Saturday, November 22, 2014Mostly Cloudy -2°C

House of the Week: 119 Manning Avenue

Posted by Guest Contributor / April 1, 2014

119 Manning Avenue TorontoThis semi-detached home located at 119 Manning Avenue is a perfect marriage of historic Toronto and modern living. While you might not make the pages of Dwell by default, the set up is ripe for a creative design mind. The interior of the home has been fully renovated into an open concept design, making the narrow space feel bright and spacious. This holds true for the master bedroom as well, which occupies most of the top floor and benefits from a large skylight and a back deck that looks out upon the skyline and the CN Tower. This would be a nice place to wake up (though not, perhaps, with a hangover).

Despite the renovations, the house doesn't feel totally gutted. The hardwood floors, stairways and windows help retain the historic character of the building. And with central air and a new furnace, you can live in 21st century comfort with a 20th century feel. No need to call up HGTV - this home already is an income property. The basement holds a one bedroom apartment with a separate entrance. Even if the apartment itself is nothing to write home about, it's enough to offset some of your mortgage if you can fork for the down payment.

119 Manning AvenueSPECS

• Address: 119 Manning Ave
  • Price: $899,000
  • Lot Size: 14.92 x 135 Feet
  • Bedrooms: 3+1
  • Bathrooms: 3
  • Parking Spaces: 1
  • Taxes: $5,904
  • Walk Score: 98

119 Manning AvenueNOTABLE FEATURES

• Fully renovated open concept home
  • Urban location near Trinity Bellwoods Park
  • Master bedroom deck with views of downtown and the CN Tower

119 Manning AvenueGOOD FOR

Families who want to live downtown or devout west-enders. Those who believe location trumps space. The house is a quick walk to Trinity Bellwoods, Dundas and Ossington, (West) Queen West...you get the picture. You don't have to go far to get to your favourite bars and restaurants.

119 Manning AvenueMOVE ON IF

You have dreams of privacy or a big backyard. The long and skinny lot (less than 15 ft wide!) makes the backyard better for wind sprints than a game of tag. If you're looking for a private space to set up a swing set, this might not be the home for you. And speaking of privacy, this semi-detached shares a wall with the neighbours. Fingers crossed for no crying babies next door.

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning Avenue119 Manning AvenueThanks to The Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) for sponsoring our obsession with Toronto's real estate market.

Read other posts in this series via our House of the Week Pinterest board.

Writing by Isabel Ritchie

TJ / April 1, 2014 at 08:46 am
Done ok. You can tell they took some short-cuts to save money when re-doing the home (i.e. hardwood floors looks like cheap/thin engineered hardwood or laminate, kitchen cabinets only on one side of the kitchen, basic bathrooms like pedestal sink and Home Depot looking sink in the master bathroom). I suppose the price is in line with that people are willing to pay.
jet trash jerry replying to a comment from TJ / April 1, 2014 at 09:26 am
Shot #3: cabinets on both sides of the kitchen.

But are there enough cabinets? NOPE
JR replying to a comment from jet trash jerry / April 1, 2014 at 09:49 am
Nope, only on one. Those are pieces of furniture (I think from EQ3) slid in under tables in that picture. Presumably they wouldn't stay.
Ompikki / April 1, 2014 at 09:56 am
This house is so narrow, it would be like living in a hallway. How is it possible that homes are built so close together!! You could not even walk between the two houses!
E. Toby Coke / April 1, 2014 at 10:52 am
I was kind of "meh" on this house until I saw that piece of cheap scrollwork glued up above the porch.

WOW, THAT TIES IT ALL TOGETHER!!! Now I don't even notice that the roof looks shabby, the porch is sagging, and the other half of the house hasn't been maintained since Diefenbaker.

Peter T / April 1, 2014 at 10:59 am
Wow, what a beautiful home in a great neighborhood! I don't know what the others are talking about, the renos look great. I'd do anything to wake up in this place with a hangover.
Melanie / April 1, 2014 at 11:10 am
I have been looking for a space like this in downtown - so many crap holes on the market, this is refreshing to see an actual nice place in the neighborhood! Oh my god those built-ins. Who designed that? where do you buy those? I wonder if that lighting in the dining room is included? looks like those fancy Lindsey Adelman ones.

That upstairs patio could use more seating to have friends over... I wonder what the backyard is like. I personally think that kitchen is gorgeous - the counters definitely look built in. Could totally host dinner parties and have friends over at a place like that.

Feels very queen west. Love those hardwood floors, crown moldings and built-ins. Does not feel like short cuts to me - ha thats nutty. There's literally nothing else in the neighborhood under $1.2 MM that nice. WANT.

