Tuesday, July 22, 2014Sunny 30°C

Should the TTC be free when it's cold outside?

Posted by Aubrey Jax / March 6, 2014

ttc freeThe winter that never ends is stretching into March like a big jerk, and while the deep freeze has been hard to take, it might make you feel a bit better to know you haven't been imagining things. On and off the record, this winter has totally sucked.

Aside from the December ice storm we've also shivered through over three times as many cold weather alerts than last winter (32 versus 9). This has meant the city's homeless are in need of shelter more than ever, and resources that offer free transit tokens to allow the homeless to get to shelters are being stretched to the limit.

Councillor and TTC commissioner Josh Colle has got Toronto's back, or he's trying to. Colle has forwarded a motion to make the TTC (or, at least, the Blue Night Network) free during cold weather alerts. While the idea is mainly to increase the safety of the city's homeless population, the benefit would be for everyone.

As Colle told The Star, ""I'm not going to have a driver try and determine who's homeless." As with all cool TTC news, there is a catch: the TTC won't have even an answer for a couple of months. Still, this could be insurance against another brutal winter holding us in its clutches next year (sorry for bringing this up).

Should the TTC be free during cold weather alerts?

Photo by blursufing.com in the blogTO Flickr pool

nothanks / March 6, 2014 at 10:47 am
I'm against this. The TTC is crowded as is. I don't think the TTC should ever be free. My dad, who is very poor, still thinks the TTC is the best value in transportation for $3 a ride and I agree with him.
Emz / March 6, 2014 at 10:53 am
I think they should focus more on trying to make it more frequent than free in general
Tory / March 6, 2014 at 10:53 am
The service only gets worse when its cold and stormy. Please don't make it free OR please explain how I'll be reimbursed for the month pass I've paid of but now some of the month has become free for others.
idz. / March 6, 2014 at 10:56 am
If the homeless were smart, they would just sneak onto the Queen car which is POP. Which is never checked anyways.

So free is already happening

brooke / March 6, 2014 at 11:01 am
I don't think it should be free, however I think they should lower the $3 value.
Addie / March 6, 2014 at 11:03 am
To be the black sheep of the comment section, I'm alright with the idea. I saw people in the storms and just overall cold weather who were suffering because they had nowhere to go. Not having the right clothing and shelter in these circumstances is deadly and just because the service isn't up to standard 100% of the time for us doesn't mean the less fortunate should be suffering.
Alexander / March 6, 2014 at 11:05 am
Yes, that's what we need for the TTC to become a mobile homeless shelter when it's cold...awesome.
Jess replying to a comment from Addie / March 6, 2014 at 11:08 am
So are you suggesting the TTC and its stations are to become shelters? The TTC is not the solution for this, you want the less fortunate to ride back forth on the Bloor Line all day to stay warm?
W. K. Lis / March 6, 2014 at 11:10 am
The overnight service, known here as the Blue Night Network, has headways between 15 and 30 minutes. Having it free is a good idea, but needs to be looked at more.

Get overnight service in the 905 transit agencies first.

Too bad KPMG wanted the Blue Night Network cut, under Rob Ford's direction.
zktxo replying to a comment from Alexander / March 6, 2014 at 11:10 am
Not that I condone on the TTC becoming a mobile homeless shelter, but try to see if you can imagine how that homeless person is feeling trying to survive the harsh winter and their only option at that time is to go to the TTC. It's so easy to pass judgment but so difficult to empathize.
tcp / March 6, 2014 at 11:11 am
No TTC shouldn't be free no matter what...
if u see the cold Dont go out is a good option...
R / March 6, 2014 at 11:14 am
Because I'm not a selfish jerk, I don't mind I paid a full month metropass and I care about people suffering in the cold - it's called empathy. I think it's an awesome idea and will make people healthier, happier and safer on the long run. I also think they should put more cars in the streets during cold spells. I am fortunate enough I can cab when it's super cold outside, but most people aren't, and some people can't even afford a token, so use my taxes to help these people. I want the city I live in to be better for everyone, not just me.
Linden / March 6, 2014 at 11:15 am
More friquent and reliable TTC service in the cold weather should be priority. If the homeless people are concern, they are mostly in the downtown core and should be allowed/ provided with opportunities to go to the closest shelter.
R / March 6, 2014 at 11:19 am
And yes, Alexander, I don't mind the TTC becoming a mobile homeless shelter when it's cold. These people are as human as you and me. I'm not better than them and they deserve *at least* a place to hide from the cold, which ideally would be a home, but isn't.
H / March 6, 2014 at 11:34 am
I don't think it should be free, but I don't want to see the Metropass price going up any more than $133 either :| :|
cc / March 6, 2014 at 11:42 am
I am torn on this issue. I do buy a metropass and I don't mind if it were free on cold days to help the homeless. That being said, I would rather taxes and funds went into better homeless outreach in general. This seems like a bandaid solution to me. How about affordable housing, education, outreach, job training, therapists, social workers, clothing and shelters? How about exploring the reasons why we have so many homeless to begin with?
TheGimp / March 6, 2014 at 11:51 am
it's already free when you have fake tokens and fake TTC monthly pass.
MC / March 6, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Think how bad the TTC is when the weather is bad (hell, a rain is enough to cause increased ridership and more delays, resulting in packed vehicles that arrive less frequently). Now add in the fact that it'll be free....it'd be awful to deal with that during a cold rush hour.
Common sense / March 6, 2014 at 12:00 pm
The ttc should always be free. We spend more money enforcing fares then we collect charging 3$ per ride. Also if we eliminate fares, service would be much faster and we would be encouraging more people to ditch their cars.

