break.

Facts > political correctness
William / June 19, 2014 at 11:44 am
Very nice house. I live on the neighbourhood. My house and lot are bigger and probably worth the same.
To Jl, what kind of name is that? That of a coward. Thank God u can't afford to live here. We don't need more trashy people of any kind.
midget whorehouse / June 19, 2014 at 02:45 pm
Munchkins, yah?
JL replying to a comment from Nice / too much / June 19, 2014 at 04:35 pm
Facts are indeed > political correctness

To cite your own reference:

"This idea that we have this rampant foreign ownership going on and this horde of Chinese investors coming over is a little bit of an urban myth."

Many factors contribute to the increase in demand relative to supply of downtown homes, including the fact that inventory is essentially static, while demand increases as the population of the city as a whole grows, interest rates remain at record lows for almost 6 years, buyers become more comfortable carrying greater debt, etc.

To cherry-pick facts to support your false argument is not > political correctness (as if referring to a group as "FOB" is not disrespectful).
JL replying to a comment from William / June 19, 2014 at 04:42 pm
William, I suspect you responded to my "red-neck" post after my second response to Nice / too much was deleted (I'm not sure why, but I have reposted it in a similar form above), and are unfamiliar with sarcasm.

I am glad to hear of your good fortune in living in an expensive home.

As it happens, I also live in the neighbourhood. Cowardly though it may be, JL is my initials. Perhaps we'll see each other around.

SpongeRobFatPants / June 21, 2014 at 04:21 pm
I need a place to live! Renata changed the locks! The city changed the locks! If I buy this house, are the locks gonna be changed there too?
SpongeRobFatPants / June 23, 2014 at 07:13 pm
If I'm not re-elected, I'm opening a hooor-house right in this dwarf cottage!