Saturday, November 22, 2014Cloudy -5°C

A transcript of the Rob Ford audio tape

Posted by Chris Bateman / May 1, 2014

toronto rob fordRob Ford spent part of last weekend "ranting and swearing" in an Etobicoke bar, according to the Toronto Sun, which obtained a choppy and at times difficult to decipher audio recording of parts of the evening. According to the paper, Ford was taped at Sullie Gorman's, a grimy bar in a strip plaza on Royal York Rd. almost directly across the street from a park that bears the name of Ford's father, Doug Sr.

It's worth nothing that it's also the same shopping centre where the Globe and Mail alleged Doug Ford ran his hash empire in the 1980s.

Ford appears to be (relatively) coherent in parts of the tape and almost nonsensical in others. At first, he discusses the Pride flag controversy at City Hall, saying Tim Hudak disagreed with his call for it to be removed. Later, Ford says he's conflicted about how he will vote in a provincial election, brags he would like to "fucking jam" Karen Stintz, then appears to force people to take shots of liquor with him. At one point he appears to call someone a "wop."

What follows is a rough (and likely imperfect) transcription of the Toronto Sun tape:

RECORDING BEGINS MID-SENTENCE

FORD: "...this fucking flag up ahead of our Canadian flag. I said no ... bullshit. They said they went to Queen's Park, they said 'no way.' Tim Hudak comes out and says 'yeah, I agree with all the gays should have the ...' That's it. I lost my conservative value."

MALE VOICE: "...You actually went to Queen's Park with it?"

FORD: "No they went, the gay organization went to Queen's Park and they're on a standstill. So at Queen's Park, you have to have every member to vote for it."

MALE VOICE: "Of course, of course ... I thought you were the one who ..."

FORD: "No, no, no. And Tim says: 'you know what, yeah that's right, I think it's right there.' He lost my vote. I don't know what the f-.... I can't vote Liberal, because I don't like what Wynne's doing. Not because she's gay, I just don't like the corruption. NDP, I'm just not left wing. I just can't... I mean, I like Tim Hudak, but I can't... I won't put his sign up on my lawn, I won't put any money. I might have to vote Green. I don't know what the fuck I'm going to vote right now. I'm going to vote something."

MALE VOICE: "See, that's incredible."

FORD: "I'm absolutely going to vote. I'll probably going to vote Green because the Green guy didn't say a fucking word... [inaudible.]"

MALE VOICE: "But you're a business guy ... you have a business, a successful business ... how could you vote anything else but P.C.?"

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: "No ... I don't mind ... As long as they vote, I'd rather have them vote against me than not vote at all. I'd rather lose to Olivia Chow than lose to anyone, man, because, you know what... [INAUDIBLE] get fucked so bad. No, I'm not coming back, once I'm done, I'm done. I'm going to California."

THE RECORDING SEEMS TO PAUSE AND PICK UP WITH A NEW MALE VOICE LEADING THE CONVERSATION

MALE VOICE: "How about Karen Stintz?"

FORD: "I'd like to fucking jam her but she don't want..."

MALE VOICE: [LAUGHING] "'Jam her.'"

FORD: [TO SOMEONE OFF MIKE] "I'm so sorry - I forgot there was a woman in the house."

RECORDING APPEARS TO BE SKIP AHEAD AGAIN

FORD: "CSIS [INAUDIBLE] if you're carrying a piece or you use your envelope. There's no envelope, there's no secret service. I am who I am. There's no secret se- ... I am ...

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: I'm not like this ... I admit, I'm not the normal mayor. I'm not the normal mayor."

MALE VOICE: "How do you fuck your wife?"

FORD: "I'd fuck your wife [INAUDIBLE] we won't go that far.

FEMALE VOICE: Oh, Nick, stop. That's not nice.

FORD: "That's when we start talking my language!"

[INAUDIBLE]

MALE VOICE: "When was the last time you smoked a joint?"

FORD: "It doesn't matter!"

RECORDING SKIPS AHEAD

FORD: "These guys want me fucking covered. I said, 'nobody's going to cover me, I've got everything under control.'"

FEMALE VOICE: Rob? [SILENCE LIKE FORD IS CONSIDERING AN OFFER]

FORD: "I'm good ... is that your wife?"

FEMALE VOICE: "Yeah!"

RECORDING MAY SKIP AHEAD HERE

FEMALE VOICE: "Rob?"

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: "Berto,[?] get a shot right now or I'll fucking break a..."

MALE VOICE: "The waiter's not here! Reagan [?], do me a favour..."

[INAUDIBLE]

FEMALE VOICE: "Rob? Stop."