Gridlock costs Toronto a billion dollars per year, this alone should be incentive enough to provide free, reliable and speedy transit.
james replying to a comment from tcp / March 6, 2014 at 12:16 pm
tcp, did you even read the article? This is trying to address a situation to help homeless people. People who don't have the choice to not go outside when it's cold. Maybe you're just trolling, but when I read comments like yours, I just shake my head at your ignorance.
Tim replying to a comment from zktxo / March 6, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Its easy to assume that all homeless you see have no options when its cold. There are options warming centers, shelters, libraries, and should one choose to go to one.
Sandy / March 6, 2014 at 12:23 pm
If your not a selfish jerk than throw the homeless a token or $3 to help them along thier way. While your riding with your Metro Pass that you get at a corporate or student rate.
james replying to a comment from Tim / March 6, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Tim - the issue at hand is that many homeless people can't get to the warming centres or shelters. The suggestion is to make the TTC free so that homeless people can get to warmer places.
Tim replying to a comment from james / March 6, 2014 at 12:41 pm
It sure is. Let's discuss this summer in prep for next winter. No need to discuss this right now Winters almost over and its really up to the TTC if they can afford to do that without eventually increasing fares for everyone else to cover costs.
Cheryl H / March 6, 2014 at 12:50 pm
I do not think the TTC should be free ever, even when it's cold outside. It's already one of the most expensive transit systems in the world to use and to be honest, not that great when compared to other cities around the world of our size. They're already underfunded, so why make the problem worse?
SW / March 6, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Why would they make it free when more people than ever are seeking shelter on buses and streetcars? If more people are taking the TTC and paying the fare, then they're earning revenue and not needing to raise the fare subsequently. Right?
SW / March 6, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Also... The TTC is not a shelter. Shelters are shelters. Non-profits should look to rec centres to open up temporary shelters in extreme weather. The TTC is for transit and for paying customers. I have empathy - but I don't need to ride the streetcar next to someone making a home out of it.
London / March 6, 2014 at 01:06 pm
Absolutely not! They would use this as an excuse for another fare hike because of lost revenue.
CW / March 6, 2014 at 01:06 pm
This is a loaded question with no facts given to make an informed answer.

Free service means a revenue shortfall. The article states that there were 32 cold alerts this year (9% of all days in the year). That is a lot free. It would be only fair to have the city pick up this amount, as opposed to tranist users, since homelessness is a city issue not a transit issue.

Now that transit is free 9% of the year, service levels will have to increase on those days making it a transit issue. The city would again have to pay for increased costs.

If you don't like that idea, lets talk about taxi chits.
Vanessa / March 6, 2014 at 01:15 pm
I have spent the coldest days of this year shivering outside for up to 25 minutes waiting for a streetcar to arrive at Bathurst Station, one of the city's busiest stations. If there is extra funding, shouldn't it be used to better the service for the paying customers first?
TJ / March 6, 2014 at 01:32 pm
I never have a problem with anything being free!! ....That being said, I think their heart is in the right place....... I was on the street, alone, homeless, hungry and cold, for three years before I somehow, through some Herculean effort or miracle, managed to get back on my feet....... I will never oppose any idea that could save a life.
U'r Stoopid / March 6, 2014 at 01:34 pm
Just because something seems like a solution does NOT make it the best option (or even an option at all). There are MUCH better ways to help the homeless than bankrupting the TTC.

Why don't we all acknowledge the support for this idea for what it really is. People here aren't on board because they want to help the homeless (because if they were there would be a charitable deduction on their pay stub each week. People here are on board with this idea because they are freeloaders looking for a free ride under the pretense of "helping the homeless".

