Wednesday, November 26, 2014Cloudy 1°C

25 loud and proud photos of the 2014 Dyke March

Posted by Derek Flack / June 29, 2014

Dyke march 2014Thousands took to the streets yesterday afternoon for annual Dyke March, one of World Pride's key events on its last busy weekend in Toronto. The ceremonies got underway shortly after noon in Allan Gardens before the march commenced at 2:00pm. Among the high profile attendees, both Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam and mayoral candidate Olivia Chow were spotted among the participants. There were roaring motor bikes, hundreds of rainbow flags, some wickedly pointed signs, and an atmosphere that combined protest and celebration. In other words, it was an ideal day for Toronto's dyke community.

Check out all the action from the 2014 Dyke March in our photo gallery.

Hal / June 29, 2014 at 09:30 am
Why is Mayor Norm Kelly never at these events?
Steve / June 29, 2014 at 10:53 am
Norm Kelly was at the Grand Pride wedding. What are you inferring?
Aaron / June 29, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Looks like there are lots of guys in drag.
Hal replying to a comment from Steve / June 29, 2014 at 02:11 pm
Not inferring anything. Just think the acting mayor should be at as many of these events as possible.
McRib replying to a comment from Hal / June 29, 2014 at 03:12 pm
you are inferring that the deputy mayor is shirking his duties, or doesn't like gay people. That's exactly what you are doing.

Neither of these things are true of course, had you been paying attention at all in the previous few weeks you would know this. He and Wong-Tam have been basically joined at the hip welcoming people to Pride and organizing the mass wedding.

McRib replying to a comment from Hal / June 29, 2014 at 03:14 pm
or suggesting, rather than inferring. I'm not sure which.
Hal / June 29, 2014 at 04:39 pm
OK you win. We don't need to know why Norm Kelly wasn't at the Dyke March.
Oh well / June 30, 2014 at 10:56 am
I can never quite figure out the purpose of the Dyke March. First they have their own parade, and then they participate in the Pride March the next day. There was even a Dyke March group
in the Pride Parade. It seems exclusionary and attention-seeking. I could see it if the first one replaced the second, but it just seems a bit overkill to have two parades.
Lana P. / July 1, 2014 at 04:48 am
I think we should value our hometown more. I really love Toronto and I love attending events like these. My favourite part of Toronto is definitely the Distillery District, where I hang out all the time and everytime, some of my family members arrive, I take them for a coffee or just a walk, so they can see the beauty of the DD.
These pictures are catching the right atmosphere of Torontonians and I really love the number 13. I just love the view on the houses :) People should enjoy walking through Toronto more and look around to see the beauty of our city!:)