Little Miss Sunshine replying to a comment from TJ / April 1, 2014 at 11:17 am
@TJ I just looked at realtor.ca

Have you seen the other place in the neighborhood at that same price? gross black and white tiles everywhere! Blerggg. This place is more like the town house for $1.2... but who wants to live in a town house?
cathie / April 1, 2014 at 11:19 am
The house is ok on the outside and more than ok on the inside. You would definitely have to do something about the kitchen. Unfortunately, as posted above, when the attached home is less than attractive, there's nothing you can do. I don't want to walk up the stairs to my home and see that one attached to it. Never, never would I buy a semi for that reason.
little miss sunshine replying to a comment from cathie / April 1, 2014 at 11:20 am
@cathy consideration though is energy costs on a detached home?
Jeff / April 1, 2014 at 11:22 am
They have done a very nice job with the space. It is tasteful and looks very comfortable. Home run given the location

neil / April 1, 2014 at 11:26 am
No idea what the naysayers are talking about. This is a stunning house in a fantastic neighborhood. Definitely shows high quality and great workmanship. Great price….
Natalie / April 1, 2014 at 11:34 am
The comments above are somewhat out in left field. How are there negative comments when there are so many positives to focus on in the house? Let's face it, and old house comes with some work, but the majority of the updates have been taken care of! Practically the entire house has been renovated with a unique and well designed interior. The house comes with the fundamentals like bright windows and light, open concept and spacious kitchen. Walkout patio from the master bedroom is rare with a great view. There is space in the kitchen to put more cabinets if you need which would be very easy to install. It appears the house is fitted with lots of storage space on the walls and in the bedroom. This is a great price for the area and all that the house has to offer! It also comes with a basement apartment to generate income. The location and walking score are also invaluable. In my opinion this is a gem. It's hard to find a nice house in Toronto anywhere near this price! My guess is that it won't be on the market long.
Jen / April 1, 2014 at 11:38 am
I wish I could afford this... that neighborhood is blowing up. Great investment http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/toronto-housing-market-a-battlefield---and-cash-is-the-weapon/article17342414/
Perry Como / April 1, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Look at all the whiners above who think this is a bad house. Most of them probably live in their Mom's basement.
Rick / April 1, 2014 at 01:04 pm
...This isnt even downtown....
neonshaun / April 1, 2014 at 01:13 pm
all of these responses sound like ad bots who work for the realtor. "whoa i would love to live there!" "great neighborhood they did a great job!"

cmon.
Totally Not The Realtor / April 1, 2014 at 01:29 pm
Amazing place and TERRIFIC price!
I would burn down my house to move in there!
charlie / April 1, 2014 at 01:35 pm
I personally saw the place and it's really nice + income property. Really well designed with premium finishing... Terroni, Bent and Campagnolo are right down the street. Really great location, but only 3 bedrooms and I have 3 kids...
commedesfaqdown replying to a comment from Rick / April 1, 2014 at 01:36 pm
@rick what is downtown? east of spadina, north of king and south of bloor? LOL
Harvey replying to a comment from jet trash jerry / April 1, 2014 at 02:17 pm
I can only see wall units in the kitchen on one side. so lots space more if you need .i. I was there and the floor is the original hardwood. Easy to be a naysayer if you are guessing.
lindy / April 1, 2014 at 08:38 pm
There is nothing about this reno that helps to "retain the historic character of the building."
giang nguyen / April 1, 2014 at 09:20 pm
Those floors people disparage is because you have no idea that's it's original wood flooring that you can not get anymore unless you have a fortune. They don't make broad thick hardwood that will last and have a patina anymore. The kitchen wasn't splurged on but it's still serviceable and if you buying it easy to add cabinets. For the price and location it's pretty decent.
Jones / April 1, 2014 at 10:02 pm
The attached house is getting a lot of flack when I doubt most people could even afford it, myself included!. Manning is a decent neighbourhood; and I'd take a shabby exterior for that patio view and master bedroom any day.
RRRRita / April 1, 2014 at 10:02 pm
I love living in the city; however, it comes with a price... pun intended. I live in the centre of 3 row houses facing a beautiful park. Close to the subway and 7 minutes to the Gardiner. Separate garage with access from lane-way and a small but very functional backyard. Biggest pain-point is my terrible neighbour to the north. This person live in a decapitated boarding house. They planted a boysenberry tree in the 15x10 backyard. This tree now towers over 20 feet over both our yards and yields thousands of little purple berries every year. I have to clean the yard daily; otherwise, I will have rotting fruit and bugs everywhere. The birds love them and I have purple bird poop bombs everywhere. I can't leave patio furniture out unless it's covered. I refuse to pay someone to come and cut my side of the tree and then try to go after my neighbour for the money. Ha that's a joke! This person hasn't fixed his roof in over 20 years, instead he covered it with solar panels! I only know this because I recently experienced some water damage on the adjoining ceiling. I was told by the inspector that he was supposed to have a permit to do the work. I contacted the city and they said that nothing could be done now that the solar panels are already in. WHAT!!! What's a girl to do?
So as much as I love living in the city you hope you love your neighbour.
Second pain is the renos. I have to do a ton of renos but am thinking twice because of my terrible neighbour.
Is it worth the $100K plus to have to deal with crap to the north?
Anyone wanta buy a house? ;)
PLANIT / April 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm
Great presentation, very nice neighborhood... Why house of the week though? Seen better deals as well as price wars too this week!
shay / April 2, 2014 at 01:16 am
This house is a total winner. I Know so, because I did the staging job!