It's disgusting. For those of you who were really serious, give a homeless person a token on the way home tonight (buy them a meal too if you are a really serious) ....to the rest of you get a F'ng job!!!
iSkyscraper / March 6, 2014 at 01:35 pm
While there is an argument to be made for making public transit fully subsidized and free all the time, no, this specific proposal is a bad idea. Politicians need to stay out of transit operations and planning.
s.y. / March 6, 2014 at 01:37 pm
I think this idea can work if it is done correctly. I do not commute to work on the TTC, but my boyfriend does and I can feel his pain when he comments on the service. Making the entire TTC free is not the solution. Maybe it will benefit the homeless for these cold days, but it will also anger your paying customers, many of whom already have issues with the TTC. If I did pay for a metropass, I would have an issue with everyone riding for free. However, rather than leave the less fortunate out in the cold, perhaps the solution is for the TTC to run special, off route buses, that will only pick up patrons (for free) at designated areas, or at certain stations and stops, or whichever option is found to be most effective, and will drop off only at the nearest shelter, or the next available shelter, etc. No pulling the line to request stops around town. This way, hopefully the TTC can help the issue this is meant to address without angering your regular paying customers, without letting homeless people ride around the city all day, and without encouraging those who don't really need the service to take advantage of a free ride to get to the mall. This is something TTC might want to consider, even without the city passing any motion. It can't be too much of an expense for them to run an extra few buses for extreme cold weather days. Probably would do great things for their public image.
cathie / March 6, 2014 at 02:02 pm
The TTC should not be in the business of servicing the homeless. There are many other agencies who specialize in this task. They are experts, let them do their job. The TTC does a lousy job as it is, they don't need another task to take on, for which they are not equipped, and which would create a whole plethora of additional issues and problems.
N / March 6, 2014 at 02:08 pm
I've always thought that if an Express bus was at a red light at a local stop (i.e. not a stop they would normally pick up at) it might be nice to open the doors on a *really* cold day - seems cruel to be at a red light and not just let people on.
tommy replying to a comment from W. K. Lis / March 6, 2014 at 02:16 pm
905 overnight service has absolutely nothing to do with TTC service. If regions outside Toronto want late night service, it's up to them to figure out how to run and fund them. Their existence has no bearing on what Toronto does.
JamesVR / March 6, 2014 at 02:22 pm
You know whats cruel? Me waiting in the freezing cold wanting to pay to get on but having to let 2,3-4 completely full street cars go by on King St or Queen St. Then to try and get on one, having to walk in the opposite direction from my destination into the freezing wind to hopefully get on one at an earlier stop.
rob / March 6, 2014 at 02:26 pm
Why do I have to pay $3 a trip to use the TTC and cars pay nothing to use city streets?
david replying to a comment from nothanks / March 6, 2014 at 02:40 pm
what about you? are you poor? or are you helping your father :P ;)
Grampa / March 6, 2014 at 02:52 pm
The idea of deploying the TTC as a fleet of mobile homeless shelters is just so mind-bogglingly ludicrous I can't believe it is even being discussed with an ounce of seriousness. The fact that this proposal is coming from the chair of the TTC just makes me angry at the depths of bleeding-heart imbecility on council.

Anyway, homeless people people won't use the TTC go to the shelters. They'll just sleep across the bench seats like they do already. And I, paying metropass holder, will have to stand.

Morons.
jooce replying to a comment from Vanessa / March 6, 2014 at 03:05 pm
Why would you spend 25 minutes standing outside at Bathurst? You could just wait inside the large, HEATED station and watch for the streetcar through the windows.

On another note: no free ride for bums.
Freddie / March 6, 2014 at 03:19 pm
The city needs to fix the homeless, housing and shelter issues to start with.

Why does the TTC complain about operating costs and needing more help from the Government on one hand, but then wants to offer a free service on cold days for everyone? If it was currently run efficiently I'd entertain the idea.

Why don't they make an agreement and have shelters or welfare give those in need a 10-20 ride card or tokens to help carry them through the winter.
Freddie / March 6, 2014 at 03:23 pm
Government offices and City Hall should be open to all on cold days and the cafeterias should be all you can eat and drink on those days as well.
OliveGarden / March 6, 2014 at 03:27 pm
Unlimited soup, salad and bread sticks for everyone!!!!
TJ / March 6, 2014 at 03:33 pm
Ultimately, you are asking tax payers to fund the "free days" because TTC will ask the City for shortfall.