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: "I don't mind talking politics, but I don't want you guys ...

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: "Shit, fuck, bro. I pound this every day."

MALE VOICE: "It's 9:00 at night. It's 9:00 at night."

[INAUDIBLE]

MALE VOICE: I'll tell you about my job, it'll last for two fucking hours."

RECORDING SEEMS TO SKIP AHEAD

FORD: "Oh, good. If that fucking wop over there... Sorry, I'm not saying I'm a racist, sorry ... If you don't get a shot in two seconds I'll knock your fucking teeth out.

MALE VOICE: "You know what, Robbie?"

FORD: No, no, no, no, no ... I wan't that fucking dago back there, sorry ... no, he hasn't - he drank it."

FEMALE VOICE: "Everyone is allowed their down time."

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: "That's what I'm saying, it's after 9:00..."

[INAUDIBLE]

MALE VOICE: "What do you want?"

FORD: "I want to give him two shots ... cause those two dagos are drinking together."

MALE VOICE: Did you just call me a 'dago,' really?

RECORDING SKIPS AHEAD

[INAUDIBLE]

FORD: I'm fucking sick of politics, dude. Look at my record I'm going to win, we're going to win ... You've got two choices, you've got Olivia Chow ... it's the same vote! it's the same vote! If you vote for Tory, you're voting for Chow, because you're splitting the vote."

MALE VOICE: "You're splitting the vote!"

RECORDING ENDS

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: Chris Bateman/blogTO

Rob Ford / May 1, 2014 at 06:10 am
Tee hee! I gonna jam Stintz DEEP! I'm gonna lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie...then lie some MORE!
SumDumLoser / May 1, 2014 at 06:40 am
Let's JAM Rob Ford in a manhole in Etobicoke - head first!
SumDumLoser / May 1, 2014 at 06:42 am
Or ride him on a rail out of town...tar and feather the bastard...so to speak.
Mayor McCokehoover replying to a comment from John Labatt / May 1, 2014 at 07:45 am
Hey. All those guys on here that I said one day I'd say "I told you so..."

The Daves...the Shirleys...the Mimicos...the Steves...

Well, we told you so.

You backed probably the world's biggest loser, and then defended him tooth-and-nail through some of the most vile antics anyone could involve themselves with.

Maybe now while he's away from all his enablers and Ford Nation (one and the same, really) getting the proper treatment he needs to get healthy, the man will take a long look at life and decide to embrace a smarter path. I hope so, no wants to see this man harm himself any further.
sarah / May 1, 2014 at 08:15 am
This is incredibly offensive to women, gays, his family and the people of Toronto. If he did this in the private sector, he would have been fired. Municipal Law needs some major adjustments.
Myothercarisyourmum / May 1, 2014 at 08:20 am
These silly antics are perhaps the most interesting events that have stemmed from your otherwise tedious and unimaginative town.Rob had you in his pocket the whole time and toyed with you to elevate himself to a much more lucrative payday. Nobody really gives a tug job about Toronto outside of Toronto
Rafa replying to a comment from sarah / May 1, 2014 at 08:41 am
Explain how what he said is INCREDIBLY offensive to women and gays. Seriously, I want to know.

1) He talked about flags flying above or below the Canadian flag on a flagpole. Fair point.

2) He talked about fucking a woman. It may be news to you, but all men do this.
Orson / May 1, 2014 at 08:41 am
Pucker up Racoon Nation; my rump is ready and waiting.
Rafa is Daffa replying to a comment from Rafa / May 1, 2014 at 08:50 am
"2) He talked about fucking a woman. It may be news to you, but all men do this."

Nope, not me, Rafa...I'm queer. (call me, sweetie!)
Ryan / May 1, 2014 at 09:03 am
Stintz could catch the D.
Rob and I are in agreement here.
Peter replying to a comment from Mayor McCokehoover / May 1, 2014 at 09:03 am
To all the guys in the burbs that voted for this doofus. I know we're supposed to say it 'TOE-bi-co' but I'm calling my counciller and having the pronounciation officially changed to Etobi-COKE so they can wear their shame.

Seriously man needs to get out the spotlight, away from these 'friends' of his and get help. He's got kids, the man's gonna be dead in 5 years if he doesn't take care of things.
iSkyscraper / May 1, 2014 at 09:04 am
Finally.