The photos make it look more narrow than it actually is, it has a beautifully open feel, and you could arrange the furniture in many different ways. The built in shelving in the living room area can hold so much more and still look tidy, the dining room could host a 12 foot table easily. The kitchen has more than enough cabinetry for a couple, as well as enough space to prepare food in the kitchen together. My only only qualm with the place is the loft bathroom. It's not very large and lacks a bathtub (although there's one on the second floor); I would like to make it bigger and more luxurious, and eat into the floor space of the bedroom/dressing area a bit.

There are so many rooms and ways that this home could be decorated. BTW there is also a separate basement unit, not pictured here, so there's rental income (!!) and YES the Light fixture comes with it, as well as any or all of the furniture if you wish!

I would live in this place in a minute, if I could afford it, but I'm sure I cannot because it will certainly go for quite a lot over a million.
shay replying to a comment from neonshaun / April 2, 2014 at 01:19 am
not true that these comments are all positive- i see as many or more negative comments than positive ones. it surprises me, i loved this house the minute i entered it. and although i staged it, i wouldn't bother to write here if I didn't think it was a truly wonderful space, with a great vibe and awesome location.
shay replying to a comment from Melanie / April 2, 2014 at 01:21 am
just FYI to Melanie- the lighting is included!
Bobo / April 2, 2014 at 01:53 pm
Probably my favourite House of the Week so far. Lots of character, great neighbourhood, nice and bright. Yes, they're may be a neighbour issue, but I'd take this over a similarly priced condo.
Jono / April 3, 2014 at 07:39 am
where does the lighting fixture come from ? it looks great.
samantha / April 3, 2014 at 11:14 am
I saw this house and fell in love with it. It was definitely priced low for a bidding war and apparently they didn't get what they wanted because it's now listed for over a million! GREEDY agents and greedy sellers. List what you want for the house and stop falsely creating these bidding war frenzies. Also note that their parking spot is NOT LEGAL. It's not listed with the city as LEGAL front pad parking. It may be grandfathered in but if the city decides you can't park there anymore there goes $40K you paid for parking as a part of the cost of the house - GONE!
cg / April 3, 2014 at 11:48 am
what did it go for??
greedy / April 3, 2014 at 12:37 pm
@samantha ...or they got a lot of offers and repriced based on it
Patrick / April 3, 2014 at 01:34 pm
@Samantha, we also looked into the parking. It actually isn't listed as a parking pad anywhere on the listing. It is listed as separate and private with MPAC and so is not listed as permit parking with the city
cathy / April 3, 2014 at 01:39 pm
OMG I want this place!!!
Jmo / April 3, 2014 at 05:53 pm
They got only 1 offer on Monday for 99% of ask, but didn't offer a sign back because their Realtor told them to expect $1million+...figures when you only need 4 free hours and a 3rd grade education to become an agent
Jmo replying to a comment from shay / April 3, 2014 at 06:03 pm
If it's gonna go for $1million+ why did they only get 1 offer for under $900K?
Thto / April 3, 2014 at 06:40 pm
That bedroom - Swoon!
huston / April 3, 2014 at 07:02 pm
My friend put in an offer yesterday and there were other offers in... they really wanted it. A little paint to the porch once it's warm enough and it's perfect.
Liz replying to a comment from Totally Not The Realtor / April 9, 2014 at 10:55 am
The house is listed on MLS for $1,029,000. I guess the exposure was positive. That's a huge jump in list price.
Jaclyn / April 15, 2014 at 02:47 pm