Homelessness is not easy to solve. While a few years ago, it used to be that the overwhelming majority of homeless people had some sort of mental disorder (hard to help because drugs to help their mental state could cost hundreds per month), that percentage is likely dropping considering how many "new" young people I see asking for money with their dogs and also some ethnic women/men looking for money. It has become a lucrative venture (based on some conversations I heard from homeless young people travelling through the TTC system to get to "another spot"). I hate to say it but it almost seems the more we try to help the homeless, the more homeless people we will get (by choice or travel here from other cities/provinces).
Ariel replying to a comment from TJ / March 6, 2014 at 03:41 pm
Yes I find it always a tough decision when "the system" gets involved. It's like the system will always be there to catch you.... and its starting from an early age.

Parents don't worry about your responsibilities and feeding your kids breakfast anymore, the schools have got you covered. Why should parents have to feed you. Ohhh and don't worry you can get OSAP and UI and free TTC, the system is always here to catch you
Troy / March 6, 2014 at 03:59 pm
Shouldn't be free. I dont pay for my metropass so others can get free days. Unless they're going to mail me a rebate for each free day.
Kyle / March 6, 2014 at 05:05 pm
If they made the Ttc free on very cold days, they would surely raise the regular fare to compensate.
F Train / March 6, 2014 at 06:22 pm
Rob, Motorist's pay vehicle registration tax plus annual vehicle license plate fees. Where do you think that goes? Plus insurance and gas so I think that's paying more than enough to use the roads.
Brad Ross / March 6, 2014 at 06:24 pm
The motion applies to the Blue Night Network only - the 23 bus and streetcar routes that operate after subway service closes each morning at about 1:30. No suggestion that the TTC be free at all hours during extreme cold alerts, just the Blue Night.
hip / March 6, 2014 at 06:44 pm
TO would still be covered in ice if not for RF.
S replying to a comment from rob / March 6, 2014 at 06:50 pm
uh...because drivers pay licensing fees to the city, we pay for our own gas, our own cars, etc etc etc ?
jb replying to a comment from R / March 6, 2014 at 07:23 pm
Why don't you offer your home to the homeless when it is cold out, R? That would be putting your money where your big mouth is
ellietown / March 6, 2014 at 07:29 pm
How on earth will the system be able to offer enhanced service to anyone during inclement weather?? TTC grinds to a virtual standstill any time anything more than a dusting of snow falls from the sky....
Mahin / March 6, 2014 at 11:58 pm
This isn't a good idea. The city ought to fund/construct homeless shelters. This is akin to the practice of the homeless using libraries as a dormitory that has caught on in many cities. However, at the very least, libraries are free to the public--the TTC isn't. Given how crowded the TTC is, this is a recipe for disaster. If we want to help the homeless, we ought to address the issues that render them homeless.
randomtask / March 7, 2014 at 01:52 am
ooook. I will begin by saying the ttc should not be free since people already pay monthly/weekly or even yearly for metropasses just so people can ride for free? That would be a no-go since for sure there will be no rebate on those days. Also the ttc keeps hiking the fare for no reason, they dont improve at All stil same crap service as it was with the fare was 1.50, drivers who drive off when people are running to the stop, no frequent service, delays in the subway for absolutely no reason. For a 3$ fare it should be improved. Look at japanese transit... or transit from around the world. Its cheaper and has completely better service. Making it free for the homeless will just anger pretty much any ttc rider.the prices will go up again and itll be an ongoing issue. I just think they should bring the fare down to 1.00. The homeless could afford that and everyone else will be happy to pay what the ttc is worth, plus at that price people wont use cars which means alot more people will ride and they will break even on revenue. You can disagree or agree with me but it still wont change the fact that ttc still struggles with paying patrons.
p replying to a comment from Grampa / March 7, 2014 at 08:23 am
You sound fun
Gail / March 7, 2014 at 09:53 am
So well were on weather extreme's should it not also be free during heat waves when cooling centers and pools are open late?
The less fortunate, elderly and weak are just as vulnerable during extreme heat alerts as well. Specially with global warming we could end up with a ton of free days on the TTC for everyone!!!!!
cheryl / March 7, 2014 at 09:59 am
People have this notion that the homeless are just like everyone else except they happen to be "down on their luck". Most homeless are mentally ill or addicts. You want to pay a fare to ride a bus with a bunch of addicted people who may be off their meds who got to ride for free? You want to ride with that long haired guy who hangs out near the Primrose Hotel and likes to scream obscenities at people as they walk walk by and then follows them down the street? I thought not. Why don't we just buy the homeless a bus ticket to Florida? it would be less expensive in the long run.