Rot in hell, Ford.
Frog replying to a comment from Myothercarisyourmum / May 1, 2014 at 09:22 am
"Nobody really gives a tug job about Toronto outside of Toronto". Then, why are you here, commenting no less, on blogto?
Tom Greene / May 1, 2014 at 09:25 am
Proof the male species is only getting less mature. Sadly thats how most guys act when not around their wives or girlfriends or any potentials they wajt to "jam". RoFo has enablers. People who support him for a side-show. RoFo is also a trust-fund child. He does NOT need the crack to act a fool, the money does a good job. This is one deeply disturbed human. Yep, he is still human. Some love him for the thrills, some hate him and want him killed. But anyone with a soul and common-sense should be voicing out to their local counsillor to get this man out of Toronto politics and into a 5-10 year rehab program. He may want to leave his big buffoon brother behind though. DoFo is 100% responsible for plotting and pulling the strings on RoFo. If anyone is to blame for the last 4 years of lunacy in Toronto City hall, is 100% Douglas Ford. He started it by pushing RoFo to run for mayor. He fought fiercly and convinced people his brother was ok to be mayor. And when his brother cracked, the DoFo weasal was NOWHERE to be found, hiding out in his basement most likely or on the phone with the lawyer on how to spin this all around. This ford family is one massive embaressment for Toronto and Canada. And btw, where is Canadas leader, the prime minister in all this mess? Probably lighting up his own pipe somewhere on a fishing boat with another soon-to-be disgraced politician. Harper could have also stopped the RoFo fiasco. His guards knew well-before RoFo was a drug-addict and live-grenade. Harper should have stopped RoFo. But he didnt. PU$$Y.
Rafa replying to a comment from Rafa is Daffa / May 1, 2014 at 09:27 am
Fine fine, love...maybe men dressed as women? :D
Kids replying to a comment from John Labatt / May 1, 2014 at 10:14 am
Uh, and the crack video(s)?
LaDonna replying to a comment from Myothercarisyourmum / May 1, 2014 at 10:29 am
You obviously care. Slightly miffed your own burg doesn't get the press you think it so richly deserves? Point being, if your little burg was half as interesting as Toronto you'd be spending your time on a blog source dedicated to it, no?
MHarris replying to a comment from Myothercarisyourmum / May 1, 2014 at 11:25 am
"These silly antics are perhaps the most interesting events that have stemmed from your otherwise tedious and unimaginative town."

That kind of provincial 'let's all hate Toronto' nonsense is what is tedious and unimaginative. I notice you don't mention what fantastic and dynamic burgh you live in.
Lucy / May 1, 2014 at 11:42 am
At the beginning - "it's worth nothing" should be "it's worth noting"
Salvatore / May 1, 2014 at 12:09 pm
I'm gonna do everything in my power to make sure no Italian-Canadian or woman Canadian or any other kind of Canadian ever votes for this scumbag again. Ford, sei un grande coglione. Vaffanculo e parta nostra città!
freddy / May 1, 2014 at 10:23 pm
I agree with Tomgreene
Patricia / May 2, 2014 at 12:16 am
Well, on the positive side... he's pro-voting no matter who it's for. Not much of a plus, but compared to the current federal Tories and the Repubs down south, that viewpoint is almost left-wing. Still needs to get gone.

Wonder if he'd've been much happier remaining a councillor, if Doug had stayed away.
Jak replying to a comment from Myothercarisyourmum / May 2, 2014 at 06:49 pm
An Oshawa resident weighing in.
martino / May 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm
What is surprising is that Rob Ford supporters can literally see past all of this. A true example of how decensitized and vile a large portion of society has become.
Kate replying to a comment from Myothercarisyourmum / May 7, 2014 at 08:00 pm
"Nobody really gives a tug job about Toronto outside of Toronto "

Presumably this excludes people who visit websites specifically about Toronto, to make Toronto-related comments on Toronto-related articles.
Kate replying to a comment from Rafa / May 7, 2014 at 08:05 pm
If you don't understand why either of those things he said are offensive then there's really not much evolved society can do for you in the way of explaining. Maybe you surround yourself with people who all talk like that, but don't evaluate the rest of the world on the basis of the company you keep.
Matt / May 10, 2014 at 02:14 pm
Does Canada not have a one party consent wire tap laws? Who recorded this audio? were they involved in the conversation? Why don't they take credit for the tape? Whats their name i would really like to know. Video recording and photography on a public street is one thing, recording a private conversation in a private establishment is quite another.
Matt / May 10, 2014 at 02:41 pm
Was this recording done legally? Canada does have one party wire tap laws.We had a treasonous premiere and our Priminister and police chief Blair are still standing after the g20. TREASON. and we are worried the mayor said he wanted to perform an act of nature on another being. Burn the WHITCH! stupid sheep.