Hark / March 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm
WTF? Why would anyone think it should be "free" for everyone because it is cold? Nothing is "Free". Zero. Zip. Nada. Regular riders and taxpayers cover whatever is given away as "free". I would be in favour of a program that would distribute some free tokens to homeless people, but the bulk of riders don't just drop their tokens and lose them in the snow; they can still afford to pay.
Kstar / March 7, 2014 at 03:25 pm
The TTC needs more funding from the province to improve/extend service AND lower fares -- it is the least publicly subsidized transit system in North America.

There are lots of places in the world where public transit is free during select times, in certain areas, or in places like Tallinn, fully fare-free. This is the way of the future. Canadians are proud that we have free public health care, an idea that was once unthinkable. It took imagination and political will to make it happen.

cheryl replying to a comment from Kstar / March 7, 2014 at 03:47 pm
We don't have "free public healthcare." We have government funded healthcare. Big difference. Nothing is free.
TTC sucks / March 7, 2014 at 04:35 pm
The TTC is ALREADY FREE. TTC union employees will not stop a person from boarding without paying a fare, as their policy is to avoid potential confrontation at any cost. I've regularly watched panhandlers board the TTC without POP and, when I've asked the driver about it, they told me off for asking. Next time you want to ride for free, just do it.
BleedingHeartCon / March 7, 2014 at 11:53 pm
The previous poster is correct. Anyone without money and in need of assistance can ask the TTC for help. It's been that way for years. You just have to let staff know.

Colle is merely responding to a problem, created for the homeless, due to the introduction of the Presto Pass (he could care less about homeless people). There will be no more tokens or tickets to give to them, and cash isn't a good idea either because many have addiction issues. Can't give them 10-20 passes either, because they'll end up selling them.

You all need to relax. This won't cost you anymore money, but boy is Presto going to be high maintenance and that will, eventually. You have Stinz to thank for that, not the homeless.

Quit using the homeless as your scapegoats for high taxes and the like. You'd be surprised at how little you contribute to the cause, and it's already buried in the taxes you do pay.

For those of you with a heart, you need to know once a person gets into a shelter, they DO have access to priority THC housing (if they wish), healthcare, social workers, showers, laundry, food and lodging. It's getting them to the shelters, hence the free token or ride, that's the problem. Bed shortages are also a problem, so I would like it very much if you bugged your councillors for more beds. If you've got it you could give them a token and this toll free number to call, 877-338-3398. It will let them know where there's an open bed, after they do a short intake. I myself prefer not to give them cash.

BleedingHeartCon / March 7, 2014 at 11:57 pm

BleedingHeartCon / March 8, 2014 at 12:00 am

BleedingHeartCon / March 8, 2014 at 12:01 am

BleedingHeartCon / March 8, 2014 at 12:03 am

BleedingHeartCon / March 8, 2014 at 12:07 am
BleedingHeartCon / March 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

For you others if it's not too time consuming, could you at least be decent enough and have them call 211, where they can also receive help.

FYI, homeless people have been riding transit along side you for years. The reason you don't know this is because you've got a stereotype stuck in your head. Not all homeless people are mentally ill, dirty, drunk or stoned.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from idz. / March 9, 2014 at 03:38 pm
They can only do that at certain times of the day and certain stops, though.

As for the Presto pass, BleedingHeartCon is right, just as I was; this pass is a POS that we didn't need at all, but that was forced on us due to certain people feeling that the TTC needed the latest flashy thing that other cities in London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong have (forgetting that we have a big homeless population that can't have a pass like this due to not having a bank account to load money onto them from!) We didn't need any flashy thing with a beep, but we go them anyway-just to be 'world class' like other cities.

Best thing to do? Let's resolve the issues regarding homelessness, hunger, and housing FIRST before we put any shovels into the ground for a DRL OR some new flashy RFID card that we didn't really need but were prodded into because of the 'other kids have it, why can't I?' bullshit permeating society. Even more better? Let's get full funding of the TTC back, so that fares can be lowered enough for people to be able to get about on it.
cantbelievemyeyes replying to a comment from Common sense / March 10, 2014 at 12:32 am
Did you really and truly just say the ttc should always be free, and then give yourself the name Common Sense? Who the hell is going to pay for the free ride, may I ask?
Alex replying to a comment from Grampa / March 10, 2014 at 04:21 pm
And, of course, they'll use the TTC to beg for the change they just spent to get on the TTC to beg etc...
Alex replying to a comment from F Train / March 10, 2014 at 04:23 pm
No, the VRT has been cancelled since RoFo got into his tiny brain that we didn't need such revenue.